Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spatula City posted:

Also, you will believe in the love story between an anthropomorphized computer and a dimwitted DJ from Jacksonville. :3:

"I wasn't a failed DJ! I was pre-successful!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There's no real spoilers, but Ted Danson's smile in THE GOOD PLACE was a wonderful moment.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Good Place spoiler : Yeah it was killer, the laugh too.

Someone predicted the twist in the first page of the thread, real glad I didn't follow it until now .Some shows are just better off not reading the thread about it.

EDIT: Just saw the warning to not discuss it. Put the post in a spoiler and will stop.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 21, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watched the first 3 eps of Sneaky Pete. Good, not great. Pretty much nothing stands out in any way, except maybe the cast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

Watched the first 3 eps of Sneaky Pete. Good, not great. Pretty much nothing stands out in any way, except maybe the cast.

The web of lies and cons gets better and better. And the cast is just phenomenal so that helps quite a bit.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Shageletic posted:

Good Place spoiler : Yeah it was killer, the laugh too.

Someone predicted the twist in the first page of the thread, real glad I didn't follow it until now .Some shows are just better off not reading the thread about it.

EDIT: Just saw the warning to not discuss it. Put the post in a spoiler and will stop.

I never would have watched it without that spoiler though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you want to see some similar themes check out the Black Mirror episode "Nosedive." It's a bit darker and it's also written by the creator of The Good Place.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Less good though

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stop judging things on a point scale, dude.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's -50 for the sass-mouth.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Not enough love for Jason's stick-figure rendition of the Kama Sutra :v:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Next Sunday, Black Sails returns for it's 4th and final season.

If you haven't watched this show, reevaluate your life choices and fix that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0UYpfzBFR8

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

precision posted:

Not enough love for Jason's stick-figure rendition of the Kama Sutra :v:

I want to try the 'Webcrawler'

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So it seems like over the last few months there's been a metric ton of new original content from Netflix and Amazon to the point that I can't even keep track.

Which ones are worth watching?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
*50 different people give you 50 different answers*

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

So it seems like over the last few months there's been a metric ton of new original content from Netflix and Amazon to the point that I can't even keep track.

All of them.

But not The OA.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My personal preferred streaming debuts from last year include One Mississippi, Lady Dynamite, The Get Down, and Easy. The Crown was also good. Series of Unfortunate Events just dropped and is rad, while Sneaky Pete is fun if you like Justified.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

All of them.

But not The OA.

:agreed:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Goliath on AP is pretty rad so far. I'm 5 eps in.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Escobarbarian posted:

Sneaky Pete is fun if you like Justified.

I've seen all the Sneaky Pete posts in the thread and skimmed over it mainly because I knew I had other stuff to watch, but I feel like that is the perfect sell for it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Stranger Things, Sneaky Pete, Sense8 Christmas Episode. Stay far the gently caress away from The OA unless you believe in the healing power of crappy interpretive dance...and hate yourself.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Stranger Things, Sneaky Pete, Sense8 Christmas Episode. Stay far the gently caress away from The OA unless you believe in the healing power of crappy interpretive dance...and hate yourself.

The OA is a really, really great show! Seven episodes is a strange pick for number of episodes in a season, but whatever, I can't wait to see what next season brings!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Frontier is wacky and fun.

Is no one else watching Frontier?

*only seen two episodes

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

-Blackadder- posted:

I've felt like that for close to a year now.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Well, Netflix is spending $6,000,000,000 on original programming this year, so it's only going to get harder to keep up.

That number is not a typo.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Their goal is to premiere one new season of programming every week, eventually it is going to be functionally impossible for a person with a full-time job and a life to watch everything they make.

And that is OK.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think they're just trying to build up a huge catalog of their own shows so they can stop licensing other stuff. They've already drastically reduced the amount of licensed content they have the last few years. In five years or so I can imagine Netflix being just Netflix original programming.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Which sucks because that's still the main reason people pay for their subscription. Netflix make good poo poo, but their content isn't worth any kind of streaming service price by itself.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

I think they're just trying to build up a huge catalog of their own shows so they can stop licensing other stuff. They've already drastically reduced the amount of licensed content they have the last few years. In five years or so I can imagine Netflix being just Netflix original programming.

That would probably get me to cancel my sub since it's so freaking hard to figure out what of their new stuff is worth watching outside the handful I already watch. It's already way harder to find docs I haven't seen on netflix lately.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A part of it is that also these giant media companies want more of the share on their old stuff and many are pulling things in order to start their own individual services. Soon if you want to watch a CBS or NBC or FOX show you'll have to sub to their own service. It'll be the a la carte cable service people have been asking for the last decade and now that they're getting it they won't be happy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now six episodes in, and Sneaky Pete is hooking me a lot more. Ep 4 is probably the turning point. It's so fun to watch the screws turn. And I'd update my description to "Justified x Banshee in Connecticut".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

X-O posted:

A part of it is that also these giant media companies want more of the share on their old stuff and many are pulling things in order to start their own individual services. Soon if you want to watch a CBS or NBC or FOX show you'll have to sub to their own service. It'll be the a la carte cable service people have been asking for the last decade and now that they're getting it they won't be happy.

That's already starting to fall flat on it's face. CBS is backing off their rhetoric and have entered into licensing agreements with Hulu. They also backed off BIG time on CW content and made the deal with Netflix even more favorable rather than launching their own streaming service.

Keep in mind that Netflix licenses all their stuff, even Netflix Originals. For example, A Series of Unfortunate Events is a Paramount Television production ultimately. Netflix is just the first run and OTT distributor.

What may be more accurate to say is Netflix wants to license more first run exclusive distribution content rather than back catalog OTT licensing.

Ultimately, I see this as bouncing at some point in time. OTT streaming of past seasons may be withdrawn and used as an attempt to launch network paid services, but it's destined to fail. The networks will see that this lowers the value of their brand and come crawling back to Netflix and Amazon to license their content, now at lower rates.

In the meantime, viewership continues to fall, networks take fewer advertising dollars in, and Netflix will have all the money to outbid on quality content. At the end of the day, there may not be much WORTH watching on traditional networks in 10 years.

The big thing to ponder here is that Netflix manages to turn a profit while investing back into licensing original content and paying out money to the likes of CBS, ABC, and NBC.

All while charging $10 /month. This complex arrangement of carriage fees and advertising tracking to figure out rates is outmoded when you can deliver direct to the customer and have direct metrics on what maintains your subscription rates. We are eventually going to see a collapse of the TV advertising industry because it's going to become more costly to administer than they get back in dollars.

IRQ posted:

That would probably get me to cancel my sub since it's so freaking hard to figure out what of their new stuff is worth watching outside the handful I already watch.

How is that different from any other TV show out there though?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

less laughter posted:

Well, Netflix is spending $6,000,000,000 on original programming this year, so it's only going to get harder to keep up.
That number is not a typo.

lm-loving-ao thats cartoonish, and impossible to counter. All you need is a single hit to erase like 10 flops, and flops are hard to come by when your demographics are so laser focused you can produce a show to target a group of like ~5000 people in a small village in mexico because the algorithm noticed numbers were slumping there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bring back old gbs posted:

lm-loving-ao thats cartoonish, and impossible to counter. All you need is a single hit to erase like 10 flops, and flops are hard to come by when your demographics are so laser focused you can produce a show to target a group of like ~5000 people in a small village in mexico because the algorithm noticed numbers were slumping there.

I believe Netflix have said before that not every series needs to be a home run. I believe they said they were fine with a bunt single and home run every now and then. I'm also pretty sure they used that exact baseball metaphor to say it as well.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Yeah, much like HBO their goal is getting subscribers rather than sheer viewer numbers for ad revenue, so making something that has a tiny viewership is a net good if it brings people on board or convinces them to stay subscribed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What are the chief metrics of TV success in the post-Netflix landscape?

I can't imagine ratings are necessarily worth what they used to be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

What are the chief metrics of TV success in the post-Netflix landscape?

I can't imagine ratings are necessarily worth what they used to be.

For late night talk shows they now care more about a segment going viral than actual ratings.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

James Corden is insufferable because every interview turns into a segment about himself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I for one welcome our Netflix overlords. They've done really well with original/exclusive content so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amazon has the HBO back library so I think I like them more. Also Hannibal.

• Locked thread