Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

haha they replaced last game's 'create an npc' with 'name a spell'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Only a year apparently.

Rookersh posted:

So what are we actually kickstarting here?

There isn't even a "we are also using our own funds, but even bigger!" quote in there. They seem to outright state they have enough for the game.

The only thing I can see is that they are figging for the French and German translations? And multiclassing?

ropekid?

Plus stretchgoals.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I wonder how long it'll take for someone to realize the "Odd Nua" typo on the $200 image.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Man for some reason I could never get past the first act of Pillars 1, and even then that was only on my "kill everyone I possibly can to see if I can" run. Something about the setting or the style just didn't click with me, I couldn't get a handle on the "like traditional fantasy, but different" thing going.

I loved Tyranny, though, and I'm still up for Pillars 2 anyway if only in the hopes that it'll get me to actually finish Pillars 1! Worst case scenario, I love the character portraits from Pillars and use them whenever I roleplay so hey at least there'll be more of those.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Also "Guidbook" rather than Guidebook. Same tier. Paging ropekid!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thumbs up to the graphical upgrade. This game looks absolutely jaw-dropping.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is Eothas considered a bad guy for destroying the Stronghold? I always hated that thing.

Since I now have a PC with an SSD I can finally beat the White March, as the load times were excruciating before then.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 26, 2017

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Stupid backer stupidly rebacking again...

hmm, 93k already.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
So much for swearing off crowd funding...

Pretty. Can't resist.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is Eothas considered a bad guy for destroying the Stronghold? I always hated that thing.

your driven to track him down because you just really wanted to thank him for the favor

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Welp, pledged.

rope kid I'll pledge more if you tell me I can play as an avian godlike

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'll pledge more if there's another Ribsmasher cameo appearance.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The fact that only some companions are returning, that your soul might be trapped in the giant somehow and that they say Eothas wakes up and tears your stronghold apart makes me think they're going to kill all but three of your companions.

But what about if you made your own party, Obsidian? What then?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Rookersh posted:

So what are we actually kickstarting here?

There isn't even a "we are also using our own funds, but even bigger!" quote in there. They seem to outright state they have enough for the game.

The only thing I can see is that they are figging for the French and German translations? And multiclassing?

ropekid?

They want to make a bigger game. A bigger game requires more time. More time requires more money. Money is a legally recognized unit of value that is used to trade for goods and services. Because, you see, game development is what we call a "job". You can't just go to the grocery store and take food (things you eat to survive), the owners of the food require compensation, in the form of value (money). So developers must do this "job", fueled not by the adoration of the people who play their games but by the value (money) they are given in exchange for their efforts, measured over time. Hope that helps

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Dolash posted:

The fact that only some companions are returning, that your soul might be trapped in the giant somehow and that they say Eothas wakes up and tears your stronghold apart makes me think they're going to kill all but three of your companions.

But what about if you made your own party, Obsidian? What then?
In the ending slides most of your companions wander off it's not too hard to just have them not in the area when the rock biter tears loose.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

CottonWolf posted:

Only a year apparently.

Whaaat. I thought I was being optimistic hoping for eighteen months. Twelve is crazy good.

The new character models :eyepop:

I'm not a hundred percent sold on multiclassing. The great strength of a class system- especially in a heavily tactical game like this- is strongly defined party roles and niche protection. The more classes you have, the harder that is to pull off. With eleven classes the design space was already feeling a little crowded; I'm just a tad worried that if you allow multiclassing into the mix things are going to start to get a bit mushy.

Though if there's anyone who could make it work, it'd be ropekid.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I'm full mast for Deadfire, that sounds way more interesting to me than the Vailian Republics would have been, I'm super psyched that my best bro Edér is coming back, Pallegina is cool too, Aloth can come along for the ride, and I'm optimistic about the idea of continuing to play as the Watcher. Throwin' money at dis.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also please tell me PoE2 is going to just outright steal the Conquest thing from Tyranny and use it to simulate a save import for players who don't have a save to import and/or for doing a playthrough with choices you don't have a save for from PoE1.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

Whaaat. I thought I was being optimistic hoping for eighteen months. Twelve is crazy good.

The new character models :eyepop:

I'm not a hundred percent sold on multiclassing. The great strength of a class system- especially in a heavily tactical game like this- is strongly defined party roles and niche protection. The more classes you have, the harder that is to pull off. With eleven classes the design space was already feeling a little crowded; I'm just a tad worried that if you allow multiclassing into the mix things are going to start to get a bit mushy.

Though if there's anyone who could make it work, it'd be ropekid.

Considering the almost off-hand release Tyranny it looks like they've managed to streamline the process needed to create this type of game pretty well.

Not to say that they won't be putting it a lot of work and use any resources offered to push the content and tech but they do seem to have managed to get things pretty nailed down.

[edit] That said I fully expect a few months delay should scope expand based on funding available.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Bear in mind that date assumes they meet the $1.1 million goal. If they exceed it (and they're more than 10% there after half an hour so it's not unlikely they will) that'll probably mean it takes longer.

Edit: I guess the "long journey" mentioned at the end of Pillars 1 was the journey back to Caed Nua to put your feet up and relax.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Harrow posted:

Also please tell me PoE2 is going to just outright steal the Conquest thing from Tyranny and use it to simulate a save import for players who don't have a save to import and/or for doing a playthrough with choices you don't have a save for from PoE1.

That sounds more like the Dragon Age Keep, which if I'm remembering right was a website and let you set all the fiddly little "were you nice to random NPC #12" things if you wanted.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dolash posted:

That sounds more like the Dragon Age Keep, which if I'm remembering right was a website and let you set all the fiddly little "were you nice to random NPC #12" things if you wanted.

Yeah, Dragon Age Keep is fantastic. I just figured I'd refer to Conquest instead because it's another Obsidian thing and could be used for simulating a PoE1 game save just as much as a character backstory in Tyranny. Something on a website like the Keep would be great, too.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dolash posted:

Um no that is not allowed Sagani is my BFF and they can't kill her, although having her unavailable because she's gone back to her family after having completed her quest is acceptable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm guessing the "your soul gets sucked out by the huge Eothas statue" thing is going to be a great justification for starting PoE2 at level 1, so they don't have to start you out as a dragon-slaying max-level beast and try to grow from there. It'd be easy enough to justify lower levels for returning companions as them being out of practice, too.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Holy poo poo the models and effects look so much better. That anima golem throwing the dude on the ground looked vicious :eyepop:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

Um no that is not allowed Sagani is my BFF and they can't kill her, although having her unavailable because she's gone back to her family after having completed her quest is acceptable.

I second that motion.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
grieving mother died on the way back to her home planet

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
well done on the carefully placed jungs red book in the background

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Here are some things I need to do:

1) Formulate an archmage concept and spell effect

2) come up with about $620 worth of extra cash within the next month

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Jealous.

Harrow posted:

I'm guessing the "your soul gets sucked out by the huge Eothas statue" thing is going to be a great justification for starting PoE2 at level 1, so they don't have to start you out as a dragon-slaying max-level beast and try to grow from there. It'd be easy enough to justify lower levels for returning companions as them being out of practice, too.

Presumably the whole system's getting redone if they're adding multiclassing anyway, so going back to level 1 seems like it would be necessary. Unless it only kicks in at a set level.

2house2fly posted:

I guess the "long journey" mentioned at the end of Pillars 1 was the journey back to Caed Nua to put your feet up and relax.

Well, you have an orlan baby to raise. It's the metaphorical longest journey. Vela better not be killed in Caed Nua. Don't do it ropekid, don't be a monster!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

179 dollars pledged, just moments before the site crashed from so many users pledging at once. I don't think Fig was built to handle an actual popular product.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Multi-classing is gonna make poo poo crazy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Better be a goddam monkey island somewhere in this thing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

I'm the guy who literally doesn't give a gently caress what the explanation is because I don't wanna spend the whole game so powerful that it takes a room full of Beholders to get me hard

Also I kinda hate getting to high levels with Vancian spellcasting because choice paralysis is real and it sucks bad.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Fig only accepts credit cards, right? So us not-credit-card-havers will have to hope that there's going to be some paypal thing or whatever after the Fig campaign is done?

I'm not a hundred percent sold on multiclassing. The great strength of a class system- especially in a heavily tactical game like this- is strongly defined party roles and niche protection.
I'm be more worried about balance. I'm honestly struggling to come up with an example of multiclassing where the multi-classed result wasn't either overpowered, or underwhelming.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

20% in an hour's pretty good!

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Problems with Poe 1 I hope are fixed in sequel:

1) no talking dog companion with magic dog items

2) can't dual wield pistols

3) at the top end of the game guns are deprecated due to irreducible reload time

4) the story was more interesting than compelling. Not bad, but there was little sense or urgency. Much like the second dragon age, where I just stopped playing once I got the house, there was a lot of "why am I doing this" to most of the side quests - no over all sense or urgency, not even BG2's drive to raise cash to save Imoen.

5) stronghold ties you down. Is your new stronghold your ship? That would be awesome. Cannons!

6) game was too drat long. Does anyone actually bother to do all the twin elms quests?

I agree with this, especially the story being more interesting than compelling. I remember really liking a lot of the god stuff when you eventually get to it near the end of the game but most of the plot wasn't very propulsive. Whereas Tyranny has an immediate momentum that, aside from a bit of the second act, it maintained all the way. I'd also like it to be a bit shorter than PoE1. I'll do another playthrough before the game comes out to remember what the hell happened but the length of the game is why I haven't gone back otherwise. Well, that and getting a job since PoE 1 came out.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

precision posted:

I'm the guy who literally doesn't give a gently caress what the explanation is because I don't wanna spend the whole game so powerful that it takes a room full of Beholders to get me hard

Same. I stubbed my toe and now I'm level 1, whatever. People don't actually care about starting over at level 1 or with all their equipment from the previous game taken away, it certainly didn't stop people jizzing over Witcher 3.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's amusing how in BG2 a load of your allies from BG1 die without any drama and sometimes offscreen: Ajantis, Tiax, Dynaheir, Xzar, Montaron, Khalid, Faldorn, and Safana all get the boot in such a manner you'd think the writers hated them. I wonder how they will write out previous party members in Pillars 2: "What ever happened to Durance?" "He... got scurvy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

Yeah, I don't really care much what the explanation is, but "Eothas sucked all the power out of your soul" is a pretty easy one to go with in this case.

2house2fly posted:

Same. I stubbed my toe and now I'm level 1, whatever. People don't actually care about starting over at level 1 or with all their equipment from the previous game taken away, it certainly didn't stop people jizzing over Witcher 3.

It's a little different with the Witcher games, I think. Each one has a notably different combat system, and after you spend the first one gathering all your signs, you keep them going into 2 and 3 (just upgrading them as you go). The big mechanical changes and the fact that Geralt doesn't magically forget how to cast signs in between smooths it over. The Witcher 3 also has a huge numerical jump over 2. You should end The Witcher 2 with like 700ish health, and you start The Witcher 3 with a couple thousand.

That said, it really isn't a huge deal regardless what the explanation is, so long as the explanation isn't patronizing (hello, Metroid: Other M).

• Locked thread