Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Dammit, was hoping for a bloodlines sequel by obsidian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

frajaq posted:

Yay Aloth and Eder are back and will never ever leave the party just like before

:yeah:

Way more excited for direct sequel than I thought I would be. I'm attached to my dumb party.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

CottonWolf posted:

You are wrong. Direct sequels are actually both cool and good.

I hope we get prestige classes. Make it so you're your original class to 20, then pick from 5 or 6 prestige classes that have extensive branching.

Nah, when everything has to be super epic, earth shattering, and awesome, then nothing feels special. "Small stories in a big world" is better every single time.

I'm pretty pumped for pirate adventure fun time, I can always just speed click through the God killing crap.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Welp, 200 bucks going towards them the moment this goes live. At least to start with.

Going to spread it to all my possibly RPG-invested friends.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Polygon article is gone.

I bet someone hosed up.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Caed Nua being totally destroyed as part of the premise for the sequel is kinda funny.

Clearly we'd need to put our throne on the mast of a ship.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Megazver posted:

I bet someone hosed up.

I hope they aren't really using Fig of all fuckin things

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I do agree that it's important that the team retains the human element in PoE2, but I think that mostly should be done by focusing on those who are affected by the events, especially (and I hate the word) "smallfolk."

That's an aspect of PoE that I think is vastly underrated, the way the Hollowborn crisis affects the people of Defiance Bay and Gilded Vale really worked for me on a personal level.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Megazver posted:

They probably made a mistake similar to Obsidian's original counter, they forgot to use the right timezone.

Under the vegetable posted:

Feargus is on the board, obviously they were going to use it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

They kind of have to unfortunately. At least, I imagine so. With all the backing from corporations for their last kickstarter, who all use and used Fig, they're morally obliged to a degree. I mean I wouldn't because there's even less exposure on Fig and that might mess up the process, but that's how things are.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I just hope the writing/characters aren't as loving sandpaper-dry in this one. I can tolerate the combat, I suppose.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The nerd in me is vaguely annoyed that it involves Eothas possessing the statue from the stronghold, because the backstory of that statue is that it got cut in half or something and was useless, and also beetles gnawed at it for centuries. Still, that's probably something godly power could fix, and it's cool that the story doesn't just involve you leaving your giant castle which you're the lord of and travelling the world like I'd assumed(although the big reveal at the end of the game could justify that too).

I hope there's something like the Dragon Age Keep (I don't need the pretty tapestry poo poo, just a series of plain checkboxes would do me fine) if only because I want to know exactly what choices roll over.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 26, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

No you have to make a PoE Keep all pretty and stylish c'mon Obsidian

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

2house2fly posted:

The nerd in me is vaguely annoyed that it involves Eothas possessing the statue from the stronghold, because the backstory of that statue is that it got cut in half or something and was useless, and also beetles gnawed at it for centuries. Still, that's probably something godly power could fix, and it's cool that the story doesn't just involve you leaving your giant castle which you're the lord of and travelling the world like I'd assumed(although the big reveal at the end of the game could justify that too).

I hope there's something like the Dragon Age Keep (I don't need the pretty tapestry poo poo, just a series of plain checkboxes would do me fine) if only because I want to know exactly what choices roll over.

I hadn't read that story bit yet, unless you're just making that up. Where did they drop that?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Hey I'm still on vanilla PoE and I'm having kind of a hard time motivating myself to continue. It's not that I don't enjoy games like this anymore, but they're so huge and sprawling and demand so much focus and attention that I'm having a hard time "getting into" the nitties and gritties of mechanics and lore. I love the writing, I love the companions, but I feel lost because there's so much to do and I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. Fifteen years ago that do-anything openness would be a huge draw but these days I just... can't.

I'm not asking anyone to solve this problem for me, since it's not really the game's fault, but I'm wondering if anyone can estimate how much is left of the main storyline once you're done with Defiance Bay.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's fine to dislike a game, but I'm not sure why you'd expect a sequel to change so much that it wouldn't resemble the original anymore. It's a bizarre expectation, especially considering the game sold decently by all metrics.

I dunno, Bioware did this with Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

peer posted:

I'm not asking anyone to solve this problem for me, since it's not really the game's fault, but I'm wondering if anyone can estimate how much is left of the main storyline once you're done with Defiance Bay.

You're almost done, just go to druid green town and ignore the side quests if you're in a hurry

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Hey, does anyone know where I can find a decent map of the PoE world? Like one that shows Deadfire and the Living Lands and all that?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Super pumped! Never used Fig but here we go.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

evilmiera posted:

I hadn't read that story bit yet, unless you're just making that up. Where did they drop that?

https://gameup24.wordpress.com/2017/01/26/obsidian-announces-pillars-of-eternity-2/

quote:

Eothas … the god of light and rebirth was thought dead, but he now inhabits the stone titan that sat buried under your keep, Caed Nua, for millennia,” reads a press release. “Ripping his way out of the ground, he destroys your stronghold and leaves you at the brink of death. To save your soul, you must track down the wayward god and demand answers — answers which could throw mortals and the gods themselves into chaos.

Don't really know what you could need answers for since what happened with Eothas basically got resolved in PoE1, but I'd definitely want to track him down and kick his rear end.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

peer posted:

Hey I'm still on vanilla PoE and I'm having kind of a hard time motivating myself to continue. It's not that I don't enjoy games like this anymore, but they're so huge and sprawling and demand so much focus and attention that I'm having a hard time "getting into" the nitties and gritties of mechanics and lore. I love the writing, I love the companions, but I feel lost because there's so much to do and I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. Fifteen years ago that do-anything openness would be a huge draw but these days I just... can't.

just look at the quests tab and follow anything under "the hollowing of the Dyrwood," that's the main quest. You can ignore any side quests that don't look interesting, but bear in mind resolving quests for your companions or not can affect their ~*ending*~

3Romeo posted:

Hey, does anyone know where I can find a decent map of the PoE world? Like one that shows Deadfire and the Living Lands and all that?
They've only ever made a map of the Dyrwood, probably related to rope kid saying some time ago that they don't want to nail down too much lore stuff because they might have a cool idea later.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Well, let me know when I can make a direct preorder instead of giving money to a pyramid scheme and I'm in.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

frajaq posted:

You're almost done, just go to druid green town and ignore the side quests if you're in a hurry

2house2fly posted:

just look at the quests tab and follow anything under "the hollowing of the Dyrwood," that's the main quest. You can ignore any side quests that don't look interesting, but bear in mind resolving quests for your companions or not can affect their ~*ending*~

Thanks guys. I think I want to complete (most of) the companion quests as well, since I like them all except the druid guy, but throwing me into a completely new area right when I was starting to feel comfortable in - and could find my way around - Defiance Bay sapped my enthusiasm a little bit.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
PoE2 gonna be cool but got to put on my cynic hat and remind everyone not to preorder video games. Fig needs PoE2, not the other way around.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
ropekid I really need to know where this game falls on the gently caress you/suck my dick spectrum of personal dream rpgs, tia.

I'm so excited. Feels like 2012 all over again.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

zedprime posted:

PoE2 gonna be cool but got to put on my cynic hat and remind everyone not to preorder video games. Fig needs PoE2, not the other way around.

I trust enough in Obsidian to deliver a product that I'm fine with crowdfunding PoE.

The announcement has me excited. Glad to see the return of Pallegina and Eder, and the screenshots already look great. The lighting on the exterior palace is incredible.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I didn't kickstart on PoE so I'm considering doing it for this. Does Fig have KS style backer tiers? I hope they don't do backer memorial stuff again but I'd totally be down for another almanac or something.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
And I just dropped a sizable chunk of cash this month already. Does fig allow late backing and such? I'd like to fund this here PoE2 game I sorta like, but I'm not sure I can do it inside a month. (Out of country trips are expensive, yo)

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
can you romance Iselmyr in Pillars 2?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

What's with the Fig hate? Am I wrong in thinking it's just a Kickstarter clone?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I was under the impression combat was going to be undergoing significant overhauling tbh. I don't remember where I got that idea.

Multiclassing is in, last I heard, but that's probably the most significant change. We might see some minor tweaks to the system, but the basics will remain.

2house2fly posted:

Don't really know what you could need answers for since what happened with Eothas basically got resolved in PoE1, but I'd definitely want to track him down and kick his rear end.

It's hinted at, but we still don't know for certain why he came to Eora as Waidwen (assuming he was Waidwen) and what happened to him after meeting the Godhammer.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

not really excited about fig, like, i hope it's successful, i guess? but i don't think i'll be backing it myself
i still need to actually finish the first one, i always loose steam or get distracted by something else right at the end of act 2.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I better be able to become a pirate king/queen in this game

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

2house2fly posted:

I didn't kickstart on PoE so I'm considering doing it for this. Does Fig have KS style backer tiers? I hope they don't do backer memorial stuff again but I'd totally be down for another almanac or something.

Fig has backer rewards that work basically exactly like KS, but add-ons are integrated. Unless you're doing investing (I wouldn't recommend investing in videogames, but I know nothing about that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯), the experience is very similar.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'm excited for the implication of more animal companions including birds.

Also hopefully better guns so I can go full pirate-Ranger.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Clanpot Shake posted:

What's with the Fig hate? Am I wrong in thinking it's just a Kickstarter clone?

I think it mostly boils down to some people thinking that Tim Schafer is literally Satan, and he is on the advisory board of Fig.

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

I was under the impression combat was going to be undergoing significant overhauling tbh. I don't remember where I got that idea.

Relevant rope kid interview to understand how he approaches sequels http://www.gatheryourparty.com/2012/10/10/interview-josh-sawyer/

quote:

Josh: Yeah, it can be really strange to see how publishers react to an initial title in a series that does well. Let’s say it does well, modestly well. Sells enough to warrant a sequel and then the sequel comes around and the things they change to get that wider appeal. So I would say a success story of that would be from Assassin’s Creed to Assassin’s Creed II. That was probably a rare success story of that happening. The first one had a lot of problems. People really liked the concept of it, but there was some weird stuff going on in it. And it wasn’t terribly fun either.

Now I don’t know a lot about the AC II team, but looking at the final result it’s easy to see them saying, “You know people really do like running around on roofs. They really like the stealth kills. They probably don’t like collecting flags. They probably don’t like doing this other stuff.”

Del: Sitting on benches and listening to conversations.

Josh: Yeah, yeah! “They probably don’t like any of this stuff so why don’t we keep the stuff people really like and ditch the stuff they didn’t like.” And again it really seemed as though they paid attention to the people that really wanted to like the game instead of the people that hated it. I don’t want to name names, but I can think of other games where it’s a new IP. It does modestly well and I don’t know if it’s the developer or publisher, but they come to all these weird conclusions and change these things that cause the people that liked it to hate it.

Del: I really don’t understand that mentality. I don’t know what happens. Going back to what you said about games and the human condition. It seems like people see something and go, “Ok, so if X amount of people bought this then we just need to change this-and-this-and-that and then X plus Y will buy it next time!” You know maybe that’s not a good thing. Maybe it’ll make you more money, maybe. If X plus Y do indeed buy it, but maybe just going for the original X again is fine. If that paid the bills and made enough money to make another game, isn’t that ok?

Josh: I think it comes down to–in a lot of cases–that instead of people listening to criticism they just know there is criticism and then they decide independent of it that they’re going to change some stuff. So like you said, you made a modest impact, you really struck home with some people that really liked the game, and maybe the execution needed some work. So why not just make the execution of what you were going for so that the next one is totally awesome and those things that people loved about it is now even better. Then if there’s stuff that’s janky about it, yeah change the janky stuff, but not if it’s something that those people that loved the game really liked. Just make it better. I think there’s where things go wrong. People look at something and go, “Ok, so we have this core of people that love the game and this other group that fundamentally hates it, so let’s make it a different game.” And it’s like, “Well… no. They hate the game. They didn’t like anything about it. You’re not going to win those people over. They don’t even like the idea of what you’re making.”

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Oasx posted:

I think it mostly boils down to some people thinking that Tim Schafer is literally Satan, and he is on the advisory board of Fig.

The Psychonauts guy? But that game was cool

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Broken Age didn't have the smoothest of development. I was disappointed by that too when it was happening, but in the end it worked out, they were transparent throughout the process, and they also went ahead to develop another game that was, by all measures, pretty decent with crowdfunding (Massive Chalice).

He never really lived that down, though.

He also doesn't really seem to have much to do with the other Fig projects except his own, but hey, his name is mentioned on the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
gently caress, of all the times for money on my end to be tight :smithicide:

• Locked thread