Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Volkerball posted:

for instance, for having the worst color scheme

Dont forget they also fought in world war 2... FOR THE GERMANS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
They went a bit old school for the aflw ad
https://youtu.be/1WtWYRTv43E

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

It's a pretty good ad. Lee Lee Chin rules.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Home ground advantage?

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/822616789251162113

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
or just a bad team. I thought Melbourne went too old with their marquee and pre-signed players, but then they seemed to over-adjust and went super young in their draftees.

2.4 to 1.2 at 3/4 time, then Carlton kicked 6.0 to 0.1 in the last.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 21, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

A nice birthday stat for Nathan Jones: He is one of only five players in VFL/AFL history to have a net margin of worse than -5000 points in games he has played.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I think the AFLW opener is going to be shithouse for fans and from the sounds of things, not too great for the players either.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-22/blues-queried-venue-for-aflw-opener-trigg

The main issue is the venue, 5000 standing room only capacity, they will install fencing to keep people out of the game, so fans will be turned away at the gate (free entry remember) and there are next to zero facilities for fans, probably only portable toilets, which aren't great for families if this is the crowd you want to attract.

Infact it is listed as having a capacity of only 3000, but they're looking to boost that with the temporary fencing to reach their estimated 5000 mark. There is a very small hill, probably only 2m in height on the Eastern side next to the rectangular stadium with a 4 tier 50m long concrete terracing built into it, the rest of the viewing area is flat ground around the boundary, except behind the northern goals there is no room for crowds as the boundary goes right up to the footpath of Olympic Blvd. It will be terrible for fans. Then you add in the fact that erecting scaffolding for the cameras will take up more space for spectators around the ground. There is no room for spectators for the majority of the western side of the ground either, as the new building is built very close to the fence around the oval.

The best seats in the house are inside the 'glasshouse' which overlooks the ground and will no doubt be for the collingwood and afl boards to have dinner at.

Move it to Princess Park or Victoria Park, otherwise fans will be put off when they're turned away at the gate. I'd say use Punt Road as it is closer to the station too, but I suspect it is in use for cricket, Victoria Park might be too.

Edit:
Okay, a tilted view from google maps, red = no viewing area, either fenced off or part of the walkway between the oval fence and the glasshouse building/olympic boulevard. Blue = best 'seating' (standing only) which a third of that best viewing area is the concourse of the stadium next door. A reminder there are only permanent facilities for players and staff, no public facilities at the ground, unless they open up the western side of the rectangular stadium for toilets and food stalls, which is very unlikely.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 22, 2017

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
That is just so stupid. What's wrong with having it at Princes Park?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Eddie McGuire doesn't get his dick sucked by the AFL if they move the location. Sorry Eddy, you spent $11.3m converting Olympic Park Stadium from a public athletics facility into a private training oval for Collingwood and didn't bother including even basic stadium benches for potential crowds. Reduced the capacity from 18k to 3k.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Looks like Moorabbin in the middle of constructing the new facilities would be a better location.

Overall, this is a decision in line with the current AFL standard.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
From what I'm here they're talking about moving it to Princes Park which would be much better for this sort of thing

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Deadly Hume posted:

From what I'm here they're talking about moving it to Princes Park which would be much better for this sort of thing

quote:

The inaugural AFLW season hasn't even started yet and the AFL is already looking for ways to screw Collingwood over and give Carlton a helping hand. I guess it's good that the women are getting the same treatment the men have always had.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

quote:

The inaugural AFLW season hasn't even started yet and the AFL is already looking for ways to screw Collingwood over and give Carlton a helping hand. I guess it's good that the women are getting the same treatment the men have always had.

On the flipside, gently caress Collingwood?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lmao

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Collingwood is like that one really annoying sibling that your Mum says you have to include in everything.

Bah, there should have been a Saints team.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

monolithburger posted:

Collingwood is like that one really annoying sibling that your Mum says you have to include in everything.

Bah, there should have been a Saints team.

I get why they had to have the teams they had.
Carlton and Collingwood have *massive* fanbases, and if Melbourne and Footscray had missed out there would have been (MORE) reason to burn AFL House to the ground.

I get it, but I don't like it. gently caress Collingwood, now and forever.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

What are they doing with Victoria Park with the moment, anyway?

I guess this might've been one of the reasons Hawthorn didn't put a bid in since neither Glenferrie or Waverley are really suitable, they'd probably have to lean on Box Hill (which indeed they now have for the state women's comp)

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

What are they doing with Victoria Park with the moment, anyway?

I guess this might've been one of the reasons Hawthorn didn't put a bid in since neither Glenferrie or Waverley are really suitable, they'd probably have to lean on Box Hill (which indeed they now have for the state women's comp)

I think Hawthorn is waiting for Dingley to be finished, since I distinctly remember a women's ground being part of plan.

Also, Glenferrie is at least a quintillion times more viable than Melbourne Olympic Park.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Schlesische posted:

I think Hawthorn is waiting for Dingley to be finished, since I distinctly remember a women's ground being part of plan.

Also, Glenferrie is at least a quintillion times more viable than Melbourne Olympic Park.

Oh boy, cant wait to drive past the humongous traffic jam running ANY sort of game out of Tootal road would cause.

Dingley has zero public transport outside of buses.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I wouldn't want to go to a game in Dingley, plus, it smells in that area because of the landfill being tapped for methane, although that might be less worse in 10 years.

Victoria park should be just as good as Princes Park for AFLW games, although it doesn't have lights so it couldn't host the opener which is an evening game. It'd be great for afternoon usage though, the facilities are a little more run down vs Princes Park but there are still plenty of seats, good public transport with a station right next to it and room surrounding the oval for food trucks and broadcast trucks to set up, unlike at Olympic Park oval.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't want to go to a game in Dingley, plus, it smells in that area because of the landfill being tapped for methane, although that might be less worse in 10 years.

I joke about it stinking there a lot but lately it has been really bad every other day, at least for the past two months. I mean, it may not drift over to where the actual ovals are going to be but of all the places Dingley is such a drat odd choice.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Just to be clear, Hawthorn hasn't started work yet so that smell isn't the smugness.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

I joke about it stinking there a lot but lately it has been really bad every other day, at least for the past two months. I mean, it may not drift over to where the actual ovals are going to be but of all the places Dingley is such a drat odd choice.

Carn the wees and poos

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
The Pies/Blues AFLW match has been moved to Ikon Park.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

You'll find that a lot of suburban ovals and playing fields were built on what used to be tips.

Where the gently caress is Ikon Park?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Like all these grounds change their paid-for name every 2-3 years and its hard to keep track.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I can never remember the names since I always listen to the ABC.

It's Princes Park

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah that's one of the good things about the ABC's approach. I'll have to think about the canonical name for the new stadium in Perth next year, I guess I'll call it Burswood Stadium anyway, assuming they're already got some sponsor lined up for the marketing name. I'm sticking with Eureka Stadium for Ballarat since there's at least a pretty good clue to where it is.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yep, always Princes Park to me. They changed it from Optus to Ikon after they stopped playing football there too, so it is pretty silly.

Anyway, now they have moved the opener, where do all the other Collingwood Games go? They're supposed to play 3 other games at Olympic Park:

Round 2 Collingwood v Melbourne at Olympic Park Oval (7.35pm EDT)
Round 6 Collingwood v GWS Giants at Olympic Park Oval (11.05am EDT)
Round 7 Collingwood v Adelaide at Olympic Park Oval (1.35pm EDT)

I could kind of see Round 6 & 7 being fine there, given they'll be against interstate teams but what if the crowds do show up? You could move those two to Victoria Park (if it is free) as they are day games, but what about Round 2 against Melbourne, who you'd think would turn up to their games which aren't played out at Cranbourne.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah that's one of the good things about the ABC's approach. I'll have to think about the canonical name for the new stadium in Perth next year, I guess I'll call it Burswood Stadium anyway, assuming they're already got some sponsor lined up for the marketing name. I'm sticking with Eureka Stadium for Ballarat since there's at least a pretty good clue to where it is.

But the suburb of Eureka is 4km away on the other side of town!

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 23, 2017

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wasn't it Visy between Optus and Ikon? Nobody plays there but we can still sell the naming rights!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

realbez posted:

Wasn't it Visy between Optus and Ikon? Nobody plays there but we can still sell the naming rights!
Yeah I think Visy. MC Labour also got their graf on the sign as well (or was that Kardinia Park?)

Anyway, confusing as hell. I think the clubs get a bit of change for the naming rights because it gets mentioned when they talk about training or VFL games there.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Cmndstab on suicide alert please
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPmNRCgDOhd/
(although I guess they still have a foot in the door)

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Patrick and Barney are having a baby?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Periphery posted:

Patrick and Barney are having a baby?

I'm feeling Gray is the perfect name?

I'm feeling Gray Dangerfield.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2017-01-23/alex-pearce-injury-update
:smith:

Pearce lives with Fyfe and apparently their fridge is full of this:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

drunkill posted:

CmndstabNTRabbit on suicide alert please
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPmNRCgDOhd/
(although I guess they still have a foot in the door)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Is there a goon tipping group thing for the women's league?

Is it incorporated into the mens one? I know I am in the mens one, but dunno if I need to do something to lose to goons in not one but two tipping comps.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I got an email from espn this afternoon telling me to put my tips in for the women's league, so I guess it's integrated.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I got the same email. That's what made me ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

Is there a goon tipping group thing for the women's league?

Is it incorporated into the mens one? I know I am in the mens one, but dunno if I need to do something to lose to goons in not one but two tipping comps.
I actually just now added it to the SAS comp.

I might also cull anyone who hasn't logged in since the beginning of 2016, but if you've been given the chop it's easy enough to join up again.

• Locked thread