Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
it's something that we all desire. A little humiliation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:ducksiren:

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

MeLKoR posted:

Yeah, that must be why they're ending the segment. :haw:

CIG why you pay Wulf and you no pay me? :byodood:

I skimmed the 'Happy Hour' stream and to be fair Sean Tracy was talking most of the time (while everyone else was very distracted shooting icons)

Tidbits:

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Progress is steady

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:chanpop:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Chunjee posted:

:laffo: didn't they say they were working on the patcher a year ago? And now they are thinking that maybe something should be done about the patcher at some point in the future?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

I bet this guy buys a lot of ships

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Black Pants posted:

I'm a little confused about something. Hasn't EVE been doing - since like 2001 - the things that Star Citizen proponents say are "things nobody has ever done before?" I mean, sure there isn't first person cockpit flying of your ships, but you're in a huge persistent universe where people live actual lives. You can do anything in EVE. The sky's the limit in EVE. Aaaaaand it's generally criticised for being directionless and boring as poo poo unless you interact with others and join an organisation. And even then you might get stuck as an accountant, factoryworker, long-distance spacetrucker or pizza delivery boy. I can't figure out why people think Star Citizen will make all of that more interesting and exciting than EVE does.

Pretty much, yes. There's also a first-person camera and direct ship control in EVE now. The one thing EVE doesn't have is the seamless transition between different type of areas: in-station is separated from in-space with a load screen, and planetary gameplay is just a UI overlay (or if you still count Dust 514, a completely different game), whereas SC doggedly tries to stick to its first-person viewpoint (that is best seen in third-person).

…but that's something that's hardly new either, and the supposed scale doesn't really make it any special over the bajillion first-person sandboxes that have been around since the mid-80s.

Astroniomix posted:

Space Engineers does this already.

…as does KSP, and Serious Sam, and even E:D on a much larger scale.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 22, 2017

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Mr. F! posted:

Nice breakdown of a dude walking around a coffee table. You even have expertise to throw into your breakdown, as evidenced by your ability to reference a time you walked around a coffee table. You should consider a job as a sports analyst, you'd do a great job :allears:

Yeah, I'm good at pointing out the obvious thing that everyone is thinking but are being too polite/coy to say it. Sugar coating things is for kids. :)

By the way, morbidly obese guy is going to die from being a fat gently caress. :D

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

Pretty much, yes. There's also a first-person camera and direct ship control in EVE now. The one thing EVE doesn't have is the seamless transition between different type of areas: in-station is separated from in-space with a load screen, and planetary gameplay is just a UI overlay (or if you still count Dust 514, a completely different game), whereas SC doggedly tries to stick to its first-person viewpoint (that is best seen in third-person).

…but that's something that's hardly new either, and the supposed scale doesn't really make it any special over the bajillion first-person sandboxes that have been around since the mid-80s.

…as does KSP, and Serious Sam, and even E:D on a much larger scale.

Nice thing about airlocks is that they make for great invisible loading screens.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

LastCaress posted:

Progress is steady

wow numbers getting bigger all the time

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

wow numbers getting bigger all the time

3.0 in Q1, that's like three full commercial releases!

That's solid progress. Check and mate, goonie :smug:

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

MeLKoR posted:

:laffo: didn't they say they were working on the patcher a year ago? And now they are thinking that maybe something should be done about the patcher at some point in the future?

I remember Chris saying the patcher was being worked on and it would be improved very soon.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I miss 10FTC and all the wild promises.

If they hadn't canceled it, crobblers would be transferring our conciousness into the game by now.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Chalks posted:

Wow so did arf really leave his bat signal on all night just because space toaster said a mean thing?

What does this bat signal look like?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Ah... star citizen, eh?

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 22, 2017

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

MeLKoR posted:

A patcher requires a coherent file structure and standard file naming.
Something I think this game will never have.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

happyhippy posted:

A patcher requires a coherent file structure and standard file naming.
Something I think this game will never have.

Do you still have to download the whole thing every patch?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
After so much arguing with Ben Parry over the fact that CryEngine/StarEngine/Lumberyard all use the concept of "levels" - and him denying it and trying to hand wave the concept, here is Sean Tracy - again - in a recent stream saying that they are in fact levels. Oh and "Megamap" isn't really "mega". So there's that.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sillybones posted:

they got it down to like 8-15gb updates for PTU. Progress.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Sillybones posted:

Yes.

According to the guy on that video, they also do this internally. Exchanging 10s of gigabytes for each build between developers.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I believe it still slams every possible inch of bandwidth as well.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
lol the gently caress does this ship even do

http://imgur.com/a/UM1hH

Pilot, set thrusters for autism drive, we're going into the depths of social ineptness the likes of not even Captain B`Tak understands.

Roger that commander, the wankpod is awaiting your "entry."

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

Yeah, I'm good at pointing out the obvious thing that everyone is thinking but are being too polite/coy to say it. Sugar coating things is for kids. :)

By the way, morbidly obese guy is going to die from being a fat gently caress. :D

Again congrats at being able to walk around a coffee table real quick. And for owning a stop watch

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

nawledgelambo posted:

lol the gently caress does this ship even do

http://imgur.com/a/UM1hH

Pilot, set thrusters for autism drive, we're going into the depths of social ineptness the likes of not even Captain B`Tak understands.

Roger that commander, the wankpod is awaiting your "entry."

CIG's run out of ships to Archer so they just decided "gently caress it man just make a box with a chair in it these morons will buy anything."

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Seeing my friend who wants to be a developer poo poo out high-poly assets and features faster than star citizen really gives you a deep disrespect for these idiots.
They have the money, the talent and the manpower yet they're doing a terrible loving job at content creation which really speaks volumes about Chris Roberts' skill as a director.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

nopantsjack posted:

Seeing my friend who wants to be a developer poo poo out high-poly assets and features faster than star citizen really gives you a deep disrespect for these idiots.
They have the money, the talent and the manpower yet they're doing a terrible loving job at content creation which really speaks volumes about Chris Roberts' skill as a director.

The problem is that they ARE making GBS threads out high-poly assets, but Chris is sperging out and not loving settling for one final design.
It's not the artists fault (mainly).
They create things, but 6 months later Chris decides that he meant ANOTHER way or Call of Duty did it better, so they have to scrap it and start again.

When the bailiffs start selling off the assets in a few years time, we will see the large amount of concept art and such.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

D_Smart posted:

After so much arguing with Ben Parry over the fact that CryEngine/StarEngine/Lumberyard all use the concept of "levels" - and him denying it and trying to hand wave the concept, here is Sean Tracy - again - in a recent stream saying that they are in fact levels. Oh and "Megamap" isn't really "mega". So there's that.

To be fair, he's saying that CryEngine and Lumberyard have regular levels, whereas StarEngine just have that one singular generic space around the player that new objects are placed into on the fly.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Star%20Citizen

4PM GMT on a Sunday. Around 80 fans watching Star Citizen streamers.

Have the SC community lost interest too?

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Tippis posted:

To be fair, he's saying that CryEngine and Lumberyard have regular levels, whereas StarEngine just have that one singular generic space around the player that new objects are placed into on the fly.

Here he says they have got rid of that pesky stage concept in their lumberyard build. IE done. sure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK2ZBCeKKuQ&t=2390s

\/ \/ \/ Not sure what you are describing then \/ \/ \/

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 22, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Chunjee posted:

Here he says they have got rid of that concept already. IE done. sure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK2ZBCeKKuQ&t=2390s

By “that concept”, I take it you mean levels rather than what I was describing.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

And this is how you spell scam in Alienese

Xaerael posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b6tWxM_d0o
As an expert in GleepGlop linguistics, I can confirm that text reads "Get a Refund"

:eyepop:

SelenicMartian posted:

The linguist in me is almost tempted to watch this atv instead of scanning it for gifs. Maybe later.

It was interesting, worth a watch imo. Aside from being a complete squandering of funds on such a minute detail; but you know ~fidelity~

That reminds me of one more thing

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tippis posted:

Listen from 39:11 again because, to me, he clearly lumped StarEngine in that "level". The only difference being that their "MegaMap" concept doesn't do any pre-loading like a traditional level does. Instead, it streams in what's needed around the player. So, it is still a level - albeit a container. - But while a standard level includes everything in it and requires preloading, their MegaMap doesn't preload anything. Instead it is "demand loaded" (he calls it streaming, which is still a fancy word for loading).

You know the hilarious part? This is what I did in all my Battlecruiser/Universal Combat games. In fact, I described it in detail right here. My tech doesn't have the concept of "levels", but an empty object/blob/scene is still a level, except that there's nothing in it but placeholders which determine what gets loaded/streamed when that area is "in scope".

So they basically - again - took an old concept, gave it a fancy name, while confusing the entire premise. Which is why Ben Parry swears up and down that they're not "levels" per se. Semantics.

So Ben Parry was on the Open House stream after I left. This segment is him talking about my posting that Ali B had left.

This despite the fact that it was Ali B who changed his own social media profiles to reflect the change.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/821434931968700416

BEFORE:

AFTER:

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 22, 2017

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Lol, I find this to be hilarious.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Suppose...

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

happyhippy posted:

The problem is that they ARE making GBS threads out high-poly assets, but Chris is sperging out and not loving settling for one final design.
It's not the artists fault (mainly).
They create things, but 6 months later Chris decides that he meant ANOTHER way or Call of Duty did it better, so they have to scrap it and start again.

When the bailiffs start selling off the assets in a few years time, we will see the large amount of concept art and such.

Designers being designers will often keep on being creative above and beyond the scope of the project given leeway - a good creative director knows at exactly what point to clamp down and say 'quit being creative and let's move on'. Of course in this case you have some random Chris trying to micromanage, disrupt your carefully thought out schedules. I imagine the code side is similar - your lead devs and department heads should be taking the coders best estimates, doubling it, and then passing that up the chain to product managers who are the guardians of the roadmap and ultimately responsible for making sure that feature X is built into the product and QA'ed by date Y. There are plenty of variations on the theme and job titles, but most large companies work somewhat like this (speaking as a senior dev in a team of some 50-60 people working on products used by some million people a day). Something is going dreadfully wrong somewhere in the normal structure of software development. Even when we've had bad management or someone vital has left/fallen ill, we can hit the targets on our roadmap +/- 5 working days. These guys aren't even getting close for basics.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I think trawling through pages and pages of ten million word posts about star citizen to laugh at them is real weird, and that also following people through their twitters to make fun of their families and interior decorations is kind of hosed up. I guess it's not doxxing anymore but it's still weird as all hell.

Either way, please, don't constantly harass and follow people online because they had the wrong opinion of videogames. Don't doxx anyone, and don't send them any hateful messages.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

ArfJason posted:

I think trawling through pages and pages of ten million word posts about star citizen to laugh at them is real weird, and that also following people through their twitters to make fun of their families and interior decorations is kind of hosed up. I guess it's not doxxing anymore but it's still weird as all hell.

Either way, please, don't constantly harass and follow people online because they had the wrong opinion of videogames. Don't doxx anyone, and don't send them any hateful messages.

they arent ten million word posts they top out at a 1000 max.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Mr. F! posted:

Again congrats at being able to walk around a coffee table real quick. And for owning a stop watch

I'm sorry stopwatches are beyond your means. :shrug:

Was there a point or were you just being a tard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Chunjee posted:

\/ \/ \/ Not sure what you are describing then \/ \/ \/

He's differentiating between CryEngine/Lumberyard from “what we've done” — i.e. what's in StarEngine and its MegaMap concept.

D_Smart posted:

Listen from 39:11 again because, to me, he clearly lumped StarEngine in that "level". The only difference being that their "MegaMap" concept doesn't do any pre-loading like a traditional level does. Instead, it streams in what's needed around the player. So, it is still a level - albeit a container.

Sure, in the sense of “level” = “scene”. The distinction he's making is that the other variations of the engine include the entire scene setup as well — all item positions, NPCs, scripts, and all associated assets yadda yadda — which have been predetermined to form that “level” and which have to be loaded as the level is loaded.

So sure, it has been done in a myriad of other engines before, but it's still a neat subversion even down to a semantic level of one of the cornerstones of the base engine, so I kind of understand that they want to differentiate it from how CE/LY does it by not calling it a “level” any more.

quote:

You know the hilarious part? This is what I did in all my Battlecruiser/Universal Combat games.
Nah. That's not the hilarious part. The hilarious part is that, if they actually pushed this concept — the unanchored player-centric space as the subjective “scene” — then they wouldn't even need all the other fancy tech they've been talking about. They wouldn't need 64bit positioning because nothing in that subjective space would require that precision. They wouldn't need local physics grids, because you are only ever exactly where you are and everything else is just Algebra 101 base transforms. What they'd need is the exact thing they're not doing: highly customised and hardened server code running on custom hardware to deal with the (relatively) low-data, but matrix-operation-heavy requirements of keeping track of everyone. :D

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 22, 2017