Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Amazon has the HBO back library so I think I like them more. Also Hannibal.

Not in the UK :( but it did just get Seinfeld here which is a decent swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wheat Loaf posted:

What are the chief metrics of TV success in the post-Netflix landscape?

I can't imagine ratings are necessarily worth what they used to be.

Much like Netflix or a premium channel, more and more of the revenue is coming from subs. That's why channel disputes between MSOs and networks are becoming more and more common. MSO pays for each channel that they offer on the servers times the number of subscribers to that channel. So, networks keep trying to increase carriage fees as well as bundle channels together to force more purchases.

Ad revenue has been increasing as well (mainly due to the breadth of content rather than high ratings on fewer shows) but TV is increasingly more expensive to make.

One issue is carriage fees can only go so far before they price themselves out of the market. Cable companies are pushing back with increasingly more success as well.

It's due for a correction. The bundling is being resisted now by cable companies and consumers alike. That's likely going to mean a contraction of the market and many channels being pushed to VOD/OTT distribution with more short form content that can go viral. If you can produce content 10 minutes at a time with pre/post roll ads and/or with subscription revenue, you stand to make up revenue in volume.

What's really going to be interesting is what happens to the OTA primetime model. Right now they are scraping extra revenue from the MSOs for carriage fees, but threats to pull channels can only go so far when someone can just put up an antenna and watch for free. So, you are going to see continue erosion of the timeslot to commercials (probably with hour shows clocking in at around the 35 minute mark for content with half hour shows barely managing 16 minutes) along with product placement. In the end though, compromising quality in this way is going to allow the Netflixes and Amazons of the world to eat their lunch completely. Ultimately, primetime is going to need to be subsidized from pay channels and I think that means we'll eventually see a reduction of content. They'll probably give up the 10pm slot first, then drop Friday's and Saturdays altogether.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bottom line for us is that we can get Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now and Fandor all for less than we'd pay for the most basic cable package (even taking into account that we get our Internet from a cable company).

That's a poo poo ton more content for less money, so I really don't feel like complaining.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The thing is, cable is actually still much cheaper for anyone that actually already has a bundle with cable internet and would want to sub to even just the HBO, Showtime, Starz and sports packages and then you still get all the other channels too. Because I use my own cablecard equipment for internet and cable I end paying around $150 or so a month for cable and internet service and that gives me HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, and TMC. Then I also have access to all my College Basketball and NBA games that I want that I'd have to track down and pay for through other means. I have access to all the ESPN3 services. It would be beyond stupid for me drop cable. My internet alone would be over half that if I dropped the bundle and then I'd need to sub to all those services and and it would actually be more than I'm paying for internet and cable with all the premiums now. And that's not even taking into consideration being able to record shows and having access to other channels like USA, Syfy, History etc.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, I love piracy

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Escobarbarian posted:

Man, I love piracy

You live in the UK right? I'd probably steal other people's better TV too then.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My problem is that I don't give one iota of gently caress about anything sports related and I resent having to pay for them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hear that. I get Dish so I can watch Cubs and Bulls games, and maybe the Bears if I hate myself.

Working on getting my Dish box upgraded to 16 channels recording ability at once and 4k.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bull3964 posted:

My problem is that I don't give one iota of gently caress about anything sports related and I resent having to pay for them.

Your problem cannot be solved. No matter what service you get from whoever you're going to pay for a lot of poo poo you don't want. Unless you just buy individual episodes of shows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

X-O posted:

Your problem cannot be solved. No matter what service you get from whoever you're going to pay for a lot of poo poo you don't want. Unless you just buy individual episodes of shows.

I've done that math and it is actually cheaper and higher quality. At the moment I'm just stuck in a contract.

This year was the real turning point. With a 65" OLED, cable video quality just can't cut it anymore. Putting my TiVo on OTA for CW and a handful of other network stuff, dong Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Now and Starz and then purchasing the balance from Google play or vudu has me saving something like $250 / year.

Edit: You actually have me examining it again. Looks like they actually would let me bump down to just local TV package which would save $52 /month while retaining Starz and HBO. $52 /month buys about 31 seasons of TV shows a year at a $20/season average. That's actually somewhat attractive and something I might do.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 23, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like to buy everything I want to watch on DVD where I can because I want to support stuff in a small way but my dad pays our TV licence and none of us have ever been able to work out exactly who USB paying for Netflix and how. I admit I'm a dreadful square. :D

Today I was watching The Librarians (I think it is fun) and ran into an odd problem where the DVD just straight-up chopped out a good 10 minutes of an episode! That was very odd indeed never run into anything like that before on a DVD. No idea how that sort of thing happens.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I pay $65 a month and it includes HBO, Showtime and 15 other premium movie channels, plus wrestling, UFC and boxing PPVs. And a bunch of American TV channels you can't get in Canada normally.

They're just straight up pirating stuff and selling access.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the biggest waste of my money was buying all those DVDs just to fill my shelves with DVDs. After I got rid of all my physical media it was like taking a satisfying fat poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah if you don't watch a lot of different shows buying episodes is much more reasonable than you might think

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the biggest waste of my money was buying all those DVDs just to fill my shelves with DVDs. After I got rid of all my physical media it was like taking a satisfying fat poo poo.

Right? gently caress physical media.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still buy DVDs and Blu Rays but its basically down to movies that I know I'll want to see a bunch of times or are part of some kind of collection. Plus you can get DVDs crazy cheap these days if you're just bored and seeing what's on sale on Amazon or in a bargain bin. I rather drop $5 or $10 to own that movie than to expand my Netflix to the DVD option and then deal with the mail stuff if I decide I want to rewatch something.

But man, I hate all those TV shows I bought on DVD years ago and now just serve no purpose because they're all on one streaming service or another. Especially those super expensive HBO ones. I love you Wire, but you're just a big waste of money staring me in the face.

But also I'm an old fart and I just last year held my breath and threw out like 3 garbage bags of VHS tapes. For some reason I hoarding those things for like a decade after I had a working VCR and it was a weird pain/relief to tossing them out finally.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I went to get oil at Walmart and they had a huge bin of 99 cent DVDs and it was actual known films not direct to video crap so yeah, you can build a DVD library for very cheap.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, quality is still higher on the disc. I mean, for most stuff I'm fine with the streaming copy, but things I really love I want in the best quality possible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I still absolutely by regular and UHD Blurays for movies. I prefer them over streaming. For TV shows it depends. If I really love the show or it's exceptionally good looking, like Vikings, I will definitely buy the bluray. Especially if it also comes with a digital code.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just watch everything on my iPad or laptop now so streaming quality doesn't matter as much. Just 1080p is perfectly fine for the foreseeable future for me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its funny, for like 3 or 4 years I was watching everything on my computer or iPad and then a year ago I got a decent TV second hand from someone and a chromecast and now I can't bear watching something on those devices.

Like, if I can't just cast the thing from my phone I get all bent out of shape and grumble while I hit all of 3 buttons to cast it from my laptop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Supposedly T-Mobile is going to forgive all video streaming the way they do music streaming. I have no quality standards for the most part so I figure I'll cut my internet package to a much slower one and just stream everything from my phone.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Its funny, for like 3 or 4 years I was watching everything on my computer or iPad and then a year ago I got a decent TV second hand from someone and a chromecast and now I can't bear watching something on those devices.

Like, if I can't just cast the thing from my phone I get all bent out of shape and grumble while I hit all of 3 buttons to cast it from my laptop.

You just reminded me of this hilariously first world complaint I made to someone earlier (I started exaggerating my speech once I realised how bad it was, to clarify):

quote:

my smart TV doesn't support FLAC audio via USB so when I download a movie with super good quality audio I have to run the HDMI into the laptop rather than put it onto the USB stick and plug that straight into the TV and that means I can't use the TV remote to control playback and have to lean forward to my desk to pause etc instead of just laying in bed 😞

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Man, and let me tell you about the streaming services like HBO Go that don't have automatic play for the next episode so when an episode is over I have to reach all the way over to the side table for my phone, go back 2 or 3 steps to find the next episode, and then start it manually. Such a horrific inconvenience. And then when that's over I have to do it again!

Like, "first world problems" is one obvious, shameful thing but I'm old enough to remember a time I never followed a TV show unless each week I remembered to set the VCR Plus, put in a tape with room, and make sure it wasn't so used that things would be unwatchable. And yet stupid lazy poo poo like this actually bothers me sometimes.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 23, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

STAC Goat posted:

Man, and let me tell you about the streaming services like HBO Go that don't have automatic play for the next episode so when an episode is over I have to reach all the way over to the side table for my phone, go back 2 or 3 steps to find the next episode, and then start it manually. Such a horrific inconvenience. And then when that's over I have to do it again!

Like, "first world problems" is one obvious, shameful thing but I'm old enough to remember a time I never followed a TV show unless each week I remembered to set the VCR Plus, put in a tape with room, and make sure it wasn't so used that things would be unwatchable. And yet stupid lazy poo poo like this actually bothers me sometimes.

Hahaha I'm with you. I recorded every episode of Buffy and South Park on VHS, rewatched them countless times and had printed labels for each "volume".

Now if I want to watch a movie and it's not streaming, I have to decide on something else even if I own the DVD.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I recently found a pirate streaming site that not only autoplays, it starts you off at the same place you quit the last time. It's like a pay for streaming service. Fuggin sweet.

Also god drat :smith: that dog episode of High Maintenance

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dog episode of High Maintenence is fuckin fantastic

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I got you all beat for inane non-problems.

I like to fall asleep with the TV on. After a couple of hours of inactivity, though, Netflix and Amazon's auto-play functionality will cease and require viewer input to continue. Theoretically speaking, this could happen long before my TV's sleep timer goes off.

I challenge you all to tell me why this is an issue if I'm asleep anyway.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Medullah posted:

Hahaha I'm with you. I recorded every episode of Buffy and South Park on VHS, rewatched them countless times and had printed labels for each "volume".

Now if I want to watch a movie and it's not streaming, I have to decide on something else even if I own the DVD.

My HBO viewing was like a museum of media.

I watched Oz and Sopranos by diligently setting my VCR timer ever Sunday and printing out labels to put on my tapes that I'd even break the tab on. For some bizarre reason I held onto these tapes until a year ago when I purged all my VHS, even though I've rewatched Sopranos a couple of times over the last few years on HBO Go and Amazon Prime. (I tried with Oz but that one doesn't exactly hold up, sadly.)

I started doing the same with The Wire but then I made the commitment and bought the DVD sets and they sit on my shelf taunting me to this day.

And now I don't even bother DVRing Game of Thrones because I just stream that thing when it starts and I'm waiting to binge Young Pope like I did when Westworld finished.

I also once had a film professor who once had us watch a season of Sopranos in class weirdly on Laserdisc. So like... I'm just a beta max away from a BINGO, I think.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 23, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DivisionPost posted:

I like to fall asleep with the TV on. After a couple of hours of inactivity, though, Netflix and Amazon's auto-play functionality will cease and require viewer input to continue. Theoretically speaking, this could happen long before my TV's sleep timer goes off.

My Sharp has a sleep timer I can set to the minute I think.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DivisionPost posted:

I used to do this but I switched to podcasts. Listening to 10 minutes of Ira Glass puts me out stone cold.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Has anyone ever watched WGN's Outsiders? It stars David Morse and Joe Anderson which immediately piques my interest. The premise actually sounds kind of cool but I've never heard anyone say a word about it. I'm guessing like when Manhattan was on WGN most people aren't even aware of it existing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Has anyone ever watched WGN's Outsiders? It stars David Morse and Joe Anderson which immediately piques my interest. The premise actually sounds kind of cool but I've never heard anyone say a word about it. I'm guessing like when Manhattan was on WGN most people aren't even aware of it existing.

I was also going to ask about this. It also has Ryan Hurst, Opie from SOA, and he was the high point of that series so I kind of want to give it a go.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I saw a ton of commercials for it during Incorporated. It looked cheap, but I haven't watched it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I was also going to ask about this. It also has Ryan Hurst, Opie from SOA, and he was the high point of that series so I kind of want to give it a go.

I don't know him from that but I remember really liking him on Taken years ago. And the shortlived TNT series Wanted.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I don't know him from that but I remember really liking him on Taken years ago.

Oh my god keep it that way. SOA is the biggest dumpster fire of a show that I've ever watched.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I watched Outsiders and its pretty good. A bit of a Justified feel with the hill folk living their own life with a criminal tint and a bit of a S1 Sons of Anarchy feel with the Shakespearean family power drama at the heart of it (and Ryan Hurst doing as good a job as he did with Opie). I wouldn't call it great or must watch TV or anything but its definitely something I'd say is worth a watch if you're looking for something different. I'd love to see S1 pop up on a streaming service so I can binge it before S2 since I only watched it the once last year. To be honest I don't remember a lot to say about it besides broad notes and the feeling that I enjoyed it.

And yeah, don't watch Sons of Anarchy. Its a colossal tease of a good show that turns into one of the worst shows I've ever seen and Ryan Hurst is pretty much one of the few redeeming parts of it. So just watch Outsiders where he plays a pretty similar character.

edit: Oh hey, apparently its on Hulu and I'm currently subscribed to that. So there you go with my next binge after I finish my questionable binge of Zoo.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 23, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Zoo was so terrible that I found myself really enjoying it.

And I just wrapped up Goliath and whoa, this was phenomenal television.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amazon Top Gear sucks. If I was Jeff Bezos I would ask for my money back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Amazon Top Gear sucks. If I was Jeff Bezos I would ask for my money back.

Agreed, the studio bits are unwatchable. I want an edited version that's just the on location driving. Also Richard Hammond has become insufferable.

• Locked thread