Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Broken Age didn't have the smoothest of development. I was disappointed by that too when it was happening, but in the end it worked out, they were transparent throughout the process, and they also went ahead to develop another game that was, by all measures, pretty decent with crowdfunding (Massive Chalice).

He never really lived that down, though.

A lot of "gamers" also hate Schafer because he was strongly anti-gamergate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Stretch goal I'm hoping to see.... "give us more money and the game will be better."

Done.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Broken Age didn't have the smoothest of development. I was disappointed by that too when it was happening, but in the end it worked out, they were transparent throughout the process, and they also went ahead to develop another game that was, by all measures, pretty decent with crowdfunding (Massive Chalice).

He never really lived that down, though.

He also doesn't really seem to have much to do with the other Fig projects except his own, but hey, his name is mentioned on the website.

IIRC it was more how they handled Spacebase DF-9 than Broken Age.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Backing this for sure. The first one is totally my fetish.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

LordZoric posted:

IIRC it was more how they handled Spacebase DF-9 than Broken Age.

That would make sense if 1) Spacebase DF-9 was crowdfunded, but to my knowledge it wasn't, it was just on Early Access; 2) Tim Schafer had been working on that project;

That said, peer is right, I just didn't want to open that can of worms in this thread.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Created a Death Godlike Rogue from Deadfire for a new playthrough a few days ago. If we are able to import saves this is the one I'm going with. Dual-wielding pistols? I sure loving hope so!

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I'd say there's a zero percent chance Pillars 2 doesn't have a save import system. I'm hoping we get a magic pantaloons-style quest throughout the pillars games, now.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I'm sure something like this has probably already been decided in the PoE 2 working groups, but hey, if you're still looking for suggestions, any chance we can get:

1) Full voice acting for all the dialogue or
2) Only first-line acting for the dialogue or
3) Less grey "action" text?

My latest run I turned off all the voices and I found the game much more enjoyable - not because the voice acting is terrible (Eder :3:) but because it was hard to listen and read at the same time.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 26, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Clanpot Shake posted:

What's with the Fig hate? Am I wrong in thinking it's just a Kickstarter clone?
Fig self admittedly curates professional pitches to attract accredited investor money which is maybe cool and good, but it has the Kickstarter layered on top. Kickstarting professional pitches that are attracting investor money means the big boy gloves can come out for criticism in which case it falls closer to the anti-consumer side of preordering. Its a race to the bottom of how early into a project a company can leverage your money.

Its a bit grayer when its with niche games even though they are professional and the kickstarters want to advocate with their wallet and maybe even want the developer to reap the benefits of the time value of their money and the market research they provide by voting with their wallet. But if you've ever seen the sausage getting made with contract purchasing term fights over payment schedules, its give an inch and take a mile so kickstarting starts looking on the slimier side.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That's just... uh. Wow. What's caused this, the Armored warfare layoffs? They didn't ask him to join the PoE2 campaign?

I mean it sucks that your stuff got cut Chris, it really did, but that was a while ago
They asked him and he said no. His Facebook post from the day of his resignation, while oblique, pointed to a cumulative bitterness against having his ideas quashed. I suppose when they finally got their own property he was just expecting to be able to go hog wild. But there were budgetary concerns, and probably creative ones also.

The Armored Warfare layoffs were planned and didn't affect any of Obsidian's projects.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

3Romeo posted:

I'm sure something like this has probably already been decided in the PoE 2 working groups, but hey, if you're still looking for suggestions, any chance we can get:

My latest run I turned off all the voices and I found the game much more enjoyable - not because the voice acting is terrible (Eder :3:) but because it was hard to listen and read at the same time.

I am hoping at minimum there is a stretch goal to at least fully voice the critical path and maybe another one for the companions and their quests. It was really kind of annoying how sporadic the VO could be in Pillars.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Dammit, was hoping for a bloodlines sequel by obsidian.
Keep waiting

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Stuff the voice acting, personally I hope more significant NPCs get portraits. It's a real shame that Adaryc or Lady Webb or the duc never got one.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like voice acting but I'm also a bit impatient when reading masses of dialogue so I guess partial VAing is my preference. Sitting there trying to listen to the full voice acting for 8 different dialogue trees when talking to a party member is exhausting and I've kinda stopped doing it in games even if the VA is good.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I couldn't care less if they removed all the voiceacting in the game but that's not gonna happen. I do hope that they consider using another company for providing the voiceacting. Tyranny's VA was extremely bad I thought and while PoE's is a bit better, it's still not what I would call good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Problems with Poe 1 I hope are fixed in sequel:

1) no talking dog companion with magic dog items

2) can't dual wield pistols

3) at the top end of the game guns are deprecated due to irreducible reload time

4) the story was more interesting than compelling. Not bad, but there was little sense or urgency. Much like the second dragon age, where I just stopped playing once I got the house, there was a lot of "why am I doing this" to most of the side quests - no over all sense or urgency, not even BG2's drive to raise cash to save Imoen.

5) stronghold ties you down. Is your new stronghold your ship? That would be awesome. Cannons!

6) game was too drat long. Does anyone actually bother to do all the twin elms quests?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I did all those quests. The baby I stole better carry over.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't think I've ever done everything in Twin Elms. The problem is I max out on my level often long before getting there so there's no incentive to do them other than personal satisfaction I guess.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

So, uh, speaking of kickstarter RPGs, I just saw this on twitter and I'm still on some level thinking it's an elaborate hoax or a two month early April fool's joke.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

I felt that the voice acting was somewhat at odds with their novelistic (?) approach to writing interactions in PoE 1, so I'd prefer either fewer lines voiced per text-block or less descriptive text, though I wouldn't want to do completely without either.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Scent of Worf posted:

Any news about combat changes in the sequel? PoE1 was a bit much for me. Way too much micromanaging. I liked it better in the old IE games where you didn't have to micromanage so much.

Torment is looking amazing btw. Probably the only RPG I'll play this year.
No official news yet. We know from ropekid's posting in the previous thread that the slow speed may become the new default speed for combat and spells will be getting a lot of needed changes, and the graphics engine upgrades may help with clarifying all the visuals from spells.

I wouldn't expect a panacea but I believe too much micromanaging/information overload was a complaint they took seriously over PoE1. Party AI was introduced and patched a million times and a lot of tooltip adjustments were made to help people.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
From what i understand voice acting is super expensive, so unless you are a AAA game you are going to have to cut large parts of the game if you want it to be fully voice acted.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Plus it would pretty much rule out patching in quests and characters like Obsidian did with the stronghold.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Rascyc posted:

I wouldn't expect a panacea but I believe too much micromanaging/information overload was a complaint they took seriously over PoE1. Party AI was introduced and patched a million times and a lot of tooltip adjustments were made to help people.

I haven't played POE since before the first expansion was released, how good did the party AI get? I got really tired of trying to control so many party members and having previously played Dragon Age Origins I was very disappointed when POE didn't have a similar scripting system. Something where the trash mobs were pretty much just autopilot but you had the option to micromanage more if you ran into something tough.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I think the AI patched in 3.0 was good enough to not screw up if you left it alone, but not good enough to win fights for you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bongwizzard posted:

Direct sequel is lame as gently caress but so long as nothing from Tyranny bleeds into it, day one but for sure.

Well one hopes it at least runs as well as Tyranny. Our laptops are both 3-4 years old and Tyranny runs smooth as butter all the time whereas PoE often chugs if there are too many nameplates or spell effects.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I wonder if Aloth will still be dead if I import my save.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

peer posted:

A lot of "gamers" also hate Schafer because he was strongly anti-gamergate

i thought people hated him because he has no idea how to handle money, doesnt deliver what he promises, and doesnt pay people who work for him

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

TomViolence posted:

So, uh, speaking of kickstarter RPGs, I just saw this on twitter and I'm still on some level thinking it's an elaborate hoax or a two month early April fool's joke.

i hope its a joke, otherwise poor rope kid

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Under the vegetable posted:

i thought people hated him because he has no idea how to handle money, doesnt deliver what he promises, and doesnt pay people who work for him

Well, well. Gamergater detected.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There was this bug in the PoE beta which let you wield a pistol + shield and it was awesome, I want that back.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

3) at the top end of the game guns are deprecated due to irreducible reload time

Also, no soulbound guns at all. An error. I'm in the middle (just going to the White March with all the base content done) of a run with an aquebusier Bleak Walker Aumaua, and she basically gets two shots off in the entire fight, even with the gunner perk. I've ended up speccing her to basically act as a sniper, to try and take out one enemy each with each shot, but I'm still not sure it makes up for the relative weakness of guns. It's a cool enough concept that I don't really mind, but the rest of the party's definitely carrying me.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

3Romeo posted:

They've really upgraded the engine from playing Tyranny, so there's a lot of colorization in the text now. "action" text would pop a lot better in PoE2 so I'm fine with it. As for fully voice acting, please no. It's cost prohibitive, would reduce the overall text in the game and would likely cause a lot of delays for re-work/finalization. Just say No to full voice acting.

On the other hand, the villain needs to show up a little bit more than once in a blue moon. And he (or she) should get lots of voice acting. Plus other important, notable characters.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CottonWolf posted:

Also, no soulbound guns at all. An error. I'm in the middle (just going to the White March with all the base content done) of a run with an aquebusier Bleak Walker Aumaua, and she basically gets two shots off in the entire fight, even with the gunner perk. I've ended up speccing her to basically act as a sniper, to try and take out one enemy each with each shot, but I'm still not sure it makes up for the relative weakness of guns. It's a cool enough concept that I don't really mind, but the rest of the party's definitely carrying me.

Yeah even Rangers with their -reload stance and a friendly chanter giving the reload buff are still too slow to use guns as anything but alpha strike weapons.

Doesn't help Powder Burn is terrible especially compared to twin shot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Under the vegetable posted:

i hope its a joke, otherwise poor rope kid

There's almost no way it's going to reach $900k in a month, but I'll be the guy who is legitimately interested in the finished product if it does. Josh being attached gives me the tiniest sliver of hope.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln_plWALAoI

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Looks like the returning companions are Pallegina, Eder, and Aloth, based on the minis anyway.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

wow, the characters look lightyears better

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So what are we actually kickstarting here?

There isn't even a "we are also using our own funds, but even bigger!" quote in there. They seem to outright state they have enough for the game.

The only thing I can see is that they are figging for the French and German translations? And multiclassing?

ropekid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OK cool I backed this game now to try to forget it exists for the next 4 years or however long it takes them to make it.

• Locked thread