Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
How is he not in a guild? Or did he just burn every bridge, wouldn't surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mst3kmann posted:

How is he not in a guild? Or did he just burn every bridge, wouldn't surprise me.

I mean, he's not writing/directing for Maron anymore, so who knows.

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

It sucks that the Republicans are taking away Dave's health insurance.

Presumably this means no more Australia tours if he has to get a job for the health insurance. Which is a shame, since I just learnt of what would be a fantastic story for that.

Is there any particular reason the Dollop lads are so popular in Australia? It always seemed odd they would do most of their live shows so far away from home.

I don't follow politics but I understand the incoming president of the USA specifically said he'd keep Obamacare's legal protection of people with pre-existing conditions, so I'd be hopeful there is no threat to the health cover for Dave or anyone else in his position.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Real Quaid posted:

Is there any particular reason the Dollop lads are so popular in Australia? It always seemed odd they would do most of their live shows so far away from home.

I don't follow politics but I understand the incoming president of the USA specifically said he'd keep Obamacare's legal protection of people with pre-existing conditions, so I'd be hopeful there is no threat to the health cover for Dave or anyone else in his position.

Australia has huge support for comediand and podcast in general. The fact that it's a show with two Americans that show how insane America is from an outside perspective is appealing. Their demographics show that touring there is financially viable, and their schedules are usually clear. At least that's what I assumed. Edit: Also they get a lot of support/attention from/with Wil Anderson. Isn't he a big deal in Aussieland?

As for the second part, they did SAY that, and things have been put in place to ensure it, but new Pres. and all the Republicans are doing their damnedest to repeal it without a replacement or protection for those on ACA because it saves the 1% about $150k in taxes, which is mostly made up of new Pres. and Republican Politicians (and other rich people).

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 15, 2017

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Australia has a huge boner for marginally funny american comedians (read: dave anthony and eddie ifft), so in the Dollop's case going to Australia means easy seat-filling

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Arj Barker's Aussie audience truly confuses me.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Dope Lake was an amusing episode. I completely thought it was going to go in a different direction at the start though.

I thought the pilot was going to somehow survive the crash and the story would be about him trying to recover his cargo. It ended up crazier than I could have hoped though.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Previa_fun posted:

Dope Lake was an amusing episode. I completely thought it was going to go in a different direction at the start though.

I thought the pilot was going to somehow survive the crash and the story would be about him trying to recover his cargo. It ended up crazier than I could have hoped though.

lol, same. I thought maybe he'll terrorize the park as a yeti/bigfoot or something.

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin
Dave and Gareth are on Bert Kreischer's latest podcast and it's pretty entertaining. Surprisingly great chemistry.

I'd recommend fast forwarding through the obnoxiously long intro with Bert and his wife.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

This new episode is a real loving doozy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Elitist Bitch posted:

I've not listened yet, but that title means I'm eagerly anticipating it.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Previa_fun posted:

I was confused as hell, thinking it was a repeat.
I've already heard of the story, but I must have read it rather than heard a podcast about it. Could have been a longform article about it linked in PYF that I read before so I knew what was going to happen.
Giving a quick google search now to find the story I found there's a movie about it, and a book on "dirtbags" that mentions it - apparently ever since the end of ww2 Yosemite has been full of a counterculture population of climbers and campers called "dirtbags".
But I think this is the longform article I read last year about the plane crash and the pot : http://www.mensjournal.com/features/articles/the-legend-of-yosemites-dope-lake-w209503

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.

Elitist Bitch posted:

It's right up there with The Dolphin and Roger Babson's Fight in terms of "wait how the gently caress did we get here"

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

This might be the most insane dollop yet.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

it's a blast

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I never want to own a jetpack.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it really is like there's some kind of curse that ruins everyone who comes in contact with it

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Holy. poo poo.

Outlaw jetpacks now.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Fo3 posted:

I was confused as hell, thinking it was a repeat.
I've already heard of the story, but I must have read it rather than heard a podcast about it. Could have been a longform article about it linked in PYF that I read before so I knew what was going to happen.
Giving a quick google search now to find the story I found there's a movie about it, and a book on "dirtbags" that mentions it - apparently ever since the end of ww2 Yosemite has been full of a counterculture population of climbers and campers called "dirtbags".
But I think this is the longform article I read last year about the plane crash and the pot : http://www.mensjournal.com/features/articles/the-legend-of-yosemites-dope-lake-w209503

What movie? Do you mean Valley Uprising?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I started listening to the Jetpack episode this morning on my way to work. "Seems kinda plain so far" I thought...but I stopped juuuuuuust before Larry showed up.

Oh my God :psyduck:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

i want to know that notary's story, such a small role, so many questions

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

AriadneThread posted:

i want to know that notary's story, such a small role, so many questions

https://twitter.com/thedollop/status/825043915505950720

https://twitter.com/thedollop/status/825044268544700418

I doubt she will be willing to answer them, however.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

on the one hand, i hope this doesn't lead to weirdos harassing this lady, on the other hand, jetpackmadness.mp3

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Look I just want to hear the side of the story from the lady that said 'sign here to sign away your rights to the rocket belt please' to the hasn't eaten or bathed for a week-handcuffed to a chair-has a gun to his head man.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Minute 20: haha, man people were weird about jetpacks
Minute 80: :stare:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
gently caress man I usually listen to the Hardcore Histories in one go but you all have me hyped enough about this jet pack poo poo that I may pause it for some dollop.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

gently caress man I usually listen to the Hardcore Histories in one go but you all have me hyped enough about this jet pack poo poo that I may pause it for some dollop.

it's the greatest crime movie martin scorsese never made

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Corek posted:

it's the greatest crime movie martin scorsese never made

I want a Coen Brothers Jetpack Madness movie now. Dammit.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I managed to get both done in one roadtrip. Was quite the experience

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
"Hmm, there's still like an hour left on this episode. I wonder if they go off on some massive tangent or something?"

10 minutes pass

:stonk:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I have to admit, I didn't expect the episode about jetpacks to start with "so there are jetpacks."

Like, I was expecting half an hour of people trying to invent jetpacks and failing in amusing ways, but no! Just "okay, so jetpacks. Let's talk about all the crazy poo poo that happens when you have jetpacks."

E: what I mean is that somehow "jetpacks actually do exist and have existed for years" was the least bonkers thing about that episode how does that happen

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
the jetpack story was amazing because the one guy who could truly build one died super early and the knowledge was lost

its like if heisenburg died of cancer mid season and then we follow Tuco as he tries to re-engineer the formula with partial input from jesse and partnering up with gus for financial backing

no i didnt spoil the podcast i promise

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Jetpack story demands to be a mini-series, there's enough story for at least 8 episodes. Definitely a Coen Bros type project.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I hope boys end up tracking down the notary.

Production
Jun 11, 2001
I want to watch the Paul Giamatti movie about it ("Pretty Bird"?) but I'm expecting everyone is going to be much less covetous and murderous than the real story

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I love it when they get an excuse to do Irish accents.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I love it when they get an excuse to do Irish accents.

ELL- O GUV-NAH, OW AH EWE DOIN EH'?

No Dave! No!

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
Jetpack Madness was probably one of my favourites for a long time. Just loving insane.

The Real Quaid posted:

I think part of it is that TOFOP is fairly popular here (in podcast terms), and Walking the Room was TOFOP's sister podcast in the early days

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Normally I'm not the biggest fan of "here's some crazy dudes and aren't they just crazy" episodes, but I enjoyed the last one, in large part because it keeps circling back to the fact that this whole thing is about a loving jetpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

"Can't we just go back to jetpack tomfoolery?" should some how make it into the opening theme.