Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Granny driving a 5 speed accord? Wanna :hf: that granny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My grandma hated autos and drove a manual till her late 70s because her shoulders were starting to play up. Then she got an auto.

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it

Somewhat Heroic posted:

She just turned 92, a lot of that time was driving on gravel roads too. Rally Granny!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That Accord is awesome as hell, a true time capsule. 80s cars are the best and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Terrible Robot posted:

That Accord is awesome as hell, a true time capsule. 80s cars are the best and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise.

Same.

Wish I could find a late 80s Prelude in the same condition.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You can get the mk3 Preludes stupidly low and they're already low as standard.

Stood next to the front of it, your kneecaps are a solid few inches above the bumper

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You can get the mk3 Preludes stupidly low and they're already low as standard.

Stood next to the front of it, your kneecaps are a solid few inches above the bumper

Oh, I mean time-capsule condition. They've all been modded to hell and back.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Same.

1987 Honda Prelude

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5929274045.html

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

Oh, I mean time-capsule condition. They've all been modded to hell and back.

Every one I've seen here has at most had wheels and coilovers. Raise the coilovers up, throw the stock wheels on and there you go.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

My wife is going to love you for that.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

lil bip posted:

The interior is basically perfect too.

I plan to work on the exterior trim and such over the next couple of months when I have some free time.

That wheel is pretty cool. Not familiar with Honda interiors other than the NSX but yours is one of the few I wouldn't switch out for an aftermarket one from what I've come across.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Every one I've seen here has at most had wheels and coilovers. Raise the coilovers up, throw the stock wheels on and there you go.

I've always wanted to get a clean 90 or 91, and swap an H22 in.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

LeeMajors posted:

Same.

All this talk (and good pictures!) of little 80's Hondas makes me really miss my 88 Prelude. "Pixie" was excellent, and about once a month I browse Kijiji for another one. From what I've seen, an unmolested 3rd-Gen in decent shape will have an asking price of around $3000 :canada: - more for one in really nice condition (rust is a big problem for those cars in this country), up to around $5000, less for one with some kind of probably-but-not-certainly easily fixable problem like bad brakes or needing a new starter or radiator. There is also a steady supply of track rats, typically for $1000 or less and missing varing amounts of stuff you'd need to drive it on the street (lights, glass, an exhaust system that extends past the manifold, etc.). And a few heavily modified examples pop up* from time to time that have been lowered to the floor, have unusual wheels, and have been painted something exotic. Occassionally you can find an interesting engine swap.

The hardest 3rd-gen feature to find is the 4-wheel-steering, which is something I want but most sellers are clueless and don't even take a good picture of the back end where the "4WS" sticker shows up.

* pun or irony? you decide - many of these mod-stars have had their pop-up headlights fixed into the "sleepy eye" position.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

My wife is going to love you for that.

:q:

That car has been popping up on one of my CL searches ("manual rare") for at least a month, maybe more.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

gently caress. I didn't know I wanted a Prelude until now.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

savesthedayrocks posted:

I've always wanted to get a clean 90 or 91, and swap an H22 in.

I had a 92 Prelude Si w/ 4 wheel steering. Blew the motor and had a questionable shop do an H22 swap. Never quite got the VTEC to KICKINRIGHTYO, and wiring in the 4WS was a major pain in the rear end. It ended up getting stolen pretty soon after.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

eyebeem posted:

I had a 92 Prelude Si w/ 4 wheel steering. Blew the motor and had a questionable shop do an H22 swap. Never quite got the VTEC to KICKINRIGHTYO, and wiring in the 4WS was a major pain in the rear end. It ended up getting stolen pretty soon after.

80sHondaCoupe.txt

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

Thief posted:

That wheel is pretty cool. Not familiar with Honda interiors other than the NSX but yours is one of the few I wouldn't switch out for an aftermarket one from what I've come across.

Yeah I agree, I won't be driving it enough to warrant changing it. The only modifications I am really planning on are to improve handling a bit and anything else is purely maintenance.

Might put in a stereo though. If I can find something that does not look atrocious.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Why can't auto manufacturers make really handsome cloth buckets that hold up over time like that? Those just look so right and welcoming.

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Why can't auto manufacturers make really handsome cloth buckets that hold up over time like that? Those just look so right and welcoming.

People got too fat for them

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

lil bip posted:

Yeah I agree, I won't be driving it enough to warrant changing it. The only modifications I am really planning on are to improve handling a bit and anything else is purely maintenance.

Might put in a stereo though. If I can find something that does not look atrocious.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kienzle-MCR...X8AAOxy5rpSN0N6

I was looking at getting a couple of these for my e28 and W126 because they're more period correct, maybe you'll have better luck finding them in australia than here in the states

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

rscott posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kienzle-MCR...X8AAOxy5rpSN0N6

I was looking at getting a couple of these for my e28 and W126 because they're more period correct, maybe you'll have better luck finding them in australia than here in the states

That's the same unit I bought for the E28. I still haven't installed it :effort: but it should look a hell of a lot better than the one that came with the car.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I love my (90's) Prelude interior. 20 years and the seats are still like new. No matter what else I have kicking around, I always have to have a Honda in the stable just for driving simplicity and fun, and simple ergonomic interiors.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
My first car was a 91 Prelude SI 4WS and I stupidly sold it after college. I regret it every day, I really miss that thing. This is not helping...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I learned to drive in a '92 Civic; miss that car. Thankfully it was a manual, so I could learn that at the same time.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Everyone should own an old Honda IMO, a friend owns an 84 Civic hatchback and it's the most fun car to drive. It weighs nothing, has no power (76bhp from factory) and is startlingly basic inside but it's just a brilliant car. I now find myself looking at similar.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Honda have a bit of a softspot in my heart after my old Integra. Maybe not so much today but all their cars felt like they were designed and built by people who love cars.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I have this car in my "saved ads" just because I like to look at it once in a while and think about buying it. Of course I always come to the conclusion that for over $3k (lol) it's an hilariously bad idea to by a car that is rust prone and very hard to get parts for.

But there is a certain coolness to 70's / 80's Hondas. I really like the front.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I love my (90's) Prelude interior. 20 years and the seats are still like new. No matter what else I have kicking around, I always have to have a Honda in the stable just for driving simplicity and fun, and simple ergonomic interiors.

I have a pair of '97 Prelude seats to put in my Cutlass when I get around to it. For one thing, Honda was one of the few manufacturers to do black interiors, and further, in coupes. Plus, they're comfy, sporty seats.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
When I was a kid my dad had a Japanese market 1987 Accord. Silver with BBS alloys, 5 speed and the 160ps version of the B20a but a blue interior (seats, dashboard, door panels and even the carpets)

It was such a great car for the time, especially seeing as my dad worked for GM at the time and had previously had a string of Camira company cars (Camira was the Australian version of the J body)

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

I have a massive soft spot for Honda interiors, even when particularly barebones, they still look nice and don't seem to rot away as bad as their peers.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
i bought a thing today for $700 :canada:

to do this with it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Turning a Civic into a Yaris seems like a lot of work.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Had a '87 Civic. Tan interior. Seriously, the seats showed no signs of wear after 120,000 miles and the plastic bits remained solid. Whatever they made that cloth out of, it could survive as flooring material in a high traffic adult theater.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Counterpoint: I had a 94 Civic Si and the rear seats looked like dogshit after I spilled a gallon of interior house paint on them when I was 18.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Crustashio posted:

i bought a thing today for $700 :canada:

$700 in :canada:?

I don't believe you. :colbert:

You didn't take advantage of some Parkinson's patient or something did you?

Good score. What's wrong with it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

lil bip posted:

I have a massive soft spot for Honda interiors, even when particularly barebones, they still look nice and don't seem to rot away as bad as their peers.
Yeah, Subaru and Honda seats seem extremely durable. I've got one little tear in my '92 Civic driver's seat that I think was caused by someone sitting on their keys.

If the junkyard ever produces one that doesn't smell of weed and/or living-in-my-car grime I will probably be able to swap out that seat easily.

slidebite posted:

I'm with this guy. I paid $700 for the aforementioned Civic and it was easily the most hogged-out car I've ever owned. Please come here and make good deals like this for me, thanks.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 22, 2017

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

slidebite posted:

Bought it from a friend who's moving to ontario and wanted to sell before he left. It was a NFLD car so it needed NS safety which seemed to turn people off? He had it listed for weeks and 700 was the best offer he got so I matched it. I thought that was reasonable for the worst generation of civic.

Needs a few things:

-Rear sway links
-Tie rods
-Drum brakes adjuster/new shoes installed
-Pre-cat o2

It also an issue with the evap system and a seized AC compressor, but those won't be getting fixed. I only bought it for rallycross, it will pretty much sit in a friends driveway otherwise.

The important part is the body is insanely not rusty for an east coast car. There's surface rust but no soft spots anywhere and we checked it on a hoist.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 22, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only thing wrong with my 94 Civic interior is cig burns from the PO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I bought a truck.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 23, 2017