Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's a perception check (I think) to the effect of "you don't wanna mess with that guy he's packing a wand and he's ready to use it" (the implication I always got being that he doesn't wan tto fight them but he'll defend himself if it comes to that rather than deliberately baiting them)
The alternate personality is why he tells a guy to go gently caress his sister in a noticeably different accent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Vermain posted:

The Intelligence 14 check has you pointing out that he's deliberately baiting them into a fight, meaning that he's confident he'll easily win. They back down and run off after that.

That explains a lot. I've never run a PC with an Intelligence higher than 10. :eng99:

2house2fly posted:

The alternate personality is why he tells a guy to go gently caress his sister in a noticeably different accent

The impression I got was that he was supposed to be speaking in a different language (and FWIW that's what he tries to pass it off as). The more you learn, I guess.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Power Bottom posted:

That explains a lot. I've never run a PC with an Intelligence higher than 10. :eng99:

The impression I got was that he was supposed to be speaking in a different language (and FWIW that's what he tries to pass it off as). The more you learn, I guess.

He also sexually harasses various party members in that accent then speaks normally trying to cover it up. How most of the party seems to like his past life better than Aloth is pretty funny.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The alternative personality seems to come out mostly when Aloth is threatened or stressed so its easy to assume the mob started by harassing him.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
:laffo: wait so you've hated this character so hard that you immediately kill them on sight, but you a) never got to actually understand what was even happening in that scene, and way more hilariously, b) never checked to see if that spoiler was correct

Because my friend.

That's not his ending.

~*~

Also every time I try to diffuse the crowd I use one of the dispositions and that just makes them declare we're obviously allies and then they try to kill us both.

And...

"The vibe that I got was that Gilded Vale was unfriendly to newcomers, but not openly hostile."

Play a female character and they literally greet you by asking if you've given birth to a Hollowborn while glancing meaningfully at their Lynchin' Tree. Gilded Vale isn't just openly hostile to the newcomers they themselves invited, they are close to robbing and starving each other outright(see: grain miller questline).

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

That's just that one Raedric lackey who's really an rear end in a top hat, no one else gives a gently caress

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'm not an aloth fan, but it's hilarious how wrong that interpretation is

2house2fly posted:

He's not deliberately provoking them, his alternate personality just doesn't know when to shut up. And you can talk them down with a skill check.

Avellone's actually made a point of saying he was asked to work on the game and refused. Nearly two years after leaving his wounds still burn...

what's the story here?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I hate that grain miller quest. I thought it was gonna be like one of those someone always gets hosed quests but everyone just walks away okay with whatever you do.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Play a female character and they literally greet you by asking if you've given birth to a Hollowborn while glancing meaningfully at their Lynchin' Tree.

they actually do that if your a dude too. just ask if you have ever sired a hollowborn.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Rascyc posted:

I hate that grain miller quest. I thought it was gonna be like one of those someone always gets hosed quests but everyone just walks away okay with whatever you do.

If you kill the dwarf I'm pretty sure he's not very okay afterwards.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ProfessorCirno posted:

:laffo: wait so you've hated this character so hard that you immediately kill them on sight, but you a) never got to actually understand what was even happening in that scene, and way more hilariously, b) never checked to see if that spoiler was correct

Because my friend.

That's not his ending.

In fairness, while he can't restart the Hollowborn crisis, he does have an ending where he takes over from Thaos as grandmaster of the Leaden Key, so Power Bottom was only half wrong in their Aloth killing rage.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Countdown on the Obsidian page, btw.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

If my GMT conversions are right, isn't that countdown set to end at 1:00AM PST tomorrow? That seems wrong.

E: Unless they've hosed up and it takes the time to the correct time in your local time, rather than absolute time to the time in PST. If that makes any sense at all.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
My guess is that they base the script off local time rather than PST, because the timer unlocks at 10AM my time.

EDIT: Yeah, just checked. There's no countdown if I change my timezone.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 25, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

AriadneThread posted:

what's the story here?

Creative differences? I don't think anyone really knows that doesn't work at Obsidian and I doubt Ropekid is gonna air his dirty laundry in here any time soon for obvious reasons.

I believe there was a rumor about Avellone writing a bunch of content for Pillars that had to get pared down by the other writers so perhaps he ended up being irritated about that and left due to feeling unwanted but who the hell knows and take this with a grain of salt.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

The Intelligence 14 check has you pointing out that he's deliberately baiting them into a fight, meaning that he's confident he'll easily win. They back down and run off after that.

Holy poo poo, I've never tried that, even though every character I've played so far has been able to do that check. Welp.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Power Bottom posted:

Also I never knew that Aloth had an alternate personality

Hahaha wow dude

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

precision posted:

Hahaha wow dude

To be fair, you don't get to see much of his alternate personality anyways. It's pretty rare when it comes up. He's a permanent member of my party because Wizards are amazing (even when people thought they weren't), and I swear there's maybe a handful of interactions for the whole game.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

User0015 posted:

To be fair, you don't get to see much of his alternate personality anyways. It's pretty rare when it comes up. He's a permanent member of my party because Wizards are amazing (even when people thought they weren't), and I swear there's maybe a handful of interactions for the whole game.

I cannot believe there was ever a time when people thought wizards weren't insane. When the game first released there was not a single enemy in the game that was immune to slicken, and you could eventually cast it 4 times per encounter. Like, i know that release ciphers were also really good but that stuff was just nuts.

That said this playthrough I'm actually not using aloth because i wanted to try out some of the other members and i'm surprised how little i'm missing him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

User0015 posted:

Huh? His split personality comes up all the time, like 24/7 if you have him in the party. Other party members rib him constantly over it, and there's tons of content where it comes up. It'd be impossible to miss it if you had him in your party for any length of time.

And yeah wizards are ridiculous. Slicken is still godly, as is Ninagauth's Shadow Flame. Whenever I don't exactly know what I want to cast I end up just spamming those.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Petrify is also incredibly broken as an affliction and Aloth can throw that all over the place too.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Furism posted:

If you kill the dwarf I'm pretty sure he's not very okay afterwards.

You also lose a large chunk of how well you're liked. Which combined with murdering backer NPCs can easily turn the town against you.

Has anyone done a murder everyone run?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ginette Reno posted:

Huh? His split personality comes up all the time, like 24/7 if you have him in the party. Other party members rib him constantly over it, and there's tons of content where it comes up. It'd be impossible to miss it if you had him in your party for any length of time.

And yeah wizards are ridiculous. Slicken is still godly, as is Ninagauth's Shadow Flame. Whenever I don't exactly know what I want to cast I end up just spamming those.
But I think there's a point that the party members get to party with her all the time given some of the conversations so the player could end up jealous that its all happening off camera.

But in a fit of absolute pitch perfect storytelling through game mechanics, it being her occasionally when giving or receiving crits is absolutely inspired. I think the chance might modify based on your attitude about embracing or repressing her too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Aloth is a permanent party member for me if I'm not playing a Wizard myself. Wizards are just too good to pass up, even more so than a Cipher. Durance is also a permanent member, but only because I don't want to play a Priest myself and I'm not a huge fan of relying on scrolls to protect me from status effects.

Regarding PoE2: I hope Paladins are cool in PoE2. I want to play a Darcozzi Paladini pretty badly, but the only time I've tried to do that, I got frustrated early on from the lack of offensive options and just made a Cipher instead. I know Paladins are awesome in PoE, but I guess I need a little more instant gratification when it's my main character.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 25, 2017

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, Aloth is a permanent party member for me if I'm not playing a Wizard myself. Wizards are just too good to pass up, even more so than a Cipher. Durance is also a permanent member, but only because I don't want to play a Priest myself and I'm not a huge fan of relying on scrolls to protect me from status effects.

Regarding PoE2: I hope Paladins are cool in PoE2. I want to play a Darcozzi Paladini pretty badly, but the only time I've tried to do that, I got frustrated early on from the lack of offensive options and just made a Cipher instead. I know Paladins are awesome in PoE, but I guess I need a little more instant gratification when it's my main character.

My paladin run was a death godlike kind wayfarer, with strange mercy and bloody slaughter he did a lot of healing but he wasn't that exciting to play as. I hope Pallegina's ranged fire attack is available to paladins in pillars 2.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

what's the story here?
Anyone who knows isn't talking. Which is probably for the best. No reason to air the dirty laundry. But given that Avellone threw some poo poo at Obsidian (and at the management in particular) in interviews, on twitter, etc, it's probably save to say it wasn't an amicable split.

Personally I still like the theory that Urquhart asked Avellone when he was going to finish that Arcanum LP and Avellone then just walked out of the building while muttering something about wolves.

CottonWolf posted:

As long as Grieving Mother doesn't come back. I just don't understand the love for her.
Hey, Ropekid. Can you make whoever you sacrifice to the Blood Pool come back as an overpowered, vengeful ghost in PoE2? Thanks.

Grieving Mother is my favorite companion because I like her story and how it's tied to the main plot. Her not really interacting with the world was a bit annoying, but I was already running with a bunch of adventurers because I didn't care for most of the other companions so really it didn't bother me all that much.
Mind you, of all the companions I only really used GM, Pallegina and Devil. None of the others really drew in the "I like your class enough to want you in my party and I want to see where your story goes" kind of way.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Christ there are so many armor and weapons choices now

What's the best armor to durganize ? I'm thinking maybe angios gambeson . . .

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Anything unique that you like. Also durganized tall grass on a barbarian is good clean fun the whole family can enjoy!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Devil of Caroc's torso should be the first if you use her.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
New teaser quote is cool, I like ""Come then, Watcher, and watch" a lot as a line. Hopefully it's from some kind of climactic showdown scene with the villain.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Aloth was a bad character in general, I'm annoyed he of all people gets to come back. His Leaden Key poo poo AND his split personality poo poo goes nowhere. Really all of Carrie Patel's characters are poo poo, she's not good at writing interesting companions.

Anyways, that's Eothas's mark, right? One big star and three smaller stars to represent his sub-aspects?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

2house2fly posted:

New teaser quote is cool, I like ""Come then, Watcher, and watch" a lot as a line. Hopefully it's from some kind of climactic showdown scene with the villain.

The symbol is Eothas', so considering what Eder's quote said. I guess we'll be putting down the god of redemption for good.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

SunAndSpring posted:

Aloth was a bad character in general, I'm annoyed he of all people gets to come back. His Leaden Key poo poo AND his split personality poo poo goes nowhere. Really all of Carrie Patel's characters are poo poo, she's not good at writing interesting companions.

Anyways, that's Eothas's mark, right? One big star and three smaller stars to represent his sub-aspects?

Sagani is great.

Aloth is a bit of a wet blanket though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So what impact do you guys think the orlan baby's going to have on import? :v:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Zore posted:

So what impact do you guys think the orlan baby's going to have on import? :v:

I'm definitely going to set them up as a prophesied leader of one of the factions. I believe in ropekid to provide this option.

Also, interesting they reference Hel. I've been replaying, and just once Pallegina references it while cursing and I thought "that's weird", then it never gets mentioned again. Is it just the soul waiting room before reincarnation?

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 25, 2017

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

2house2fly posted:

"Fires of Hel" makes me wonder about what sort of afterlife there is between reincarnating.

E: ^^What CottonWolf said^^

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I think Aloth is alright and the problem is mostly that the VA is over the top. But being raised in an aristocratic house (even as a servant family) I can see how it makes sense for him to sound annoying. I really dislike his alt personality voice though.

CottonWolf posted:

In fairness, while he can't restart the Hollowborn crisis, he does have an ending where he takes over from Thaos as grandmaster of the Leaden Key, so Power Bottom was only half wrong in their Aloth killing rage.

One way to look at it if you agree that people need to believe in something greater (Gods) is that Thaos wasn't wrong to try and keep the farce going. The problem was the means by which he did it. Aloth says iirc that he'll keep the Leaden Key running to preserve the illusion/secret but not being an rear end in a top hat about it.

Now of course after a few turns in the Wheel he'll become crazy like Thaos.

Furism fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 25, 2017

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

People use the term Hel in two ways: 1) another way to refer to the Beyond, the place where souls go between incarnations or 2) the depths of the world, where people assume adra pillars originate. In most Eoran minds, these are the same place, the former being metaphysical/spiritual, the latter being the physical.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Aloth was my second-favorite companion after Eder. If there had been a way in the initial encounter with him to "lock" him into his alternate personality, she'd be the best character in the game period.

Though I haven't really played much with the White March companions so I dunno where they fall in the ranks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Zahua's great. He quest is just a giant mushroom trip.

rope kid posted:

People use the term Hel in two ways: 1) another way to refer to the Beyond, the place where souls go between incarnations or 2) the depths of the world, where people assume adra pillars originate. In most Eoran minds, these are the same place, the former being metaphysical/spiritual, the latter being the physical.

Is it imagined as being a positive or negative place? Since people reference it while cursing, I guess the latter? It sounds more neutral than I imagined with a name like Hel. It's pretty evocative of fire and brimstone. Though I'll admit I don't know what the Norse Hel was like.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 25, 2017

• Locked thread