Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Isn't that Rauatai itself? Or did I miss a more fitting teaser for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It feels more like some sort of petty kingdom forming in Deadfire to keep Rauatai and the Republics out.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Zore posted:

Man I'd love dumb prestige classes or insane capstones.

Give me a Ranger prestige class called beastmaster that lets me have a second pet. I want to drown the last boss in wave after wave of bears from my 6 Ranger party :colbert:

Prestige/capstone stuff would be cool, but I also hope they open the doors on Multiclassing. I would be a very happy man if I could get my hands on some of the Fighter or Ranger talents like Confident Aim, Rapid Fire, or Driving Flight.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Clever Spambot posted:

Another teaser image happened, seems to be another new character/faction but i'm not super well versed in the lore.
https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/823592639140270080

There was a 26 in the last one which made me assume it was referring to the day this month when an announcement would be made (since josh sawyers twitter also made vague allusions to that date). Not sure what the 10 here could mean though.

The teasers go out at 10am pst so I'm guessing the reveal of the kickstarter or whatever will also be then

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CottonWolf posted:

It feels more like some sort of petty kingdom forming in Deadfire to keep Rauatai and the Republics out.

Yeah, the green one with cannons and fish being Rauatai and he purple one from yesterday being the republics makes sense.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

rope kid posted:

Certain aspects are easy to open up to modding. Others are quite difficult. Exposing data for spells, items, attribute modifiers, etc. is pretty easy. Allowing people to easily modify or make their own maps is very difficult. Rather, it's sort of difficult and extremely time-consuming.
I don't think anyone with even a cursory knowledge of how they're built would expect map creation to be on the table. What I'm wondering is whether we'll be able to create new things and populate the game with them on existing maps. Cranking the damage on spells is fine but what about new effects? What about sticking an NPC with custom dialogue and a questline into a modestly populated corner of a map? What about reusing existing interior maps to create new areas?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Personally I'm more interested in the ability to add new classes or talents and spells than add new maps.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/5pqb9u/the_full_making_of_pillars_of_eternity/dct81zy

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Somebody really wanted to swear on "social media".

As a side note, it's really great that Obsidian published that documentary. I think it perfectly captures what game development means and it's not all fun and games (pun not intended).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Awesome, that takes care of 90 of the 300 minutes I have to wait to play Yakuzo 0 :)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
All the soul bound weapons give you credit for any weapon focus you have, right?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Power Bottom posted:

I honestly have never considered running a melee/fighty Rogue just because I've had so much success with Arbalest/Blunderbuss shenanigans. I think I'll give the Devil another try with that setup and see what's what.

As for Rogue being a weak class: I might have just come in too late to experience the earlier weak Rogues, but I've never regretted bringing a Rogue along (even in POTD/Trial of Iron).

I've done melee rogues you just hold them back and send them into the fight later alternatively, give them Tall Grass or some other weapon with knockdown/stun.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

All the soul bound weapons give you credit for any weapon focus you have, right?

Yeah and I'm pretty sure the priest talent with the favored weapons works for them too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Any tips on trying white March early, like level six, PotD? I've tried it before and had a really rough time with that first fight.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

IIRC you get a bonus if you have a weapon focus talent, regardless of whether it fits the weapon. This was done to make sure the talents wouldn't feel wasted after finding a weapon that didn't fit them or something along those lines, there's probably a bunch of explanations from rope kid earlier in the thread.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Any tips on trying white March early, like level six, PotD? I've tried it before and had a really rough time with that first fight.

The ogres are weak to attacks targetting Will and Reflex. Mind control spells are especially nice because they lose a character while you gain a fairly powerful ally, so bring along a Cipher, Wizard, the Terra Arcanum headgear, or some Scrolls of Confusion. Prone resistance is nice to have against the wolves since they will try to knock down your characters all the time. Lastly, try to aggro as few enemies at a time as possible. It's very easy to get overwhelmed if you just run through the area.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

more factions woooo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/823954273700552705

And "PST" to go with the picture, eh?

We have 26, 10, and PST now, so I'm guessing that means the announcement will be Thursday at 10 PST?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Someone managed to get The Ultimate achievement with a Wizard. Quite an accomplishment. That means Paladin, Chanter, Ranger, and Wizard are all capable of pulling it off.

Still hoping for someone to do it with a Rogue. :v:

cooshee
Feb 26, 2015
With Eric Fenstermaker (though iirc he left late last year so possibly already did some amount of work on the game) and MCA gone, I wonder who the Narrative Leads and writers will be in PoE2. I guess, generally that sort of info doesn't get revealed unless it's a kickstarter (because very few people actually care) before you see it in the credits, but I'm curious none the less

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

cooshee posted:

With Eric Fenstermaker (though iirc he left late last year so possibly already did some amount of work on the game) and MCA gone, I wonder who the Narrative Leads and writers will be in PoE2. I guess, generally that sort of info doesn't get revealed unless it's a kickstarter (because very few people actually care) before you see it in the credits, but I'm curious none the less

I imagine we'll find out on the Fig on Thursday.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/823954273700552705

And "PST" to go with the picture, eh?

We have 26, 10, and PST now, so I'm guessing that means the announcement will be Thursday at 10 PST?

Clearly it means PoE2's release date is in 2 days at 10 PST. Pretty cool! ;)

(Everyone watch The Road To Eternity, the PoE team are really cool people and I feel good giving them money, which isn't something I can say about many video game companies)

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

cooshee posted:

My guess would be Carrie Patel.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Pargrunen Dwarves maybe? Or remnants of Old Valia, I guess that makes more sense.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Sounds like it's a faction conflict between Vailians, Rautai, Deadfire locals, and dwarf colonists over the land.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

More games should play like Yojimbo, so I'm all for this development.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

precision posted:

Clearly it means PoE2's release announcement/crowd funding campaign start date is in 2 days at 10 PST. Pretty cool! ;)

Fixed.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Fingers crossed they'll have a way to screw over all the factions. Doesn't have to be Yes Man, can even lead to the worst ending, I just want to be able to say "now nobody's allowed to have the mcguffin"

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Fingers crossed they'll have a way to screw over all the factions. Doesn't have to be Yes Man, can even lead to the worst ending, I just want to be able to say "now nobody's allowed to have the mcguffin"

Brother this is an Obsidian game. You know drat well you'll be able to gently caress over all of these people.

e: Looks like Pallegina, Aloth, and Eder are still with the Watcher. Makes sense, being the core party + ropekids character. Surprised no Durance though. Unless Obsidian is saving Durance's quote for last ( which uh. Would make some sense. ).

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 25, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I would love Durance to come back, but it might be a bit weird to have Durance without Avellone writing him. I don't know whether ropekid et al would want to do that.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
IIRC Avellone said that he only did something like 30% of the initial writing for Durance and all the rest of it was done by others.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

I would love Durance to come back, but it might be a bit weird to have Durance without Avellone writing him. I don't know whether ropekid et al would want to do that.

Yeah, it's this weird space where if we pull from BG1 > 2, you want the core party to make the transition over, followed by dozens of new people to meet/party with. So Eder = Minsc, Aloth = Jaheria, Pallegina = Imoen I guess? But in my mind Durance is more the canonical "third" to the core party then Pallegina.

But then yeah, gotta pull from the real world. Pallegina is ropekids character, he can write her into 2 ( and being frank, she's a great character ). Durance is Avellones, and he's not working on this game presumably.

I'm really hoping Hiravias and Sagani function as the Edwin/Viconia analogues of "hey, we are here too, just later in the game!".

Wonder if we'll see Devil/Maneha. Maneha would fit the setting at least, but both only got a little airtime well after the core game launched.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

As long as Grieving Mother doesn't come back. I just don't understand the love for her. According to the (entirely scientific) poll on Obsidian's front page, she's the second most popular character, but there's really nothing too her. She doesn't interact with the world at all. I always just recruit her to immediately throw her into the Skaen pit.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

She was one my favorites in the sense that Ciphers Are Really loving Good In This Game

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fair. Mass mind control is pretty hard to argue with.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

What about my bro Kana?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I was talking party composition with a buddy of mine and I have a question: am I the only one who's never even let Aloth into the party? Like, I'm sure he's great and all because Wizard, but his establishing character moment is deliberately provoking three people and killing them (while also possibly pulling you into the fray as well) which has never sat well with me. In later playthroughs I just straight-up killed him because of what you learn about him during the ending, so I can only imagine how PoE2 will handle that if he makes a return.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He's not deliberately provoking them, his alternate personality just doesn't know when to shut up. And you can talk them down with a skill check.

Rookersh posted:

But then yeah, gotta pull from the real world. Pallegina is ropekids character, he can write her into 2 ( and being frank, she's a great character ). Durance is Avellones, and he's not working on this game presumably.
Avellone's actually made a point of saying he was asked to work on the game and refused. Nearly two years after leaving his wounds still burn...

Anyway, they can keep Durance and have someone else write him. He'd seem recognisably different but then that could be explained away by the revelations of PoE1 changing his outlook on life or whatever. He's a cool enough character that I hope he makes an appearance in some capacity.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Durance should only appear briefly and get dunked on, because the only good thing about both him and GM in PoE1 is how hard the game constantly dunks on both of them. They are both miserable and terrible NPCs.

As far as NPCs to make a return, it sorta comes down to what makes the most sense. Eder showing up because of an Eothas connection (and because he's the Watcher's #1 fr life) makes sense - mostly, and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't show, because it's kinda thin, but I hope he does show. Pallegina getting entangled because of Valian Bullshit makes complete sense. Aloth coming in because the Leaden Key is involved makes complete sense. Kana is both connected to Rauatai (isn't he connected to the leader by family in some way?) and because, well, he's Kana, and heard there was Some poo poo To Learn About. Hiravias is thin; he could just sorta "be in the area" if he continued to travel. But there really isn't a reason for the others to show up. Durance could show up in order to Murder All The Gods I guess? Maneha has a connection to Rauatai but I personally got the ending where she retired. Likewise with Zahua. Sagani has no reason at all being there (and frankly one reason I loved her character was because she had such a hardline "when this is done I am OUT" for great reasons). Grieving Mother is either dead in the Skaen pit (because the actual reaction to it is hilarious) or vaguely off being a midwife again.

Power Bottom posted:

I was talking party composition with a buddy of mine and I have a question: am I the only one who's never even let Aloth into the party? Like, I'm sure he's great and all because Wizard, but his establishing character moment is deliberately provoking three people and killing them (while also possibly pulling you into the fray as well) which has never sat well with me. In later playthroughs I just straight-up killed him because of what you learn about him during the ending, so I can only imagine how PoE2 will handle that if he makes a return.

You are actually insane because it's immediately apparent that the villagers want to murder him and will indeed try to murder you if you even so much as try talking to them, and were probably giving Aloth poo poo to begin with given how everything else in that miserable shithole of a town is.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

2house2fly posted:

He's not deliberately provoking them, his alternate personality just doesn't know when to shut up. And you can talk them down with a skill check.

I guess I'm just really bad at that part because I've never been able to talk them down. What option leads to that?

Also I never knew that Aloth had an alternate personality - literally the only things I've ever known about him are that part and the ending you get for not completing his personal quest (he's a former member of the Key and decided to pick up where Thaos left off, possibly restarting the entire Hollowborn Conflict). The alternate personality thing makes me regret murdering him those times somewhat, but I'm still not likely to ever use him in my party. Old habits die hard.

ProfessorCirno posted:

You are actually insane because it's immediately apparent that the villagers want to murder him and will indeed try to murder you if you even so much as try talking to them, and were probably giving Aloth poo poo to begin with given how everything else in that miserable shithole of a town is.

The vibe that I got was that Gilded Vale was unfriendly to newcomers, but not openly hostile. The PC is reasonably well-received, even if they straight up admit to committing what equates to a felony - if you say you were stumbling around in some ruins, the welcoming committee gets tense, but just tells you to never do that poo poo again and then drops the subject.

By contrast, Aloth has managed to piss off three people to the point of physical confrontation and (once you show up) tells one of them to go gently caress their sister. After you bail him out (or he kills three people while you watch/help), it turns out the dude is a Wizard and has the Gentry background, implying that he's reasonably smart/powerful and grew up with a silver spoon in hand. All of these factors together gave me the impression that he's a massive loving chode who picks fights with people weaker/"lesser" than him because either A) he knows he can get away with it due to Wizard or B) he's been doing it his whole life because Gentry. The aforementioned ending that I got for recruiting him and then never doing anything with him more or less confirmed my misguided suspicions, because what kind of person would go off and do that if they weren't a complete rear end in a top hat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Power Bottom posted:

I guess I'm just really bad at that part because I've never been able to talk them down. What option leads to that?

The Intelligence 14 check has you pointing out that he's deliberately baiting them into a fight, meaning that he's confident he'll easily win. They back down and run off after that.

• Locked thread