Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is the best buy deal with the $100 gift card the best deal on the Rift right now? Thinking of buying back in now that my PC is up to the task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Oculus with the three camera setup is quite good. 360° tracking very solid, totally immersed in H3VR and raw data now.

I may have finally sorted my disconnect issues as well, ordered a very, very thick HDMI extension cable from monoprice and have not had it drop out yet...

We will see, I'm not super confident.

E: follow up, working great. Happy to be back to normal.

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 21, 2017

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I'm curious to see if Oculus is going to pump out their own Wireless setup or if they're going to go the Apple route and ignore the competition because people need brand-loyalty in their lives.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oculus already has a wireless/standalone prototype. I'm sure they are working on it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Cojawfee posted:

Oculus already has a wireless/standalone prototype. I'm sure they are working on it.

That isn't wireless. It's just mobile VR with the phone built in.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'm curious to see if Oculus is going to pump out their own Wireless setup or if they're going to go the Apple route and ignore the competition because people need brand-loyalty in their lives.

Shouldn't the same boxes that work with Vive likely work pretty much identically with Rift? It's basically an identical video signal with less data needing to come back from the headset. They'll need a special cable to match the Rift's proprietary connector and obviously how the receiver mounts to the headset would need to be tweaked a bit, but those seem like relatively minor issues.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bremen posted:

That isn't wireless. It's just mobile VR with the phone built in.

No, it's a retail rift with a wireless package. They're trying to do inside out tracking with mobile too

https://www.google.com/amp/arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/10/rift-goes-wireless-ars-walks-around-in-oculus-santa-cruz-vr-prototype/%3famp=1

It'll be a good year for both headsets.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FormatAmerica posted:

No, it's a retail rift with a wireless package. They're trying to do inside out tracking with mobile too

https://www.google.com/amp/arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/10/rift-goes-wireless-ars-walks-around-in-oculus-santa-cruz-vr-prototype/%3famp=1

It'll be a good year for both headsets.

Did you read the article you linked? Santa Cruz was not a retail Rift with wireless package by any means. It had roughly the same form factor, but it didn't have wireless connection to anything. It was a self-contained piece of hardware with computation on board, though it did indeed use inside-out video tracking. (I've worn the sequel headset.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The future is definitely stand alone VR headsets. The Vive is super cool, but requires a massive investment in a desktop gaming PC. As engines improve and hardware improves, we'll get out of the tethered to PC world and into mass adoption gear VR or daydream level of things. 100% VR graphics improvement + inside out tracking at a sub-$300 price point is what will drive mass adoption.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hadlock posted:

The future is definitely stand alone VR headsets. The Vive is super cool, but requires a massive investment in a desktop gaming PC. As engines improve and hardware improves, we'll get out of the tethered to PC world and into mass adoption gear VR or daydream level of things. 100% VR graphics improvement + inside out tracking at a sub-$300 price point is what will drive mass adoption.

There's a future in both. People still don't do "real" work on the smartphones and it's not only because of the form factor but the inadequate power they provide compared to desktops/workstations. In 10 years (or so, here's hoping) we'll probably have portable devices that are just as powerful as a modern gaming PC but we'll also have PCs that are substantially more powerful than that.

A HMD with a standalone mode and a way to tether (wirelessly) to a big chunky watercooled heap of computing components for higher-end stuff is probably the way to go.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the future is probably Gear VR type headsets, but with inside-out tracking on the HMD and controllers, plus the option to receive a low-latency stream from a gaming PC. That way the mainstream can just buy a nice phone (like they already do) and ~$100 HMD, and the enthusiasts can tack on the gaming PC (like they already have) to that equation.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I'll agree that Mobile VR is the future, but with the reservation that future could still be pretty far away. Even if they get inside out tracking working perfect and figure out some way to get motion controls working with it, there's a lot you can do with a desktop PC that wont work with the processing you'd get in a mobile device.

But given the pace of electronics advancement I expect that, in 20 years or so, non-mobile VR will probably be mostly a niche product and/or limited to commercial use. That's probably why I get the feeling Oculus is concentrating more on that area.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

The vast majority of gaming is done in short bursts on mobile devices, but almost all serious gaming is done on gaming rigs/consoles. I think that's what we'll see with VR. Simple VR on mobiles, with advanced high fidelity VR on dedicated rigs.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Important to remember that VR is a lot more than games, also

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah people are already quoting 1.5, 2 hours uptime on a Google Pixel phone when watching movies in VR today. Double the computing power, double the battery life and a couple big advances in VR software engines, I think that will be acceptable for most people

Don't get me wrong, there will always be a need for high fidelity VR via wireless to a big hot machine, but I think that's going to be more arcade and commercial training etc.

I just see a much wider market for Nintendo DS style VR. Pretty decent video game graphics, plays movies, videos, does web browsing, but if you want a true to life murder simulator, you'll need to pay for a separate system

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

Yeah people are already quoting 1.5, 2 hours uptime on a Google Pixel phone when watching movies in VR today. Double the computing power, double the battery life and a couple big advances in VR software engines, I think that will be acceptable for most people

Don't get me wrong, there will always be a need for high fidelity VR via wireless to a big hot machine, but I think that's going to be more arcade and commercial training etc.

I just see a much wider market for Nintendo DS style VR. Pretty decent video game graphics, plays movies, videos, does web browsing, but if you want a true to life murder simulator, you'll need to pay for a separate system

More importantly, development on one scale of VR informs the other. Improvements to GearVR-style mobile tech goes into making cheaper and more efficient systems for PC-level headgear, and inversely the same can be scaled down from developing on PC-level headgear to making incremental improvements at a GearVR level.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

More importantly, development on one scale of VR informs the other. Improvements to GearVR-style mobile tech goes into making cheaper and more efficient systems for PC-level headgear, and inversely the same can be scaled down from developing on PC-level headgear to making incremental improvements at a GearVR level.

Same for software. Successful games (or other software) on one platform will inspire improved games on the other, as well. So yeah, I don't think one is bad for the other or anything.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

SwissCM posted:

In 10 years (or so, here's hoping) we'll probably have portable devices that are just as powerful as a modern gaming PC...

The Tegra 4 has about the power of an 8800gt and that's only a ~6 year gap. (Numbers may be off, just a rough Google search)

Hadlock posted:

Yeah people are already quoting 1.5, 2 hours uptime on a Google Pixel phone when watching movies in VR today.

Can confirm. I watched a 90 min movie on my Pixel XL in a big spacious movie theatre while my butt was planted in a 17" wide Spirit airline seat. My battery was still good enough for GPS afterwards.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Update: Got a Rift, Touch, 2 additional sensors, and active cables for $810 shipped on ebay.

as the ad listed:

quote:

- Oculus Rift (With all original accessories; Xbox One Controller, Oculus Remote, Sensor, Wireless Xbox One PC Adapter)
- Oculus Touch w/ 1 Sensor and Guitar Hero Adapter
- Oculus Sensor (x2)
- Cable Matters USB 3.0 16.4ft Active cable w/ power supply (x2) [THIS IS KNOWN AS THE BEST ONE YOU CAN BUY W/ NO DROPS)
- Cable Matters USB 3.0 16.4ft Active cable (No power supply but not needed if the other two are powered)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Any experience with GTA5 VR mods, such as they are? I've heard that there's some that track your controllers but I'm not sure what mods they are or how reliable they are. Non-teleport locomotion would be a plus too.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Songbearer posted:

Any experience with GTA5 VR mods, such as they are? I've heard that there's some that track your controllers but I'm not sure what mods they are or how reliable they are. Non-teleport locomotion would be a plus too.

The GTA VR mod requires VorpX, and actually says on their site "NOTE: If you do not already own VorpX, I do not recommend purchasing it just for this mod.", which says to me that the developers don't think the experience is worth the $40 investment in VorpX yet.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zero VGS posted:

The GTA VR mod requires VorpX, and actually says on their site "NOTE: If you do not already own VorpX, I do not recommend purchasing it just for this mod.", which says to me that the developers don't think the experience is worth the $40 investment in VorpX yet.

http://rly.sexy/gta-vr-aka-gta-v-ive-with-vive-support/

The good one doesn't need VR.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Sensory immersion without freedom of movement is always going to leave a sour taste. If I play an open world game on my TV/monitor I accept the gamepad, but in VR I want to use my arms and legs as I would in real life. Possibly never going to be achieved, but that's what it is for me.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anyone else been doing the Global Game Jam? I'm going to take this moment to shamelessly pimp the project we built:

http://www.youtube.com/eRXgpApdQt0

http://globalgamejam.org/2017/games/pilot-wave-vr

Just built for Oculus Touch at the moment, but will hopefully do a Vive port soon.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Ahh missed it. Thought it was still like a month away.

Thought you were in Adelaide. We should meet up and chat about VR game dev. Me and a couple of mates are at the "bandying around ideas" stage.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh y god, climbey is SO GOOD. may be the killer app for VR for me so far. I can see myself putting dozens of hours into it. If you're a fan of platformers it is a must try. The moveset isn't the same but you *feel* like some sort of mario/ezio hybrid.

Only downside is that my arms are in severe pain today after putting in 5-6 hours over the weekend. It uses muscles I didn't know I had.

other games I've put some time into this weekend since getting my VR back up after a move. Let me know if anyone wants more info

Sairento VR - early access cyborg ninja game, a bit more polished than raw data was at launch. features include a random loot and char progression systems, and a cool movement system where you can either shift along the ground or jump. jumping then hitting the bullet time button and capping some dudes on your way down is next level fun

arizona sunshine - I had played this previously but only got what I thought was 1/4 through. Bought the full game and found that where I was (end of caves) was halfway through the level. The 'levels' are *short* and are really only one little area each. steep pricetag this in mind but the production values are really really great. shooting zombies can blow little bits of the top of their skull off, their movements are scary and theres lots of variety in visual appearance.

blueshift- free to play flying game. not much to do now but you can woosh around. a highlight is the 'hyperloop' level that is a closed in tunnel so you just hit the gas and try your best to stay facing forward while you move through a glass looping tunnel at 600 mph

vertigo - only played a bit so far but I was really looking forward to this one and it seems good so far. Good atmosphere and I really like the worldbuilding I've seen so far.

bullet sorrow - the demo is definitely worth playing, see if you like it. it's a pretty standard shooter, essentially time crisis in VR with a teleport mechanic. shooting feels really great but the difficulty is an issue. It's a cakewalk until one room that just demolishes you immediately. There's no checkpoints either and apparently only three levels int he full version so maybe stick with the demo for now imo.

climbey - again holy poo poo, completing the airfield level on the workshop was one of my favourite VR experiences ever.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 23, 2017

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Where does the longevity for climbey come from? I blew through all the levels in an hour or so

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

App13 posted:

Where does the longevity for climbey come from? I blew through all the levels in an hour or so

Full Steam Workshop support.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the workshop levels are where it really shines from the few I've tried so far. There's whole mechanics that aren't in the main game like zero gravity fields.

Also highly recommended is a good skybox, the ones that come with the game are a bit lo-res and poo poo scale-wise. a good city aerial skybox moves it from a bit scary to be up high to genuine palm tingling fear when you make that one handed jump over a chasm with a 5 minute trek back to a waypoint. just search google for aerial spheres that are greater than at least 8mb (bigger the better). It's also better to get ones that are higher up so the lack of parallax when you fall is less noticible

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Time for my Valuable Videogame Opinion Rundown after a month of VR! I'm using the Rift and currently don't have full 360 tracking, so I'll mention what locomotion styles I'm using while playing:

Climbey:
(5 hours played)

Way better than I expected it to be. Graphically simplistic but extremely tense time trial climbing, there's a demo available to try before you buy. The controls take a while to get used to and it's not tutorialised very well, jumping from a standing position will feel like a crapshoot until you get adjusted to it but once you've gotten a feel for what you should be doing, it can feel extremely natural and nailing a run feels absolutely exhilarating. Nailing what feels like an insurmountable leap from one handhold to another over a chasm or launching yourself from one building to another feels amazing every time, but sometimes the controls might seem a little less accurate than you need when it comes to flinging yourself about.

Do not play this under a ceiling light! I've not broken mine, but I've met it more times than I anticipated. I got very good at flinging myself vertically rather than reaching for handholds for this reason. The game includes a "click stick and turn" option for front facing users, and while it's not ideal given how travelling smoothly between handholds is the idea of the game, it's adequate enough to let you complete any level of the game.

The longevity of the game comes from the user made levels, some of which are utterly fantastic, Assassin Simulator being a favourite of mine, but be warned that many of the user made levels may expect you to perform weird engine tricks, have an extremely strong grasp of the controls, or will be unreasonably tough about giving you safe places to place checkpoints. Generally you'll get one out of the three each time. The Buncollection series of levels are fun intermediate courses worth reccomending. I've only played this singleplayer.

Superhot VR:
(Approx 6 hours played)

I loved Superhot PC and this game translates it into VR brilliantly. I've played it several times over from the beginning and still find myself hopping in and blasting through my favourite levels when I just want some fun, straightforward shooting action that makes you feel like an utter badass. Throw, shoot and dodge poo poo in slow motion, this is generally the first game I introduce people to when they're new to VR because it's impossible not to feel like the biggest dicked motherfucker when you play this game. It can get very challenging very fast, but due to the nature of the game you're pretty much in charge of deciding how difficult the game gets since the faster you move, the faster the game moves. While replay value seems limited initially, there's a fair few ways to keep the game fresh such as seeing how quickly you can do things and trying gimmick runs like thrown items only. Front facing with no real reason to turn around, but lots of ducking and matrix dodging to enjoy.

Gorn:
(Approx 4 - 5 hours played)

I can't wait for this to be a real, full game, which the developer seems to have every intention of making happen. An absolute crowd pleaser for VR outsiders, while this is mostly a tech demo it's incredibly loving fun and satisfying and from what I've seen, probably the best melee combat in VR so far. Bash buff soft-body physics dudes around, accompanied with hilarious gore and some extremely satisfying physical combat. The two handed weapons are kind of finnicky to use, but once you get the hang of them they're incredibly destructive. Each weapon feels unique and fun to use and bashing seven shades of poo poo out of a derpy dude is intensely therapeutic. No need for locomotion so meatspace property destruction can remain at a safe minimum, the guys come to you and only rarely do they ever wind up behind you. Cannot reccomend enough. If I've had a bad day at work, this fixes it.

Ripcoil:
(Approx 2 hours played)

Fun enough but lacks depth, the only game I've played online so far. 1 on 1 Pong/Frisbee game. The real reason to play this game is for its unique locomotion, which has you stand on one spot but uses your left/right head tilt to move a hoverboard from side to side. This will totally gently caress up anyone who plays it and the result is hilarious to watch. Every single person I've fed into this game, including me, wound up utterly weirded out by it. By no means is it a bad experience (Though I wouldn't recommend it for people prone to severe motion sickness), it's just super trippy at first until you get used to it. Online matches are relatively short and fun, and make for great spectator sport, but there's no variance in arenas or hazards other than walls you can bounce the frisbee off and an extra mechanic where you can punch it for a huge boost to its speed.

Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades:
(9 hours played)

Initially I refunded this game after a few minutes play because there's a big reliance on roomscale and 360 tracking in order to access all its features, but the couple of minutes I spent with it was enough to make me feel terrible about my decision, which convinced me to pick it back up again and take a better look at it. Essentially a mostly objectiveless series of differently themed shooting galleries, this game features real guns that feel absolutely incredible to play around with. Beautifully modeled and textured with lots of moving parts, you'll feel like a complete badass loading and firing every gun and it's hard not to want to try them all. The dev seems pretty on the ball with constant updates to the game and is adding new locomotion features for front-facing users, but even without it I've managed to use the existing teleport tool and force grab function to get what I want, when I want it.

The biggest issue with this game is the completely opaque controls and heavy assumption that you have a basic idea of how firearms work. This generally isn't something that a new player can grab and grasp within a couple of minutes as many of the guns behave differently and there's a steep learning curve until you're completely familiar with all the weapons and options on offer. There's a bunch of videos on the developers Youtube channel to get you started, but once you get over the initial hump and have a good idea of how to operate a range of weapons, you can lose a lot of time just relaxing and plinking targets, trying out wacky ammo, skeet shooting and running through a house shooting cardboard hotdogs. This game swallows time like it's candy.

Doom 3 BFG VR Mod
(4 hours played)

Doom 3 is a game I've tried time and again over the years and never particularly enjoyed. If you told me that in 2017 it'd be one of my favourite experiences so far, I'd have rolled my eyes. It's really, really good in VR and having a game that's more than just a two hour experience is incredibly valuable. Given that you can get the BFG edition for about £5, it's absolutely worth picking it up and having a go. The dark atmosphere and the surprisingly good sound design (Ignoring everyone's beefs about the weapons - personally I think they're fine) really give you a sense of place.

The mod is simple enough to install and get up and running, and there's a whole slew of console commands to set your controls as you desire them and adjust character height, laser pointer visibility and so on. Despite a few rough edges with the interface and weapon models that can easily be forgiven considering how well this all works, Doom 3 really comes into its own when the ball gets rolling. I play with stick based forwards/back and rotation, but by default the controls are forward/back only. This form of locomotion can be rough for people with motion sickness, but can be mitigated by shifting on the spot as you travel. Considering you probably already look like a moron in VR, this isn't such a bad tradeoff.

In terms of actual gameplay, VR lends a lot to the game. You can peer around corners, your left hand is dedicated to an independent flashlight which lets you check the darker corners of the room while your weapon hand is free, and you can crouch down behind cover and lean around/over to shoot at possessed security. Many enemies that are kind of corny on the PC can be loving terrfying in VR, and the sense of scale on some of the creatures (Particularly Pinky demons) makes them incredibly intimidating. You're still dealing with the more tedious elements of Doom 3's game design such as monster closets and enemies teleporting in from behind you, but I'd be lying if I didn't have a few moments that caught me off guard and made me yell until the sky turned blue. This is my current go-to game if I want something meatier to play.

Arizona Sunshine:
(7 hours played)

One of the current "big" VR releases, mainly hinging on the fact it has a fully featured campaign alongside its horde mode. The campaign lasts about 5 hours, which I completed and started over. It's a fun enough experience and I enjoyed my time with it, but outside of shooting zombies and some light puzzle solving I couldn't escape the feeling they should've gone a lot harder with the world design and incidental interactions. You can rifle through cupboards, drawers and cars, but rarely for anything other than an objective McGuffin or some ammo. I'd have liked to have notes to read, more machines to manipulate, more reasons to poke around other than just to arm myself up again in between zombie rushes.

The gunplay is satisfying and there's a nice amount of variance in zombie design, with different features and speeds present, and weapon handling and ammo management straddles a nice line between arcadey and realistic, but getting accustomed to the game and its mechanics will most likely require you to suffer through a couple of deaths that can feel unfair. Zombie hordes, which are present during a couple of times in the campaign, can quickly become overwhelming when coupled with the reload mechanics and general sparsity of ammo during the earlier encounters, coupled with some frustrating limitations to locomotion and unpleasant walling off of places that make sense for the player to head to tactically. This is on the normal difficulty and halfway through the game I was tempted to go down to Easy, but I stuck it out. The teleport locomotion allows you to set rotation when you place it, which felt good enough for a while but towards the end of the game I was wishing for stick based movement and rotation.

Your character is regularly voiced, and I was prepared to get tired of it quickly but somehow never did, despite the lack of quality in the writing. There's a lot of "tutorial talk" with your character pointing out what he's supposed to do next, which can become kind of overbearing, but they do enough with him that he's actually kind of interesting to listen to at key points in the game. There is a danger of mild memery in the dialogue. There were some occasional graphical glitches, the loadtimes can be frustratingly long and it feels very rushed towards the end, but I'd say that overall it was a worthwhile experience. I'd suggest picking it up when it's a bit cheaper unless you really need a campaign to play through.

Audioshield:
(13 hours played)

Being a huge fan of Audiosurf I knew I'd like this game as soon as I saw it, and I wasn't wrong. Easy to play, great crowd pleaser, and absorbs time like a... time... sponge. Bop your music in its stupid face, work up a sweat doing so, feel great about it. Its interface is pretty garbage and feels very "developer graphic" to me, and I wish there was a local scoreboard and a way to make playlists, but otherwise you can have a ton of fun moving along to your music and swatting all the parts of it you love. Wish there was a workshop for environments, but it's pretty hard not to feel amazing when you battle through a 9-minute long epic. You'll be knackered by the end of it but it might actually count as mild cardio if you really get into it. If you like music and the idea of smacking it about, I highly reccomend it and pretty much anyone can play it.

These are the main games I've been playing, along with a little tooling around in Medium, Quill and some forays into Space Pirate Trainer when I want to cut all the chaff and just have a solid shooting gallery. I also use Bigscreen for long videos as it means I'm completely immersed in watching them, and having a screen that seems a shitload bigger than my monitor, despite the obvious loss of fidelity, is super awesome. I want to try some online games such as Dead and Buried and Rec Room at some point, but can't help but be nervous going into social situations in VR - it feels a shitload more personal than regular online gaming and I already get anxious doing that kind of stuff. For now, I've been having an immense time in VR and I just can't bring myself to sit in front of a monitor and play games currently.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 23, 2017

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The list of games with "hours played" is an interesting retrospective, for me:

Audioshield - 36 hours
Hotdogs Horseshoes and Handgrenades - 12 hours
GORN - approx 8 hours, but a few minutes nearly every day
Holopoint - 22 hours (accidentally left it open lol, not a good game)
SUPERHOT - 6 hours
VR Diner Duo - 4 hours
Elite Dangerous - 5 hours
Bunch of stuff on oculus home - 1-3 hours apiece

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Has anyone gotten around to playing Resident Evil 7 yet on the psvr? Will that be the first real AAA title to come out for a virtual reality device when it is released?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Most of my VR hours are playing Hearthstone in BigScreen tbh

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Most of my VR hours are playing Hearthstone in BigScreen tbh

Sidenote, but I'm surprised Blizz haven't jumped on the bandwagon with a VR mode for WoW yet.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sidenote, but I'm surprised Blizz haven't jumped on the bandwagon with a VR mode for WoW yet.
Square showed off FF14 in PSVR at GDC two years ago and I would kill for VR mode to be a real thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SavOo0fORxQ

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
That would legit get me to both finally switch to gamepad and upgrade my video card.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

So for grins, I hooked up my android phone via an app called riftcat, which emulates an openvr headset in steam. Now I only have an HD4000 "GPU" in my 2012 era laptop, but I was indeed able to get steam VR games to load, if only at 2-3fps

I'm kind of curious to try some really low end wireframe VR stuff to see if I could approach 30fps on a 2012 era laptop. The unity logo seems to track at around 20-25fps before the main game loads.

Ok follow up, ivy bridge 2012 era i5 laptop with built in hd4000 graphics and a pixel android phone

Set riftcat quality settings to low, using the software rendering, was able to get virtual desktop to run through steam VR last night. Capture rate was only 22fps but that was pretty impressive given the age of the laptop and lack of CPU.

Interested to try the setup in a more modern PC or laptop.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Has anyone gotten around to playing Resident Evil 7 yet on the psvr? Will that be the first real AAA title to come out for a virtual reality device when it is released?

Releases in 30 minutes, and yes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you're desperate for RE7VR impressions you can read just about any review, most of them have at least a paragraph about it.

If the demo is any guide, the graphics take a small hit but it's ten times as scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
But is there non-puke-inducing locomotion / turning options?