Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
This is my first Yakuza game, and so far so good. I'm a little sad to find out I have to manual save because that means I just lost 1hr of gameplay but at least I get to do the charity work of beating the piss out of drunkards again. I even poked around a bit to see if there was a save menu, maybe I'm blind. Are there save points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

titanium posted:

This is my first Yakuza game, and so far so good. I'm a little sad to find out I have to manual save because that means I just lost 1hr of gameplay but at least I get to do the charity work of beating the piss out of drunkards again. I even poked around a bit to see if there was a save menu, maybe I'm blind. Are there save points?
Telephone boxes are save points.

Yeah. It's that behind the times. No one ever accused the Yakuza series of keeping on top of the latest gameplay trends. They finally implemented an auto save system, which has been standard in all other open world games for like ten years, as of last year.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 24, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

do you guys not just use rest mode

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Weird thing about this game: those just stop not very far into the game and give way to the normal kind of cutscenes.

I'll interpret this as a meta-commentary on how 1988 is not only the year Yakuza 0 takes place in but also the year Namco released the System 21 board which was the first one designed specifically to focus on handling real time polygonal graphics, the year the MegaDrive came out, and the year the PC-9801RA line of PC-98's came out and they wanted to represent how cutscenes got better and didn't have to always be in 2D static images.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
I've finally cast away the shackles of an ancient 720p tv, and decided this will be the first game I play in 1080p. Will my eyes melt?

Hopefully the game itself won't disappoint like Yakuza 5 did. With just two playable characters it should be much more focused at the very least.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The nice thing about the new cash as XP feature is that they didnt change the prices on the things that used to cost money so you basically never have to think about cash when you are bowling or buying your staminan x or what have you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy crap this game is good so far.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

pick-e posted:

I've finally cast away the shackles of an ancient 720p tv, and decided this will be the first game I play in 1080p. Will my eyes melt?

Hopefully the game itself won't disappoint like Yakuza 5 did. With just two playable characters it should be much more focused at the very least.
It's also on the PS3 so not overwhelmingly awesome graphically, but lots of good high res textures.

I still consider 5 to be one of the best games (replaying it now) so if that let you down I don't know what you will think of this one...

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I'm glad they're cutting back on the playable characters. 5 had my favorite gameplay of the series, and the story started really strong, but they didn't do a good job of following up on the momentum from the end of Kiryu's chapter. Each character was doing their own side story that only got tied back into the plot at the end. It was like playing playing the intros to five different games and switching right when it was about to get interesting.

They never figured out good ways to use the cast together either. Other than a couple cool moments in 4 (like fighting Kiryu as Saejima) they barely interacted with each other. I'm just bitching (I still liked it,) but 5 definitely felt stretched thin between all of the characters to me

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The DREAM MACHINE vending machine gave me a 9mm Automatic Pistol. Last time I used one it gave me a Tangerine.

Also dat 60 fps~ Going back to finish 5 is gonna make me sad :(

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Goddamn, this game is kinda like Kiryu's origin story, so I wasn't expecting him to be the same ol' army smashing, badass he is in the later ones. But nope, I guess he's always just been the toughest, most face stompingist fucker from the get go.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Please tell me the remake of 1 and/or 6 finally implement an option to increase text speed in non-voiced cutscenes. It's been driving me spare since 3 and it's entirely baffling that they haven't ever put in the easiest QOL feature imaginable.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

precision posted:

Please tell me the remake of 1 and/or 6 finally implement an option to increase text speed in non-voiced cutscenes. It's been driving me spare since 3 and it's entirely baffling that they haven't ever put in the easiest QOL feature imaginable.

Hold down R1 and X and watch all that text fly by, or just tap X. As long as no-one's doing a scripted movement you can skip most lines in the game.

END OF CHAPTER 1
You earned 12.9M! That's eleven times a Diet Member's monthly salary! Good job!

... this game is very silly.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

And then I got access to the mahjong parlour and got a haneman on the first game.

e: and a baiman. Wish I could play this well in real life.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 24, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I love that cash is a non issue. Thank God for the 80s.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stelas posted:

Hold down R1 and X and watch all that text fly by, or just tap X. As long as no-one's doing a scripted movement you can skip most lines in the game.

I know, I just really hate having to tap X twice for every text box just because I read faster than a first grade level. I don't want to SKIP the dialogue, I just want it to appear instantly like every other modern game ever.

precision fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 24, 2017

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
Holy poo poo beast style is too good.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

Holy poo poo beast style is too good.

I don't care for it personally. I haven't played much with it though, as I love Rush style so much. But then I didn't like playing as Saejima very much either.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

projecthalaxy posted:

I don't care for it personally. I haven't played much with it though, as I love Rush style so much. But then I didn't like playing as Saejima very much either.

I'm having exactly the opposite thing on my end where I'm in love with beast style because it just melts randoms in about 5 seconds flat, whereas rush seems to take ages.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Oh I don't doubt Beast is higher DPS objectively but I am having so much more fun quickstepping juuuust out of people's reach then striking them one million times in a second.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pretty much every combat style gets hilariously broken later on including the bonus styles for each character.

My favorite is the breakdancing style though. It oooooowns.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Telephone boxes are save points.

Yeah. It's that behind the times. No one ever accused the Yakuza series of keeping on top of the latest gameplay trends. They finally implemented an auto save system, which has been standard in all other open world games for like ten years, as of last year.

God damnit, that was the next task I was given in the game.

lets hang out posted:

do you guys not just use rest mode

I do but m'lady was going to be playing Dragonquest builders all day today so I exited out.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
My main issue with Beast is that it is easy to be surrounded and be completely shut down. If you have a large pickup nearby, then it melts faces. Otherwise, it has no real counter for agressive, fast attacking enemies (slow movement and dodge, block is worse than useless).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

My main issue with Beast is that it is easy to be surrounded and be completely shut down. If you have a large pickup nearby, then it melts faces. Otherwise, it has no real counter for agressive, fast attacking enemies (slow movement and dodge, block is worse than useless).

Beast gets several options for dealing with that as you level up and can eventually just tank through poo poo and then counter. You even get a Just Defend thing for it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

You know any good entertainment experience will teach you something about yourself and what I have learned about myself in the three hours I have played is this: I am Bad At Disco. Never would have had the opportunity to learn that without this game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I liked rush style in the tutorial, it seems ideal for dealing with bosses when they go into heat mode and can't be stunlocked, which is always the hardest and most annoying part of these games.

I just really really wish the lockon was a toggle instead of a hold button thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sindai posted:

I just really really wish the lockon was a toggle instead of a hold button thing.

I felt that way too but later on you unlock moves that are reliant on slipping in and out of R1 stance so I get why it isn't.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Agh, Amazon tried to deliver and failed while I was at work. No thug face smashing for me tonight. :emo: Stupid games coming out in the middle of the week.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mine came in four hours ago.

I won't get home for another four.

:negative:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Where are the locker keys???

I may just need to progress further, it won't let me go in a lot of the buildings yet, either.

man nurse fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 24, 2017

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Right now is probably the best time for y'all wannabe streamers to make a name for yourself. There's like ZERO stream exposure for this game as all the big streamers are all focusing on RE7.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Samurai Sanders posted:

Weird thing about this game: those just stop not very far into the game and give way to the normal kind of cutscenes.

Honestly I am glad of that. The models still have face twitches which just seems unsettling to me, like a portrait's eyes moving.

I am curious, what is the japanese name for the "...I did it for the trophy" trophy?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

man nurse posted:

Where are the locker keys???

I may just need to progress further, it won't let me go in a lot of the buildings yet, either.

I think phone cards replaced them. I have an item that makes noise when I'm near a phone card, though I've yet to be able to actually see them or pick them up. I also can't enter arcades yet, so presumably the first chapter is on rails.

Is it just coincidence that there's a guy in this that looks like, dresses like, and even has a similar name to Akiyama?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I only just realized that this is a game about the 80s in Japan and cash is your only way of improving yourself, that's a solid goof right there.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
These animations whenever Kazuma wins a minigame are incredible. I forgot how much he gets into playing pool and stuff.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

man nurse posted:

Yeah, you have to be on Chapter 2.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Well my copy came nice and beat up because Amazon didn't feel like shipping it in a box, and used an envelope instead.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

KingShiro posted:

Well my copy came nice and beat up because Amazon didn't feel like shipping it in a box, and used an envelope instead.

My amazon stuff always comes in envelopes, luckily this game turned out fine. I've had some graphic novels get scuffed though!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The reactivity is fantastic. I had to do a section twice because of a power surge. First time, I beat some dudes up and went through a door and had one of those semi QuickTime events where pressing the right button had me dodge a punch and smack a guy.

Second time, I happened to pick up an ashtray before going through the door, and pressing the same button I dodged and then held the ashtray up to his face before punching through it, shattering it and making it much more brutal.

GOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Freaksaus posted:

These animations whenever Kazuma wins a minigame are incredible. I forgot how much he gets into playing pool and stuff.

Did you do the slot car thing yet?

If not do it ASAP.