Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Heh, I just got done watching white collar. The villain threw me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

No it isn't, the show is just taking a break till the beginning of May.

Oh.

Well that's just loving stupid.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Another theory is that she wasn't poisoned by the doctor, and she's dying in the same way that Linda Fiorentino was dying/bleeding out after she pulled God's life support plug at the end of Dogma, and the whole thing is a way to force Lucifer to choose between her and returning to Hell.

*in Joker voice*

"It's alllll......part of the plan."

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

CSI chick still cutest girl in this show tia.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blind Rasputin posted:

Confirmed. Although i'd let Tricia Helfer spank me like a dusty rug.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Blind Rasputin posted:

Here's hoping she's learned how to eat a salad properly.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Rocksicles posted:

Confirmed. Although i'd let Tricia Helfer spank me like a dusty rug.

I can't lie, the little interactions between Amenadiel/Lucifer and Mom are some of the funniest sub-plots this season. Especially Lucifer being such a horndog that he can't resist checking her out, then realizing a second later what he's done and just being totally disgusted with himself.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

drat, that was awful for Lucifer. Reiterating that it was a bad case-of-the-week, but great overarching plot. His, "Did you know?" to the detective was angry and heartbroken. I'm wondering if that little line at the end by the doctor mean she's going to have to face the truth, both about Lucifer actually being the devil and her being a miracle.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Not only was the case of the week garbage, but what the gently caress, Dan? You had one job: protect the person from hurting themselves. Way to not bother taking the most basic step of not letting them out of your sight.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Snak posted:

Not only was the case of the week garbage, but what the gently caress, Dan? You had one job: protect the person from hurting themselves. Way to not bother taking the most basic step of not letting them out of your sight.

Dan being a not particularly good cop is kind of his thing.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Snak posted:

what the gently caress, Dan? You had one job: protect the person from hurting themselves.
The kindest thing to do would have been for Dan to tie her to her chair until the timer ran out, thereby lifting the ethical decision entirely off of her shoulders. She'd be safe from self-harm, and any guilt should at least be lessened by the choice being taken from her.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Robot Hobo posted:

The kindest thing to do would have been for Dan to tie her to her chair until the timer ran out, thereby lifting the ethical decision entirely off of her shoulders. She'd be safe from self-harm, and any guilt should at least be lessened by the choice being taken from her.

Or say something like, "first do no harm also applies to yourself!"

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I thought it was weird cause as a world class surgeon or whatever she was, wouldn't she do more harm if she was unable to do surgery? But i don't think it's worth it to put much thought into the case of the week, it's just a playground for a drama about the devil to unfold in.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also he could have crossed that kitchen in 4 steps tops. Less than 3 seconds, and tackled her away from the disposal.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I assumed the case of the week was a heavy handed way of bringing the idea of free will to the forefront. The same thing Mom and Maze tried to exercise before the convenient wall picture. The same thing Luci is now fighting through on a personal level.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It seemed to me the best thing to say to her was you have no reason to believe the insane guy making threats and killing people. Of course we all know he'll keep his word because this is a tv show, but still.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Snak posted:

Also he could have crossed that kitchen in 4 steps tops. Less than 3 seconds, and tackled her away from the disposal.

Sudden movement might have made her jumpy, trying to calmly talk her out of it (while slowly and subtly getting closer to her) seems like the best strategy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

hangedman1984 posted:

Sudden movement might have made her jumpy, trying to calmly talk her out of it (while slowly and subtly getting closer to her) seems like the best strategy.

Doesn't matter. She doesn't have a gun, she's trying to stick her hand in a disposal. Even yanking her hand out immediately would have been better.

I guess your argument is valid in terms of how Dan is probably trained to react, but in this type of scenario, immediate intervention is easily the best choice.

Very few people panic and hurt themselves when threatened, even if that's what they were planning to do.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Also, I've never even had a waste disposal unit (they're not common in the UK) and the second she walked off I turned to my partner and said "She's going to put her hand in the waste disposal unit."

Dan is not a good detective if he didn't immediately think the same.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Red Oktober posted:

Also, I've never even had a waste disposal unit (they're not common in the UK) and the second she walked off I turned to my partner and said "She's going to put her hand in the waste disposal unit."

It's forshadowed by the strange request of "destroy you hand". Who says that? It's such a vague term. It means she's not going to cut it off or anything simple.

This episode was so dumb.

I hope that this show gets better. The characters and the real plot are pretty great, but the case of the week poo poo is so bad it hurts.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Red Oktober posted:

I assume for Americans waste disposal units have different connotations than source of mutilation/death?

As non-American that is the only context I've seen them (in tv/movies).

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

adhuin posted:

I assume for Americans waste disposal units have different connotations than source of mutilation/death?

As non-American that is the only context I've seen them (in tv/movies).

We call them garbage disposals, so no, not really.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

adhuin posted:

Theyre for potato peels.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Red Oktober posted:

Maybe he's aware of the way garbage disposals work and putting your hand in one wouldn't actually accomplish much

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Well it would probably cut it up a bit and hurt.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Confirmed, only time i've ever seen a garbage disposal in TV or movie, it's killed someone or hosed their hand up.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Rocksicles posted:

Confirmed, only time i've ever seen a garbage disposal in TV or movie, it's killed someone or hosed their hand up.

Or not-quite-doing-so-although-you're-expecting-it, as in Final Destination 2.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Red Oktober posted:

Or not-quite-doing-so-although-you're-expecting-it, as in Final Destination 2.

The last garbage disposal gag I remember was Arsenio Hall in Amazon Women on the Moon.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Lethal Weapon, the Fox show, also used the garbage disposal gag in the last couple of weeks.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Closest I could think of is Dr. Holt in Scream Queens. He had his hand go through the garbage disposal, but it was played to an extreme.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Aaaaand Chloe's like, 'well if I didn't feel like fainting before, I do now!'

Wait, if Lucifer's only vulnerable when Chloe's nearby....does that mean he has to suicide in the hospital somewhere?

"Who wants to kill me?"

*raised hands*

Astrofig fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 31, 2017

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
There's like no chance this doesn't end on a huge cliffhanger and I'm angry already. :arghfist:

e: doc is the best. wait. csi girl is also best.

ZZT!

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 31, 2017

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Oh Luci, no.....

Edit: The peace.....like, Jesus? The second coming?

Maze, casually electrocuting Charlotte: 'Oops.'

Astrofig fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 31, 2017

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
oh yeah, and maze too :v:

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Well that or piece and their setting up the back half of the season.

Edit: That could almost have worked as a series finale. It had everybody working as a team closing off a ton of storylines. It was great.

frgildan fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 31, 2017

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
THREE. loving. MONTHS

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Well, that was thoroughly enjoyable.

Now to wait till May.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
That was an amazing episode. Amanadiel actually feeling confident and sure of himself and just standing as an iron wall against security while framed against that doorway was a beautiful shot and I kept expecting to see his wings just burst out of his back from him finally feeling worthy of them again.

Lucifer just saying gently caress it and going out on his own to settle his head and/or scheme revenge on everyone involved in things getting to this point is completely in character for the man we've seen, too.

And yes, Maze continues to own. Especially for just zapping the gently caress out of ol' mum the first instant she got.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Fantastic episode but I thought the setup for the (very Winter Finale-esque) ending was a little forced. They did tie together a lot of storylines though, and for such an emotionally-charged episode I appreciated that they took time for humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Zebulon posted:

That was an amazing episode. Amanadiel actually feeling confident and sure of himself and just standing as an iron wall against security while framed against that doorway was a beautiful shot and I kept expecting to see his wings just burst out of his back from him finally feeling worthy of them again.

That was an amazing scene. He played it perfectly, the determination and grit - no more doubting himself, he realizes Lucifer has been right all along.

Show is better than it had any right to be.

• Locked thread