Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Keiya posted:

Megatextures are stupid, for an online shooter. They basically make it impossible for fans to make new maps. You'd think id of all people would understand why that's a bad idea.

I thought you can still make the texturing as repetitive and tiled as you want even with MegaTexture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I dug up a copy of QW ~5 years ago when the online scene was still kicking and the sheer knowledge and skill of the players was impossible to deal with. Imagine playing competitive CS as a newbie where everybody is bouncing frag grenades off rooftops right into your lap every time you spawn. It was rough and I didn't stick around long because of it.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

BattleMaster posted:

I thought you can still make the texturing as repetitive and tiled as you want even with MegaTexture.
You can't make maps with megatextures at all unless you're a AAA studio with a rendering farm.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

fishmech posted:

Was re-reading an old Kindle book I had and noticed it covered a decent amount of early FPS games so far:

Is there a reason why System Shock 2 isn't in here? I can understand System Shock not really fitting the FPS mold the author seems to be demonstrating but SS2 is a legit FPS

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RyokoTK posted:

I mean, kinda? If you're looking for a retread of Quake 1, you're never going to get it, because Quake 1 was definitely the black sheep of the Quake franchise. If you're looking for a followup to Quake 2 or 4, that's kinda weird too because Quake 2 is 100% a product of the 90s and Quake 4 was truly forgettable. Quake's legacy is and always has been its multiplayer, even if the single player was perfectly good and and fine.

eta: I don't want anyone to think I'm dogging on Quake's single player, because I really like Quake, but I think it's pretty much dead and buried forever and I'm fine with that.

I dunno, I think the market's ripe for a Quake 1 reboot given how well the new Wolfenstein and Doom games have done. Hell, they could even unify the Q1, Q2 and Q3 settings and make it a full reboot of Quake as a whole; it'd be badass to fight Strogg enemies in Q1 architecture or see a Shambler and a Tank Commander throw down. Plus, the inevitable Mick Gordon remix of Quad Machine would make it worth it in and of itself.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I dunno, I think the market's ripe for a Quake 1 reboot given how well the new Wolfenstein and Doom games have done. Hell, they could even unify the Q1, Q2 and Q3 settings and make it a full reboot of Quake as a whole; it'd be badass to fight Strogg enemies in Q1 architecture or see a Shambler and a Tank Commander throw down. Plus, the inevitable Mick Gordon remix of Quad Machine would make it worth it in and of itself.
I'm reminded that this is a thing.

Would be nifty to see some Quake 2 mappers make use of 'em, I guess.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Aces High posted:

Is there a reason why System Shock 2 isn't in here? I can understand System Shock not really fitting the FPS mold the author seems to be demonstrating but SS2 is a legit FPS

That's a 1999 game, and I've only gotten up to games from 1998 in the book.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

oh, whoops I thought it was earlier than that. Wait that's why, I got it and SiN mixed up in terms of release dates :downs:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

BattleMaster posted:

Sure, but you still need a god drat render farm to prepare it.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Did I ever post my level showing off megatextures in Doom... 2?? https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/92263-cornell-box/

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Actually, given how long it's been since RAGE was released, I'd be pretty surprised if a top of the line desktop machine couldn't chug through a Megatexture process in some high-but-manageable timeframe. Were the modding tools ever released? Because I'll bet the relative unpopularity of the game has more to do with it than the processing time of the generation system (assuming it was ever released)

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Pathos posted:

Were the modding tools ever released?

Yes. As far as we know, all of one person has ever made any maps for it. Being far too technically complicated to work with for the Average Joe, compared to say, Doom Builder, is pretty much a solid confirmed.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Linguica posted:

Did I ever post my level showing off megatextures in Doom... 2?? https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/92263-cornell-box/
I don't believe you had, but I recall seeing it on @doom_txt a while back.

Might be an interesting way to fake Quake-style lightmapping for a ZDoom map or something (even if the sprite lighting wouldn't accurately reflect it). At any rate, it'd afford the mapper larger texture sizes to work with, so that'd be a minor boon. Certainly reminds me of gravity.wad, and how it used unique textures to simulate sunlight-casted shadows in a similar manner.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Is it just hard for people to use the Doom Engine to fake lights with sectors or something? that's like the big cornerstone of Duke3D/Build Engine light trickery, building lights sources from multiple sectors to fake it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pathos posted:

Actually, given how long it's been since RAGE was released, I'd be pretty surprised if a top of the line desktop machine couldn't chug through a Megatexture process in some high-but-manageable timeframe. Were the modding tools ever released? Because I'll bet the relative unpopularity of the game has more to do with it than the processing time of the generation system (assuming it was ever released)

When Quake 2 mapping was new I remember waiting hours for QRad to calculate lights, and I never made actual large, detailed maps. I'm quite sure those who made serious maps sometimes had QRad times measured in days.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Is it just hard for people to use the Doom Engine to fake lights with sectors or something? that's like the big cornerstone of Duke3D/Build Engine light trickery, building lights sources from multiple sectors to fake it.

On floors, no. On walls, yeah. Either way making it look as smooth as ling's box and have it hold up to scrutiny as far as gradients go is not easy in vanilla, hence the megatexture approach

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I always appreciated good lighting in Duke maps. It's such an important detail that bad map makers overlook. It really adds to the immersion.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Linguica posted:

LOL you actually did it! I had an idea similar to Shadow Hog a while back of a light map utility for Doom maps (it would work just like Quake except the light maps have to be baked into the textures). I think it's theoretically possible...

Where did your textures come from? That Renderman community link?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

nielsm posted:

When Quake 2 mapping was new I remember waiting hours for QRad to calculate lights, and I never made actual large, detailed maps. I'm quite sure those who made serious maps sometimes had QRad times measured in days.

Yeah, same for the little Half-Life maps I made in Hammer. I remember seeing the map editor for Crysis the first time and being amazed that you could drop right in.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wow, SWAT 4 is out on GOG now. £7.99

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Here's the rest of the early FPSes in there, up to 2004 which is pretty much the cutoff

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Went to go play Poke646 at the recommendation of this thread, was very saddened to find out you can't play it on Half-Life: Source, which is the only version I have. :( For the first time in like 15 years, I find myself sad that I didn't save the jewel cases of my original Half-Life, Blue Shift, and Opposing Force, because I am almost certain the cd-keys present on them would have worked in Steam.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Went to go play Poke646 at the recommendation of this thread, was very saddened to find out you can't play it on Half-Life: Source, which is the only version I have. :( For the first time in like 15 years, I find myself sad that I didn't save the jewel cases of my original Half-Life, Blue Shift, and Opposing Force, because I am almost certain the cd-keys present on them would have worked in Steam.
A Gunman Chronicles cd key will work on Steam.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

tribes 2 but not tribes 1 what the heck??

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I have an old Half-Life "Platinum Collection" box set, and each disk has a different key. I'm pretty sure at least one of them is unused.

You don't have PM's, so add me on Steam if you're interested.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/riffraff1138/

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Wow, that was really awesome of you! Time to push my backlog even further by playing the full Half-Life series again, and dive down the rabbit hole of mods

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

You just reminded me that I have Black Mesa sitting in my steam library unplayed. I honestly haven't cracked it open just because I know it'll start a huge Half Life binge.

Outside of playing Half Life years ago, I've never played any of the mods or expansions. Same goes with Half Life 2 and portal, as until recently I didn't have a PC.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I have Quake 1 and Quake 2 on Steam during one of the last sales. Isn't there supposed to be music, at least for Quake 1?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Not on Steam because :effort: GOG releases are the real deal though.

check the Steam forums for the unofficial patches, they include the music

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Speaking of Half Life mods I wonder what ever happened to Black Widow Games and the They Hunger Source game they were working on?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Getting back into Strife before I sit down and watch the speed runs for the game. I now have pretty much every fps I ever wanted to play as a kid. Feels really good.

Also, found my old man's dos laptop from the 90s with a rolorball mouse and Norton command. Had a couple games like Dangerous Dave, Wolf 3D and Spear of Destiny.

He actually managed to finish SOD and had saves for each major encounter of the game.

I still remember when he first bought me a brand new dual boot win95/dos pentium with ultimate doom with the same save pattern. That was the first time I saw e4m8 on one of the last saves.

Stuff like this makes me miss him a lot :gbsmith:

Convex posted:

Grabbing this right now.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Narcissus1916 posted:

You just reminded me that I have Black Mesa sitting in my steam library unplayed. I honestly haven't cracked it open just because I know it'll start a huge Half Life binge.

Outside of playing Half Life years ago, I've never played any of the mods or expansions. Same goes with Half Life 2 and portal, as until recently I didn't have a PC.

Black Mesa is crazy good. The level of polish is just obscene. The biggest issue with it is the AI is a bit too responsive, I remember I downloaded some sort of mod that dialed them back to more HL1-esque standards

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Ularg posted:

I have Quake 1 and Quake 2 on Steam during one of the last sales. Isn't there supposed to be music, at least for Quake 1?

For Quake 1 see: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=119489135

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Speaking of Half Life mods I wonder what ever happened to Black Widow Games and the They Hunger Source game they were working on?

lead dude got incredibly sick and project fell apart shortly after from what i last heard. I don't know much else, and that info is probably years old at that.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Convex posted:

Hey, we should all get together and co-op SWAT4! Let's brutalize civilians enforce the law together!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Casimir Radon posted:

A Gunman Chronicles cd key will work on Steam.

FUUUUUUCK I forgot about that game

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

verbal enema posted:

FUUUUUUCK I forgot about that game

Everyone always forgets Gunman Chronicles, despite it being rad as gently caress.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Thanks guys for the Quake help.

Someone on #steamgoons recommended I download 1994tu.wad (1994 tune up) and I was expecting doom/doom 2 reimagined levels, but nope complete unique map set and a saddistic one at that. Oh hey room 2 have a revanant. Last room have two pain elementals, oh and if you dashed for the exit because of those pain elementals LOL baron of hell in the exit room.

Next level: "Oh a chainsaw I want that" hit button, floor sinks instead of chainsaw podium and I'm swarmed by enemies. Never was given that chainsaw.

With that said, oh man those were satisfying levels.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Is there a way to use EDuke32 to make levels for Shadow Warrior '97, or do you have to use the standard Build Editor? I ask because I remember using the Build editor that came with the Megaton Edition of Duke3D on Steam, but I ran into problems with it where it wouldn't work properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Is there a way to use EDuke32 to make levels for Shadow Warrior '97, or do you have to use the standard Build Editor?
I'm pretty sure the BUILD editor for Shadow Warrior was different from Duke3D's, but it's been years since I touched it, so...