Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I have a border collie, 7 years old, (I've only had him for 6 months) and this time 4 months ago he was 32lbs, just in line with what hes supposeed to be, and only about 7 lbs heavier than when i first obtained him.). But he went for his checkup yesterday and now hes ballooned to 65 lbs. Please help, because the dog doctor said hes obese and wont last another 2 months if it continues, and that if he were a human of my height and had the equivalent weight gain he would be almost 400lbs, and that the dog already probably has arthritis from all the extera strain on his legs. I've started to monitor his weight at home too, but my scale is coming up with 73lbs whitch is just not possible, though i think i know why it might be a bit off. Please help, I dont know what im doing wrong ( i dont think im feeding him too much, hes gone for his scheduled check-ups, he doesnt seem to have any abnormal growths or anything, and he seems fine nuerologically) and would rather not have to go through the exhaustive process of selecting the optimal dog ( low-mantainence, smart, not smelly). Could he just be retaining too much water, should i maybe feed him a gluten-free diet, or is my dog perhaps genetically predeposed to this stuff and was just being witheld food from his crappy previous owner? any and all advice is welcome and appreciated!
EDIT: Sorry if i seem a bit loopy or anything like that but i have some pretty sever undiagnosed ADD/Aspergers so im very sporadic and not too good with words or anything.

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Okay, some basic questions:

What are you feeding him?
How much daily?
Any treats?
What is his daily exercise like?

Also in what universe is a border collie low-maintenance?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Okay, some basic questions:

What are you feeding him?
How much daily?
Any treats?
What is his daily exercise like?

Also in what universe is a border collie low-maintenance?

I try to feed him 2-3 times a day, just a scoop of food(Usually Purina Dog Chow) but sometimes he asks for more and i give it to him( he gets a bit "mouthy" if i withhold food from him if you know what I mean. To be completely honest, hes been a bit more aggresive ever since i got a concussion 3-4 months ago). As far as treats go he usually gets a treat 1 or 2 times a day, but so im not sure that's the problem, as my friend told me that dairy products are great for dogs.

I take him for walks about 2 times a week, so I dont think exercise is the concern. He used to be really hyper, but hes been a lot slower with all the weight gain so thank god for that. He used to sprint around my apartment like a maniac, which would give me a heart attack because TECHNICALLY im not supposed to have a dog here. But the landlord is basically senile, and the other tenants stay quiet as long as i dont complain about their constant smoking. But yeah i just take him around the block a few times and hes pretty exhausted by the end of it, which leads me to believe that he really got a good workout and was buring lots of calories.

And I figured Border Collies are really smart dogs, so they can get along with minimal intervention. I mean who knows a dogs needs better than the dog himself? I dont want to gently caress up anything about this dog anymore than i have, and judging how passionate he is when I dont listen to him I dont think really in a position to question his motives. After all, Im no dog expert

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Oh boy. Okay, going to assume you aren't trolling. If you truly aren't, that should give you an indication how bad this situation is.

First off, border collies are both a high energy and high intelligence breed. How your apartment isn't in shreds, I don't know. No, super intelligent dogs can't get along with minimal interaction. It's the exact opposite. So walk your freakin' dog daily. Hell, twice daily.

I'm not even going to get into nutrition right now. Look on your bag of dog food and follow the directions for how much he should get for his ideal weight. Feed that daily and not any more.

Can you please post a picture of your fat dog? I want to see your morbidly obese border collie that may or may not exist.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

going to assume you aren't trolling
Good lord why.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Your dog would like to walk or run about 15 miles a day, ideally followed by 2 hours of high quality intelligence based play. Every day, until it gets too old, then gradually reduce it as the dog gets older. It's a collie, the most intelligent of all dog breeds, bred to run after sheep 8 hours a day.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but yes you'll need to devote a lot more time to your dog. Dogs also will overeat and beg for food. We need to figure out what the best way for you to work with your pup is. You need to work with a dog trainer who uses positive training methods to work with some of the behavior problems. I don't think you'll be able to do this alone, sorry.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hope your pup is doing well. Boy I just noticed the OP is from Christmas time. Let us know.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Oh jeez. What exactly is "a scoop"? Like, a cup? Or one of those 3 cup scoops I used to see some people bring with their dog food when boarding it at the kennel I worked at? Big difference, and I'm gonna guess it's the latter(or worse than that), and not the former, because if your dog gained 2x it's weight in 4 months, it wouldn't be on 2-3 cups a day. Walking 2 times a week? For a BC? :psyduck: You need to feed the dog less and exercise it more, same as you would if you were trying to lose weight. You're rewarding your dog for bad behavior by feeding it when it gets mouthy. When it starts doing that, nondramatically remove either it or yourself from it's presence(leave the room, or put the dog in another room). What you're teaching it is it gets what it wants if it starts biting you.

Post the fat dog.

Look on your bag of dog food and follow the directions for how much he should get for his ideal weight. Feed that daily and not any more.

I wouldn't even feed the amount on the bag, since that almost always results in overfeeding(for numerous reasons like they don't want to get sued for someone starving their dog so they go on the high end, and they sell more food that way, etc)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I think you should first secede from the union so as to spare yourself from Trump. Then your dog should become your new country's first astronaut.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ok guys, calm down. That doesn't help. This person obviously wants help. These flippant answers don't help.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

CharlesM posted:

Ok guys, calm down. That doesn't help. This person obviously wants help. These flippant answers don't help.

Mine wasn't flippant. His dog gained 2x its weight in 4 months, I said they needed to adjust diet and exercise it more.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Psychobabble! posted:

Mine wasn't flippant. His dog gained 2x its weight in 4 months, I said they needed to adjust diet and exercise it more.

Sorry I over reacted myself. I meant the thing about Donald Trump.

Anyway I don't think we can really help this person through the internet too much. They're obviously autistic or something and need somebody in person to help them. I'm hoping the OP will come back with more info so maybe we can refer them to somebody helpful.

I didn't realize the OP was from Dec 26 when I first replied. Oh well.

Saffronica
Feb 10, 2009
Hi, border collies are intelligent and need exercise, plenty of it. I have a border collie too. To give you some idea, here's what I do with my dog:

Weight:
My dog weighs in at 40lbs, which is the around the ideal weight for a border collie.

Exercise:
He is taken out for exercise (off lead running, play fetch) at least once a day if the weather is bad for a minimum of 45 minutes. But usually two or three if the weather is okay. If you don't like walking a lot, take him to a secure space, an enclosed park or something and take a ball with you. You can just stand there and throw the ball for him. Or whatever toy your dog likes to play with. Also it's good for you to get some fresh air.

Feed:
I feed my dog twice a day, about 155g per feed on a higher calorie content feed (because he's so active), which equates to about half a cup for each meal. The type of feed will vary as it is based on your dogs energy levels.

Although if you want to be sure you're doing the right thing, it would be a good idea to see a vet nurse or vet and ask them for advice on:

1. How much daily exercise should my dog have and for how long? (You could tell them where you take your dog for a walk and also ask if there are any dog parks in walking distance)

2. What sort of food should I be feeding my dog and roughly how much per day? (As your dog is obese, they may be able to recommend a low fat feed to help bring the weight down slow and steady)

I hope this gives you a better idea on what sort of things you need to do to help your dog be more happier and healthier. I know you don't mean to make your dog unhealthy. Hopefully this will help you take the first steps to make your dog a healthier and happier dog :)

Saffronica
Feb 10, 2009
Ah, just noticed Op posted Christmas time. D'oh :doh:

Ah well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

His killer whale disguised as a border collie ate him.

• Locked thread