Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah the rally was good btw. Still need to un-neuter the events and get some properly long rallies back in the sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

It seems like a step in the right direction at least, and the fact that everybody is crashing out left and right over a modest power increase kinda confirms my suspicion that the field has been less than stellar the past few years.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Humbug posted:

Red Bull Tv has longer highlights featuring Mark Webber
https://www.redbull.tv/live/AP-1Q84GQNEN1W11/fia-world-rally-championship

Holy poo poo, if you're like me and just want to watch rally cars you can pick 'Race' from the Event Breakdown menu at the bottom and it will skip all of the bullshit host segments for you.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I'd watch more WRC and rally in general if it were as easily available like it is through the Red Bull TV link. So I think I'll do that this year.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

WindyMan posted:

I'd watch more WRC and rally in general if it were as easily available like it is through the Red Bull TV link. So I think I'll do that this year.

I just want good event coverage, if WEC can do streaming for an extended event than WRC certainly can at the very least from onboards. F1 has been less than stellar for quite a few years and I've stuck with that because the coverage of the entire weekend is indepth and half decent, my bar isn't that high and I like rallying far better but I still can't get into WRC because any time I've watched live the coverage has been garbage.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alain Post posted:

yeah the rally was good btw. Still need to un-neuter the events and get some properly long rallies back in the sport.

Bring Safari Rally back to WRC please.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

1500quidporsche posted:

I just want good event coverage, if WEC can do streaming for an extended event than WRC certainly can at the very least from onboards. F1 has been less than stellar for quite a few years and I've stuck with that because the coverage of the entire weekend is indepth and half decent, my bar isn't that high and I like rallying far better but I still can't get into WRC because any time I've watched live the coverage has been garbage.

I got WRC+ for the weekend since it promised live video coverage. It turned out live coverage was for only two stages out of 17. Its a cost issue apparently, where they cant afford to have enough stationary cameras and particularly helicopters to cover any more. Even when i presume the two stages had been prepared for live coverage with video links and stuff, the live picture from the cars dropped all the time, and wasn't even close to HD. The broadcast was pretty dependent on having a helicopter above each car.

WRC+ is a bit of a waste if your not really into rally. It has the two live stages, GPS-tracker on all cars both in and outside of stages and you can watch on-board video of any driver on any finished stage, also for previous seasons. Its also not super expensive at €5 per month, but without all stages being live, you will probably not see the defining moments live, and you will need to watch the free rebroadcasts anyway.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Racing this weekend:

Venue: Daytona International Speedway Road Course

IMSA Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge: BMW Endurance Challenge at Daytona

Qualifying: Thursday, Jan 26 5:30-6:00 PM EST
Race: Friday, Jan 27 12:15-4:15 PM EST

Streaming worldwide on: http://imsatv.imsa.com/
(not sure if quali will be streamed with video, but there should at least be audio commentary on radio le mans)

The Classes:
Grand Sport:
GT4 homologated hardware and 2016 legacy GS cars. GT4 are paddle shift, GS are manual.
(this seems to be out of date for the GT4 hardware, take it with a grain of salt)

IMSA posted:

As with all Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge cars, GS class cars start out as stock, production model cars that race with minor modifications only. The GS class contains the top performing cars and include the Aston Martin Vantage, BMW M3, Chevy Camaro GS.R, Ford Shelby GT350R-C, Ford Mustang Boss 302 R, Nissan 370Z, Porsche 911 and Subaru WRX-STI. The engines are tuned to produce between 400 and 500 horsepower and are capable of speeds in excess of 175 mph.

Street Tuner: IMSA's bastard child Touring Car class, manual transmission only

IMSA posted:

The ST class is also production based with much of the car using the same stock parts you would find on your passenger car. This class is limited to four- and six-cylinder and rotary engines. The ST class includes the Audi S3, BMW 128 and 325, Honda Civic Si, Hyundai Genesis, Mazda MX-5, Nissan Altima and Porsche Boxster and Cayman. The engines are tuned to produce between 220 and 280 horsepower and are capable of speeds in excess of 150 mph.

IMSA Weathertech Sportscar Championship: Rolex 24 at Daytona

Qualifying: Thursday, Jan 26 3:10-4:40 PM EST
Race: Saturday January 28, 2:30 PM EST - Sunday January 29 2:30 PM EST

Streaming on FSGo with FS1 credentials, or Internationally (or with a VPN) on http://imsatv.imsa.com/

The Classes:
Read the OP, I'll make a big write-up later.

Do you guys like this sort of upcoming weekend announcement? If so I can keep it up for all the series that I follow.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Do you guys like this sort of upcoming weekend announcement? If so I can keep it up for all the series that I follow.

Yes, absolutely.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

harperdc posted:

This this this

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

harperdc posted:

WRC+ is nice but I just stick to the daily highlights and the occasional onboard cam.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

24 gonna be so good.

the protos only got really small tweaks after the Roar, so will be interesting to see if the Orecas stay dominant.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

24 gonna be so good.

the protos only got really small tweaks after the Roar, so will be interesting to see if the Orecas stay dominant.

That paint job :shlick:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is silly since I made fun of someone earlier for saying Loeb/Ogier mainly benefited from luck, but god drat did Ogier get lucky at Monte Carlo. Made several serious mistakes which cost him time, but kept his car intact, while the only mistake Neuville made was minor but destroyed his rear suspension.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I really dig the new WRC cars. I think it'll be a decent season, and I don't think Ogier will steamroll it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

My favourite part is when they interviewed Ogier after he fell into the ditch, he instantly goes to blaming his Fiesta not working right or something. Then they go interview Tanak, "The new cars are great! Way better than the garbage we had last year."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jehde posted:

My favourite part is when they interviewed Ogier after he fell into the ditch, he instantly goes to blaming his Fiesta not working right or something. Then they go interview Tanak, "The new cars are great! Way better than the garbage we had last year."

Aww... poor baby has to deal with a new car and didn't practice enough in it. :allears:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So while we wait for the racing season to begin, how about a round of virtual car building and racing?

I'm running a challenge right now using Automation: The Car Company Tycoon Game where your task is to do just that; build and run an entry into a virtual sports car series. Come check it out if you're interested!

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Racing this weekend:

Venue: Daytona International Speedway Road Course

IMSA Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge: BMW Endurance Challenge at Daytona

Qualifying: Thursday, Jan 26 5:30-6:00 PM EST
Race: Friday, Jan 27 12:15-4:15 PM EST

Streaming worldwide on: http://imsatv.imsa.com/
(not sure if quali will be streamed with video, but there should at least be audio commentary on radio le mans)

The Classes:
Grand Sport:
GT4 homologated hardware and 2016 legacy GS cars. GT4 are paddle shift, GS are manual.
(this seems to be out of date for the GT4 hardware, take it with a grain of salt)

Street Tuner: IMSA's bastard child Touring Car class, manual transmission only

IMSA Weathertech Sportscar Championship: Rolex 24 at Daytona

Qualifying: Thursday, Jan 26 3:10-4:40 PM EST
Race: Saturday January 28, 2:30 PM EST - Sunday January 29 2:30 PM EST

Streaming on FSGo with FS1 credentials, or Internationally (or with a VPN) on http://imsatv.imsa.com/

The Classes:
Read the OP, I'll make a big write-up later.

I'll stash it in the OP as well.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Quote is not edit.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

iospace posted:

Aww... poor baby has to deal with a new car and didn't practice enough in it. :allears:

He still took top step with a serious margin

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

geonetix posted:

He still took top step with a serious margin

Then why is he complaining?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
He didn't get to use all the racing driver excuses he had thought up.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

iospace posted:

Then why is he complaining?

Probably just babby winner syndrome. Vettel and Hamilton do the same when it's not going perfectly for them. At least some of the time.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Ogier is always constantly bitching. If it's not one thing it's another, doesn't help that without VW he's actually going to have to work to win his championship this year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/andyblackmore/status/823935598880657408

Almost time for the real start of the good 2017 racing seasons.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

iospace posted:

https://twitter.com/andyblackmore/status/823935598880657408

Almost time for the real start of the good 2017 racing seasons.

:chloe:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Oh wow! Half the car is the Confederate flag!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mattd1zz1e approved, I guess

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

dsriggs posted:

Oh wow! Half the car is the Confederate flag!

I want you to know I appreciated this.

I'm flying down to Daytona on Thursday morning, hopefully it'll be warmer than the ROAR! :neckbeard:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Man I wish I could be there. I think since my dad retires this year, we're gonna do 2018 Rolex24, and maybe stick around for the 500, if cost and time off allows. I think this year we're gonna hit the VIR races, cause the tickets and RV spots are dirt effing cheap.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the RV spots for the 24 are stupid expensive for some reason, if that's what you're thinkin of doing. Sebring is cheaper and a better party

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Any Aus goons heading out to the 12hr at Bathurst in a couple of weeks? It's all GT3 and 4 cars for the most part with some Porsche GT cup cars and randoms thrown in for good measure. I went out last year and it was a very good race to watch although some spectators nearly got flattened by the Bentleys once the race had ended.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Desperately attention seeking AMERICA livery.

0 american drivers.

0 sponsors.

In fact 3 of the prototypes have GIANT AMERICAN FLAGS and there's a grand total of 0 Americans in the cars.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 25, 2017

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
ByKolles are switching to Nissan's leftover LMP1 engine (without the hybrid) for the WEC this season in their quest for reliability.

Hopefully it includes a working fuel pump since they burned through around 8 of them at Le Mans.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Xisticide posted:

ByKolles are switching to Nissan's leftover LMP1 engine (without the hybrid) for the WEC this season in their quest for reliability.

Hopefully it includes a working fuel pump since they burned through around 8 of them at Le Mans.

Knowing their luck: no, it doesn't.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Xisticide posted:

That's a very strange choice, although their straight line speeds weren't bad even without the hybrid I guess.

If nothing else, it's nice to have confirmation the comedy car will be back to somehow lose LMP1-L in a field of one.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Man I wish I could be there. I think since my dad retires this year, we're gonna do 2018 Rolex24, and maybe stick around for the 500, if cost and time off allows. I think this year we're gonna hit the VIR races, cause the tickets and RV spots are dirt effing cheap.

I'm thinking of heading down for 2018 as well. I waited too long this year to do it. I've got some friends from the IMSA Fans FB group (a very interesting lot since they're mostly millennials) and would love to see the race first hand.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dudley posted:

That's a very strange choice, although their straight line speeds weren't bad even without the hybrid I guess.

If nothing else, it's nice to have confirmation the comedy car will be back to somehow lose LMP1-L in a field of one.
They will probably write the purchase off as a eleventy billion dollar expense to launder more money or whatever they are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

I desperately want this car to be consumed by fire now.

• Locked thread