Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

gently caress Whitey posted:

Every day there's not a new Night Mind I get sad

Seriously. There's been one new episode since early Decemberish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
When you find a kid with a hammerskin jacket on a local supermarket.. yeah maybe him getting clocked wouldn't be such a bad idea

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

Seriously. There's been one new episode since early Decemberish?

There was one like a two weeks ago

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

glam rock hamhock posted:

There was one like a two weeks ago

Yeah and before that was his end of the year promise to make more stuff and before that was like two weeks of silence.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

"America is good, because America is great."

"I don't know who made Pokemon Go, but they should make Pokemon Go To The Polls"

Hillary's words were awful too, make no mistake about that.

Felix of the Trap brought this up in an article, that poo poo like "Make America Sick Again" shows that we have trouble even approaching Trump because we're too insistent on using his own language to fight him, which shows just how much power we've given him.

Ceding the terms of the debate to the right has been a a liberal, and even a broader left of center, tentpole for half a century. Take for example everyone who is fretting that The Great Wall is going to be too expensive. Even if you win that fight, you've lost by establishing that the government can't afford big money infrastructure and job creation programs. Despite its ugly xenophobic and racist origins, not "building the wall" is precisely what the wealthy right wants - porous immigration rules to ensure a supply of impoverished, legally unprotected workers to drive down wages, and a hegemonic acceptance of austerity policy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Stop posting Sing spoilers.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Slice of life: my cat hasn't been eating anything for a couple weeks, and after taking her to the vet last week I thought we might have found the issue, but she's still not eating outside of the forced-feeding I have to do. She's back at the vet today, and they're running even more tests to find out specifically what's wrong with her.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Today's YTOTD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_T5mvuguw
Bits & Bytes

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
"we're stuck with the name computers"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
So here's my personal ranking of Blair Witch movies for no reason whatsoever:

I like the first film, The Burkittsville 7, and Wingard's reboot all about the same.

Shadow of the Blair Witch is next simply because I love the extra-diegetic context it creates for Book of Shadows. It's also amusing to me that a guy who's only connection to the franchise was that he made Burkittsville 7 for the Showtime T.V. premiere is actually technically the author of the first direct sequel to the original film, and that writer/director Ben Rock basically assumes the Joe Berlinger role, but Joe Berlinger is playing a hack who they got to make a Scream rip-off.

Following that, Curse of the Blair Witch and Sticks & Stones: An Exploration of the Blair Witch Legend overlap quite considerably, so it's probably best to treat them as a single film.

And last but certainly not least - at least not in the trashiest sense - is Book of Shadows, a theatrically released film which retroactively only serves as gratuitous 'stock footage' for a made-for-T.V. movie which was itself imagined as just an advertisement for 'the real thing.'

I dig it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

You live in French-speaking Canada from what I understand so what's your impression of weather girls and/or anchorwomen from one lingual group based upon your broader experience, go ahead

I haven't paid nearly enough attention news to local tv news or weather reports in general in the last 20 years to answer that. What I can say is that growing up, I noticed an obvious distinction in the tone of broadcast news from Quebec vs those coming from the US and English Canada. The prim and proper behavior with perfectly neutral accents of the english news were noticeably absent in the local news I watched, and it made me feel english news was more insincere and detached, and probably being told by people who were in no way affected by it. Part of that was simply that I was watching local news, I'm sure, but it also speaks to how Quebec was still shifting from a heavily rural and isolated culture to a more modernized north american one in those days. The Révolution Tranquille was still kind of recent in the 80s.

Other tv news cultural differences of the time are best expressed in this sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-dIsGwR0r0

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 25, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I never seen The Burkittsville 7.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just started Resident Evil 7. So far it's a video game version of Grey Gardens.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I never seen The Burkittsville 7.

In case you missed the link https://vimeo.com/59334058

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

sweet

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ooh!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
This computer video is cracking me up Hundu. So quaint

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I'm definitely gonna end up watching the whole thing.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
The printers at work are unsecured, so occasionally they just randomly print white supremacy flyers. It's a bummer.

On Monday though, it printed a single sentence - 'A tragic day in Amerikkka, but we will overcome. You are not alone'

Thanks, printer :3:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Slugworth posted:

The printers at work are unsecured, so occasionally they just randomly print white supremacy flyers. It's a bummer.

This is the 2017 version of getting antisemitic literature pushed under your door.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Slugworth posted:

On Monday though, it printed a single sentence - 'A tragic day in Amerikkka, but we will overcome. You are not alone'

Thanks, printer :3:

NSFW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsOMEUamYkc

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

K. Waste posted:

So here's my personal ranking of Blair Witch movies for no reason whatsoever:

I like the first film, The Burkittsville 7, and Wingard's reboot all about the same.

Shadow of the Blair Witch is next simply because I love the extra-diegetic context it creates for Book of Shadows. It's also amusing to me that a guy who's only connection to the franchise was that he made Burkittsville 7 for the Showtime T.V. premiere is actually technically the author of the first direct sequel to the original film, and that writer/director Ben Rock basically assumes the Joe Berlinger role, but Joe Berlinger is playing a hack who they got to make a Scream rip-off.

Following that, Curse of the Blair Witch and Sticks & Stones: An Exploration of the Blair Witch Legend overlap quite considerably, so it's probably best to treat them as a single film.

And last but certainly not least - at least not in the trashiest sense - is Book of Shadows, a theatrically released film which retroactively only serves as gratuitous 'stock footage' for a made-for-T.V. movie which was itself imagined as just an advertisement for 'the real thing.'

I dig it.

Where does the original fall in your ranking?

e: durr, I missed that first line.

How about ranking the spoof Blair Witch movies next then (Bare Wench, Bogus Witch, Bear Wit, Erotic Witch, Scooby-Doo Project, etc).

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 25, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I thought that's what he meant by "the first film" in his first paragraph.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
wait, there's an original?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Looks like Trump is actually going to build that wall.

Also, keep getting denied Airports :(

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I'm gonna stage a found footage play

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Death By The Blues posted:

Also, keep getting denied Airports :(

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

The money that will go to waste on this pipe-dream is staggering.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Yea and actually temporarily banning muslims.

I wish we could get a drat airport. This story is topical and brings even more awareness to the hate festering around the world.

gently caress, wanted to go to the states and probably can't or won't go now.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Yea and actually temporarily banning muslims.

I wish we could get a drat airport. This story is topical and brings even more awareness to the hate festering around the world.

gently caress, wanted to go to the states and probably can't or won't go now.

The word "temporarily" and its synonyms are going to be used a lot, and never genuinely I fear.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

It's ridiculous. It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. To be in support of the wall you have to be either massively xenophobic, extremely dumb, or totally brainwashed by "alternate facts".

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Have you stopped doing the noir lists? Because I really enjoyed those.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's ridiculous. It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. To be in support of the wall you have to be either massively xenophobic, extremely dumb, or totally brainwashed by "alternate facts".

Just spiteful. People enjoy watching other people suffer so they can feel better about themselves. It's this idiotic "gently caress you, got mine" mentality that's less about making the world better, but rather about making sure people are more miserable.

Of course, we're the bad people because we want basic rights and actually want to treat each other as human beings.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lookin' good, Jenny. Got a date?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Which one describes Hillary and Obama? They've both shilled for border barriers, actually built them, and supported or actually executed mass deportations.

You can have any two of wage protections, open borders, and nation states, but you can't have em all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DeimosRising posted:

You can have any two of wage protections, open borders, and nation states, but you can't have em all.

seems like a no-brainer honestly

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Snak posted:

I thought that's what he meant by "the first film" in his first paragraph.

Yeah, I should've specified, especially since technically The Curse of the Blair Witch aired on the Sci-Fi Channel before Project was ever released.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Egbert Souse posted:

Just spiteful.

Exactly. In order to truly understand the alt-right mentality, you have to remembered that it's a postmodern movement. To them, the purpose of the wall has nothing to do with actually keeping Mexicans out. The wall itself is simply a monolithic work of propaganda art - an installation clearly plagiarized from 'orientalist' history in service of a new, reactionary, end-of-history ideology. They know the wall doesn't make sense, and they don't care.

DeimosRising posted:

Which one describes Hillary and Obama? They've both shilled for border barriers, actually built them, and supported or actually executed mass deportations.

Yes, but they were never this postmodern about it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

seems like a no-brainer honestly

I agree but no one seems to proposing the only moral answer. It's just too convenient for all involved to have Mexico and the rest of Central America as a dumping ground for the consequences of US excesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, I should've specified, especially since technically The Curse of the Blair Witch aired on the Sci-Fi Channel before Project was ever released.

Exactly. In order to truly understand the alt-right mentality, you have to remembered that it's a postmodern movement. To them, the purpose of the wall has nothing to do with actually keeping Mexicans out. The wall itself is simply a monolithic work of propaganda art - an installation clearly plagiarized from 'orientalist' history in service of a new, reactionary, end-of-history ideology. They know the wall doesn't make sense, and they don't care.

Yes, but they were never this postmodern about it.

And that's why they lost. They thought they could be monsters on the DL, but Trump is out and loud and proud. Why have a substitute when you can have the real thing?

• Locked thread