Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm a bit of a new age fuddy duddy when it comes to streaming/phsyical media. I've purged myself of most of my physical stuff, but I'm still a stickler for having a local copy of my media. I can't stand the thought of watching a show and not have it sitting there in Plex as a bit of a memorial in case I ever want to watch it again (which in all reality, I won't). That on top of thought that a streaming service could just stop showing a show/movie makes me uncomfortable.

I'm now on the verge of getting some decent internet in which I'll be able to watch a 720p video (or better!) without having to stop and pause so I'm now weighing up my options for Netflix etc. But now I find myself in another lovely situation. I'm going to be paying more for this internet, and it's going to have a 200GB data cap. This has opened up the possibility of paying for Amazon, Netflix, WWE network, UFC Fightpass, NFL Gamepass, the NHL equivilant, Hulu, Spotify etc which are all things I consume (steal) content from currently.

In summary, I'm going from paying very little for an unlimited but slow as gently caress internet connection and getting all my content for the cost of a VPN service (albeit delayed) to paying more for a capped data connection which now opens up the door for an opportunity to spend about 100 bucks more per month for the legitimate streaming options. I'm so confused!

200 gb would last me about 10 days tops, can you keep the slow unlimited internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Snak posted:

Do you have Hulu? If you do, watch Chance.

Ahaha, you're assuming a guy named Blackadder hasn't already seen a show with Hugh Laurie?!

Well in this case you're right. I haven't seen Chance yet so thanks for the recommendation. One question though, is it deeper than "House but with Psychology"?

MiddleOne posted:

Sweet/Vicious, Young Pope, Divorce, No Tomorrow, Incorporated, Man Seeking Woman, Black Sails...

Thanks, hmm, haven't seen any of these save Black Sails. Incorporated looks like my kind of show, how good is it? The only SyFy produced show I've liked in recent memory was The Expanse, most SyFy productions come off as too hamy for my tastes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm a bit of a new age fuddy duddy when it comes to streaming/phsyical media. I've purged myself of most of my physical stuff, but I'm still a stickler for having a local copy of my media. I can't stand the thought of watching a show and not have it sitting there in Plex as a bit of a memorial in case I ever want to watch it again (which in all reality, I won't). That on top of thought that a streaming service could just stop showing a show/movie makes me uncomfortable.

I'm now on the verge of getting some decent internet in which I'll be able to watch a 720p video (or better!) without having to stop and pause so I'm now weighing up my options for Netflix etc. But now I find myself in another lovely situation. I'm going to be paying more for this internet, and it's going to have a 200GB data cap. This has opened up the possibility of paying for Amazon, Netflix, WWE network, UFC Fightpass, NFL Gamepass, the NHL equivilant, Hulu, Spotify etc which are all things I consume (steal) content from currently.

In summary, I'm going from paying very little for an unlimited but slow as gently caress internet connection and getting all my content for the cost of a VPN service (albeit delayed) to paying more for a capped data connection which now opens up the door for an opportunity to spend about 100 bucks more per month for the legitimate streaming options. I'm so confused!

Use Kodi. You can bypass all that malarky and have access to everything, ever.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

-Blackadder- posted:

Ahaha, you're assuming a guy named Blackadder hasn't already seen a show with Hugh Laurie?!

Well in this case you're right. I haven't seen Chance yet so thanks for the recommendation. One question though, is it deeper than "House but with Psychology"?

Thanks, hmm, haven't seen any of these save Black Sails. Incorporated looks like my kind of show, how good is it? The only SyFy produced show I've liked in recent memory was The Expanse, most SyFy productions come off as too hamy for my tastes.

Incorporated is a good show.

Sy-Fy is going through a renaissance.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Rocksicles posted:

Use Kodi. You can bypass all that malarky and have access to everything, ever.
My previous googling of Kodi led to a bunch of smug people not saying what it is, but's clearly some sort of piracy front end. Is it just a torrent streaming front end with all the risk that implies? If not, who is hosting the pirated content and why?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not, it's a media server.

You can access legal or illegal content through it, depending on your level of caring about rules.

But installed as a bog stock download, it's just like Plex.

being open source... people makes crazy plugins.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 24, 2017

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Rocksicles posted:

Just watched the trailer, seems like they were going for Gattaca: The Series, looks interesting, I'll check it out.

On that note, how are Channel Zero, Hunters, The Magicians, and Dark Matter?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 24, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

-Blackadder- posted:

Just watched the trailer, seems like they were going for Gattaca: The Series, looks interesting, I'll check it out.

Haven't seen either the first two, i like Magicians, but it's got book baggage people can't let go.
Dark Matter has Roger Cross. Doesn't need much more.
Killjoy's is also good. In a "we don't have the Expanse budget" kinda way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you plan on streaming anything regularly of watchable quality in 2017 and your data limit is only 200gb you better get ready for some serious overage charges.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

Dark Matter is a really bad show which I don't know why I keep watching. Season 2 was at least entertaining unlike season 1 which has like 2 good episodes.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

X-O posted:

If you plan on streaming anything regularly of watchable quality in 2017 and your data limit is only 200gb you better get ready for some serious overage charges.

Streaming video in SD takes roughly 1gb an hour so you'd need to watch almost 7 hours every day for a month to go over that limit

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
SD is like, what cave people watch these days, though, right?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
SD still exists in 2017 AD?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wandle Cax posted:

Streaming video in SD takes roughly 1gb an hour so you'd need to watch almost 7 hours every day for a month to go over that limit

A lot of streaming services don't let you choose. You get the stream your internet is fast enough to stream. Also I imagine you'll be using your internet for other things as well.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gonz posted:

SD still exists in 2017 AD?

pretty much what 1080p looks like on a 4k 50 inch tv

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Magicians season 2 starts up tomorrow and The Expanse in a few weeks.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

and The Expanse in a few weeks.

Excuse me as I now have to find the TVIV poster who misled me into believing it was coming back next week. :mad:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

MiddleOne posted:

Excuse me as I now have to find the TVIV poster who misled me into believing it was coming back next week. :mad:

He was right. February 1st it comes back.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

He was right. February 1st it comes back.

Haha you monster, drat you

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My TV alone has used 48gb since Friday and I wasn't home for the majority of the weekend. 200gb cap sounds like a nightmare.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

pretty much what 1080p looks like on a 4k 50 inch tv

It doesn't work that way!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tell that to my monitor and TV.

Or build me one.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rocksicles posted:

It is but running it over the holidays with no break doesn't bode well for a second season.

-Blackadder- posted:

I mean, the comparisons are inevitable but it's more like a corporate dystopia than a genetic engineering one (although that's of course part of it). It's mythology can be a little fuzzy but overall its compelling.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Tell that to my monitor and TV.

Or build me one.

sounds like you got ripped off. my 56 inch 4k tv.....i literally forgot the exact term while writing this sentence but upgrades 1080p poo poo really well so it looks gorgeous

e UPSCALE it UPSCALES REALLY WELL

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Magicians is trash but it's perfectly digestible trash. The basic idea of "like Harry Potter or Narnia but everyone's a drugged out rear end in a top hat" would be a little more fun if everyone wasnt such a genuine rear end in a top hat.

Channel Zero: Candle Cove was a flawed but very creepy short little series. At six episodes the very well done tone and eeriness helps to carry it without having enough time to grow old while the sketchy plot stuff moves fast enough to not really give you time to get annoyed. It seems like it could be the horror anthology I wanted American Horror Story to be.

Killjoys is a totally enjoyable episode of the week/metaplot show but it feels a little dated to me somehow. Like it feels like a Sci-Fi version of a USA show from 5 or 10 years ago when even they seem to have moved past that to tighter serial stories. But it's fine if youre OK with that and don't mind something that feels like it would have had a huge following if it has come out the same time as Firefly or something.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

It is actually not similar to House at all except that it star Hugh Laurie as a doctor who's last name is the title! Which really made me roll my eyes at first. But Chance is not a procedural, or even particularly episodic. It is a serialized, modern-noir, slow-burn thriller.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Killjoys is definitely more like a 90s sci-fi show than most recent stuff in that it doesn't take itself deadly serious all the time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

IRQ posted:

It is but running it over the holidays with no break doesn't bode well for a second season.

Syfy runs all of their shows without breaks, it's nothing new.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IRQ posted:

Killjoys is definitely more like a 90s sci-fi show than most recent stuff in that it doesn't take itself deadly serious all the time.

I don't know if I'd describe it that way as its pretty dark and melodramatic with very, very few light moments. But yeah, in some way I can't really put my finger on it feels like a "90s sci-fi show" like you said. Its like they focused first on the characters and more "fun" aspects and the plot is secondary. Where a lot of the modern sci-fi/genre shows feel plot and theme driven.

bull3964 posted:

Syfy runs all of their shows without breaks, it's nothing new.

SyFy also seems to have this really wild schedule where some of its shows are 13 episodes and some are shorter and some are minis and they kind of air on no consistent schedule or time. Like you can count on Magicians to be on each Monday night or whatever but then there's no guarantee that when its over a new show will replace it or that its companion show on Monday night will have the same number of episodes or that when they're both done that the next batch of shows will air on Monday rather than Friday.

As a casual viewer its a little hard to keep track of when or where I should be looking out for new or returning SyFy shows.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 24, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Stupid double post... sorry

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

lol lol just lol if you watch tv live

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

lol lol lol

I actually don't watch TV live very much. Just a few shows I'm really into. Mostly I just DVR shows and then binge them when they're done. I've got Incorporated and Taboo collecting right now, for example, and I'll decide whether to watch them or not in a month or two when I see they've stopped recording and are starting to just take up space.

But like with most networks I can just say "ok, its September, lets see what's on" but with SyFy I have no idea when they debut their new shows that I might be interested in watching/collecting. And I don't regularly subscribe to Hulu or some app that just queue's shows.

edit: To clarify, I don't watch ANYTHING live except sports and news. But some shows I watch week-to-week on my DVR or streaming, some shows I collect and then binge when their season is over, and some I just catch randomly on Netflix or Amazon.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 24, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mu Zeta posted:

lol lol just lol if you watch tv live

Pretty much.

Just set a season pass on the DVR and use SeriesGuide with Trakt to keep track of episodes.

Syfy likes to straddle programming by doubling up finales or premieres.

Magicians is paired with a double season finale of Incorporated and then paired with a double premiere of Expanse next week. That will make episode counts line up and I bet Magicians will have a double finale to line up with whatever is going to take its slot in the spring.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm pumped for the Expanse to come back.

e: was incorporated any good?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw two episodes of Incorperated and got bored but a bunch of people here are saying it's good so it's probably worth trying again.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The main character is completely unlikable. Not in the sense of being a bad person [Although he's also that], but in the sense of it being almost impossible to care about what he's doing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bull3964 posted:

Pretty much.

Just set a season pass on the DVR and use SeriesGuide with Trakt to keep track of episodes.

Syfy likes to straddle programming by doubling up finales or premieres.

Magicians is paired with a double season finale of Incorporated and then paired with a double premiere of Expanse next week. That will make episode counts line up and I bet Magicians will have a double finale to line up with whatever is going to take its slot in the spring.

I made my point unclear, I guess. Its not that I need to know when Episode 3 of X airs. Duh. The DVR does that once I set a season pass. Its that if it wasn't for this thread I'd have no idea when a new show like Incorporated is debuting and obviously I don't have a DVR pass set for a show I don't know is on TV. So a lot of the time I miss my chance to record the first few episodes and only realize a show is airing midway through its season.

That's true for shows on any network as I tend to jump into a lot of shows in or before S2, but SyFy annoys me for some reason because I can never find any consistent scheduling or streaming from them. Like I'm still waiting to find Expanse S1 anywhere (including period cable box searches to see if SyFy plans to marathon it at anytime) and I have no idea how they expect to pick up new viewers when they take 12 Monkeys S1 off Hulu right as S2 is beginning and then take S2 off Hulu right as it ends but put S1 back up.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Expanse S1 is on Amazon Prime.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Season 1 of the Expanse has been on Amazon prime for weeks. Season 2 of 12 Monkeys was never on Hulu, season 1 is there though and you can expect season 2 to show up a week or so before the premiere of 3.

If your are subscribed to Syfy, you can watch a lot of their shows on the website or through the app as well. Currently they have all of Killjoys, Channel Zero, Incorporated, Aftermath and Hunters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The Syfy app on my Roku is pretty nice.

• Locked thread