Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Truman Sticks posted:

My favorite use of the morphing call-out, from Ninja Storm:

http://dai.ly/xxfi12?start=929

I haven't seen this show in over ten years and somehow I knew exactly what I was clicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I still like how they are like randomass american teen fuckups who all...go to a top secret ninja school. What the hell, how did that ever even happen?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Light Gun Man posted:

I still like how they are like randomass american teen fuckups who all...go to a top secret ninja school. What the hell, how did that ever even happen?

The show at some point explains that there are like a messload of top secret ninja schools all over the world, and the bad guys just blew all of them up on their way in.

It still doesn't explain why these top secret ninja teens are such huge fuckups, though :v:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

"Wild access, huh!" is actually my least favorite call ever. I can't think of a show that had a generic "[season name] power, go!" except for DinoThunder, and it made up for that in other ways.

I mean, the Gaoranger morph call is "Gao Access". :effort:

I also love both Mystic Force and Magiranger. They are different enough in a lot of key areas.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Things that still gently caress me up about watching a Power Rangers after I've already seen its corresponding Super Sentai:

I'm perfectly willing to accept changed characterizations of the human characters/rangers because that's clearly a "different human" in the role.

I get like weirdly revolted when the monster suits show up with different names, voices, histories, and personalities from their Sentai counterparts.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Light Gun Man posted:

So far, I feel that show did a better job of integrating a ninja power into it's world than Ninja Steel did in it's first episode. Part of it is that PRNS is really a power ranger styled TMNT, right down to the snarky self-aware bad guy who is a former associate of the sensei. I guess the other part of it is that Naruto happened right at about the same time. Now that I've watched Liveman, in hindsight there's a lot of similarities too (semi-serious red ranger, carefree male yellow ranger with an alternative sports hobby, booksmart female blue ranger, two guys that show up after the story was established) but that wasn't likely to be intentional. That said, Toei absolutely just did "Liveman but in CGI" in the design of the first three zords.

deadly_pudding posted:

It still doesn't explain why these top secret ninja teens are such huge fuckups, though :v:

I seem to remember that in both NS and Hurricanger the school's competent ninjas are all defeated in the opening minutes, leaving the fuckups to inherit the school's ranger powers.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 24, 2017

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Have there been any recent articles / interviews / etc. about Toei's recent relationship with Disney and Saban? All I know is back in the MMPR-era they helped Saban out quite a bit, so I'm curious how things may have shifted - or if they even care anymore.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I remember reading that they offered to re-film the final battle from Megaforce with only the English rangers, but I don't know if Saban took them off on that offer.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Senerio posted:

I remember reading that they offered to re-film the final battle from Megaforce with only the English rangers, but I don't know if Saban took them off on that offer.

Supposedly the guy in charge of Megaforce refused(they did their own attempt that kinda sucked), wouldn't be surprised if that might have been one of the reasons he got fired after that season

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember part of why it was a mess was because they basically wanted the disney rangers to work for free, according to the green (?) ranger from SPD.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They wanted everybody to work for free. The people that did go basically took a loss to appear.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
That final battle was built up for two seasons and amounted to next to nothing. You'd think that with all that hype it would have been more than a couple dozen rangers fighting mooks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They were better off taking the Gokaiger finale and just dubbing over it

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
And dumping all of Goseiger.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

asymmetrical posted:

Have there been any recent articles / interviews / etc. about Toei's recent relationship with Disney and Saban? All I know is back in the MMPR-era they helped Saban out quite a bit, so I'm curious how things may have shifted - or if they even care anymore.
Apparently, they approached Saban in regards to the newest Sentai series.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Zyuohger? With the premise of Steel it looks like Saban is going to skip, which doesn't seem that bad - up to ZaWarudo it was pretty slice-of-life comfy, and Saban would just butcher it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GuyUpNorth posted:

Zyuohger? With the premise of Steel it looks like Saban is going to skip, which doesn't seem that bad - up to ZaWarudo it was pretty slice-of-life comfy, and Saban would just butcher it.

I think he was probably referring to Kyuranger, the series that's going to be starting after Zyuohger finishes in a few weeks. Apparently both the Japanese and American branches of Bandai will have a bit more input than usual in it's creation which is a good sign we'll most likely be seeing it adapted into Power Rangers.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Den of Geek is doing an interview with show writer James Bates. The first part about Samurai is up, and he talks about working under Jonathan Tzachor:

quote:

Fans long held assumption about Tzachor proved correct as Bates began work.

“His story editor was a translator," Bates says. "To Jonathan, Shinkenger is a great show. Why change it too much? There are things that appealed to him, like the kids would be ancestral Samurai that were sequestered with their mentor in a beautiful set. He saw what he thought was working in the show and was just sticking very close to it."

This strict adherence to the Japanese series had caused production to fall dangerously behind schedule. “We had to rewrite those fifteen scripts, write five new episodes, and do two clip shows and shoot all of them in ninety seven days," he recalls. "The show premiered in February and I came on in September. I was working seventy to eighty hours a week.”

Bates, along with several writers he brought onto the series, quickly tried to infuse as much life into the scripts and characters as possible. This proved to be a huge challenge. “Jonathan very strongly believed that they should be sequestered to the point where one of my writers, who developed a story where some of the kids were using a Playstation in the Shiba House, it was like we had punched his puppy. It’s just something he wasn’t interested in ever doing.”

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/power-rangers/261159/power-rangers-samurai-lost-in-translation

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really glad that man is gone.

Just, Jesus Christ, at that point just DUB the Sentai.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't see a huge problem in mostly direct adaptions if the show is capable of it. Some shows aren't, because they're just loaded down with so much cultural context ("hey look, it's dude from other show on this network!") that they don't work well with a completely different cast on a completely different network in a completely different country.

For me it's like, the first season adds some trivial Saved By The Bell stuff to the Zyuranger formula, and it was great. In Space came up with a totally different concept and when they were re-using footage they were usually suggesting the footage had a totally different meaning and context than what it was originally depicting. And that show was also great.

I never watched Samurai but it's becoming glaringly obvious why I have so much trouble watching PR over the past ten yeras. There's a lot of bad New Zealand actors trying to keep their accents down (though they seem to be slowly flying more Americans out). The characters rarely get to have any kind of presence and few of them are memorable because they aren't designed to impart any kind of memory outside of their season. It also feels like the advent of HDTV makes the cuts feel so much more obvious than they used to, part of the reason I'm forcing myself to give Ninja Steel more than the 2-5 episodes I gave the rest is because Chip Lynn likes using original footage and might make a character that tells a memorable story rather than contributing to the revolving door of disposable rangers who battle their evil foe and then disappear forever and are never missed.

It helps, I suppose, that the show they're working from is regarded by everyone as terrible, so they have a lot of room to just make poo poo up. And more often than not in PR the stuff I've liked most over the years is stuff they made up: Lord Zedd, the quasi-Star Trek vibe of the Megaship, most of Lost Galaxy, etc.

That's sort of the big break between the two shows, in my opinion. Sentai fans are used to expecting no connective tissue between their shows except for the occasional team-up special where the writers don't bother to explain it and don't really consider it part of either show's story. Whereas even when PR began resetting every year, teamup shows were usually a pretty big deal either for both shows or even for the lineage of the entire franchise.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 26, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Technically shows like Time Force and Wild Force followed the same basic story as their Sentai counterparts as well, only difference is that the original elements they did add were what made those shows interesting.

To be fair, while it wasn't much there was a little of that in Samurai as well, such as them actually tying Juuzo/Dekker and Dayu's backstories together (which is probably the one aspect where I thought the show actually did something better than Shinkenger did). Speaking of Dekker, considering his counterpart was a psychopath who killed just for the thrill of it they actually kept a surprising amount of Juuzo's character intact for him. Hell, they even still killed him off at the end which almost never happens with face (that is, human characters that aren't exclusively in rubber suits) villians in Power Rangers.

But yeah, while it's not a good show by any stretch of the imagination I'd still probably rank Samurai higher than Megaforce due to it actually having a coherent story and a proper epilogue for the characters whereas Megaforce just kind of stops and that's it (of course, the lack of a real ending is probably the least of that show's problems).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 26, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think general consensus is that Samurai starts abysmal and then, as the actors grow into their roles and the story starts being interesting (right around Super Samurai, IIRC), it turns into something almost decent? Especially once Megaforce dropped and there was something much worse to compare it to.

I don't actually know first-hand because I'm not the kind of person who can sit through a lovely show on the promise of it getting kinda less lovely.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I watched one episode of it, I think the first, which ended with the green ranger writing the symbol for fun and all the rangers like dancing and partying. Which is fine for a PR episode but being so early or kind of flew in the face of how great early Shinkenger was of slowly getting the cast to like and respect each other enough to work together, which I loved. So that really sucked. Also the main Red actor, much like Megaforce, was pretty bad.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
When does KyuuRanger start airing? I really really wanna get in on the ground floor because I'm already behind on like a hundred shows.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

WickedHate posted:

When does KyuuRanger start airing? I really really wanna get in on the ground floor because I'm already behind on like a hundred shows.

This weekend was the penultimate episode of Zyyohger, so two more weeks to new Sentai!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This week was an improvement over last's for Ninja Steel. Pretty good, fun stuff. The Game Show aspect is really promising.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Saw this cute video on facebook of a couple of Ranger cosplayers getting engaged at a photoshoot:

https://www.facebook.com/1743709809201540/videos/1800755660163621/

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This week was an improvement over last's for Ninja Steel. Pretty good, fun stuff. The Game Show aspect is really promising.

yeah I'm gonna stick with ninja steel for a few more episodes at least to see if they solve some of the problems I had with Aka Ninjer.

Things of note: I think this is the first time that two rangers have been explicitly in a relationship from day 1.
I like the old monster cameos in the spaceship audience. I spotted Vancuria in there.
The lost brother is totally going to be Star Ninjer, isn't he? :allears: I bet he had to go live with their aunt and uncle in Texas after his family got aducted by aliens/disappeared.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

yeah I'm gonna stick with ninja steel for a few more episodes at least to see if they solve some of the problems I had with Aka Ninjer.

Things of note: I think this is the first time that two rangers have been explicitly in a relationship from day 1.
I like the old monster cameos in the spaceship audience. I spotted Vancuria in there.
The lost brother is totally going to be Star Ninjer, isn't he? :allears: I bet he had to go live with their aunt and uncle in Texas after his family got aducted by aliens/disappeared.

Vancuria/Necrolai is one of my favorite Easter eggs. She's like the Lil Kim of the Super Sentai/Power Rangers universe.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So rather then being created from objects the monsters this time are just contestants on the game show, that makes sense and I don't really have a problem with that. I'm guessing the Zords just coming out of nowhere rather than being based on things the Rangers already own was the result of executive meddling as otherwise why would they make Sarah's hoverboard look exactly like her zord and why not just make Redbot grow rather than giving Brody a Zord that looks just like him? The ending was kind of interesting too and I'm curious to see where they go with it as far as handling the Gold Ranger.

Overall while the episode had it's problems (the way of growing monsters being yet another laser seems a bit lazy to me) I don't hate Ninja Steel so far (in fact I would say it's probably better than it's source material though that's not exactly a high bar to clear).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 30, 2017

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Larryb posted:

So rather then being created from objects the monsters this time are just contestants on the game show, that makes sense and I don't really have a problem with that.

I love the Robot Devil guy that hosts the show.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I had less of a problem with how the monster gets big and more of a problem that they killed the giant monster by... shooting him with their sidearm?

I guess they're saving the Megazord for the next episode, but that seems unnecessary.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Eddie Whitson posted:

I love the Robot Devil guy that hosts the show.

He was one of the evil generals in ToQger, only they gave him a different head because he probably looked too regal and/or menacing.

I wonder if some of the others will show up later.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Shadow Line was a missed opportunity for PR. Even without the train theme, they seemed like they'd be a fine fit for PR.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Xelkelvos posted:

The Shadow Line was a missed opportunity for PR. Even without the train theme, they seemed like they'd be a fine fit for PR.

Yeah, but they did have the train theme, and ToQ just wasn't gonna fly in the states. They'll probably skip over Animal Minecraft too, if only for the terrible costumes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, but they did have the train theme, and ToQ just wasn't gonna fly in the states. They'll probably skip over Animal Minecraft too, if only for the terrible costumes.

Which ones were terrible? I don't tend to inspect the weekly monsters too heavily...but nothing jumped out at me as being too bad as far as all the season-long regulars went

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I don't mind those ranger suits, but the mech's are so silly that I couldn't see them making it overseas. Although I'd be curious to see how Bandai makes those toys look even worse than they already do.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Counterargument: These toys are gonna be dirt-cheap to make if they cut corners (and you know they will), which means huge profit margins on selling them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

Which ones were terrible? I don't tend to inspect the weekly monsters too heavily...but nothing jumped out at me as being too bad as far as all the season-long regulars went

The ranger suits look like terrible Halloween costumes and the Zords are ridiculous-which wouldn't be too bad if it was like, a sketch on the Wiggles, but Power Rangers as a separate franchise prides itself on being EXTREME and KICKBUTT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PMush Perfect posted:

Counterargument: These toys are gonna be dirt-cheap to make if they cut corners (and you know they will), which means huge profit margins on selling them.

But if they cut off the corners, they won't be cubes any more! :rimshot: