Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLE78mR8c1s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I used to watch that show on Sunday mornings before church as a kid but even then I couldn't stand Mike Lupica

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

If we're talking about "old early Sunday morning ESPN shows we miss", NFL Matchup is/was the poo poo.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Troy Queef posted:

If we're talking about "old early Sunday morning ESPN shows we miss", NFL Matchup is/was the poo poo.

I think this is more late night ESPN2 but I swear there was a show where Bert Sugar just sat there being Bert Sugar and talked about old timey boxers for hours on end.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

I think this is more late night ESPN2 but I swear there was a show where Bert Sugar just sat there being Bert Sugar and talked about old timey boxers for hours on end.

Yea it was called Ringside and the episodes would be like 4 hours and they would show fights of the person and then talk in between. I have a DVD they sold of the Tyson one.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I liked Tuesdays with Morrie and generally enjoyed reading his columns in the Free Press when I was growing up, what the hell Mitch :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress yes, Ringside was amazing

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

I liked Tuesdays with Morrie and generally enjoyed reading his columns in the Free Press when I was growing up, what the hell Mitch :(

I hateread Mitch Albom every week. His sports columns are usually passable if schmaltzy, but his commentary on everything else is astonishingly bad and his writing is frankly appalling. You should see the excerpt from his newest novel.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Troy Queef posted:

It's legit the best studio show ESPN has ever done so of course it aired exclusively at like 3 AM

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i never watched the sports reporters, but i can't fathom how mike lupica is still allowed to do this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

TSR was one of the better talking-heads shows but it was still a talking head show and seemed at times to be a smarm-off that was almost always won by Mitch loving Albom.

can't beat the master

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

R.D. Mangles posted:

i never watched the sports reporters, but i can't fathom how mike lupica is still allowed to do this

I really love that the Falcons are in their second super bowl in their 50 year history and the story is "Donald Trump's two best friends are gonna hang out at the Super Bowl". End my life and this country, tia.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN is going to ultimately replace Sports Reporters with a sunday E:60 hosted by Bob Ley and Jeremy Schapp

E: This will nix Sunday's OTL, but they'll still run that on weekdays.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Kill me now

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i remember when that nfl matchup show was on monday nights as part of the buildup to the monday night game

of course they bury it because it's cerebral

in other news, turns out erin andrews had cancer

https://twitter.com/theMMQB/status/823888189932781570

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

i remember when that nfl matchup show was on monday nights as part of the buildup to the monday night game

of course they bury it because it's cerebral

in other news, turns out erin andrews had cancer

https://twitter.com/theMMQB/status/823888189932781570

I don't particularly like or dislike Erin Andrews, but Jesus Christ hasn't this woman been through enough? She already deals with the everyday torture that comes along with being a woman in sports, AND she had to deal with a creepy stalker that videotaped her naked in a hotel room on more than one occasion in two different cities. Now loving cancer.

At least she won $55 million from that lawsuit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jeez that sucks :( And yeah Erin's been through more than enough.

Crossposting from NHL thread, There's a great oral history in SBD of the glow puck experiment from Fox's NHL coverage in the 90s

VINCE WLADIKA, Senior VP of Media Relations, Fox Sports posted:

Two days before the All-Star Game, we had an event at the Fleet Center. We brought in the Bruins minor league hockey team from Providence and had them do an on-ice demonstration. We had Doc Emrick host it. We had both TVs set up in front of the media, as well as the big video board over the ice. Somebody flipped a switch. The first thing I remember was hearing [New York Post columnist] Phil Mushnick go, “Wow!” At that point I said, alright. That’s good because there was Mr. Grumpy going, Wow! He actually wrote a column: “This puck’s for you.”

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mahoning posted:

I don't particularly like or dislike Erin Andrews, but Jesus Christ hasn't this woman been through enough? She already deals with the everyday torture that comes along with being a woman in sports, AND she had to deal with a creepy stalker that videotaped her naked in a hotel room on more than one occasion in two different cities. Now loving cancer.

At least she won $55 million from that lawsuit.

Erin Andrews kicks rear end. No media person ever stuck around college games longer, because people wanted to take pictures with her, and she stayed for every weeping girl who stayed to try to meet her.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mahoning posted:

I don't particularly like or dislike Erin Andrews

She's the only sideline reporter who I've ever had the thought "hey she's pretty good at her job and not just there to provide fluff and spoon fed injury updates" while watching a broadcast, so I've always been pretty pro-Erin Andrews.

There was one particular college basketball game that made me think this but I have no idea how to search for the video. Also she handled the Richard Sherman going crazy interview pretty well.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Grittybeard posted:

She's the only sideline reporter who I've ever had the thought "hey she's pretty good at her job and not just there to provide fluff and spoon fed injury updates" while watching a broadcast, so I've always been pretty pro-Erin Andrews.

There was one particular college basketball game that made me think this but I have no idea how to search for the video. Also she handled the Richard Sherman going crazy interview pretty well.

Doris Burke, too. I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kibner posted:

Doris Burke, too. I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting.

Holly Rowe

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah true with both of those on reflection, maybe I should have said the first time I thought it? Or the first time I noticed it at least.

It seems really rare though, I mean there are like 800 people who do that job and most of them add nothing of interest at all to a broadcast.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

In their defense, 97% of sideline interviews are easily forgettable when coaches or players keep spewing the same clichéd bullshit. That's why the Richard Sherman interview was so great and refreshing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

In their defense, 97% of sideline interviews are easily forgettable when coaches or players keep spewing the same clichéd bullshit. That's why the Richard Sherman interview was so great and refreshing.

Or when Pops dicks around with people

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yea it was called Ringside and the episodes would be like 4 hours and they would show fights of the person and then talk in between. I have a DVD they sold of the Tyson one.

Did Ringside stop doing new episodes after Bert Sugar passed in 2012? I know Brian Kenny is awesome but I imagine if you're going to sit there and talk older boxing you need someone like Bert Sugar.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Or when Pops dicks around with people

And Sager

"Now ask me some of those inane questions" :smith:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Akileese posted:

Did Ringside stop doing new episodes after Bert Sugar passed in 2012? I know Brian Kenny is awesome but I imagine if you're going to sit there and talk older boxing you need someone like Bert Sugar.

I think they stopped doing it well before then.

Mostly because they had done pretty much anyone relevant they had the rights to fight footage for.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

It seems really rare though, I mean there are like 800 people who do that job and most of them add nothing of interest at all to a broadcast.

If there's an injury on the field its their job to go over and get an update on the player's status. If there's some other kind of development on or near the field they probably have to be on top of that too. It doesn't make the broadcast more exciting but its stuff we've become accustomed to getting and they have to put in the legwork to get it.

Cash Monet fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 24, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dana White never bothered to tell Mike Goldberg they were letting him go, and apparently Mike didn't get to make any sort of goodbye/thanks statement at the end of UFC 207.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

Dana White never bothered to tell Mike Goldberg they were letting him go, and apparently Mike didn't get to make any sort of goodbye/thanks statement at the end of UFC 207.

Ugh.

Thanks for your years of service.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

mike goldberg sucks and that is the ending his ufc commentary career deserved

in that interview on mmafighting, he says something like, he is your old warm fuzzy blanket that is full of holes and smells funny and my god is he obliviously accurate on that.

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 25, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ComedyCentral/status/823666627141058566?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

oh good. Barstool's unfunny shitlords on television.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Ugggggghhhhhh

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Barstool sucks but Big Cat and PFT are phenomenal on their podcast.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

the worst part about barstool is explaining to that one friend why it's bad. It takes forever.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://sportfacts.org/nfl-redzone-saved-viewers-from-35-hours-of-commercials-this-season/

Jesus christ. This is why your ratings are down NFL

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Soccer has a time zone issue, especially outside of the east coast, but I've got to imagine that 2 hour games with no commercials is one reason NBC is doing well for itself with the PL

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BWV posted:

the worst part about barstool is explaining to that one friend why it's bad. It takes forever.

Well, why is it bad? So we can explain to our other friends (I say this as someone who legitimately doesn't know why)

At least one of the owners realizes that it's a problem. Two if you count the majority of Packer owners too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

Well, why is it bad? So we can explain to our other friends (I say this as someone who legitimately doesn't know why)

They're basically everything pftcommenter satirizes as far as I can tell, so...of course they hired him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The NFL will probably look at the problem and instead of streamlining the games they'll dump RedZone channel.