Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Enjoying the reviews Songbearer! Would love to hear your thoughts on Soundboxing and Island 385 or whatever its called (you have convinced me I need to buy Climbey anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Heads up that the developer of Bullet Sorrow has patched the game to be compatible with the touch again. Game was a great Japanese sci-fi take on Time Crisis that unfortunately broke apart when you tried to pick up a shotgun. That is apparently fixed now and the game is otherwise fantastic.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the reviews Songbearer & The Walrus, I always like reading about peoples' time in vr for some reason. Re: Dead & Buried, don't worry about the social situations, there's only a very brief moment where you're actually 'present' with another player in cost proximity, right before start of the match, and most people just mess around with the cards on the table anyway. You advance on to the match very quickly.

I played Waltz of the Wizard over the weekend and drat, the telekinesis power feels incredible. Just stretching out your hands and being able to whip all the furniture and poo poo around the room in a whirlwind, or lift it all up to the ceiling and then smash it down to the floor... crazy superpower maniacal-laughing vibes.
Also tried SUPERHOT which was cool but I didn't get a huge rush from it like everyone else seems to - might have just seen one too many videos & spoiled myself. I think I'm gonna do the rest of the game on a speed playthrough, makes it more challenging and fun as you end up with more bullet time dodging moments which are pretty great.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

Square showed off FF14 in PSVR at GDC two years ago and I would kill for VR mode to be a real thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SavOo0fORxQ

I managed to get a 3dsbs hack working with ff14 and while the performance was poo poo, it helps a lot with the scale of that game. Some things that look "eh" on on a screen look gigantic and glorious in 3d.

I'd play it in my vive quite a bit if the 2D UI wasn't at the wrong depth :shobon:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

bloodysabbath posted:

Heads up that the developer of Bullet Sorrow has patched the game to be compatible with the touch again. Game was a great Japanese sci-fi take on Time Crisis that unfortunately broke apart when you tried to pick up a shotgun. That is apparently fixed now and the game is otherwise fantastic.

How long are the levels? Do they all have the same weird difficulty curve as the demo?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

But is there non-puke-inducing locomotion / turning options?

The are lots of comfort options, and most people don't seem to have a problem.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Butt Discussin posted:

The are lots of comfort options, and most people don't seem to have a problem.

I mean, normal pushing the stick up to walk forwards is enough to ruin me, and I assume they don't have teleport walk because I don't see how it would work for RE7.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
so completely out of nowhere:

1) arizona sunshine releases trackpad movement for those who prefer it over teleport (me)
2) a deus ex mankind divided "experience" just came out. not sure yet on content or if you need the original game but I'll report back when I play tonight

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

I mean, normal pushing the stick up to walk forwards is enough to ruin me, and I assume they don't have teleport walk because I don't see how it would work for RE7.

drat, that's rough. Best I could think of is to take some Dramamine, maybe even remove the side vision shields, and play only 20 minute sessions until you get your VR legs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One of the comfort options is a static grid overlaying the world, I found it to help. Normally I'm pretty sensitive but the demo didn't give me much of a problem.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Anyone have experience with trying VR on a laptop with a 1050? I'm looking at the Dell XPS 15 specifically.

Edit: Meant a 1050, not a 1060

App13 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 24, 2017

aerique
Jul 16, 2008

App13 posted:

Anyone have experience with trying VR on a laptop with a 1060? I'm looking at the Dell XPS 15 specifically.

Not sure if this is helpful but I'm using a Vive on a desktop but also on a laptop with a 980m with Optimus (which means extended mode only).

I need to turn off display mirroring but then a lot of apps run fine like SPT, most rooms in The Lab, Trials on Tatooine, Onwards.

I'm going to play with the renderTargetMultiplier [1] and see if I can get more apps running smoothly.

[1] https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/476hy6/steamvr_performance_on_the_surfacebook/

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Dear Angelica, the new Oculus Story Studios short, is pretty cool & rather beautiful. All done in Quill. Reminded me a bit of that very early VR 'experience', Evolution of Verse.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Arizona Sunshine feels much nicer with sliding locomotion. Backpedaling while reloading your left gun is all but impossible and don't expect to be circlestrafing around zombie hordes, the stamina system is pretty punishing, but for world traversal it feels a lot more natural and gives a better sense of place than the teleporting did. They even have different rotation options for front-facing players :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

aerique posted:

Not sure if this is helpful but I'm using a Vive on a desktop but also on a laptop with a 980m with Optimus (which means extended mode only).

That's not a good comparison. nVidia GPU models aren't sequential, they'll model versions. A 980m is the previous model of a 1080m

The 1060's supposed to be fine for VR, but it'd probably come down to how much RAM is in your laptop that it can pull from.

aerique
Jul 16, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not a good comparison. nVidia GPU models aren't sequential, they'll model versions. A 980m is the previous model of a 1080m

The m models are not as fast as the normal versions. Depending on who you ask the 980m is comparable to a 970 or a 960.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

AgentF posted:

Ahh missed it. Thought it was still like a month away.

Thought you were in Adelaide. We should meet up and chat about VR game dev. Me and a couple of mates are at the "bandying around ideas" stage.

Sounds like a plan! Do yoy go to arggh?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

bloodysabbath posted:

Oh sweet, this seemed cool.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

Sounds like a plan! Do yoy go to arggh?

Not and not sure what it is. VR club?

Either that or you hurt yourself while typing this post?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
On BBC they donned some HTC vives to look at a 3d map of Florence, with the focal point being the kilometer long tunnel that actually went through buildings unseen. Cannot seem to find anything on the website to do it myself though.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

AgentF posted:

Not and not sure what it is. VR club?

Either that or you hurt yourself while typing this post?

Argggh = Adelaides Really Good Gathering of Game Developers (yeah I don't know where the H comes from either). Monthly get togethers at the Goody.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/382760981775174/

Falken posted:

On BBC they donned some HTC vives to look at a 3d map of Florence, with the focal point being the kilometer long tunnel that actually went through buildings unseen. Cannot seem to find anything on the website to do it myself though.

Google Earth VR? Although it probably wouldn't have the tunnel.

aerique
Jul 16, 2008

Falken posted:

Oh yeah, I saw that last night as well! Really well done.

Looked custom made, a point cloud converted to a mesh and perhaps imported into a game engine.

That had some really nice scanning tech for turning real buildings into 3d objects.

aerique fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 26, 2017

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

My (slightly used) Oculus rig arrives today.

Let's see what I can do with a touch, a rift, and four cameras..

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Here's an interesting one: https://www.humblebundle.com/starbreeze-bundle-presents-john-wick

Starbreeze Studios (maker of Star VR) are presenting a Humble Bundle that includes Payday and Dead by Daylight, and if you pay $25 includes their new game John Wick Chronicles (a Vive-only (so far) VR shootemup), and if you pay $45 total includes a digital download of the John Wick 1 movie, and a pair of AMC tickets to John Wick 2, in theaters Feb 10th.

Probably the most complicated Humble Bundle I've seen so far, but hey, you can give as much as you want to any registered charity of your choosing and get all that stuff.

It looks like Starbreeze has a decent amount of polish on the VR game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE-XaI3mD4M

Interesting that they're releasing on Vive only with no announced plans for Rift, while at the same time they have their own headset that they seem to be relegating to theme-park stuff. Plus, like, they show the game at a con using the Vives. Maybe they're throwing in the towel on the StarVR and trying to partner with Vive so they can focus on the titles?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

John Wick Chronicles is also up for pre-order for 20 bucks on Steam and includes a copy of Payday 2, so it's not worth getting the bundle unless you want DbD and all of that DLC.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I think I'll finally buy Arizona sunshine now that it has track pad movement. The teleport movement was the only thing that held me back.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any suggestions for VR games/experiences to show of the tech to my mom/stephdad/idiot little sister (18)? Keep in mind I only have a Oculus without any sort of touch controller (I just wanted it to play seated sim games like Elite), so that narrows it down. For some reason they know about VR and want to see it even tho i have never talked about it.

Also, how can I get back the initial setup Oculus intro where it makes sure your image is clear and then a T-Rex fucks your poo poo up? Thinking it would be helpful to make sure their headset settings are good plus scare them good.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh yeah I have plenty of suggestions for-

Dongattack posted:

without any sort of touch controller

Oh.

Uhhhhh. Does Sightlines still work on the Rift?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh yeah I have plenty of suggestions for-

Oh.

Uhhhhh. Does Sightlines still work on the Rift?

I used Sightlines on CV1 recently, it was a bit before Touch came out but it actually worked with the Leapmotion!

https://gallery.leapmotion.com/sightline-the-chair/

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is this all I need to achieve THE TOUCH? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oculus-301-00059-01-Touch-Controller/dp/B01LSZCU6M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1485461309&sr=8-3&keywords=Oculus
2x controllers for accidentally hitting cats and 1x sensor?

Maybe i can get it delivered before they decide to come over and say goodbye to meatspace forever.

edit: since its p cheap anyway and will probably be much more fun for them

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Dongattack posted:

Is this all I need to achieve THE TOUCH? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oculus-301-00059-01-Touch-Controller/dp/B01LSZCU6M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1485461309&sr=8-3&keywords=Oculus
2x controllers for accidentally hitting cats and 1x sensor?

Maybe i can get it delivered before they decide to come over and say goodbye to meatspace forever.

edit: since its p cheap anyway and will probably be much more fun for them

Go to Best Buy and pick up a touch in store

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

rage-saq posted:

Go to Best Buy and pick up a touch in store

Sorry, no such thing in my country. Or actually rather, I'm sorry there isn't.

So okay, suggestions for VR games/experiences to show of the tech to my mom/stephdad/idiot little sister (18) that has oculus touch then? I saw there was a painting thing in the OP that my sister would enjoy a lot I think at least.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Dongattack posted:

Also, how can I get back the initial setup Oculus intro where it makes sure your image is clear and then a T-Rex fucks your poo poo up? Thinking it would be helpful to make sure their headset settings are good plus scare them good.

The initial setup thing is Oculus Dreamdeck, it should be an entry in Oculus Home.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

How do I rotate the view in Tabletop Simulator using the Touch? I always seem to get the blue cube when I want the purple, and when I do get purple, it doesn't seem to twist in accordance with my hand movements?

Context
Sep 11, 2006

hannibal posted:

The initial setup thing is Oculus Dreamdeck, it should be an entry in Oculus Home.

It's down at the bottom of the Library in the desktop view, under "Tutorials".

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dongattack posted:

Any suggestions for VR games/experiences to show of the tech to my mom/stephdad/idiot little sister (18)? Keep in mind I only have a Oculus without any sort of touch controller (I just wanted it to play seated sim games like Elite), so that narrows it down. For some reason they know about VR and want to see it even tho i have never talked about it.

Farlands is free on the Oculus store and it's a little "feed cool looking aliens" thing with pretty graphics.

Randomosity
Sep 21, 2003
My stalker WAS watching me...

Deviant posted:

My (slightly used) Oculus rig arrives today.

Let's see what I can do with a touch, a rift, and four cameras..

Make sure you're splitting cameras across multiple USB controllers, otherwise you'll run out of bandwith and tracking gets worse.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

In case anyone was wondering, superhot runs GREAT in revive.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'm itching to play it, but I'm waiting on the proper Vive version because muh platform exclusivity and so forth. It'll be an instant purchase when the timed exclusivity ends.

Once can't help but wonder how long it will be until some dev pulls a Nintendo and just puts their Rift game on Steam with Revive stitched in (or vice versa).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
FOVE is real?

https://imgur.com/a/fMmzv

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/5qic8z/unboxing_album_for_fove_eyetracking_hmd/