Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's amusing how in BG2 a load of your allies from BG1 die without any drama and sometimes offscreen: Ajantis, Tiax, Dynaheir, Xzar, Montaron, Khalid, Faldorn, and Safana all get the boot in such a manner you'd think the writers hated them. I wonder how they will write out previous party members in Pillars 2: "What ever happened to Durance?" "He... got scurvy."

Most of the companions' ending slides include some bit about, "They wandered off to do X," or, "They died," so it's pretty easy to explain the absence of the majority of the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

Most of the companions' ending slides include some bit about, "They wandered off to do X," or, "They died," so it's pretty easy to explain the absence of the majority of the cast.

Yeah, it shouldn't be hard to justify some companions returning and others not. Some of them want to come along to Deadfire or ended up there on their own and just cross paths with you again, others are off doing their own thing elsewhere, maybe they'll show up in PoE3, maybe they're content to go their separate ways completely.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Bioware wrote themselves in into a corner when they followed up the dirty dozen of ME2 with the leftovers from ME1, a hunk of meat who isn't an alien, a hunk of meat who is an alien but also DLC, and a Sexbot.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Pretty relieved they're starting over from Level 1 - good chance they can rejig the system as a whole then.

Raygereio posted:

I'm be more worried about balance. I'm honestly struggling to come up with an example of multiclassing where the multi-classed result wasn't either overpowered, or underwhelming.

I think the only way multiclassing can work is by trading class features - swap sneak attack for spell levels or Faith & Conviction for Carnage. D&D's pseudo-point buy just doesn't work at all.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well I just pledged for the 150$ option :toot:.

I'm pretty confident this will be at worst as good as Pillars 1 (which I loved) and at best will blow that away. Obsidian never lets me down.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah I love the idea of multiclassing, in theory, but there's a lot of weird knock on effects because of how PoE handled power spikes.

Like will dipping Ranger be a no brainer as you get a pet or will the pet scale heavily with Ranger level meaning it'd be near useless and Rangers would gimp themselves by going out of type?

Low level Cipher and priest dipping seems like a no brainer for most classes too considering how insane their low level abilities are etc.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm still curious to see what happens if you have Eder, Aloth, and Pallegina die in the first game. Guess that's as good an excuse as any to do another playthrough.

Zore posted:

Yeah I love the idea of multiclassing, in theory, but there's a lot of weird knock on effects because of how PoE handled power spikes.

Like will dipping Ranger be a no brainer as you get a pet or will the pet scale heavily with Ranger level meaning it'd be near useless and Rangers would gimp themselves by going out of type?

I imagine multiclassing will be more about picking talents/abilities available to a specific class rather than outright inheriting said class' properties in every respect. Otherwise, Barbarian/Rogue would be insane.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
So what's the over/under on making a rifle/pistol Paladin? I might be barking up the wrong tree, but I'm thinking a Kind Wayfarer with an Arquebus to turn enemies into health explosions. Focus on MIG/INT for better healing / Zealous Focus radius, some DEX and PER for being able to hit the broad side of a barn more than once a year?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lt. Danger posted:

I think the only way multiclassing can work is by trading class features - swap sneak attack for spell levels or Faith & Conviction for Carnage. D&D's pseudo-point buy just doesn't work at all.

Yeah, unless they turn pseudo-classless for this, I don't really see how it'll work. I've never seen a multi-classing system that doesn't become a minefield of traps and combinations so powerful as to make the entire game trivial. We'll see what ropekid comes up with though, as there's basically no chance this doesn't fund now.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Thank the Lord that there are no backer characters anymore.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lt. Danger posted:

The only way d&d style (third edition+) multiclassing works is with prestige classes because doing like a level 5 rogue/5 cleric just makes you really lovely at both in those games and would likely have the same effect here if they followed suit.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Zeerust posted:

So what's the over/under on making a rifle/pistol Paladin? I might be barking up the wrong tree, but I'm thinking a Kind Wayfarer with an Arquebus to turn enemies into health explosions. Focus on MIG/INT for better healing / Zealous Focus radius, some DEX and PER for being able to hit the broad side of a barn more than once a year?

I really recommend going Bleak Walker with a blunderbuss. Basically you're the T-800 of the Dyrwood.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Oh wait no the site is up the problem was on my end. Oh well! They've gotten pretty far already, but I'm hoping for more real soon.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Zeerust posted:

I've been playing a gun-Paladin recently. You're right. You definitely want high MIG, as you're going to be slow, so when you do hit, you want to hit hard. INT for your auras, as you say. Then I'd forget DEX and put the rest into PER, again to make your irregular shots count.

I pumped RES for RP reasons, but that's sub-optimal.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 26, 2017

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I like that they specifically called out faster load times in the video.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Raygereio posted:

I'm be more worried about balance. I'm honestly struggling to come up with an example of multiclassing where the multi-classed result wasn't either overpowered, or underwhelming.
did somebody say balance

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I liked the pseudo-multiclassing of PoE1 via those talents that gave you a little taste of another class, even if some of them were far more valuable than others (apprentice backstab ahoy!).

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

rope kid posted:

did somebody say balance

gently caress, you summoned him, come on quick someone sacrifice a 16th century mosaic or we're all going to have to listen to really interesting commentary.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fuligin posted:

I liked the pseudo-multiclassing of PoE1 via those talents that gave you a little taste of another class, even if some of them were far more valuable than others (apprentice backstab ahoy!).

I only ever found much use for the rogue one, yeah. In principle, that was a good idea, but it's not really what you imagine coming out the other side when you're running a crowdfunding campaign (ostensibly) to add multiclassing.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Many congratulations and best wishes rope kid and Obsidian as a whole!

I saw only German and French translation on that crowdfund website. I would LOVE to do the Spanish (I'm Peruvian but we have a Spanish guy on our studio so you could have both Latin American and Spain Spanish) Translation, where should I apply for that job?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
It's probably not worth an extra $15 for a second in-game item and pet, although I really liked the guidebook from the first game. I assume the pet will be purely cosmetic like the little crystal pig or whatever it was from the first game?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Better be a goddam monkey island somewhere in this thing

The Monkey Island easter egg in Uncharted 4 tickled me funny, here's hoping one makes it into this game. Maybe, if the ship is your stronghold and upgradable, the cannons get a satellite sonar gamestick upgrade like in Curse.

And holy balls the tech sure got better. A massive leap in character and effect details. The backgrounds look as good as ever.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

rope kid posted:

did somebody say balance

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Tell us about the balance, rope kid. What is your grand multiclassing design?!?!

You know you want to. It's announced now, you don't need to talk around it any more.

Also your kickfigstarter is going really well! Congrats!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

rope kid posted:

did somebody say balance

gently caress you bring back pre-nerf Amplified Wave :qq:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Has Big Head mode been cut in the name of balance?!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I have high expectations for this.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Has Big Head mode been cut in the name of balance?!

big foot mode

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
2 hours in and 300k past, nice.

Hope you guys don't have to come in over the weekend scrambling to think up stretch goals this time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I believe you want to it to balance a few inches above the hilt.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Cipher Rogue multiclassing? :unsmigghh:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

frajaq posted:

gently caress you bring back pre-nerf Amplified Wave :qq:

Upvote if you remember when you could kill endgame bosses with a Level 1 per-encounter spell !!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

They want to make a bigger game. A bigger game requires more time. More time requires more money. Money is a legally recognized unit of value that is used to trade for goods and services. Because, you see, game development is what we call a "job". You can't just go to the grocery store and take food (things you eat to survive), the owners of the food require compensation, in the form of value (money). So developers must do this "job", fueled not by the adoration of the people who play their games but by the value (money) they are given in exchange for their efforts, measured over time. Hope that helps

Cool post!

Except the entire fig pitch says they have more then enough for the game and all the ideas they have thanks to Pillars of Eternities sales.

That the only thing this is for is to get a preorder in early, for fig investors to make some cash, and try to justify fig more. That the only thing this gets us gamewise is some translations, plus the ability to multiclass.

Don't get me wrong. I bet $29 is a great preorder price. And there might be some cool stretch goals. But if this is for anything other then funding translations/multiclassing Obsidian really needs to make it clearer.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

quote:

“In Pillars 1, we dropped the factions at the end of Act 2, and so [players] didn't really feel like their choices were super significant,” admits Sawyer. “Something that I think Tyranny did much better, and something that we want to do for Pillars II, is really establish the factions much more clearly - give the player clearer choices, and let them know when they’re approaching consequences for the choices they made.”

:pray: yes thank you

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

This is what I want right here.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm preemptively declaring this broken.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Rookersh posted:

Cool post!

Except the entire fig pitch says they have more then enough for the game and all the ideas they have thanks to Pillars of Eternities sales.
The world doesn't have enough money for all of a game development team's ideas.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rookersh posted:

Cool post!

That the only thing this is for is to get a preorder in early, for fig investors to make some cash, and try to justify fig more. That the only thing this gets us gamewise is some translations, plus the ability to multiclass.

Don't get me wrong. I bet $29 is a great preorder price. And there might be some cool stretch goals. But if this is for anything other then funding translations/multiclassing Obsidian really needs to make it clearer.

It gets me a map

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I really wish I had 5 grand to drop on the inn. Of course Ropekid and his devs would want to beat me with a sack of hammers because I'd want the dumbest inn possible. I guess that's why they put the restrictions part in quite clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ginette Reno posted:

I really wish I had 5 grand to drop on the inn. Of course Ropekid and his devs would want to beat me with a sack of hammers because I'd want the dumbest inn possible. I guess that's why they put the restrictions part in quite clearly.

If I were going that route, I'd own an island or HAVE A PIRATE SHIP WITH PIRATES.

Though it seems like you can't actually yet select either of those rewards.

• Locked thread