Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Knack has surprisingly good reviews on the Amazon UK Store to the point I kind of doubt the haters now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Knack isn't a terrible game, but it definitely is a game that sends mixed messages. You would think that the game was a easy game for kids by just looking at it, but the game can be hard as gently caress in some places.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

Knack isn't a terrible game, but it definitely is a game that sends mixed messages. You would think that the game was a easy game for kids by just looking at it, but the game can be hard as gently caress in some places.

It's like the dark souls of games

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

im not angry i just dont get it at all. its like the dark sinister underside of dad jokes, but the dad has chained you to a bed and pops in every few hours saying he's got a KNACK for accommodations

I think you get it just fine.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My copy of Knackuza 0 just shipped :cool:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

My copy of Knackuza 0 just shipped :cool:

Love the username.

Lots of peeps jumping in to Yakuza now. That's good. Maybe the series can be profitable.

:bandwagon: I was into it before it was cool tho...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's easier than ever for niche games to find their audience nowadays and I'm glad of it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im just now starting Yakuza 5. I smartened up this time though and am going to play through on easy. Because every time I play on normal and every game has the same bullshit where the boss blocks like all your attacks and does this big rear end combo.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Wow I followed your advice and my TVs HDR doesn't work with the PS4 even tho the box says HDR >:-|

I don't know man, have you tried plugging the cables in the right order? You're probably missing some brilliant character development if you chose the blue one first.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I stopped playing Yakuza 5 a few months ago early into Saejima's storyline. He was my least favorite character to play as in 4 and is annoying to play as in 5 (not a fan of "heavy" characters in any game). The fact that they throw in a forced hunting mini-game with him was my breaking point. I just recently started it up again and am still on his part, but I feel like a great game is past him. Plus I just really want to finish 5 before starting 0.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For people who regularly buy games at or near release, how much do you estimate you spend a month and do you manage to play all those releases without building up a backlog? I'm trying to get a feel for the value of my Gamefly subscription in comparison. I've been sticking with it since it allows me to play releases around the time people are having conversations about them, and there's a kind of incentive to play more and thus get more value out of it, even thought it produces some surface-level weirdness like the fact I paid $75 to play Knack. Also I don't really ascribe any value to owning physical media. I suppose I could do the whole trade-in/eBay thing to bring the costs of buying down, but that's still extra effort

Having a full-time job, a backlog is inevitable. I've thought about game rental services but not sure if they are that cost effective for me as I wouldn't be able to get through more than about 1 game a month (it took me nearly 2 months to finish Dishonored 2, which isn't short, but is by no means a super-long game).
What I tend to do is buy a game new, then sell it on when I'm done. But I only buy a new game about once every 2 months, and I'm pretty selective about it when I do.

It means I can't play every game I'd like to when it gets released (I've only just started on The Witcher 3 last month), but that's life.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The trick is don't care about your backlog and only buy games once they reach 50% off or more.

Unless it's a game with multiplayer and/or you're gonna jump into it right now.

I still have the Witcher 3 and mgsv on my backlog but I paid less than half price for them. And I bought re7 but I'm very supportive of that series and I already played it for a hour yesterday in VR. And it'll be a decent game I can put half a hour in every night for a while and I'll eventually finish it. Then I got gravity rush 2 digital code discounted from a goon and that'll be my daily play.

In summary who the gently caress cares, play whatever you feel like and have fun. K know there's several of us that bought more than 5 games thanks to holiday sales and we're still playing Bf1 and tf2 the most.

Honestly I think of it as getting more choices not creating a bigger backlog.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 25, 2017

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

blackguy32 posted:

Im just now starting Yakuza 5. I smartened up this time though and am going to play through on easy. Because every time I play on normal and every game has the same bullshit where the boss blocks like all your attacks and does this big rear end combo.

You've chosen wisely, because Y5 is probably the worst in the series for that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ineffiable posted:

The trick is don't care about your backlog and only buy games once they reach 50% off or more.

Unless it's a game with multiplayer and/or you're gonna jump into it right now.

I still have the Witcher 3 and mgsv on my backlog but I paid less than half price for them. And I bought re7 but I'm very supportive of that series and I already played it for a hour yesterday in VR. And it'll be a decent game I can put half a hour in every night for a while and I'll eventually finish it. Then I got gravity rush 2 digital code discounted from a goon and that'll be my daily play.

In summary who the gently caress cares, play whatever you feel like and have fun. K know there's several of us that bought more than 5 games thanks to holiday sales and we're still playing Bf1 and tf2 the most.

Honestly I think of it as getting more choices not creating a bigger backlog.

Your system is objectively dumb and bad because you haven't played Witcher 3 yet. Glad you jumped in cheap to NOT play GOTY 2016 (Blood and Wine). Money well spent?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Actually, before Bloodborne was released, Knack was probably the closest thing to a Souls game on the PS4. It has deceptively punishing difficulty where a couple enemy hits will destroy you, uses melee-based combat that requires you to think about positioning and dodging all the time, and has some gameplay elements where your experience can be slightly affected by others who have played the game

Knack is still the closest thing to a Souls game on PS4 since I hear Bloodborne plays nothing like the Souls games at all

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RichterIX posted:

since I hear Bloodborne plays nothing like the Souls games at all

Whoever told you that was probably lying.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RichterIX posted:

Knack is still the closest thing to a Souls game on PS4 since I hear Bloodborne plays nothing like the Souls games at all

yeah and the fact that Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 3 aren't on PS4 really cements Knack as the prime Souls experience on PS4

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Knack[:] ... the prime ... experience on PS4

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Lots of peeps jumping in to Yakuza now. That's good. Maybe the series can be profitable.

It's getting great press. I've seen a few people on facebook asking what the yakuza series is about as they've never heard of it but it looks good. with the release of another 2 in the next 12 months they've got an opportunity for it to pick up a lot of traction. I can see them finally cracking the west and selling a ton.
i'd also like a remake of 2 & 3. then gently caress it, when the ps5 is out just remake 4 & 5 because by then i'll be ready for another play through, alongside yakuza 8.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I've never played a Yakuza game.

Or Bloodborne.

Or Knack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

Or Bloodborne.

Or Knack.

Why even bother living?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Knack it off

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Or Bloodborne.

Or Knack.

i bet you use a non pro ps4 on a non 4k tv, too

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I have a PS4 Amateur on a HDTV, it was hooked up to a 4K tv for a while but I moved it to another room.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Yeah, I sure do. But why bother with those games when I have all I need with The Witcher 3, noted GOTY 2016?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 released the VR mode. It's only on the Japanese version right now and will cost money after February the 28th. The Asian site says there is no release date set for outside of Japan. It looks like the delay in releasing it was in response to the initial teaser video and now is just the existing event replay modes in VR with the fan item disabled. PS4 Pro will give better visuals in VR mode.

Also they're releasing the last DLC set next month. Not even a full year of updates.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 26, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I Redbox'd The Order 1886 and felt a bit ripped off. That and Ryse: Son of Rome feel like games that were designed a decade ago and slammed together for system launches.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Hey guys what's better Dark Souls or Bloodborne? Are either of them good games?

Is Uncharted 4 good? I've heard varying opinions

Should I really get a pro if I don't have a 4k TV? I mean I saw a slim bundle for $260 probably just get that...don't care for Uncharted 4 tho...should I just get a pro? Is it worth the extra money?

For real, I can talk your ear(s) off about Dark Souls and bloodborne and they are all good, but if you're getting a ps4 id say get Bloodborne first since it's exclusive. I've bought a base ps4, a slim, and a pro all pretty much to play Bloodborne so I am extremely bias. I feel that the pro is worth the extra, but it's a personal thing. What games do you want to play?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

irlZaphod posted:

Or Bloodborne.

Or Knack.

Do you want to? Because they sell games in shops now, you could just buy them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ethanol posted:

Knack it off

Electromax
May 6, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

Or Bloodborne.

Or Knack.

Steer clear, Bloodborne only runs at 30 FPS if you can believe it.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Your system is objectively dumb and bad because you haven't played Witcher 3 yet. Glad you jumped in cheap to NOT play GOTY 2016 (Blood and Wine). Money well spent?

I just got Witcher 3 a few weeks ago when it plus both expansions went on sale for $25, and it's my favorite RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. I'm trying to spread it out playing only a couple hours here and there because I know that once I'm done with it I'll probably have to wait another 17 years for a game I like as much. It's odd because I didn't like Witcher 1 and 2 much at all, didn't even bother finishing them.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Electromax posted:

Steer clear, Bloodborne only runs at 30 FPS if you can believe it.

Ha, a stable framerate is something left for lesser games - Bloodborne might run at 30 FPS if it feels like it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Butt Discussin posted:

I just got Witcher 3 a few weeks ago when it plus both expansions went on sale for $25, and it's my favorite RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. I'm trying to spread it out playing only a couple hours here and there because I know that once I'm done with it I'll probably have to wait another 17 years for a game I like as much. It's odd because I didn't like Witcher 1 and 2 much at all, didn't even bother finishing them.

Witcher 2 feels like a tech demo for Wither 3 at this point. And 1 was just old school PC. Blood and Wine is the best video game, do everything else before that because it makes the main game hard to go back to.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

It's getting great press. I've seen a few people on facebook asking what the yakuza series is about as they've never heard of it but it looks good. with the release of another 2 in the next 12 months they've got an opportunity for it to pick up a lot of traction. I can see them finally cracking the west and selling a ton.
i'd also like a remake of 2 & 3. then gently caress it, when the ps5 is out just remake 4 & 5 because by then i'll be ready for another play through, alongside yakuza 8.

I'd love 4&5 on PS4 for the controller alone. It is hard for me to play games on PS3 now and to deal with its quirks. I'd buy them again.

So far, I'm really loving 0. I just wish they would allow me to really explore Tokyo. I finished chapter 1 yesterday and haven't started chapter 2. I hope it opens up a bit more from here. The fighting system is really great and fluid. I like the plot (but Yakuza games generally have a good plot, anyway).

If you have not played a Yakuza game before but enjoyed Sleeping Dogs, you will like this. The fighting system is very similar. There is more focus on plot and world building, though. So be prepared for 15-20 mins of cut scenes, 5 mins of gameplay and repeat to start the game out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MZ posted:

Having a full-time job, a backlog is inevitable. I've thought about game rental services but not sure if they are that cost effective for me as I wouldn't be able to get through more than about 1 game a month (it took me nearly 2 months to finish Dishonored 2, which isn't short, but is by no means a super-long game).
What I tend to do is buy a game new, then sell it on when I'm done. But I only buy a new game about once every 2 months, and I'm pretty selective about it when I do.

It means I can't play every game I'd like to when it gets released (I've only just started on The Witcher 3 last month), but that's life.

Yeah, the backlog caveat in my original question was to suss out people who were buying three games a month but only playing one every two months, and so forth. AKA this

Ineffiable posted:

K know there's several of us that bought more than 5 games thanks to holiday sales and we're still playing Bf1 and tf2 the most.

That is, I was trying to see on average what spending the right amount of money to play the right amount of games looks like. Like, I've been playing mostly Watch Dogs 2 this past week (and Overwatch), which is fun but it's also meant that I still haven't finished the Witness even though I'm at the Mountain and need to do the Challenge to just get it over with. Also I started FF15 but stopped a month ago so by the time I get back to it, I'll probably have forgotten how to play it, which is what happened with the Witcher 3 DLC, I jumped into Hearts of Stone and got completely wrecked in one of the first sidequests that I'm probably just going to put it on Easy to see the story and close that out. Meanwhile people in this thread are worrying about finishing Yakuza in time for Nioh even though both those games are probably long as gently caress

Edit: I have had a copy of Assassin's Creed Unity sitting on my shelf unplayed for over a year and a half. That is probably why I don't think actually owning games is worthwhile. Actually it's probably the copy of Final Fantasy 12 that has been on my shelf for a decade with 2 hours played

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 25, 2017

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: I have had a copy of Assassin's Creed Unity sitting on my shelf unplayed for over a year and a half. That is probably why I don't think actually owning games is worthwhile. Actually it's probably the copy of Final Fantasy 12 that has been on my shelf for a decade with 2 hours played

In my opinion your problem is that you buy mediocre games and then spend all your free time quoting Giant Bomb.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I just gave up on most of my backlog and traded in dishonored 2, FF15, Madden 17 and cod since no one on SA Mart wanted them and I was never choosing to play them.

Got RS Siege year 2 with the PSN credit but can't think of anything else. Almost got last guardian used but eb games wanted $63 cdn and I could have got it new from Amazon prime on release day if I wanted to pay that much.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
question

https://www.reddit.com/r/PlayStationPlus/comments/28eqk1/you_still_cant_purchase_games_you_already_have_on/

Has this matter been resolved yet, or can you still not buy games you previously had on PS+?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nioh offering 1080p/60 makes me actually want a pro for the first time. If every game hits 1080p/60 Ill eventually upgrade. Worth noting the PS4 regular running 720p/60 is pretty pathetic.