Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Episode 7? I'm drawing a blank on how it was particularly miserable

Mother and Father were not the Baudelaire parents despite the show hinting that they were.

[Edit: whoooooops that's now how you spoiler tag]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

precision posted:

Episode 7? I'm drawing a blank on how it was particularly miserable

I'm watching Zoo while laid up after another tooth surgery and hahaha

"What are bats doing in Antarctica?"
"Covering the solar panels"

This show is amazing

lelandjs posted:

Mother and Father were not the Baudelaire parents despite the show hinting that they were.

Oh right, I thought that wasn't revealed until episode 8. I watched the last 4 episodes all in a row so they kinda blurred together in the sideplots.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
RIP Mary Tyler Moore :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Awful news. What a goddamn trailblazer.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rocksicles posted:

The British version is way better anyway.

Yep, but even in the British version everything past season one is pure poo poo so I can't say I blame Amazon for turning down whatever they were selling.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

Yep, but even in the British version everything past season one is pure poo poo so I can't say I blame Amazon for turning down whatever they were selling.

Whilst I've never seen the British version, Season 1 of the US version was pretty loving cool.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've seen talk about the new Amazon shows that were picked up in the pilot season being The Tick and some other show with the work Dick in it, but haven't seen anything on the Van Damme show that everyone found hilarious and amazing. Did they pass on it or is it still in the works?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jean-Clause Van Johnson was also picked up for series.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Looten Plunder posted:

I've seen talk about the new Amazon shows that were picked up in the pilot season being The Tick and some other show with the work Dick in it, but haven't seen anything on the Van Damme show that everyone found hilarious and amazing. Did they pass on it or is it still in the works?

It's going forward because Amazon knows what the gently caress is up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Awesome, I can't watch any TV tonight because my feed is constantly jumping around.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Jean-Clause Van Johnson was also picked up for series.

Fuckin awesome.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This is the first week that I preferred Always Sunny to Man Seeking Woman, but it's still comfortably in "watch it" status. Hopefully there's a next season for it so someone can make a thread about it.

Mu Zeta posted:

No one will remember La La Land in 6 months.
But it's going to win Best Picture because Academy voters love themselves more than anything else. It's why Birdman and The Artist (that's the name of the silent film with John Goodman and the dog, right?) won the years they were nominated. poo poo, I prefer biopics as Oscar bait over that ego-stroking crap, even though I hear that La La Land is actually good.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Academy awards go to movies that are:
1. About Los Angeles
2. About making movies or show business
3. Set in Los Angeles
4. Really make you think
5. About the Holocaust

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 26, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Hey the Oscars are on TV right? gently caress the Oscars for not nominating Sing Street for anything. "Drive It Like You Stole It" is a fantastic song and better than whatever trash heap Justin Timberlake wrote for Trolls. No one will remember La La Land in 6 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuWTcmjnEGY

Thanks for mentioning this movie. I hadn't even heard about it before and it was really good.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Catching up to the last few episodes of the Americans Season 4 and I'm surprised that there's another season coming this year.Phil and Elizabeth seem to be so weary and burdened this season that I can't help wish that they'd get a happy ending full of rest and no espionage.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Thanks for mentioning this movie. I hadn't even heard about it before and it was really good.

Hell yeah! Also check out ONCE by the same director.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

get that OUT of my face posted:

But it's going to win Best Picture because Academy voters love themselves more than anything else. It's why Birdman and The Artist (that's the name of the silent film with John Goodman and the dog, right?) won the years they were nominated. poo poo, I prefer biopics as Oscar bait over that ego-stroking crap, even though I hear that La La Land is actually good.

Man Birdman was a drat masterpiece of design, and its main competition as a movie whose main qualification was that it took 12 years to make.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

Hell yeah! Also check out ONCE by the same director.

Said director, John Carney, also did BEGIN AGAIN, with Mark Ruffalo and Keira Knightley. It might be a little on the twee side for some people ("LET'S RECORD THE ENTIRE ALBUM OUTDOORS! THE CITY IS OUR BACKDROP!"), but it's still goddamn great in its own way. Ruffalo is loving awesome in it. The movie should be on Netflix.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Been meaning to see that. It was funny when Carney got in trouble for talking poo poo about Knightley in an interview lol

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

Been meaning to see that. It was funny when Carney got in trouble for talking poo poo about Knightley in an interview lol

Yeah, I still don't know what loving movie he thinks he directed because Knightley seemed just as game as the rest of the cast. Maybe it was like pulling teeth, I don't know, but it was funny how everyone jumped right to her defense as soon as he started talking poo poo. For some reason I'll never forget that, in reference to her having an "entourage," somebody who worked with her tweeted "I think Keira's mom came to set once. She was cool."

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

TV Zombie posted:

Catching up to the last few episodes of the Americans Season 4 and I'm surprised that there's another season coming this year.Phil and Elizabeth seem to be so weary and burdened this season that I can't help wish that they'd get a happy ending full of rest and no espionage.

It was renewed not just for season 5 but a final season 6 too, so they can close the story out the way they want.

FX has been a champ sticking with The Americans despite it never having the ratings or awards recognition it deserves. Season 4 was fantastic.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Keri Russell's skull looking it was about to explode last year made for remarkable TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFF4df2V8J4

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

As much as Adam Levine's character wrongs Keira's in the movie, its hard not to go 'look at Adam Levine, he is obv a star. Let him shine'.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tortolia posted:

It was renewed not just for season 5 but a final season 6 too, so they can close the story out the way they want.

FX has been a champ sticking with The Americans despite it never having the ratings or awards recognition it deserves. Season 4 was fantastic.

I'm told, apparently Amerikee doesn't like Russians.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Academy awards go to movies that are:
1. About Los Angeles
2. About making movies or show business
3. Set in Los Angeles
4. Really make you think
5. About the Holocaust

6. A petty "gently caress You" to better movies/directors

Suck a dick hurt locker.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Pettiness, I can get behind, much more so than self-fellation. Pettiness at least has you sucking someone else's dick, even if it's just to piss off your ex.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DivisionPost posted:

Said director, John Carney, also did BEGIN AGAIN, with Mark Ruffalo and Keira Knightley. It might be a little on the twee side for some people ("LET'S RECORD THE ENTIRE ALBUM OUTDOORS! THE CITY IS OUR BACKDROP!"), but it's still goddamn great in its own way. Ruffalo is loving awesome in it. The movie should be on Netflix.

Begin Again is so terrible in every way. Music sucks, keira sucks, and what kind of rapper is named trouble gum. Just watch the music video for Take a Step its the only good scene.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Once is the movie from his oevre (sp?) that you need to see. It's so good.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shageletic posted:

Once is the movie from his oevre (sp?) that you need to see. It's so good.

Oh, I saw Once, it's loving incredible. I'm just saying, Begin Again might also be worth your time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

Suck a dick hurt locker.

Well I'm glad someone else finally said it.

e: Begin Again is the kind of movie I really like but have a hard time recommending because it is, indeed, twee as gently caress.

e2: Whatever happened to Twee As gently caress? It always mystified me why such an acerbic/bad poster had a name based off the least acerbic musical genres that exists (even the passive-aggressiveness of "The Boy With the Arab Strap" comes off more cute than legitimately throwing shade)

precision fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 26, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

e2: Whatever happened to Twee As gently caress? It always mystified me why such an acerbic/bad poster had a name based off the least acerbic musical genres that exists (even the passive-aggressiveness of "The Boy With the Arab Strap" comes off more cute than legitimately throwing shade)

He lost his mind and got permabanned, I forget what for.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

He lost his mind and got permabanned, I forget what for.

He was permabanned for this post https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622001&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post427814351
But he was also banned again 4 months later for this post https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642132&pagenumber=66&perpage=40#post433057196

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He got banned for saying what's now central to Lowtax's New Deal.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's weird watching this kind of thing now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

So "weird" means "makes me want to commit suicide" now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the end, he didn't go down the hall and to the left.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I imagine this is what most people felt like when they saw Reagan films and he was in office. I think I saw one of them on tv in a public access oldies station and was confused for two seconds before remembering.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Gonz posted:

Keri Russell's skull looking it was about to explode last year made for remarkable TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFF4df2V8J4

I was legitimately worried about Keri Russell's blood pressure in that scene because channeling that much indignant rage made it look like her head was going to pull a Scanners.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pan Dulce posted:

I imagine this is what most people felt like when they saw Reagan films and he was in office. I think I saw one of them on tv in a public access oldies station and was confused for two seconds before remembering.

DID YOUR PRECIOUS REAGAN EVER DO THIS THOUGH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUnVDs7PmLk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
For anyone with morbid curiosity Riverdale premiers tonight on the CW.

I just find the whole thing baffling.

• Locked thread