Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Radical Left, Tank Top, Bumrush, and Shuttlecock are my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

I still think Warsaw Gecko is their best pun name

drat, I don't even remember that guy. I'm torn between Bumrush and Tanktop

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Does Warsaw gecko count as a pun? It's wordplay, sure, but is there such thing as an actual Warsaw gecko?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Lord Frisk posted:

Does Warsaw gecko count as a pun? It's wordplay, sure, but is there such thing as an actual Warsaw gecko?

Gecko Cup is a car show or w/e in Warsaw.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Think Tank is great, though I may be biased in thinking this as the Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing is my fetish object and role model.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Lord Frisk posted:

A pun is just a contextualized homophone. That context can be visual or a setup or anything else really. If you want to kill the frog (heyo), the context is that a lot of super villains/wrestlers have names like The [place] [animal/title] and instead of referencing some positive trait of Poland, it references genocide.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's a pun on Warsaw Ghetto, guys

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Hedrigall posted:

Which in addition to a historical atrocity is a classic 80s dance track by Nitzer Ebb.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Man James Urbaniak was totally cast against type tonight on Supergirl as a mad scientist.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bull3964 posted:

Man James Urbaniak was totally cast against type tonight on Supergirl as a mad scientist.

Him being in the show for such a short time was one of many terrible things about this week's episode. Stupid Kevin Smith putting his kid in everything he touches now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Was Warsaw Gecko even named? I seem to remember him being in the background and people working out what he was from the shell suit and reptile hood. I can't find any reference to the name after a quick google search, at any rate.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Was Warsaw Gecko even named? I seem to remember him being in the background and people working out what he was from the shell suit and reptile hood. I can't find any reference to the name after a quick google search, at any rate.

He might have been named in the credits since he did speak, honestly I figured it out due to him mentioning his gecko motif and him having a heavy Polish accent

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

He might have been named in the credits since he did speak, honestly I figured it out due to him mentioning his gecko motif and him having a heavy Polish accent

and, y'know, the jacket that was the polish flag

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
They mention his name in the commentary.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Hedrigall posted:

.... SON OF A BITCH

This is how I felt when I figured out Brick Frog. Just loving angry that someone made a joke that loving clever.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

That's not a clever joke, it's a stretch for a pun.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sockser posted:

This is how I felt when I figured out Brick Frog. Just loving angry that someone made a joke that loving clever.

Who even knows the names for the parts of a brick anyway? That's just insanity!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No mention of Unicornelius?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Didn't Hammer say that Brick Frog came from when he was a kid playing superheroes and the only costume left was a frog suit and he used a brick as his weapon? Pretty sure that incredibly clever joke is just a coincidence.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Didn't Hammer say that Brick Frog came from when he was a kid playing superheroes and the only costume left was a frog suit and he used a brick as his weapon? Pretty sure that incredibly clever joke is just a coincidence.

That'd be a hell of a coincidence, especially coming from the guys who gave us Purple Pete Rose and Background Radiation.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Lol who is background radiation?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lol who is background radiation?

Well, to be fair, I don't know if that's his official name. I'm pretty sure that's what a bunch of us here came up with, though.

He's in the picture below. He's the guy in the background, with the radiation symbol on his hat.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Background Radiation would be a cool name if the pun worked in universe. He's just a guy who stands in the background and has a radiation symbol? That's kind of lame.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Background Radiation would be a cool name if the pun worked in universe. He's just a guy who stands in the background and has a radiation symbol? That's kind of lame.

Is it lame, though, to Doc and Jackson?

"OK, we need to fill the background with some generic villains. Get out the pun book!"
"Alright... ... OK, we have... Purple Prose = Purple Pete Rose, have we used him?"
"Nope. Draw it up. Oh, put in Plug Head. Now... who else?"
"We don't have a radiation guy, but I can't think of any fast pun we can--"
"Well, if he's radiation, and he's in the background of this one shot and only this one shot, then it's got to be Background Radiation."

I can see them having a conversation along these lines, making this character up just because he's in the background. By season 8, he'll have a story arc.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I just imagine he gives off a notable amount of radiation, and a protection racket. 'Give me money, and I won't stand around this public space, poisoning everyone with my unsafe levels of background radiation!'

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
He could always be the Rad Hatter.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

QwertySanchez posted:

I like this idea best.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

QwertySanchez posted:

Ooh, that's good.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is there a list of named characters?
I used to really like reading the mantis eye a few days after an episode aired due to the capsule notes. The person running it would go through and try and catch the little side notes etc of the show. It stopped after season 5 though, they musta got a job :(.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

QwertySanchez posted:

was just gonna post this

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Sketchfest thing was how I imagine a con panel, mostly bullshit (funny bullshit) and a lot of war stories about Dana Gould trying to reboot the Jetsons. Only a couple super nerd questions, one about retcons and the worst which was "what D&D class would you be?" The highlight was James Urbaniak proposing to his girlfriend.

The only tidbits for the future were that they're about to start production on S7 and there probably won't be any Trianna. (He left to door open for Dermott though)

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
No Triana isn't really a surprise (I still want Dean to apologize to her though), but what about her father and his friends? Did they mention Orpheus and the Order of the Triad at all?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

qirex posted:

The Sketchfest thing was how I imagine a con panel, mostly bullshit (funny bullshit) and a lot of war stories about Dana Gould trying to reboot the Jetsons. Only a couple super nerd questions, one about retcons and the worst which was "what D&D class would you be?" The highlight was James Urbaniak proposing to his girlfriend.

The only tidbits for the future were that they're about to start production on S7 and there probably won't be any Trianna. (He left to door open for Dermott though)
I believe the correct reaction is :justpost:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

X_Toad posted:

No Triana isn't really a surprise (I still want Dean to apologize to her though), but what about her father and his friends? Did they mention Orpheus and the Order of the Triad at all?

There's like no place for Triana/Dean to go though. It ended badly move on lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I want to see Kim come back as a super villain for ten seconds to get everyone's hopes up and immediately get taken out

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I want her recast, returning as a young mom, given in to 'normcore' (whatever that is), with a career as a homemaker with a side business selling her crafts on etsy.

You will be able to hear the boners of a thousand creepy dudes suddenly silenced.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
She's all christian now - clearly she took over shore leave's bible boat once he left.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
She should just randomly be a background villain in one of those crowd scenes and never be mentioned again.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I believe the correct reaction is :justpost:
He described it as "pissing up a rope for four years" and talked some poo poo about TV executives I didn't recognize. The best non-Venture line of the night was about Comedy Central [Doc pitched it to them unsuccessfully before adult swim]: "If you handed them a solid gold bar they'd get it bronzed."

One other funny thing: someone asked them if they'd had a lot of standards & practices notes and the two that came to mind were last season they had to fight to keep the Monarch's turd falling in the pool and ultimately shortened it and in the pilot when Brock kills the alligator he originally set the corpse on fire, "had to, it was pregnant." Otherwise Doc said they don't get a lot of "notes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol can you imagine the kind of person who would watch any show on adult swim and write the FCC to complain about a cartoon poop?