Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I tipped at random since I know very little about what to expect but footy tipping :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
My niece got the first ever signed #3 collingwood women's jumper :3:

We are old family friends since I went to primary school with Penny Cula-Reid and her brothers. She's amazing, deserves the chance to play at AFL level as much as anyone. She was one of three girls who sued the MSJFL for not
letting them continue playing juniors because they were female.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

My niece got the first ever signed #3 collingwood women's jumper :3:

We are old family friends since I went to primary school with Penny Cula-Reid and her brothers. She's amazing, deserves the chance to play at AFL level as much as anyone. She was one of three girls who sued the MSJFL for not
letting them continue playing juniors because they were female.

This is cool and good. Make sure your niece gets to lots of games and barracks really loudly.

Speaking of cool and good; check out Freo's new training facilities https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/first-look-at-the-dockers-new-cockburn-facility-ng-b88366567z

How long until a player gets stuck in or injured going down one of the waterslides?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

This is cool and good. Make sure your niece gets to lots of games and barracks really loudly.

Speaking of cool and good; check out Freo's new training facilities https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/first-look-at-the-dockers-new-cockburn-facility-ng-b88366567z

How long until a player gets stuck in or injured going down one of the waterslides?

That is pretty impressive actually and that field is absolutely massive.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Periphery posted:

I dunno but you just know Cow Dude is gonna be all over that poo poo.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-26/ruck-academy-planned-for-overlooked-big-men posted:

THE AFL has begun planning for a 'ruck academy' for taller prospects who have been overlooked by clubs at the draft.

In a bid to push more ruck options through the system, the League informed clubs this week of its plans to build an AFL national academy ruck program.

Although still in the planning phase, the program will identify a group of 19-year-old ruckmen who were not taken by clubs at last year's national and rookie draft.

South Australian Jordan Sweet, Northern Territory's Tony Olango and West Australian Jeremy Goddard were three ruckmen in last year's national academy to not find a place on an AFL list last season.

The League will engage the national academy coaches for additional ruck craft sessions as well as more placements at AFL clubs for members of the ruck academy.

Clubs have shown a reluctance in recent years to use early draft picks on ruckmen, with talented West Australian big man Tim English slipping to the Bulldogs' pick No.19 last year.

However, in the rookie draft the following week, seven of the first-round picks were used on ruckmen.

Ruckmen have also become highly sought after during the trade and free agency periods as clubs look to cash in on big men who have developed elsewhere.

The AFL's talent update to clubs also included a new element of its next generation academy system, with five clubs now able to access eligible multicultural talent from Darwin.

The city's multicultural and indigenous talent was originally not allocated to any club due to its history of producing AFL players.

But from 2017 the five existing clubs with next generation academy zones in the Northern Territory (Essendon, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Geelong and Melbourne) will be able to nominate multicultural players residing in Darwin.

A new ruck academy sounds like a good thing.

The bolded seems like a big change to the new multicultural/indigenous academy zones. It sounds like a big bonus for those 5 clubs. While I don't think it'll have a massive impact any time soon (iirc the academies only give priority to clubs if the player isn't picked in the national or rookie draft), I do worry about the potential for scope creep with these academies. If these academies eventually get clubs priority in the national draft then this change would be pretty significant.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

"Hey, lets basically bring back zoning!" - supporters of clubs who all benefited immensely from zoning.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/2017/their-own-league/

A really excellent long-form piece focusing on the last six months or so of the Dogs women's team.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Good to see Basil Zempilas is a loving moron with all sports, not just footy.

Apparently the number 23 was made famous by Michael Jackson.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Solemn Sloth posted:

Good to see Basil Zempilas is a loving moron with all sports, not just footy.

Apparently the number 23 was made famous by Michael Jackson.

at least he corrected himself 20 minutes later

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2017-st-kilda-mystery-training-session-using-zones-20170130-gu1me1.html

This seems to have slipped under the radar. gently caress you AFL, NO ONE wants zones in our game.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Going to the footy on Sunday :toot:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm planning to go down to Thebarton Oval on Saturday to see the Crows first game

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Going to the footy on Friday night at Princes Park :getin:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2017-st-kilda-mystery-training-session-using-zones-20170130-gu1me1.html

This seems to have slipped under the radar. gently caress you AFL, NO ONE wants zones in our game.

I can just imagine the poo poo show of having to wait for players to get back in their zone or paying frees for players out of zone. Zones can gently caress off.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

I'm planning to go down to Thebarton Oval on Saturday to see the Crows first game

My friends are going but I've got a wedding :argh:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

What's the deal with TV coverage for the womens games?

I know the Carlton/Collingwood game is on Free TV, but will teh other ones be covered?

I am considering heading into the city on the weekend to watch a game, but if it will be too hard to find, then it's not worth it.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

drunkill posted:

Going to the footy on Friday night at Princes Park :getin:

:hfive: this'll be my first time at Princes Park

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BrigadierSensible posted:

I know the Carlton/Collingwood game is on Free TV, but will teh other ones be covered?

I am considering heading into the city on the weekend to watch a game, but if it will be too hard to find, then it's not worth it.

The email I got from the Dees says our game will be on Foxtel

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
loving champion data. I preorderd the Prospectus with them saying preorders would get it mid January and newsagents would get it Feb 2. Turns out they were full of poo poo because it's currently in newsagents and I'm still waiting for it to be delivered. It's not like I paid extra for delivery or anything. OH WAIT. A bunch of other people are also having the same issue so it doesn't seem like this is just me being unlucky.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

BrigadierSensible posted:

As far as I can find, these are the FTA games on 7:

Friday Feb 3 - Collingwood v Carlton
Saturday Feb 4 - Bulldogs v Fremantle
Saturday Feb 11 - Collingwood v Melbourne
Saturday Feb 18 - Bulldogs v Melbourne
Saturday Feb 25 - Bulldogs v Collingwood
Saturday March 4 - Crows v Lions
Saturday March 11 - Crows v Melbourne
Saturday March 18 - Giants v Bulldogs
Saturday March 25 - Grand Final

Fremantle, Lions, Carlton and Giants all only get one FTA game each. All games are on Fox too.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
http://www.afl.com.au/womens/matches/broadcastguide

In addition:
7mate Perth only: Sun Feb 12 - Fremantle v Brisbane
7mate Perth only: Sat Feb 18 - Fremantle v GSW
Ch7 Adelaide only: Sun Feb 19 - Adelaide v Carlton
Ch7 Adelaide/7mate Perth only: Sun Feb 26 - Fremantle v Adelaide
7mate Perth only: Sat Mar 4 - Fremantle v Collingwood
7mate Perth only: Fri Mar 10 - Fremantle v Carlton
7mate Perth only: Sat Mar 18 - Melbourne v Fremantle
Ch7 Adelaide only: Sun Mar 19 - Collingwood v Adelaide

So Fremantle and Adelaide get a better deal vs the other 6 clubs, especially since those games are mostly home games too. Fremantle have every game on Free to Air at least in WA/Perth and Adelaide have 6 of their 7 games on FTA in SA/Adelaide. No doubt the Grandfinal will be on FTA too given it will be played within Round 1 of the Men's comp.

Hopefully the AFL streams some of the games like they did the Melbourne v Footscray ones last year but with Foxtel on board I doubt it...

e:
Adelaide: 6 games broadcast FTA - 2 national, 3 Adelaide only, 1 Adelaide & Perth
Brisbane: 2 games broadcast FTA - 1 national, 1 Adelaide only
Carlton: 3 games broadcast FTA - 1 national, 1 Adelaide only, 1 Perth only
Collingwood: 5 games broadcast FTA - 3 national, 1 Adelaide only, 1 Perth only
Fremantle: 7 games broadcast FTA - 1 national, 5 Perth only, 1 Adelaide & Perth
GWS: 2 games broadcast FTA - 1 national, 1 Perth only
Melbourne: 4 games broadcast FTA - 3 national, 1 Perth only
Footscray: 5 games broadcast FTA - 4 national, 1 Adelaide only

*Note: National & Adelaide only broadcast live on Channel 7, Perth only games broadcast live on 7mate.
**Broadcast live in Adelaide on Ch7, broadcast live in Perth on 7mate simultaniously.
Additionally, all games will be broadcast live nationally on Foxtel.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 31, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://twitter.com/Adelaide_FC/status/826394245686661120

With the co-captains; he's a good guy to have around the club. Also I think Randall is enjoying the professional gym and fitness staff, she's all kinds of ripped right now.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 31, 2017

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hells yeah, glad they did a women's indigenous guernsey.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Okay, clarification from the AFL:
"All NAB AFL Women's competition matches will be streamed live on AFL.com.au and on the AFL Live Official App."

Also, the season launch was today, the premiership cup:
https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/826586389063950336
Team colours
https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/826538954107154432
And the pre-season game at Arden St is sold out, don't bother going you will be turned away.

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/826610630597566464

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I hope the north supporter got their ticket in time :ohdear:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

So I asked this last year but was too late to try it out during NAB cup or whatever the wizard homeloan cup is called now (and I guess the women's league if that's free streaming of all games?)

But say I wanted to watch more games streaming. Can I buy a google chromecast and then use an AFL.com subscription service to watch it on TV? And then if that works I can just use a VPN to buy a league pass thingy and can stream games when they aren't FTA? And if I did that, do you just need the VPN to purchase the pass or do you need to use the VPN every time you want to watch?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

It's Boomer, out for revenge.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

thepokey posted:

So I asked this last year but was too late to try it out during NAB cup or whatever the wizard homeloan cup is called now (and I guess the women's league if that's free streaming of all games?)

But say I wanted to watch more games streaming. Can I buy a google chromecast and then use an AFL.com subscription service to watch it on TV? And then if that works I can just use a VPN to buy a league pass thingy and can stream games when they aren't FTA? And if I did that, do you just need the VPN to purchase the pass or do you need to use the VPN every time you want to watch?

Chrome casting from your PC/laptop or a mobile device?

If you're doing from a mobile device, no VPN necessary, I've never tried it but apparently the resolution and stuff isn't particularly great.

If you're doing it from a PC you need a VPN every time you're streaming, not just when you're registering. If you try to watch without some sort of masking service the stream won't load.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
So, what is this chromecast dealy? Is it for your mobile? Because it's dead easy to whack an hdmi cable into the back of a laptop and output the image to your telly

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hiddenmovement posted:

So, what is this chromecast dealy? Is it for your mobile? Because it's dead easy to whack an hdmi cable into the back of a laptop and output the image to your telly

Yeah I strongly support hdmi over chromecast, you don't have to worry about a whole lot of wank with your wireless signal

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Can we tip the women's comp in Tipsquad, I'm noticing that I can do it outside the squad but not in it when I select AFL Women's?

edit: carn the blues!

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 1, 2017

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Solemn Sloth posted:

It's Hawthorn's only preseason game in Melbourne and basically none of our supporters can go. Utter bullshit.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't even think of that. I watch stuff that way from my Surface on TV all the time and for some reason it didn't dawn on me to do otherwise. I imagine the lag/delay would be a lot less this way too. Will give it a shot during the women's league/nab cup

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Keep in mind that the international streaming service also runs like dog poo poo a lot of the time.

In the year of our ablett 2017, we still have no decent streaming service for our multi billion dollar game.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nutsngum posted:

Keep in mind that the international streaming service also runs like dog poo poo a lot of the time.

In the year of our ablett 2017, we still have no decent streaming service for our multi billion dollar game.

it ain't too bad.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Volkerball posted:

it ain't too bad.

I get drop outs and buffering issues pretty regularly, even on replay matches. I have zero issue streaming any other sites, even through a VPN/proxy DNS but afl international stream is just really sub par.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
the live pass is good and works with Chromecast but you have to mirror your screen, it doesn't have cast functionality built in. there is like a quarter of a second of input lag

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
The international stream has always been good for me, but I'm on 100mbit.

And you don't need a VPN, just a DNS proxy such as http://www.getflix.com.au/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The good thing with something like getflix is that it lets you define which services you want to spoof your location for, so you can have it work for watchafl but not have to manually turn it off when you want to watch Netflix because they do their spoof blocking thing.

• Locked thread