Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

yellowyams posted:

Please explain how that leaves you unable to answer. Is history closed off from analysis once it passes? Should we get rid of history classes because there's nothing to learn from them?

because i can't say what people whom i've never met, in an era that has come and gone, should or should not have done and it's kind of weird to lose my head up hypotheticals

admittedly my willingness to answer these questions is also somewhat hindered by a growing lack of confidence in the ability of the posters in this thread to have an honest discussion about literally anything, for that i apologize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

AARO posted:

GBS is catching on.

Look how much good your memes have done.

Here's what Lowtax has to say about this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806778&userid=27691

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

because i can't say what people whom i've never met, in an era that has come and gone, should or should not have done and it's kind of weird to lose my head up hypotheticals

admittedly my willingness to answer these questions is also somewhat hindered by a growing lack of confidence in the ability of the posters in this thread to have an honest discussion about literally anything, for that i apologize

"i apologize you're all so immature" said the poster literally defending neo-nazis

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Alright, glad that you agree that you are pretty much worthless

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Jesus Christ, thanks for the common sense on this issue Lowtax.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

AARO posted:

Jesus Christ, thanks for the common sense on this issue Lowtax.

hahaha

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

I missed it. What's funny about that?

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

You do not have to be part of history to examine it.

The frustration is mutual because you seem unfamiliar with the subjects you are discussing but pass judgement regardless. This is a very personal topic for many people because it involves their lives and safety. If your life is comfortable enough right now that you don't see the urgency or danger you see others expressing then please consider that there are some who spend every day with these threats hanging over their head and they're afraid and frustrated when people who don't encounter it assume that means it doesn't exist and actively impede their attempts to escape the minefield no one will acknowledge they're in. I want you to know that I once had very similar stances to yours and felt like violence was never worth it and that sacrificing your morals for any cause no matter how great just made you a hypocrite. This changed when I tried to apply these ethics in real life and encountered a brick wall. I am not advocating violence as the answer to everything, but it is a necessary evil in certain situations and history has proved this. The system is not always fair and during those times you cannot be fair if you want to accomplish anything.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Wow, Lowtax wrong??? STOP THE PRESSES

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Would you punch in the face the man who said this:

"If I am ever really in power, the destruction of the Jews will be my first and most important job. As soon as I have power, I shall have gallows after gallows erected, for example, in Munich on the Marienplatz-as many of them as traffic allows. Then the Jews will be hanged one after another, and they will stay hanging until they stink. They will stay hanging as long as hygienically possible. As soon as they are untied, then the next group will follow and that will continue until the last Jew in Munich is exterminated. Exactly the same procedure will be followed in other cities until Germany is cleansed of the last Jew!" ?

if yes, why not punch in the face the person who thinks THAT GUY had some good ideas and wants to try them out again?

if you're somehow conflicted, the man who said that was literally hitler

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Why is he wrong?

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Answer this post.

Lowtax posted:

Again, nobody has been able to answer my question I've posed repeatedly. What type of violence should be acceptable? Is just punching allowed, or can we kick? Hit them with a brick? Break their legs? Put them into a coma? Hit them with a car? Murder them? Then, who determines if the victim was evil enough to justify the assault? How does a government agency regulate and objectively define where the line is regarding beliefs that should be punishable by assault?

Like I said before, I loved watching that idiot get clocked. But justifying or allowing assault on a person people consider to be evil opens up a gigantic can of worms.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Rodatose posted:

The whole point of nazism/fascism is that life is eternal conflict and that only a state which exercises systemic violence for its own gain can succeed.

If you don't like violence, you should dislike nazism more. It requires and positively endorses not just isolated bouts of violence, but systematic violence (like Spencer calling for black genocide).

BTW this poster isn't being flowery, this is literally the raison d'etre of Nazis and hate groups. Like the actual dictionary definition of literally, not the internet usage. Like I dunno how you guys are disagreeing with this, it's not "their opinions are lovely and should be debated" it's "their opinions are simply a dogwhistle to commit violence". that's it. Period.

White nationalist are worse than other hate groups because of how powerful being white is in society. So they have to constantly find new targets to victimize or else the whole self-reflection kicks in. So they'll start finding other excuses for attacking people (you may be white but you're a race mixer so down you go).

You cannot reason with them because they don't use reason it's not the point. Please stop standing up for nazis it's not gonna be good times

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Rodatose posted:

The whole point of nazism/fascism is that life is eternal conflict and that only a state which exercises systemic violence for its own gain can succeed.

If you don't like violence, you should dislike nazism more. It requires and positively endorses not just isolated bouts of violence, but systematic violence (like Spencer calling for black genocide).

Yeah. These people only respect violence. Fretting over treating them with the civility they seek to destroy is a waste of time.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

AARO posted:

Answer this post.

are you legitimately calling for the rounding up and execution of 'undesirables' in your society? if yes, then -- under a rational system -- you should be locked away from power forever. in our system where apparently we reward the most sociopathic of our kind, i think anything short of murder is justified. i mean, a person can always reform, especially if you beat them enough.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Legality and morality aren't the same thing.

Hogge Wild posted:

Why is he wrong?
Punch the Nazi

AARO posted:

Answer this post.
Hit the Nazi with the brick

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Hit the Nazi with the brick

You're a fool. And you do nothing more than show yourself as such.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

We must secure the forum for our people and a future for white children.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

AARO posted:

One word short

Dang

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

AARO posted:

Better to be a fool than wring my hands about one dude getting punched for being a Nazi while millions of Americans are afraid for their rights.

I'm a proud fool.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

AARO posted:

Answer this post.

Lowtax is ignoring what pretty much everyone in that thread is saying. It shouldn't be legal but it is still very good. Juries can nullify his attacker's sentence if they want because that's how juries work.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Violence against fascists is always excellent and that richard spencer punch vid was fantastic and a bright spot in an otherwise dismal Friday

sorry about your delicate sensibilities~

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

AARO posted:

Answer this post.

Kill Nazis.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Does voting in favor of Trump's nominees make someone enough of a nazi to make punching them good?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Look, I just want to be able to punch people. Preferably with no consequences. If you grant me this power I promise to only punch bad people. I will be the one who determines what constitutes good and bad, but don't worry, I consider myself a good person and will only make good decisions.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Hey I just realized I would be granted this power if I became a cop, so don't worry about it. Gonna punch the poo poo out of some people!

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Not a Step posted:

Look, I just want to be able to punch people. Preferably with no consequences. If you grant me this power I promise to only punch bad people. I will be the one who determines what constitutes good and bad, but don't worry, I consider myself a good person and will only make good decisions.

Okay, you can start with people who call for ethnic cleansing of minorities.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Not a Step posted:

Hey I just realized I would be granted this power if I became a cop, so don't worry about it. Gonna punch the poo poo out of some people!

You are a doofus

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yellowyams posted:

Okay, you can start with people who call for ethnic cleansing of minorities.

What about people who claim some Americans are "subhuman"? Are those people Nazis?

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

What about people who claim some Americans are "subhuman"? Are those people Nazis?

If they are calling for violence towards marginalized groups so the white race can stay on top then yeah, I'd say that's pretty punch-worthy.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Not a Step posted:

Don't worry my man these bad people have already done that tedious work for you. They say things like "kill all blacks" or "I am a nazi" and they organize themselves into meetings and rallies, right out there in the open. Go forth and punch fascists, friend.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Trabisnikof posted:

Wait, wait, you're saying only some Amerikkkans are subhuman?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Feral Integral posted:

You are a doofus

Im going to be a doofus with a nightstick though, and its going to rule. Gonna arrest the poo poo out of my fifth grade science teacher, maybe give him a few punches. gently caress that guy.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Trabisnikof posted:

Does voting in favor of Trump's nominees make someone enough of a nazi to make punching them good?

I'm from America and I say kill 'em all!

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
wait a sec, guys, have we ever stopped to think that not tolerating intolerant people makes us the intolerant people?! :monocle:

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

The best thing about this thread is the limpdicks trying to hint at the exact same argument spencer is trying to make right now

a nazi got punched in the face???? struggle sessions and antirevolutionary purges are just around the corner!!!

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Hogge Wild posted:

Why is he wrong?
He's not wrong. He apparently doesn't have a problem with Nazis being punched but doesn't think it's a good idea to ban or probate people who express concern over normalizing political violence. I happen to agree - those people we can point at and laugh instead.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

They need to be publicly criticized and inundated by calls to their office from constituents to hold them accountable in their decisions until they can be voted out in their next election and replaced by a politician who doesn't throw so many marginalized people under the bus because that is the most effective way to handle lovely politicians, just like the most effective way to dissuade neo-nazis advocating genocide from gaining influence is to make them too scared to openly share their rhetoric in public like it's normal as we can learn from examining past approaches to hate groups. Hope that helped. :)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

loving hell lowtax

quote:

Again, nobody has been able to answer my question I've posed repeatedly. What type of violence should be acceptable? Is just punching allowed, or can we kick? Hit them with a brick? Break their legs? Put them into a coma? Hit them with a car? Murder them? Then, who determines if the victim was evil enough to justify the assault? How does a government agency regulate and objectively define where the line is regarding beliefs that should be punishable by assault?

Okay fine since apparently this is actually a serious talking point.

No obv don't kill the dumbshits, but usual bar room brawl antics are perfectly acceptable. BTW I'd say the same thing about the New Black Panthers, about Al Queda or any other Actual Hate Group of your choice. Nazis are just especially bad because they have more power than other hate groups and they are more volatile than other hate groups.

You do not debate hate groups. You do not debate members of hate groups. You show them that their bullshit is not okay in any way possible. Reason does not work on them because they explicitly reject reason as part of their world view.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I'm so antifa I only bash fash w/ my left fist

• Locked thread