Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The different is that lower case faith often has evidence i.e. your phone isnt exploding every day and thousands of planes land safely every day. That isnt the same as assuming you have a personal relationship with thr creator of the universe, that masturbation is somehow evil, or that you know when a soul enters a body or that it even exists.

Faith in an airplane is based on history. Faith in jesus is a virus. Just replace Jesus with Zeus or Thor or Sargeras and it sounds crazy eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Sargeras is the most crazy in that example, because he's a bad guy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aramek posted:

Sargeras is the most crazy in that example, because he's a bad guy.

Zeus hosed a swan man. He ain't a very good guy either.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Zeus loving was way more good than bad. I'm calling that a wash.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Even if you think it's absurd that someone believes in a specific God, why is it your business? Why do you have to butt in and tell them how mentally ill and illogical they are being? People believe in the dumbest poo poo, whether it is healing crystals, mystical powers of yoga/meditation, gods, witchcraft, whatever. You don't have to agree with them, but is it so much to ask to let them be instead of trying to force them into your line of thinking? If someone thinks hanging an amethyst pebble on their neck is making their life better, what do I have to gain by telling them it's just a stupid rock and isn't doing anything at all?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Even if you think it's absurd that someone believes in a specific God, why is it your business? Why do you have to butt in and tell them how mentally ill and illogical they are being? People believe in the dumbest poo poo, whether it is healing crystals, mystical powers of yoga/meditation, gods, witchcraft, whatever. You don't have to agree with them, but is it so much to ask to let them be instead of trying to force them into your line of thinking? If someone thinks hanging an amethyst pebble on their neck is making their life better, what do I have to gain by telling them it's just a stupid rock and isn't doing anything at all?

I don't think it's a bad thing to try to interfere when people are objectively harming themselves or others with their beliefs, like faith healing for chronic illnesses or rebirthing poo poo for troubled children etc etc. I'd say the majority of the time stay out of it but if someone's throwing their kid into a snakepit to prove their godliness yeah I'd prefer if someone stepped in

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Well yeah but thats not the type of situation i was talking about at all.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I think I'll always be a little easy on religion because I've known some very good people who've gone through some very terrible things who credit their faith for their survival. I couldn't imagine taking that away from them, particularly because I myself wouldn't be strong enough to brave them. If people can convince themselves the universe is ultimately caring and loving and they're not alone, well that seems like a great comfort.

But on the numbers side, you're saying between 60%-84% of the world (so some 4.2-5.9 billion people depending on your source) are mentally ill. Well fine, I'm sure everyone on earth has an affliction if you really have a go at it, from seasonal depression to addictive personality disorder. But anyone will tell you that mental illness is a hell of a well, so what commonality could these billions of people have and indeed, this being the majority of the population, is it fair to designate it abnormal? Maybe under that consideration, those of us who don't believe in something are the abnormality and therefore mentally ill?
I agree with the folks saying faith, trust and belief are a normal condition for animals. It's a necessary condition of being a social creature and sometimes the outlet happens to be religion.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 41 minutes!

Grandmother of Five posted:

Most of us need some degree of faith in order to board an airplane or make use of medicine. Faith is absolutely necessary, and a good and useful tool in a society with any degree of specialization.

I don't know if that would be considered faith. At least in my case it's more a matter of "this is an acceptably low risk relative to the benefit." I realize a plane might crash or a medicine might not work, but I consider that an acceptable risk since planes are convenient and medicine is often necessary/helpful. Assuming that something is likely based upon factors like "experts in the field agree about it" or something is a perfectly rational thing to do, and it only really crosses the line into faith if you truly believe 100% that something is true.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Jastiger posted:

Faith in jesus is a virus. Just replace Jesus with Zeus or Thor or Sargeras and it sounds crazy eh

like nobody even tries to toe the line by saying Zeus or Sargeras were great moral teachers worthy of study regardless of not actually being divine as some people do with Jesus/Buddha/whatever tho, I doubt anyone'll give Thor even that much outside credibility

e:

i guess ultimately i don't begrudge people for being religious even if i met a neo-pagan/wiccan or something even though i might have issues with how they choose to express it in everyday life if they're going to be an rear end about it

hard counter has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Jan 24, 2017

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Im p strong about it because, much like the South, many of the ills that plague humanity today are directly the result of Faith and Religion. Not all, but most.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is corn syrup from jesus? IMO that is the chief export of the south that is destroying America.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jastiger posted:

The different is that lower case faith often has evidence i.e. your phone isnt exploding every day and thousands of planes land safely every day. That isnt the same as assuming you have a personal relationship with thr creator of the universe, that masturbation is somehow evil, or that you know when a soul enters a body or that it even exists.

Faith in an airplane is based on history. Faith in jesus is a virus. Just replace Jesus with Zeus or Thor or Sargeras and it sounds crazy eh

Jastiger posted:

Im p strong about it because, much like the South, many of the ills that plague humanity today are directly the result of Faith and Religion. Not all, but most.

just like how God is what he is, you are what you are, a dumbass.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

spit on my clit posted:

just like how God is what he is, you are what you are, a dumbass.

Every post I've seen by you in this, the Bad Opinions thread for posting Bad Opinions, has just been 'your opinion is bad' and it's honestly more tiring than Jastiger at this point.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Every post I've seen by you in this, the Bad Opinions thread for posting Bad Opinions, has just been 'your opinion is bad' and it's honestly more tiring than Jastiger at this point.

I like making GBS threads on him, but you've got a point, I'll stop.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
To clarify, I'm not saying Jastiger's opinions aren't bad.

Anyway, I think MGS 1 & 2 are better and more entertaining than 3.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My opinions arent bad though, just unpopular with some angry posters. The Silent Majority is on my side.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No you're legit dumb as a brick.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
my unpopular opinion is that you should attack people's arguments rather than just try to browbeat them

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

To clarify, I'm not saying Jastiger's opinions aren't bad.

Anyway, I think MGS 1 & 2 are better and more entertaining than 3.

3 is the best in actual game terms, as in it's the most fun to play, but yeah, 1 and especially 2 are more entertaining.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Metal Gear 2 is the best Metal Gear game all things considered. (Haven't played MGS5 yet.)

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I like 2 and 3. I was on some powerful drugs when I played 2 tho so I don't know how much of its impact was deserved.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Jerry Cotton posted:

Metal Gear 2 is the best Metal Gear game all things considered. (Haven't played MGS5 yet.)

Are you talking about Metal Gear 2 or Metal Gear Solid 2? (I assume the latter.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Are you talking about Metal Gear 2 or Metal Gear Solid 2? (I assume the latter.)

Calling the third Xbox the Xbox One was the best :troll: move because now when idiot hell fuckers call the Xbox the Xbox 1 they're going to have to explain themselves.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They should call the next Xbox The First Xbox.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

so like

were you talking about the MSX game or not

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

so like

were you talking about the MSX game or not

I guess you'll never know :shrug:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

No you're legit dumb as a brick.

Jastiger tends to respond with actual arguments and explain why he presents ideas the way he does. He rarely responds with personal attacks. The way he phrases and fixates on certain things is definitely trolling but he does it in a truthful context which is probably the most effective type of trolling cause people can't stop responding to him

No one responds to FAROOQ anymore cause everything they post is blatant

Jastiger is a good poster even if some of his opinions are bad (a lot of them are not)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Calling religion a mental illness is misguided. Very, very, few people actually believe god talks to them or whatever, they just pretend that because that's the norm in the social group they belong to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

Jastiger tends to respond with actual arguments and explain why he presents ideas the way he does. He rarely responds with personal attacks. The way he phrases and fixates on certain things is definitely trolling but he does it in a truthful context which is probably the most effective type of trolling cause people can't stop responding to him

No one responds to FAROOQ anymore cause everything they post is blatant

Jastiger is a good poster even if some of his opinions are bad (a lot of them are not)

Dumb people can do all of that. Don't be an ableist man.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Crisps are better than chocolate as far as snack food goes.
Salty is better than sweet in food in general.

Jastiger posted:

The Silent Majority is on my side.
There's no such thing as the silent majority. If you think that the people who agree with you are just not speaking up for some reason, you're actually just expressing very unpopular opinions.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
As someone who has been banned from at least one thread for being a complete dickhead and attacking people verbally (although it was deserved since it was mostly against the worst poster on the site - Captain Invictus) Jastiger might have edgy opinions but he puts them across in a refined way.

hard counter posted:

I like 2 and 3. I was on some powerful drugs when I played 2 tho so I don't know how much of its impact was deserved.

That sounds like a hell of a time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'd go to church if it meant I could get rich or exploit people. What is it, maybe 2 hours a week, tops?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Ramagamma posted:

That sounds like a hell of a time.

the video game bloody talks to you :stonklol:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Salty is better than sweet in food in general.

There's no such thing as the silent majority. If you think that the people who agree with you are just not speaking up for some reason, you're actually just expressing very unpopular opinions.

Nope they agree.

Nah tbh i kinda feel good about it because several times in this and the last iteration of the thread people are all 'shaddap Jastiger ' then multiple people pages later, unknowingly of course, echo my opinion and run with it.

Feels good, man.

Content cuz Im mad about it: opposing planned parenthood and abortion makes you a piece of poo poo.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

So your idea is that your opinions are not unpopular because other people also post the same ones. In the unpopular opinions thread.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hard counter posted:

the video game bloody talks to you :stonklol:

I don't like MGS2, I played it once back when it first came out but the end of that game goes places I just don't feel comfortable with.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Revengeance was better than all the other Metal Gear Solid games, and those games are pretty darn tootin good.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Revengeance

What a word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

RULES OF NATUUUUUUUUUREEEEE!