Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

chaoslord posted:

Gonna eat dinner and read the thread now does anyone have a quick summary for me? tia

Most is scum, imo. That's what I got for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

IllegallySober posted:

Though I respectfully disagree, I will defend your right to say it to the death

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

IllegallySober posted:

Sold ##vote moat

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
I honestly could see it.

his vote on me is just piling on, and he hasn't said anything at all apart from this

Moatillata posted:

stickup is scum.. its p obvious by now. He is fighting waaaay to hard

##vote sticky

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Yeah my play has been lazy and as far as D1 lynches go I'm not a bad choice but I'm VT and I have p extensively breadcrumbed my character

That was a bad vote by CL tho

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

One thing I was confused about - if the Red Mage level 1 "power" is just having reduced cost to switch out of the job, how are you supposed to gain more proficiency in Red Maging except by constantly switching in and out of it at the slow rate of 1 change per day? But then I just answered my own question while I was trying to look up what CPig said:

CapitalistPig posted:

Skill Levels:

Each job will grow in skill levels the more you use its powers, Each job will have tiers of power as follows.

Job:
Skill Level 1: Power
Skill Level 3: 2nd Power
Skill Level 5: 3rd Power

Each time you use a power your skill level will raise, to a maximum of 5.
Your Skill level will also be raise by 1 for each day/night cycle that you remain in the job.

Now what I'm still confused about is how CPig will deal with spells in his system. In the game, you didn't learn spells by levelling up in a job. The job just determined which spells you were allowed to use at the time. You learned spells by finding spellbook items or buying them from a shop, not from leveling up in a job. But there's no gold in this game apparently, just CP. So how do we learn the spells? Is it by leveling up in the jobs after all?

Like a Black Mage could use all black magic eventually, while a Red Mage could only use the more basic spells in both white and black magic. But according to Asiina, a Red Mage doesn't have the ability to do jack poo poo at level 1. (not even attack?) This sounds pretty drat weird. Unless all jobs start with jack poo poo and you need to level up a bit to do stuff with them, so we don't have pure role madness right out the gate.

Anyway, this exercise has got me thinking that Asiina has a bit of a point that revealing some mechanics could be helpful, so town can get a better understanding of how this poo poo works. But if we're locked in to only 1 change per day, and it's probably too late for most people now anyway, I don't see any point to it right now. It could at least wait till D2 so scum wouldn't have any idea of who's better to target tonight. Then tomorrow, just a few people who feel safe doing so could confirm some details in the morning, before people make their choices for D2 of whether they wanna switch jobs or not.

Also, anyone right about to be lynched could obviously just fullclaim whatever they know on the way out.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Guys I'm really loving tired and am going to sleep. Someone tell me where to put my vote so we don't no lynch. I promise starting tmrw I'll actually be around.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

BottleKnight posted:

I will find the scum in the next 48 hours, mark my words

Did you find the scum?

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
##vote moat, it rhymes!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Mr. F! posted:

Hello everyone, I've not read anything yet and I dont plan to until t-minus 7 hours to lynch. See y'all later.

If you are in the scum doc with mg please remind him he said this and it is time to read the thread tia

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
I'm p good with my stickup vote as he had scum claimed and is a badmans

I am the king and a goodmans

God bless you all

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

ok I'm feeling Moat for just as scummy as stickup right now. Part of it is cause stickup thought Tobbs was scummy, and I kind of agree with that, so that's a point in stickup's favor. But I really didn't like the feeling of stickup possibly sucking up to me. Not just the "I agree with Bif" thing, but also this:

this is a stickup posted:

bif please save me from these hooligans

Usually when I get that feeling and convince myself to not take my running joke too seriously, it turns out they were scum after all :v:

##vote stickup

still a bit suss on BK too though btw

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Lots of lurkers itt

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote Tobbs

Mafia dad.

MMT what was with this vote?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
##vote asiina scum

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I rnged and got ##vote moat. Sorry if you're town, but you're tied for vote leader and I'm sleeping now

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
##vote ANarc

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

##vote asiina scum

Hey Kash you actually going to try this game?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I rnged and got ##vote moat. Sorry if you're town, but you're tied for vote leader and I'm sleeping now

note to self: come back to this to check out AN if Moat flips town. Helping to swing the vote in Moat's direction to build momentum at a time when they were tied, while disclaiming responsibility cause it was "rng"

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Bifauxnen posted:

One thing I was confused about - if the Red Mage level 1 "power" is just having reduced cost to switch out of the job, how are you supposed to gain more proficiency in Red Maging except by constantly switching in and out of it at the slow rate of 1 change per day? But then I just answered my own question while I was trying to look up what CPig said:

Now what I'm still confused about is how CPig will deal with spells in his system. In the game, you didn't learn spells by levelling up in a job. The job just determined which spells you were allowed to use at the time. You learned spells by finding spellbook items or buying them from a shop, not from leveling up in a job. But there's no gold in this game apparently, just CP. So how do we learn the spells? Is it by leveling up in the jobs after all?

Like a Black Mage could use all black magic eventually, while a Red Mage could only use the more basic spells in both white and black magic. But according to Asiina, a Red Mage doesn't have the ability to do jack poo poo at level 1. (not even attack?) This sounds pretty drat weird. Unless all jobs start with jack poo poo and you need to level up a bit to do stuff with them, so we don't have pure role madness right out the gate.

Anyway, this exercise has got me thinking that Asiina has a bit of a point that revealing some mechanics could be helpful, so town can get a better understanding of how this poo poo works. But if we're locked in to only 1 change per day, and it's probably too late for most people now anyway, I don't see any point to it right now. It could at least wait till D2 so scum wouldn't have any idea of who's better to target tonight. Then tomorrow, just a few people who feel safe doing so could confirm some details in the morning, before people make their choices for D2 of whether they wanna switch jobs or not.

Also, anyone right about to be lynched could obviously just fullclaim whatever they know on the way out.

Right, I can't do anything which is partially why I think it's useful to claim. Like maybe the higher levels for Red Mage are better, but that really runs counter to what a Red Mage is.

Maybe because scum don't have a kill it's just going to be a bunch of night cycles of nothing until people level up, I'm not sure. I'm fine waiting until D2, since there's no harm in it you're not going to get NK'd, but I do think in general more information is better than less information.

I do agree with your last point though, that anyone who is about to be lynched should definitely claim whatever they know.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I don't like this Mafia Dad term like, why build more barriers.

No reads, nothing helpful. Class set. Nnnnot sure we necessarily want to lynch someone? They don't have a night kill, so...

I mean, poo poo'll get crazy but theoretically just raw statistics what if you're wrong? Scum got 5 points to spend today and that's it (assuming they didn't get more somehow) which puts them at a disadvantage. Each individual town player is an asset and a mislynch hurts us.

This argument might seem super scummy but the way I see it, knowing that town has no clue to target and scum can coordinate, they have an advantage in trying to convince us to kill just the player we might end up wanting because of some abilities. Yeah, it'd be fantastic to win the bet and nail scum and I know ya'll are gonna blast on and on regardless but I'm reading every drat word and none of your flopping around makes sense to me

I think I'm maybe really messed up atm and loving what do I know but losing a town player sucks more when we are all getting progressively more powerful (scum is too) it seems to me that a NL rather than being the end of the wood would be a good thing.

I'll be the first to cop that this argument is scummy, I've locked my job in, I think it's a good choice.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

Hey Kash you actually going to try this game?

yeah during the week I will be able to read it I had a really busy weekend

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

peramene posted:

Scum got 5 points to spend today and that's it (assuming they didn't get more somehow) which puts them at a disadvantage.

Thought all players got points for the first event? They were just shorted on the second event.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

CapitalistPig posted:

Every player gets 10 CP!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

maybe if we'd killed the turtles even harder with some quick decisive ice spells instead of a long protracted battle we could've got a superior result where town gained more instead of breaking even? Just sayin :v:

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Bifauxnen posted:

note to self: come back to this to check out AN if Moat flips town. Helping to swing the vote in Moat's direction to build momentum at a time when they were tied, while disclaiming responsibility cause it was "rng"

I'm sure everyone would be bitching if I wasn't voting anyone at deadline so I just picked one of the vote leaders. I honestly don't have an opinion because, like I said, I've had an insane weekend and I'm exhausted and didn't get to properly read the thread. But tell yourself whatever you want.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

RE: The KB/Asiina thing, I don't get a scum read from Asiina. Her posts were "KB isnt trying", "I expect more from you", and "You don't get active in jokephase." KB replies with this, bolding mine.

King Burgundy posted:

Your response to this question:

Was this:

Which goes counter to what you said before. What you are saying doesn't hang together. Please explain to me what I normally do during joke phase if your claim is now seemingly that I don't participate and simultaneously I also try harder?

This sounds damning to Asiina until you realize what KB should be saying is "your claim is now seemingly that I don't participate [in jokephase] and simultaneously I also try harder?" which is not a contradiction. It's a logical pairing. It's clear Asiina draws a distinction between "active in game" and "active in joking". KB is really stretching to make this be a contradiction imo.

Whether she has a good point, imo, is another thing, but her opinion is consistent and trying to sell it as not looks bad imo.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Bifauxnen posted:

maybe if we'd killed the turtles even harder with some quick decisive ice spells instead of a long protracted battle we could've got a superior result where town gained more instead of breaking even? Just sayin :v:

I lied again

bif is the scum

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

:yeah: a good post

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I'm sure everyone would be bitching if I wasn't voting anyone at deadline so I just picked one of the vote leaders. I honestly don't have an opinion because, like I said, I've had an insane weekend and I'm exhausted and didn't get to properly read the thread. But tell yourself whatever you want.

this is a good post

chaoslord posted:

RE: The KB/Asiina thing, I don't get a scum read from Asiina. Her posts were "KB isnt trying", "I expect more from you", and "You don't get active in jokephase." KB replies with this, bolding mine.

This sounds damning to Asiina until you realize what KB should be saying is "your claim is now seemingly that I don't participate [in jokephase] and simultaneously I also try harder?" which is not a contradiction. It's a logical pairing. It's clear Asiina draws a distinction between "active in game" and "active in joking". KB is really stretching to make this be a contradiction imo.

Whether she has a good point, imo, is another thing, but her opinion is consistent and trying to sell it as not looks bad imo.

i already claimed the scum team but no one is willing to vote it so :shrug:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALEwLnq1ZrI

These are the journal entries of famed archaeologist Doctor Takahashi, recollected from the "Merk's Tomb" dig site, which has since been quarantined. Doctor Takahashi's writings are fragmentary and presented as they were found, unchanged.

JOURNAL #2010:

DOCTOR TAKAHASHI: For years, I have extensively documented the mysterious artifacts known as "cases." Who created the cases? For what purpose did they serve these ancient peoples? No matter how many hours I spent pouring myself into my research, I could not uncover the answer. For months I tossed and turned, my mind a miasma of sorrow and rage. I began to think that the only way to understand the minds of these case-makers, was to attempt to make a case MYSELF. My colleagues call this endeavor a "ferocious obsession," but I remain steadfast. Thankfully, my laboratory assistant, "IllegallySober," has agreed to support me in this. They will attempt to make cases of their own, and in turn be the subject of my case.

IllegallySober posted:

Hello, joining late is better than not joining at all.

Option B

DOCTOR TAKAHASHI: Though not a member of the Proto-Humanoid race of peoples known as "Mafia Players" myself, I was confident in my ability to imitate their actions. My only hope is that it is safe to do so. For what use is knowledge, if one loses his soul? Nevertheless, I surmised that my specimen seemed... self-conscious. They had made an excuse for themselves being late, despite the lack of any impetus, urging, or harassment from their peers. From this, I gathered that, perhaps, they were hiding something.

JOURNAL #2015

IllegallySober posted:

I dunno, I kind of have the same feeling Asiina does w/r/t KB, but it's in the context of very few games with him. I feel KB is a strong town player and makes good lengthy cases as town but I'm not sure I'd say that a few jokes during D1 makes him scum. It's worth watching, though.

DOCTOR TAKAHASHI: It has been three days since I began making the "case." Astonishing to think that the structure of these artifacts remained largely the same over thousands of years, as the populace that invented them was overtaken and swollen with savages from the Southeast, but I digress. Here, I once again take note of my subject's anxious heart. In so many words, they
had brought up two opposing arguments, and both rejected and embraced them at the same time. This behaviour speaks of a narcissistic mind, concerned only with itself. I begin to grow disgusted with my fellow. I know that they are hiding something. I will uncover the truth.

A piece of writing from another researcher, the only one of its kind, was also recovered. From our best estimates, It would seem to fit in somewhere between entries 2015 and 2030 of Takahashi's writings.

JOURNAL X:

UNKNOWN: Dr Takahashi's obsession is truly frightening...some say he is part Mafia Player himself. I feel extremely uneasy with him heading this expedition. Our numbers have thinned considerably from the many traps set to protect the tomb of "Merk." Yet we slouch onward without reluctance, as if pulled deeper by some unseen hand...

JOURNAL #2030

IllegallySober posted:

Look how disingenuous you are :allears:

From the same walk through you posted:

In the next cave go down-left for a chest (500 gil). Then go to the skull at the top-right corner. Zoom in and you see that it shines. Activate it and the wall will upon up. Continue along the path and enter the next room, where Princess Sara will join the party.

##vote Moatillata

DOCTOR TAKAHASHI: Since the dawn of civilization, mankind has been enthralled and stupefied by the majestic glory of Merk. His influence holds language even today. Who has not said that they would like to be "as good as Merk," or described their hatred of the Australians as "Merk-like"? Injudicious nu-humans would deny us this benevolent heritage in favor of an insensitive and vacuous populism. My fellow researcher was a perfect example of this. After so long into our expedition, they still approached their casework with such non-nonchalance. How could they not see the importance of what we were doing?! They continued to rely on what the [unintelligible] called "Joke-phase."

But that is at an end now. I have found the resting place of Merk. He has spoken to me. He has told me that there is a way to blow away the noxious miasma infesting our country and reinstate His divine rule. The offering of blood and spirit has been made. Their is only one step left. I will now sever my own head and place it upon the cerebral chrono-platform.

After an investigation of Merk's Tomb, Doctor Takahashi and his fellow researchers were declared missing. There were fresh blood spatters found in many corridors and rooms, but no bodies. The burial chamber room was also found completely empty. An investigation into these disappearances is ongoing.

##vote illegallysober

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Catching back up.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

this is a stickup posted:

I lied again

bif is the scum

it's fuckin weird how literally everyone else just went straight to voting B without hardly any comment at all for that event. Some scum in there trying to play it cool instead of make any rippples.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

not sure if good post or not

but this song isn't even from the right game!!!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

your not from the right game bitch

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
it is true. i am, in fact, not an anime

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

GulagDolls posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALEwLnq1ZrI

These are the journal entries of famed archaeologist Doctor Takahashi, recollected from the "Merk's Tomb" dig site, which has since been quarantined. Doctor Takahashi's writings are fragmentary and presented as they were found, unchanged.

JOURNAL #2010:

DOCTOR TAKAHASHI: For years, I have extensively documented the mysterious artifacts known as "cases." Who created the cases? For what purpose did they serve these ancient peoples? No matter how many hours I spent pouring myself into my research, I could not uncover the answer. For months I tossed and turned, my mind a miasma of sorrow and rage. I began to think that the only way to understand the minds of these case-makers, was to attempt to make a case MYSELF. My colleagues call this endeavor a "ferocious obsession," but I remain steadfast. Thankfully, my laboratory assistant, "IllegallySober," has agreed to support me in this. They will attempt to make cases of their own, and in turn be the subject of my case.

DOCTOR TAKAHASHI: Though not a member of the Proto-Humanoid race of peoples known as "Mafia Players" myself, I was confident in my ability to imitate their actions. My only hope is that it is safe to do so. For what use is knowledge, if one loses his soul? Nevertheless, I surmised that my specimen seemed... self-conscious. They had made an excuse for themselves being late, despite the lack of any impetus, urging, or harassment from their peers. From this, I gathered that, perhaps, they were hiding something.

JOURNAL #2015

DOCTOR TAKAHASHI: It has been three days since I began making the "case." Astonishing to think that the structure of these artifacts remained largely the same over thousands of years, as the populace that invented them was overtaken and swollen with savages from the Southeast, but I digress. Here, I once again take note of my subject's anxious heart. In so many words, they
had brought up two opposing arguments, and both rejected and embraced them at the same time. This behaviour speaks of a narcissistic mind, concerned only with itself. I begin to grow disgusted with my fellow. I know that they are hiding something. I will uncover the truth.

A piece of writing from another researcher, the only one of its kind, was also recovered. From our best estimates, It would seem to fit in somewhere between entries 2015 and 2030 of Takahashi's writings.

JOURNAL X:

UNKNOWN: Dr Takahashi's obsession is truly frightening...some say he is part Mafia Player himself. I feel extremely uneasy with him heading this expedition. Our numbers have thinned considerably from the many traps set to protect the tomb of "Merk." Yet we slouch onward without reluctance, as if pulled deeper by some unseen hand...

JOURNAL #2030

DOCTOR TAKAHASHI: Since the dawn of civilization, mankind has been enthralled and stupefied by the majestic glory of Merk. His influence holds language even today. Who has not said that they would like to be "as good as Merk," or described their hatred of the Australians as "Merk-like"? Injudicious nu-humans would deny us this benevolent heritage in favor of an insensitive and vacuous populism. My fellow researcher was a perfect example of this. After so long into our expedition, they still approached their casework with such non-nonchalance. How could they not see the importance of what we were doing?! They continued to rely on what the [unintelligible] called "Joke-phase."

But that is at an end now. I have found the resting place of Merk. He has spoken to me. He has told me that there is a way to blow away the noxious miasma infesting our country and reinstate His divine rule. The offering of blood and spirit has been made. Their is only one step left. I will now sever my own head and place it upon the cerebral chrono-platform.

After an investigation of Merk's Tomb, Doctor Takahashi and his fellow researchers were declared missing. There were fresh blood spatters found in many corridors and rooms, but no bodies. The burial chamber room was also found completely empty. An investigation into these disappearances is ongoing.

##vote illegallysober

Uh, sure, whatever this is? I have no idea what to even respond to here.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

GUILTY

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I really like that case

a lot

##vote IllegallySober

the fact that he cannot at least appreciate its pure artistry makes his reaction all the more scummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Bifauxnen posted:

I really like that case

a lot

##vote IllegallySober

the fact that he cannot at least appreciate its pure artistry makes his reaction all the more scummy
I like this reaction less tbh

• Locked thread