Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's only a matter of time. Harvey is gonna be Final Destination'd no matter what you do.

Having a punch-fight with Harvey Dent without the two-face aesthetic is just lame, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like the story really poo poo the bed about halfway through and never really recovered.

Also it's loving weird that you can prevent Harvey from becoming Two-Face buy he still becomes pretty much just as crazy and dangerous. I mean yeah, that's probably what would happen but it's really off.

I actually liked this, I thought it was a cool way to show that Harvey's problems are internal and that even if Batman had saved him from the scarring, something was bound to snap sooner or later.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Android Blues posted:

I actually liked this, I thought it was a cool way to show that Harvey's problems are internal and that even if Batman had saved him from the scarring, something was bound to snap sooner or later.

Me too for the same reasons.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Thanks to this thread I remembered they released Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Ultimate Alliance 2 on next gen consoles. This made me really happy.

I just went and looked at some reviews for the update and now I'm really sad. Broken online co-op, broken achievements, zero actual updating of the games, priced at brand new game prices.

Thanks thread, you really ruined my day.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Android Blues posted:

Didn't TDKR already do that? Why retread something like that in a series that prides itself on choices mattering?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Well, practically speaking, it's because they can't budget for enough content to actually fork the narrative and have Harvey be the player's ally in one decision path and their enemy in the other. Or, at least, they did not design the story such that they could do this. Your choice does matter in that if you don't save Harvey from getting scarred, you get to see him break down in traditional Two Face style, whereas if you do, you get to see him become a paranoid wreck whose scars are mostly mental.

Also, there are a lot of other choices around Harvey that actually do branch more significantly. If you're consistently kind and understanding with him, and go to Wayne Tech instead of Wayne Manor at the end of episode 4, he tries to kill himself in the confrontation at the start of Episode 5 (and you can let him do it). If you're hostile and don't support him throughout the game, the Two Face personality is more dominant, and he tries to kill Bruce instead and has to be apprehended violently. Whether or not he's scarred actually ends up mattering less than how much you encourage him to rise above his illness.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That said, a lot of the rest of the stuff in that game is weak, chiefly the main antagonist and the Joker, whose appearance is just pure sequel bait (and also, why does no-one comment on his outlandish physical features given he's just supposed to be a normal inmate at Arkham?).

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Is it fun though? I enjoyed all the Walking Dead stuff and the Game of Thrones one.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's pretty fun. I enjoyed it. It's probably strongest in the middle, and the end tapers off a bit, but it's never really awful. If you liked Game of Thrones you'll probably enjoy this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Well, practically speaking, it's because they can't budget for enough content to actually fork the narrative and have Harvey be the player's ally in one decision path and their enemy in the other. Or, at least, they did not design the story such that they could do this. Your choice does matter in that if you don't save Harvey from getting scarred, you get to see him break down in traditional Two Face style, whereas if you do, you get to see him become a paranoid wreck whose scars are mostly mental.

I wish I knew I was even making that choice at the time. I just saved Harvey because Catwoman seemed like she'd be fine against some losers with guns. And she was, beside just the part where she's being chased down an alley, it hardly came up again.

Android Blues posted:

Also, there are a lot of other choices around Harvey that actually do branch more significantly. If you're consistently kind and understanding with him, and go to Wayne Tech instead of Wayne Manor at the end of episode 4, he tries to kill himself in the confrontation at the start of Episode 5 (and you can let him do it). If you're hostile and don't support him throughout the game, the Two Face personality is more dominant, and he tries to kill Bruce instead and has to be apprehended violently. Whether or not he's scarred actually ends up mattering less than how much you encourage him to rise above his illness.

I was super nice to him and he still tried to kill my butler. :mad:

Open Marriage Night posted:

Is it fun though? I enjoyed all the Walking Dead stuff and the Game of Thrones one.

I dunno, it lost me. I really didn't care about anything going on by the final episode.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Telltale Batman game is really good. I think it's probably the best series by them that I've played. It does some cool things with the lore, and the choices really do make a difference in how the games go.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I was super nice to him and he still tried to kill my butler. :mad:

Yeah, the bummer of this is that if you go and deal with Harvey first, fewer of your choices around him matter and the scene you get is more straightforward. Which makes no sense because someone who cared about Harvey more than the Penguin would obviously choose to go after Harvey first, but for some reason most of the stuff you do surrounding him only pays off if you save him for later. Poor scripting I think, even though it's impressive that they branched to the degree of having completely different scenes for if you tackle Penguin/Two Face first or second.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One more thing I was let down by, opening a non-cursed mental health hospital was my favorite thing about the first episode, so it sucks that that gets completely abandoned by the end. Your choices are giving the money to cops or to the really corrupt and inefficient existing hospital.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, I didn't get why they chose to switch that up. Like, both Arkham and the presumed Wayne Memorial Hospital (just rename it!) are sullied by the legacy of the Waynes, so why not build a new one instead of keeping the weird, clearly hugely dysfunctional place and spending more cash on it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Throwing money at corrupt institutions always fixes them. Just look at prisons!!!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, they did go out of their way not to demonise the staff at Arkham as opposed to what often gets used as the excuse. The doctor working with Bruce and the Joker seemed very professional, competent and actually smart enough to not just buy whatever bullshit she's fed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, they did go out of their way not to demonise the staff at Arkham as opposed to what often gets used as the excuse. The doctor working with Bruce and the Joker seemed very professional, competent and actually smart enough to not just buy whatever bullshit she's fed.

You mean the doctor who thinks Joker is a model patient?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also it's super weird that Bruce is treated as legitimately insane despite the fact that the entire city saw the Children of Arkham, who specifically hate Bruce Wayne, inject the mayoral candidates with crazy drugs last week.

Incidentally that episode is the best one. The scene where Mayor Hill is ranting about incinerating the poor while Harvey desperately struggles to keep his composure is fantastic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

You mean the doctor who thinks Joker is a model patient?

I'm willing to buy that the Joker is smart enough to hide his worst behaviour.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I'm willing to buy that the Joker is smart enough to hide his worst behaviour.

There's no evidence of Joker being smart in this game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Injustice's Facebook account announced something for the 17th.

Info dump probably, with a release date so soon.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, also we never find out why the Joker is in there or what he did but when you mention him to the cops Gordon is like "that guy? Oh no!", which implies he did something awful enough that a high ranking cop would remember this specific weirdo. Yet the Arkham staff seem to treat him like a model patient. Also, they seem totally cool with just calling him John Doe all the time. Who is this man from nowhere? Why is he so implausible?

In the same vein, it feels cheap that the Joker just knows everything, like he's aware of the leader of the Children of Arkham's identity and motivations (plausible) and also Batman's identity (less plausible because, honestly, how?). There's so little explanation of how a man with bleached skin and green hair is treated as a perfectly normal Arkham patient using an obviously fake name, is feared by the cops, and intuitively knows that Bruce Wayne is Batman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The injustice thing was a trailer, presumably for the story. I'm at work so I didn't watch it.

Trailer reveals Darkseid and Brainiac are in. Darkseid's the preorder bonus though so he's probably not part of the story.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u__P1BxsMI

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh, I just saw there's a character reveal countdown on the official website. Just under 21 days, so like 10am eastern on the 7th.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Based on that trailer, Bane's back, and Robin and Ivy are in as well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The website has 20 mystery boxes for characters. If it's not a placeholder, that means 15 more since the reveals from this trailer aren't included yet.

And there will be at least 9 DLC characters based on the premium editions. Preorder page mentions skins for Flash, Green Lantern and Supergirl that turn them into Reverse Flash, John Stewart and Power Girl with new voices and dialogue. So that's another way to bring in even more characters.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 17, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The injustice thing was a trailer, presumably for the story. I'm at work so I didn't watch it.

Trailer reveals Darkseid and Brainiac are in. Darkseid's the preorder bonus though so he's probably not part of the story.

He could be an unplayable final boss.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bullshit fighting game boss is basically Darkseid to a tee.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Bullshit fighting game boss is basically Darkseid to a tee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ECemImLHkM&t=252s

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU4QilQkH0U

Here's the Robin trailer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Is anyone's costume not terrible in this game?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Neatherrealm is doing the designs, so no.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

As Robin, there are three things I'm all about: straps. Buckles. And a cool exploding samurai sword.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Roth posted:

Neatherrealm is doing the designs, so no.

At least they had the common courtesy to provide some unlockable good costumes in the last game, like Red Son Superman and Regular Not Stupid Bane.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
It's just so weird to watch a sword slice a person a million times and there be no actual damage. It might as well just be a stick.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

redbackground posted:

It's just so weird to watch a sword slice a person a million times and there be no actual damage. It might as well just be a stick.

They're on Superman pills.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

That looks dumb.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I liked how Injustice's Nightwing could switch from the big Tim Drake staff to the Dick Grayson kali sticks, I suppose actually putting in a separate Robin character doesn't leave much for him to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

redbackground posted:

Would you rather have MKX rules where you could stab two daggers to the hilts into a person's eye sockets with no lasting negative effects?