Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Stoked about this, dropped a $500 pledge so I can immortalize my favorite doggo who died in a really lovely way and I still feel guilty about it

Anyhow PoE was amazing and those guys do great work. Was a bit bummed for the reveal to be a "oh hey we want some crowd funding for this" rather than "hey this will be out this year"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

:neckbeard: Yay! Signed collector's edition here I go (again). Soon I'll have ALL the signatures!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

CottonWolf posted:

I only ever found much use for the rogue one, yeah. In principle, that was a good idea, but it's not really what you imagine coming out the other side when you're running a crowdfunding campaign (ostensibly) to add multiclassing.

The PoE multiclass talents mostly just added some extra versatility. Like, if you wanted your frontliner to be more sturdy, you'd get Veteran's Recovery, if you wanted the character to have a special ranged attack you'd get Prestidigitator's Missiles, etc. Whatever PoE2 ends up with will be far more involved, I imagine.

I guess one way of balancing multiclassing would be to make the best abilities either require a certain level in a class or certain pre-requisite abilities. But then, that's something the first game specifically tried to avoid.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Oh one thing this game is gonna need is a hot chick companion. The writing is too good for any ridiculous romances but if you're looking at the audience, the game could use a Viconia or Morrigan.

That was one thing kind of oddly missing from the first game - and don't bring up grieving mother because nobody wanted to stick it in that cray

edit: actually PoE1 had one, but she dies in the beginning of the game.

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 26, 2017

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm the 3500th backer!

oswald ownenstein posted:

Oh one thing this game is gonna need is a hot chick companion. The writing is too good for any ridiculous romances but if you're looking at the audience, the game could use a Viconia or Morrigan.

That was one thing kind of oddly missing from the first game - and don't bring up grieving mother because nobody wanted to stick it in that cray

Yeah that dwarf animancer was hot as hell.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

You mean like literally Rihanna?

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Iselmyr.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You mean like literally Rihanna?

The 3 million goal is Beyoncé voice acting one of the companions.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Looks like they decided to double down on everything that was sleep inducing boring from the first game. Even going so far to return the pedentic-philosopher protaganist, along with his boring henchmen whom have no personality or character motivation and just exist to agree and follow every whim / whatever the protaganist does and says like some lifeless automatons. The writing and presentation of the first game was sandpaper dry with everyone speaking like a walking encyclopedia. Truly gives you the impression that the characters were written by a bunch of shut-in nerds whom have no idea about how people talk and interact in real life. I am sorry for rambling but poe was such a dissapointment that I do not see myself backing this one.

Savy Saracen salad fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 26, 2017

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Looks like they decided to double down on everything that was sleep inducing boring from the first game. Even going so far to return the pedentic-philosopher protaganist, along with his boring henchmen whom have no personality or chatacter motivation and just exist to agree and follow whatever the protaganist does and says like some lifeless automatons. The writing and presentation of the first game was sandpaper dry with everyone speaking like a walking encyclopedia. Truly gives you the impression that the characters were written by a bunch of shut-in nerds whom have no idea about people talk and interact in real life. I am sorry for rambling but poe was such a dissapointment that i do not see myself backing this one.

Careful you don't cut yourself on that edge, friend.

Super stoked myself, can't wait to return to the PoE world! On a boat!!

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

As long as she's cunty

The whole cast could do with some cuntiness though tbh - BG2 had a sillier storyline but still had companions with flaws - the pillars characters are a too good natured

Member Anomen and How despite being good aligned he was actually kinda evil. The closest we got was Durance.

Edgelord 5000 up above has a point - but baldurs gate 1 was one of the most shallow rpgs ever so I'm hoping PoE2 is like BG2

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Looks like they decided to double down on everything that was sleep inducing boring from the first game. Even going so far to return the pedentic-philosopher protaganist, along with his boring henchmen whom have no personality or character motivation and just exist to agree and follow every whim / whatever the protaganist does and says like some lifeless automatons. The writing and presentation of the first game was sandpaper dry with everyone speaking like a walking encyclopedia. Truly gives you the impression that the characters were written by a bunch of shut-in nerds whom have no idea about people talk and interact in real life. I am sorry for rambling but poe was such a dissapointment that i do not see myself backing this one.

So you're not going to make a pirate ship pledge? :(

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Savy Saracen would be a pretty great name for a pirate king. Not sure about the salad, though.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
Pledged. Really looking forward to this so I can play a drunk chanter pirate singing bawdy songs while shooting people with dual-wield pistols. Incidentally, also looking forward to season 4 of Black Sails!

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Looks like they decided to double down on everything that was sleep inducing boring from the first game. Even going so far to return the pedentic-philosopher protaganist, along with his boring henchmen whom have no personality or character motivation and just exist to agree and follow every whim / whatever the protaganist does and says like some lifeless automatons. The writing and presentation of the first game was sandpaper dry with everyone speaking like a walking encyclopedia. Truly gives you the impression that the characters were written by a bunch of shut-in nerds whom have no idea about people talk and interact in real life. I am sorry for rambling but poe was such a dissapointment that i do not see myself backing this one.

you pick the philosopher background for your watcher and u call obsidian the nerds lol

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

God Anomen was a dick. If I remember right you could recruit Keldorn and Anomen into a party together and they will have a dialogue wherein Keldorn basically tells Anomen he is a total pussy and will never be a real Paladin. I think a lot of the BG2 cast is overrated (Jan, Minsc, Aerie and Jaheria in particular) but some of the lesser used NPCs were really good (Mazzy, Keldorn, Anomen). I actually liked the drier NPC's in POE over the more wacky ones (mainly Aloth) or the gimmick one (Grieving Mother). Durance was the standout though by a mile.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Bro there are these things called books, if you really want to read something of quality I suggest checking one out.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

mitochondritom posted:

God Anomen was a dick. If I remember right you could recruit Keldorn and Anomen into a party together and they will have a dialogue wherein Keldorn basically tells Anomen he is a total pussy and will never be a real Paladin. I think a lot of the BG2 cast is overrated (Jan, Minsc, Aerie and Jaheria in particular) but some of the lesser used NPCs were really good (Mazzy, Keldorn, Anomen). I actually liked the drier NPC's in POE over the more wacky ones (mainly Aloth) or the gimmick one (Grieving Mother). Durance was the standout though by a mile.

It wasn't ever overtly stated but Anomen was evil masquerading as good

He was cruel and callous but wanted to be LG for the fame and glory etc

There's a fortune teller in trademeet that says he has blackness in his heart

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Tomorrows Ace posted:

you pick the philosopher background for your watcher and u call obsidian the nerds lol

I did not pick the philosopher background, I picked the raider/bandit background and even then the protaganist talked in a way that was so jarring and bizarre to the selected background that I chose. In any case it does not matter, I know people whom also like me loved all previous obsidian titles but were extremely turned off by the dry writing of POE.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

PoE was dry

BG1 was worse but you're not wrong

It was still a good game with a good story tho - esp white march

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

As long as she's cunty

The whole cast could do with some cuntiness though tbh - BG2 had a sillier storyline but still had companions with flaws - the pillars characters are a too good natured

Member Anomen and How despite being good aligned he was actually kinda evil. The closest we got was Durance.

Edgelord 5000 up above has a point - but baldurs gate 1 was one of the most shallow rpgs ever so I'm hoping PoE2 is like BG2

I kinda agree, but I'm not sure about my position. I mean, in general, conflicted, shades-of-grey characters should be better than flat good or evil ones. But I find whether you look at general popularity or what I loved when I was a teenager playing BG2, the latter tend to appeal more? I mean, characters like Minsc, Edwin or or Viconia are pretty drat popular and not terribly complex. I never felt that Anomen was particularly well-liked in comparison - probably the most commonly complained about party-member together with Aerie. Similarly, in PoE Eder seems to be the most generally popular and goons at least seem to like Sagani and Kana and so on. Meanwhile Durance is one of the most controversial companions and people seem to hate Grieving Mother. And there aren't really any 'evil' ones at all unless you count Durance.

I guess the problem is making players actually interested and invested in your less straight-forward characters in the first place.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
No mention of Paradox. I wonder if they'll be doing retail physical copies in Europe again.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I played through Baldur's Gate a few times, but could never bring myself to finish BG2 or PoE.

Actually don't think I made it halfway through either.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Insurrectionist posted:

Meanwhile Durance is one of the most controversial companions and people seem to hate Grieving Mother. And there aren't really any 'evil' ones at all unless you count Durance.

Do people hate GM outside of here? As a thread, we're pretty down on her, but I've seen people elsewhere say she was great.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Power Bottom posted:

I honestly hope there's a way to opt out of dealing with a Ranger companion, even if it's a sub-optimal choice. I'm lazy about micro and I'm also one of those nerds who likes roleplaying.

I'm one of the few people who liked Rangers in PoE1. I hope we see expanded options for ranged pets, burrowing/teleporting pets, flying pets, and no pets.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hell I was ok with Durance, tbh. GM never clicked for me though. Druid guy I probably didn't give a fair shake because he looked kinda goofy.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Slower default combat sounds good but I'm super triggered about the 5 party member change.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Space Pussy posted:

Slower default combat sounds good but I'm super triggered about the 5 party member change.

Not quite the 4 I was hoping for, but it's a good compromise. I suspect the total available companions will be smaller to compensate (and to allow for a tighter core stories).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Rangers are like, some of the least micro-intensive characters. Two point-and-shoot units are much more manageable than one swiss army knife caster.

Airfoil posted:

No mention of Paradox. I wonder if they'll be doing retail physical copies in Europe again.
No reason they would be mentioned at this point. Paradox wouldn't be involved unless they owned the IP.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Do people hate GM outside of here? As a thread, we're pretty down on her, but I've seen people elsewhere say she was great.

While there are always people batting for every character* I definitely can't say I remember seeing much in the way of positive opinions on her myself.

Personally I found her okay, but not very engaging. Like, she does a good job reinforcing and adding to the themes and ideas of the setting/story, but that's kinda her problem too - when the whole game throws philosophical musings, unfamiliar terms and dry exposition at you anyway, you kinda have to be really into it to want to then start going through her 'dialogue tree' voluntarily. Similarly while she shows more personality once you do go through said dialogue she's really just kinda boring beforehand, complete with empty stare and no party banter.

E: I mean, I found both Durance and GM interesting but not so much enjoyable I guess? In Durances case I felt like he 'paid off' in act 3 with the gods and all, but other than that I felt like they were along more so I could figure out their backstories rather than because they were actually fun companions in the moment. Grieving Mother especially has that problem with her lacking banter, however much sense it makes - I just don't feel like she brings anything as a companion, though at the same time I recognize that it'd be difficult to include her story in a different way into the game, and I did like said story okay.

And while we're on that - I REALLY hope the way companions are done in PoE2 don't take anything from Tyranny. To me it felt like every companion in Tyranny was recruit -> spend 10 minutes going through endless dialogue -> you can now bench them forever because they'll never have anything new. Barely any party banter or interjections at all, and I think almost all extra dialogue options (not that many in the first place) were locked behind the favor system rather than plot-progression or the like. I had some complaints about how Tyranny did its factions and choices in general, but overall I thought it also had a lot of good ideas on that front and enjoyed it - but I hated how it handled companions.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 27, 2017

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Space Pussy posted:

Where's the mention of a 5 headcount? I didn't see it on the page.

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

pledged, now I have a ticket on the hype train to Eora on a pirate cruise ship which will reach its destination by.... Q1 2018.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Scorchy posted:

I'm one of the few people who liked Rangers in PoE1. I hope we see expanded options for ranged pets, burrowing/teleporting pets, flying pets, and no pets.

Same. I love pets and pet classes.

My fondest hope for PoE2 is being able to have more than 1 pet at a time somehow. Also to have a giant bat as a pet.

Then again my second fondest hope is for a Xaurip companion, so I feel I am destined to be extremely disappointed :(

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I liked Tyranny quite a bit more than Pillars 1, so hopefully they draw from that experience. They've already mentioned tying in factions and decisions a little more which sounds like a good decision, but there was also just something a little more grabbing about the world of Tyranny and your place in it. That comment someone made about "interesting vs. compelling" was good, Tyranny had a lot of colourful characters and kept driving you forward, even if it still had some weak spots that lost momentum.

They could also lift the spell-crafting system if they wanted because that was really cool but I don't expect they will, which is fine.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Power Bottom posted:

Where's the mention of a 5 headcount? I didn't see it on the page.

Not really surprising they aren't featuring a lazy design decision that's going to be overall unpopular.

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/26/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-is-obsidians-first-stab-at-crowdfunding-on-fig/

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Basic Chunnel posted:

No reason they would be mentioned at this point. Paradox wouldn't be involved unless they owned the IP.

No, I wouldn't expect them to be mentioned in the initial pitch. I'm just curious if the physical retail editions of PoE1 did well enough that they'll be doing it again.

As I recall, Paradox also handled backer fulfillment in Europe.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
5 party members sucks if true. One of the things I like most about these oldschool D&D style games is big parties. By the time you shrink down to 3 or 4 member parties I feel like you have only enough spots to cover the necessary roles and nothing more for creativity or fun, or worse, the roles become generalized and you lose the archetypal fantasy for what a class is supposed to be. 5 is still bigger than a Dragon Age or Mass effect but it's a step in a direction I don't want.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Zore posted:

Then again my second fondest hope is for a Xaurip companion, so I feel I am destined to be extremely disappointed :(

Friendly Xaurip are canon. The herbalist at Ansilog's Compass has one as a friend. But as they're sentient, I presume them being a ranger pet is out of the question, given the weird implications that would have. We could hope for a Xaurip companion, but I'd still rather a Vithrak companion if they were going for one of the "monsters".

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

I would say "what about Pallegina" but then I get sad because I remember that mod that did nothing but Europeanize some of her facial features in her portrait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CottonWolf posted:

Friendly Xaurip are canon. The herbalist at Ansilog's Compass has one as a friend. But as they're sentient, I presume them being a ranger pet is out of the question, given the weird implications that would have. We could hope for a Xaurip companion, but I'd still rather a Vithrak companion if they were going for one of the "monsters".

Oh, I meant as a fully fledged companion like Eder, not an animal companion.

I feel like that would be fun and cool. I'm still sad we can't save the poisoned one on the first floor of the endless paths.

• Locked thread