Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

I got you all beat for inane non-problems.

I like to fall asleep with the TV on. After a couple of hours of inactivity, though, Netflix and Amazon's auto-play functionality will cease and require viewer input to continue. Theoretically speaking, this could happen long before my TV's sleep timer goes off.

I challenge you all to tell me why this is an issue if I'm asleep anyway.

I do this too and the bigger issue for me is that sometimes a PS4 will go into sleep mode even though it's right in the middle of something. I believe it only happens with YouTube though, I know we've gone to bed with Netflix on and in the morning realize we've sleep-watched a whole season of something.

I tried switching to podcasts but the ones I listen to are too funny to fall asleep, or too loud for my wife, or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rhyno posted:

Zoo was so terrible that I found myself really enjoying it.

Its like... its really, really objectively bad... but I can't seem to tear myself away from it because I feel like at any moment they might just introduce a talking bear or something.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

I saw a ton of commercials for it during Incorporated. It looked cheap, but I haven't watched it.

One thing i can say about it is, it's got a style about it. It's not a cheap looking production.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

Its like... its really, really objectively bad... but I can't seem to tear myself away from it because I feel like at any moment they might just introduce a talking bear or something.

I really thought talking animals was where the show was going! Such a bummer. Is season two up for streaming yet?

Back to Goliath, I really hope they don't do another season. Or if they do it needs to be a new cast and setting because it's unreasonable to believe that the same lawyer could go around tearing down mega corporations left and right.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

I really thought talking animals was where the show was going! Such a bummer. Is season two up for streaming yet?

Yeah, it got added to Netflix recently. I am given to understand that the plot in season 2 is about as batshit as "a talking bear" without actually including a talking bear.

It's Under the Dome levels of fascinatingly dumb.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, I'm watching it on Netflix. Its super duper nuts compared to S1.

I can't believe there's going to be a S3 and I can't wait to finish this and wonder how much stupider it can get. Its a weird kind of enjoyment for me, because I'm not a "hatewatcher". But this show is just loving so weirdly stupid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I know what I'm watching next.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Anyone see this new reality show "Hunted" on CBS?

It basically a manhunt where the contests have to last 28 days without getting caught by this task force of former law enforcement agents. Seems like a cool concept, but the execution of the show feels phony and impractical.

Somehow the task force has access to things like ATM cameras and their cell phone records. One of the dumb teams only managed to go for a few hours before getting caught. Also for the contestants... Why wouldn't you just go and sit in a friends basement for 28 days?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd be lying if I said I gave it much thought, but yeah, when I saw the ads for that one my first thought was that its either gotta be heavily contrived and scripted/tipped off or else it shouldn't be that hard to get away from a couple of reality show goobers.

Like I guess if you set up playing fields and a kind of "find them before they reach their goal point/find the flag" each round/episode. That sounds expensive and complicated and I don't imagine that's this.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

It would make more sense if they laid down some ground rules for the contestants like "You must stay at a new place every night." Or give them some task they have to go out and do.

Also, don't try to make it seem like your tracking team has realtime access to city surveillance cameras and license plate scanners. Everyone knows the government wouldn't give them that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Grey posted:

Why wouldn't you just go and sit in a friends basement for 28 days?

Or check into a rehab clinic under a fake name.

Or buy 28 days worth of granola bars and hang out in the woods.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The show was filmed in and around Atlanta so they could've just come and hung out at my place

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

The show was filmed in and around Atlanta so they could've just come and hung out at my place

I've seen your place, and nah.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

Has anyone ever watched WGN's Outsiders? It stars David Morse and Joe Anderson which immediately piques my interest. The premise actually sounds kind of cool but I've never heard anyone say a word about it. I'm guessing like when Manhattan was on WGN most people aren't even aware of it existing.

I saw the first 5 or 6 episodes before it lost me.

You definitely can't think too hard and the plot is about as telegraphed as anything, but there's definitely, as someone mentioned, a real Justified season 2 feel to it. I'd say give it a shot and you'll know whether its for you, but for every Dumb thing like ATV jousting, there's a slog of dumb things that just leave you saying "what?" "why?" and "oh come on."

It's not that it isn't well put together, the atmosphere and acting and all are actually real good, it just lost me with its shortcomings in plot.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Grey posted:

It basically a manhunt where the contests have to last 28 days without getting caught by this task force of former law enforcement agents. Seems like a cool concept, but the execution of the show feels phony and impractical.

Somehow the task force has access to things like ATM cameras and their cell phone records. One of the dumb teams only managed to go for a few hours before getting caught. Also for the contestants... Why wouldn't you just go and sit in a friends basement for 28 days?

This kind of reality show was tried once before and I'm pretty sure it failed for the exact same reasons. Without some objectives/contests to keep things interesting and episodic, such a broad premise is way too unfocused fit a TV show format.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

The Grey posted:

I imagine they have rules for hiding out at a friends. Like if your friend agrees to let you stay, they also have to agree to let the roaming investigators in if they show up. Like they obviously had permission to enter the one ladies apartment. It wouldnt surprise me if they had to submit a list of friends and family they would possibly seek help from.

The whole ATM thing is obviously set up so they have some way to begin tracking the people. Also I have a feeling that despite them claiming they have all that area they can run in they either actually restrict or just picked people with very strong ties to the Atlanta area. So everyone just ends up in the city where all the roving trackers are sitting. It seemed like a cool concept but theres no way they could have really been able to pull it off properly.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

I do this too and the bigger issue for me is that sometimes a PS4 will go into sleep mode even though it's right in the middle of something. I believe it only happens with YouTube though, I know we've gone to bed with Netflix on and in the morning realize we've sleep-watched a whole season of something.

I tried switching to podcasts but the ones I listen to are too funny to fall asleep, or too loud for my wife, or both.

That's interesting, because it should go into sleep mode no matter what you're playing. Either way, I'd adjust the power settings so that it can idle for longer while playing media (or even not turn off at all).

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

McSpanky posted:

This kind of reality show was tried once before and I'm pretty sure it failed for the exact same reasons. Without some objectives/contests to keep things interesting and episodic, such a broad premise is way too unfocused fit a TV show format.

There was a UK show called Hunted maybe a year or two back with the same premise that was "okay". At the very least it was interesting.

Because they had several contestants in parallel if one set of contestants wasn't doing anything, they could concentrate on the others and chances are someone would be doing something at least. And contestants could get jumpy and paranoid about nothing because they really didn't know how close the authorities were, or if they were feeling confident they could start laying traps for their pursuers to waste their time and annoy them.

After hiding out for a certain length of time contestants had the objective of reaching this plane which represented their exit route. So hiding out in the middle of nowhere doing nothing might have been viable for hiding, but might have put them in a poor position for getting mobile again. I also strongly suspect contestants were encouraged to keep moving and keep doing things, because when they were in a safe spot and the hunters had no idea where they were they would still randomly decide to relocate again and again.

Some spoilery highlights:
So you had things like people leaving fake messages on their computer suggesting hiding out in a caravan park, just as a red herring to throw the hunters off. Except a completely different set of contestants was hiding in that caravan park and got spooked and panicked when they saw black SUVs driving around. Or someone sent their ATM card to their mother to get cash out as a decoy... then decided to go visit their mother and arrived the same day that the ATM card arrived and got used. And bizarrely this person was one of the winners. I think there was even scope for someone to go Riddler supervillain, leaving clues and traps for the authorities etc to call them idiots but the guy who might have been heading down that route got caught before he could really experiment with that (it seemed like they spent more resources on him though).

That probably makes it sound like a better show than it was (you also had quite a lot of semi-downtime of people just travelling around), but still I think it was interesting. I'm not sure how 'real' it was, and I think they actually had state resources (which the US version might not have) and I think maybe it works better in the UK than the US (cus bloody american remakes :argh: ). And it's definitely a show you watch more for the concept than the execution.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

X-O posted:

The thing is, cable is actually still much cheaper for anyone that actually already has a bundle with cable internet and would want to sub to even just the HBO, Showtime, Starz and sports packages and then you still get all the other channels too. Because I use my own cablecard equipment for internet and cable I end paying around $150 or so a month for cable and internet service and that gives me HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, and TMC. Then I also have access to all my College Basketball and NBA games that I want that I'd have to track down and pay for through other means. I have access to all the ESPN3 services. It would be beyond stupid for me drop cable. My internet alone would be over half that if I dropped the bundle and then I'd need to sub to all those services and and it would actually be more than I'm paying for internet and cable with all the premiums now. And that's not even taking into consideration being able to record shows and having access to other channels like USA, Syfy, History etc.

Yeah, same, except it's basic cable/high speed internet/HBO for 180 split b/w 2 people, so I'm paying 90 a month for a billion channels that I use OnDemand to primarily catch up on. Still a good deal, but maybe that'll change in the future.

Rhyno posted:

Zoo was so terrible that I found myself really enjoying it.

And I just wrapped up Goliath and whoa, this was phenomenal television.

Really? Goliath has had some bad reviews.

You get around to watching Shut Eye yet?

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 23, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Elite posted:

There was a UK show called Hunted maybe a year or two back with the same premise that was "okay". At the very least it was interesting.

:words:

That actually does sound really interesting, I'll check it out with low expectations, the spoilered stuff you said especially sounds neat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shageletic posted:

Really? Goliath has had some bad reviews.

You get around to watching Shut Eye yet?

Shut Eye is Hulu right? I need to get my sister's log in for that. Chance is also highly regarded right?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

precision posted:

That actually does sound really interesting, I'll check it out with low expectations, the spoilered stuff you said especially sounds neat.

It was watachable and there was a second series late last year. In the UK version at least, they make it pretty clear that the government hasn't actually given them access to all the traffic cameras etc. but the producers will feed information to them to simulate the sort of surveillance they would have access to, and then it's presented as 'We've just got a hit on Darren's wife's phone!" or whatever.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You all are describing a really crappy version of The Running Man.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
this sounds like a show warming audiences up to the idea of a Series 7 or Running Man style show.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

Shut Eye is Hulu right? I need to get my sister's log in for that. Chance is also highly regarded right?

Yeah both are Hulu. I think Chance is superior, and a better contained one season story. I don't know if it's meant to be a multiple season story.

Shut Eye is good but definitely feels more of a setup for further seasons.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Medullah posted:

Yeah both are Hulu. I think Chance is superior, and a better contained one season story. I don't know if it's meant to be a multiple season story.

I agree, the ending wasn't the most fulfilling because of its (spoiler) out of nowhere ending

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Medullah posted:

From what I understand, Shut Eye was commissioned for two seasons, with the option to drop it after one. It's similar to what HBO does with all their shows (hence why they're often able to renew them so early in their runs, and the habit they've formed recently of renewing a show only to cancel that renewal later). I imagine all Hulu shows are the same, along with most other major cable / streaming services. It's something Starz definitely does.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like Sweet Vicious a lot despite it swinging wildly between dumb action and poignant personal moments. Man just 10 years ago MTV used to censor the word "hash" but now characters openly smoke bongs on MTV shows.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

The Grey posted:

In the English and Dutch versions the contestants could not stay in one place for more then 24 hours. The producers have full info on everything they do and where they go and a legal expert gives this info to the hunters as much as would be possible with a Public Enemy No.1 manhunt. It's got some good insights into how much surveillance and dirty tricks there are and how the best skill to have on the run is not anything technical but just to make friends easily with strangers.

The Dutch show also had an amazing ending where a Marine who made zero mistakes and was completely off the radar the entire show figured out where the escape chopper in the finale would take off and was already on board for the getaway.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Season 2 of Zoo has to be the craziest, stupidest, batshittiest thing I've ever seen on TV. Like, S1 of Zoo is dumb but it mostly sticks to a basic premise that's pretty silly but straight forward and acceptable by my "fine, I'll accept one impossible idea" general rule of thumb with fantasy/horror/sci-fi. But then S2 is just like this pile of zany additions and nonsense one after another along with like every other TV cliche, trope, or thing that drives goons insane. And then the setup for S3? Dear God, S3 of Zoo may now be most anticipated TV show of 2017 because the setup is just freaking silly as gently caress and I don't think I would have possibly gotten there after watching the Zoo pilot a week ago.

Zoo. Man. If you want to watch something that really goes out of its way to be extraordinarily bad, watch Zoo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only shows I watch I still get in HD are The Flash and SHIELD.

I think I'm being punished. For watching those shows, probably.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

In the UK version at least, they make it pretty clear that the government hasn't actually given them access to all the traffic cameras etc. but the producers will feed information to them to simulate the sort of surveillance they would have access to, and then it's presented as 'We've just got a hit on Darren's wife's phone!" or whatever.

Just announcing that they were doing that would make it a lot more believable, instead of trying to pretend that the task force was getting all this info via clandestine means.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Maybe with the upcoming restrictions being lifted on a bunch of stuff, we can finally get a real life Series 7!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKM5Qq-ZuLM

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mu Zeta posted:

I like Sweet Vicious a lot despite it swinging wildly between dumb action and poignant personal moments. Man just 10 years ago MTV used to censor the word "hash" but now characters openly smoke bongs on MTV shows.

More people would watch this if it wasn't on MTV, it's great

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

X-O posted:

The thing is, cable is actually still much cheaper for anyone that actually already has a bundle with cable internet and would want to sub to even just the HBO, Showtime, Starz and sports packages and then you still get all the other channels too. Because I use my own cablecard equipment for internet and cable I end paying around $150 or so a month for cable and internet service and that gives me HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, and TMC. Then I also have access to all my College Basketball and NBA games that I want that I'd have to track down and pay for through other means. I have access to all the ESPN3 services. It would be beyond stupid for me drop cable. My internet alone would be over half that if I dropped the bundle and then I'd need to sub to all those services and and it would actually be more than I'm paying for internet and cable with all the premiums now. And that's not even taking into consideration being able to record shows and having access to other channels like USA, Syfy, History etc.

You can subscribe to PSVue or Sling and get almost all of those, if not all of them.
In my case the cable provider who has a monopoly in my area turned into complete dogshit over the last couple of years (and still charges extra for HD channels in the year 2017), so aside from the fact that I can only get two local channels, dropping the cable package, upgrading to the next tier internet speed, and subscribing to Vue still saves me like $30 over what I was paying.

Not getting to see some of my favorite network shows live kind of sucks, but Vue has on demand services for all of them so I've adapted to just watching them the next day. Worst case, I can always look up one of those sites that aggregates TV live streams. It's not piracy if it's free over the air, is it?

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 24, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

sbaldrick posted:

More people would watch this if it wasn't on MTV, it's great

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm a bit of a new age fuddy duddy when it comes to streaming/phsyical media. I've purged myself of most of my physical stuff, but I'm still a stickler for having a local copy of my media. I can't stand the thought of watching a show and not have it sitting there in Plex as a bit of a memorial in case I ever want to watch it again (which in all reality, I won't). That on top of thought that a streaming service could just stop showing a show/movie makes me uncomfortable.

I'm now on the verge of getting some decent internet in which I'll be able to watch a 720p video (or better!) without having to stop and pause so I'm now weighing up my options for Netflix etc. But now I find myself in another lovely situation. I'm going to be paying more for this internet, and it's going to have a 200GB data cap. This has opened up the possibility of paying for Amazon, Netflix, WWE network, UFC Fightpass, NFL Gamepass, the NHL equivilant, Hulu, Spotify etc which are all things I consume (steal) content from currently.

In summary, I'm going from paying very little for an unlimited but slow as gently caress internet connection and getting all my content for the cost of a VPN service (albeit delayed) to paying more for a capped data connection which now opens up the door for an opportunity to spend about 100 bucks more per month for the legitimate streaming options. I'm so confused!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I just went through The Good Place, Goliath, and Sneaky Pete. They were all really good.

What's next?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

So I just went through The Good Place, Goliath, and Sneaky Pete. They were all really good.

What's next?

Do you have Hulu? If you do, watch Chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

What's next?

Sweet/Vicious, Young Pope, Divorce, No Tomorrow, Incorporated, Man Seeking Woman, Black Sails...

• Locked thread