Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Hansolio posted:

My 2007 had similar symptoms and I didn't diagnose it as bad struts until after my replacement axle shaft popped off a few clamps. So when was the last time you did struts?

They're original near as I can tell, so quite possible...

Terrible Robot posted:

Check the bolts that attach your control arm to the subframe. I had a similar issue on my C70 where under braking the car would pull to the left slightly, but only if you were holding onto the wheel. Braking with hands off the wheel just made the (slightly off-center) wheel straighten out and the car would continue straight as an arrow. Turned out 2 of the bolts on the LCA had worked themselves loose over a couple of months. I tightened them up and the crooked wheel/braking pull disappeared.

Hm, as is this, especially since the shop replaced one of the control arms after the accident. Which is irritating because they did $4600 of repairs and I expect THE CAR SHOULD GO STRAIGHT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Herr Tog posted:

Hi Thread,

over joyed that you exist. How do you feel about buying used hot hatches? I know I may, like any car, have put a bit into it once I buy it but are the habits of first owners to well known(harsh) that I should avoid such options?

What models are you looking at?

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Herr Tog posted:

Hi Thread,

over joyed that you exist. How do you feel about buying used hot hatches? I know I may, like any car, have put a bit into it once I buy it but are the habits of first owners to well known(harsh) that I should avoid such options?

Used hatches are not all created equal, and they're not inherently a bad idea. But it'll depend on what you're looking for, as mentioned above. There a particular warning signs that vary by make, but there are definitely winners in the used market. My 2009 GTI was a real gem until all this crap from it getting hit.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

Let me know what you end up going with. My Focus RS has been ordered and the order has been accepted but I have no ETA on when I'm going to get it. I've been keeping an eye on Mountune and what they are doing because they seem like the only tuner that's going to get Ford's seal of approval for warranty friendly mods. I've heard nothing since the initial announcement back in October of an official Ford Performance upgrade kit (which is being developed by Mountune), supposedly they are waiting on CARB bullshit before it can be made 50 state legal.

Yeah I've been waiting on mountune as well but it's getting to be a bit much. I'll make sure to update with what I end up with if I don't just buy some nice tires for the track.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just wait to mod it till the warranty is up.

I mean i know it's not a supercar but do you have enough cash to buy a replacement engine if your engine poo poo the bed?

just stick to tires, brake pads and learning to drive faster on the track.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

Just wait to mod it till the warranty is up.

I mean i know it's not a supercar but do you have enough cash to buy a replacement engine if your engine poo poo the bed?

just stick to tires, brake pads and learning to drive faster on the track.

Or you can just swap your stock parts back on and claim you have no idea why the engine blew up.

Duh.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

Hi Thread,

I've been looking at new/used GTIs/Rs lately. Here are my observations about used ones:

+
They seem to have insane depreciation, which means the person that bought new paid your $4k-5k depreciation year 1 cost already. This makes the used car cheaper.
You can find really good deals with certified used cars. I saw 2 GTIs around me that were certified and had additional 2yr/24k mile warranties added to their existing factory warranty. I should have bought the red one!

_
You have to worry about modding or a boy racer that owned it before who didn't take care of it.
Used car pricing has been up lately, so often there isn't much difference in price of a used one vs. new. This varies by area and model of course.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Datapoint: I sold my 2016 GTI S sedan with 24k miles on it for $18k.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Or you can just swap your stock parts back on and claim you have no idea why the engine blew up.

Duh.

Ford ECU will know

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I keep going back and forth on ECU modding before my drivetrain warranty is up and it doesn't make sense for me. Ford-Approved stuff might be alright; have to check on cost.

I think the next thing I'm doing is putting a catback system on regardless- FoST is waaaay to quiet

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Can you get a secondary ECU flashed possibly and swap?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah I keep going back and forth on ECU modding before my drivetrain warranty is up and it doesn't make sense for me. Ford-Approved stuff might be alright; have to check on cost.

Mountune's MP275 is basically the warranty-safe version of their B2 package. Same hardware, more conservative tune and a locked down AccessPort that won't accept custom tunes.

B2 is $1299 where MP275 is $1999, so you're paying $700 plus installation (must be installed by an ASE certified technician to be legit for the warranty, no DIY) to retain half of your powertrain warranty. The FRPP/Mountune supplementary warranty only goes to 3 years/36k miles where the stock powertrain warranty is 6 years/60k miles.

Given the ringland thing with the FoSTs the warranty might be nice to have, but that depends on how many miles you've put on it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

Mountune's MP275 is basically the warranty-safe version of their B2 package. Same hardware, more conservative tune and a locked down AccessPort that won't accept custom tunes.

B2 is $1299 where MP275 is $1999, so you're paying $700 plus installation (must be installed by an ASE certified technician to be legit for the warranty, no DIY) to retain half of your powertrain warranty. The FRPP/Mountune supplementary warranty only goes to 3 years/36k miles where the stock powertrain warranty is 6 years/60k miles.

Given the ringland thing with the FoSTs the warranty might be nice to have, but that depends on how many miles you've put on it.

Ahhhhh was not aware of the half-warranty thing. Welp already past that so it's a useless option for me anyways. '14 model year with 30k on the odometer.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The MP275 doesn't impact your factory warranty at all. The warranty is for the items in the package.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Terrible Robot posted:

Check the bolts that attach your control arm to the subframe. I had a similar issue on my C70 where under braking the car would pull to the left slightly, but only if you were holding onto the wheel. Braking with hands off the wheel just made the (slightly off-center) wheel straighten out and the car would continue straight as an arrow. Turned out 2 of the bolts on the LCA had worked themselves loose over a couple of months. I tightened them up and the crooked wheel/braking pull disappeared.

My pesky steering issue turned out to be exactly this just about. Guess the repair shop didn't torque the front bolt on the LCA or something because it was clunking around and spinning freely. I'm so glad all seems well now, but kinda irritated I didn't think to check the newly replaced parts. Oh well. My car goes straight again!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Christobevii3 posted:

Can you get a secondary ECU flashed possibly and swap?

I know a MS3 owner who did this out of paranoia.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

PabloBOOM posted:

My pesky steering issue turned out to be exactly this just about. Guess the repair shop didn't torque the front bolt on the LCA or something because it was clunking around and spinning freely. I'm so glad all seems well now, but kinda irritated I didn't think to check the newly replaced parts. Oh well. My car goes straight again!

That shop sounds like a bunch of clown shoe wearing motherfuckers

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PabloBOOM posted:

Used hatches are not all created equal, and they're not inherently a bad idea. But it'll depend on what you're looking for, as mentioned above. There a particular warning signs that vary by make, but there are definitely winners in the used market. My 2009 GTI was a real gem until all this crap from it getting hit.

I am really looking for something under 10K USD, 4wheel, and just a bit hot at 200hp. Ideally 3 door and not something that needs work frequently unless I do something stupid of course.

angryrobots posted:

What models are you looking at?

Being an American who watches top gear/grand tour I don't know what is truly available to me in the used market.

Radiohead71 posted:

I've been looking at new/used GTIs/Rs lately. Here are my observations about used ones:

+
They seem to have insane depreciation, which means the person that bought new paid your $4k-5k depreciation year 1 cost already. This makes the used car cheaper.
You can find really good deals with certified used cars. I saw 2 GTIs around me that were certified and had additional 2yr/24k mile warranties added to their existing factory warranty. I should have bought the red one!

_
You have to worry about modding or a boy racer that owned it before who didn't take care of it.
Used car pricing has been up lately, so often there isn't much difference in price of a used one vs. new. This varies by area and model of course.

I have noticed used prices are up, even more than usually in CA, and interested rates are down so new does sound super interesting.

Insane Depreciation makes me hesitant but man these seem fun and I tire of the CRV drive

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The MP275 doesn't impact your factory warranty at all. The warranty is for the items in the package.
Ford isn't particularly clear on that. They kinda say both.

http://performanceparts.ford.com/warranty/include/pdf/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2015.pdf posted:

Installation of these select Ford Performance and mountune warranted performance packs and components by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by the use of Ford Performance or mountune parts remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
As far as I'm aware under the terms of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act this statement is irrelevant. If the failure wasn't possibly caused by the aftermarket parts the warranty isn't allowed to care. Obviously the possibility of drivetrain failures being related to performance upgrades is open to interpretation in some cases and this likely results in more leeway from Ford technicians, but basically that part just agrees with what was already legally true.

quote:

Ford Performance and mountune parts are aftermarket parts. The use of Ford Performance and mountune parts may impact the performance characteristics of other systems of the vehicle. Even when operating properly, Ford Performance and mountune parts, such as these, have the potential to adversely impact other systems of the vehicle. If an adverse impact is caused by a warranted Ford Performance or mountune performance pack or component, the period and coverage of this Ford Performance Limited Warranty applies to the repairs.
This part that immediately follows the previous quote is what's actually relevant AFAIK. The last sentence in particular. If the modifications do cause a failure, the add-on warranty covers it.

I'm not saying you're definitely wrong, not a lawyer and I can see how it could be interpreted either way, but I think its generally good advice to interpret warranties pessimistically because the entire thing is basically legalese to be used against you in the event of an expensive problem.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
If Ford says the added-part caused failure they also have infinite legal funds if you decide to contest it. On something like the RS, I would think I would wait.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

This mean you want 4wd/awd? If so that limits your options, especially with your budget (I think).

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

PaintVagrant posted:

That shop sounds like a bunch of clown shoe wearing motherfuckers

100% accurate. All they can do competently is paint. Everything else is trash. I mean, they didn't even finish screwing in the plastic wheel well liner. I'm going under the car this weekend with a torque wrench because they also replaced the steering knuckle and I need to double check all their work it seems.

Herr Tog posted:

I am really looking for something under 10K USD, 4wheel, and just a bit hot at 200hp. Ideally 3 door and not something that needs work frequently unless I do something stupid of course.

You can pick just about any 3 or 4 of your criteria but all 5 at that budget is a unicorn I think. The only thing resembling a hot hatch with AWD for that price would be an old Audi a3 Quattro. But that price your talking maybe 10 years old, so maintenance items will be an issue.

Subaru WRX checks some boxes, but at that price maintenance will again be coming up often.

I'm biased towards GTIs, but that might be your best bet to check out. Don't know about your market, but you can get a mk6 GTI near me for around 10k. No AWD, but probably less maintenance involved than the other contenders if you find a clean one.

You could get a newer fiesta ST, but they're harder to find.

Those are the main ones in my head you may want to do some reading about.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
10k for AWD and not beaten to poo poo is going to be hard to find.

What shop did you use Pablo?

Anyone in the Denver area, I can't recommend Precision Auto enough if you ever need collision repair. All 4 times they've had my car it has come back essentially flawless.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Herr Tog posted:

Being an American who watches top gear/grand tour I don't know what is truly available to me in the used market.

I have noticed used prices are up, even more than usually in CA, and interested rates are down so new does sound super interesting.

Insane Depreciation makes me hesitant but man these seem fun and I tire of the CRV drive

Getting all your criteria in one place is tough so how about a 2013 Ford Taurus Police Interceptor (some "oomph", AWD) for $9000??

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5967111904.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

veedubfreak posted:

At least if you stick to hot hatches. You can get MS6s for well below that price all day and night and usually in pretty decent shape. Bugeye WRX wagons can be had under $10K but usually with 200K miles on the clock.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

veedubfreak posted:

What shop did you use Pablo?

Anyone in the Denver area, I can't recommend Precision Auto enough if you ever need collision repair. All 4 times they've had my car it has come back essentially flawless.

Used an Abra Collision in Raleigh, NC. Other lady's insurance gives lifetime warranty on repairs there, so I figured why not? Now I know. Customer service was ok. Body work seems good. Mechanical? Utter failure.

While we're on crashing GTIs... Paging fknlo for progress on his adventure...

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Re: 10k 3 door

http://bringatrailer.com/2017/01/24/three-door-4x4-1972-chevrolet-suburban/

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

I'm not saying you're definitely wrong, not a lawyer and I can see how it could be interpreted either way, but I think its generally good advice to interpret warranties pessimistically because the entire thing is basically legalese to be used against you in the event of an expensive problem.

Yeah, just gotta kind of assume you're gonna get screwed on that one.

On the other hand looking at the Blown Motor thread on another site for FoSTs a lot of people wind up getting their exploded motor warrantied out even after they've modded the car and tuned the ECU by returning the parts to stock and flashing the ECU back to stock as well. However if they want to dig enough they can tell if you've ever messed around with the ECU and deny your claim. Luck of the draw.

So basically I feel like you should be ready to pay for a new motor even if you're under warranty if you so much as touch the ECU.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah, just gotta kind of assume you're gonna get screwed on that one.

On the other hand looking at the Blown Motor thread on another site for FoSTs a lot of people wind up getting their exploded motor warrantied out even after they've modded the car and tuned the ECU by returning the parts to stock and flashing the ECU back to stock as well. However if they want to dig enough they can tell if you've ever messed around with the ECU and deny your claim. Luck of the draw.

So basically I feel like you should be ready to pay for a new motor even if you're under warranty if you so much as touch the ECU.

Part of the reason I bought the R over the GTI was that I won't need to touch it during the warranty window. That and AWD.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yeah I decided to just stay stock and invest in tires for autox

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Local Ford dealer has three RS's in Stock. Time to go take a look!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Question for those with MK7 GTI's: is it normal that when I have my fan speed set to 0 and my a/c button "off" that a fair amount of air still comes through the HVAC vents? It's enough to notice a light breeze coming through.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I don't have a GTI but that's how it is in most cars I've driven. Try turning on air recirculation if it bothers you.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Question for those with MK7 GTI's: is it normal that when I have my fan speed set to 0 and my a/c button "off" that a fair amount of air still comes through the HVAC vents? It's enough to notice a light breeze coming through.

Yes

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

xsf421 posted:

Local Ford dealer has three RS's in Stock. Time to go take a look!

If anyone is looking for one, there's still two black RS2s at the dealer here (Detroit area). Blue is definitely the best color though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The blue adds 15hp.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

xsf421 posted:

If anyone is looking for one, there's still two black RS2s at the dealer here (Detroit area). Blue is definitely the best color though.

I ordered mine back in December and it's being built this week in Germany. Now that I have a VIN and a build date, waiting for it to get here in May is going to kill me.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Any of you autocrossing the rs and modding yet? We just had three show up and all get out ran by two st's. Seems the weight and front suspension geometry is not forgiving stock.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Huge_Midget posted:

I ordered mine back in December and it's being built this week in Germany. Now that I have a VIN and a build date, waiting for it to get here in May is going to kill me.

I was floored when I walked up to the dealership and there were three sitting in a line out front. No markup either, just asking sticker price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

xsf421 posted:

I was floored when I walked up to the dealership and there were three sitting in a line out front. No markup either, just asking sticker price.

Which dealer (I'm local)? Did they let you test drive one?