Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Senerio's avatar reminded me that the combination of temporarily living in a different country (Spain) and having a young child has meant the only show I've even had the chance to binge on lately has been Miraculous on Disney Channel, which has an English language option. So it's a good thing that while it's as goofy as hell, I really enjoy it. For a kids' TV show the character animation and CGI is really well done (especially the action sequences), and the two leads are genuinely endearing in their lovestruck dorkiness towards each other's alter ego.

Plus the supervillains have included a mime, a chef, a paparazzo, a guy who can command pigeons, a five-year-old girl (who was actually one of the most threatening enemies because, well, she's a child with super powers, and if you don't know why that's scary you've never had kids) and AN EVIL SANTA CLAUS. And my toddler now goes "Aaaahhhh!" imitating the main villain every time he appears, which is the cutest thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Payndz posted:

AN EVIL SANTA CLAUS.

I liked his french name, Pire Noel (basically "Bother Christmas")

Senerio fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 23, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Home sick from work and just watched all 6 episodes of Frontier. Won't be making that mistake again. They somehow managed to make 6 hours go by with absolutely nothing happening. Like at all. Everyone is in the same place as when the first episode ends. Really lovely show. I did like how everyone had yellow gross teeth though. Really added to the realism.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Solice Kirsk posted:

Home sick from work and just watched all 6 episodes of Frontier. Won't be making that mistake again. They somehow managed to make 6 hours go by with absolutely nothing happening. Like at all. Everyone is in the same place as when the first episode ends. Really lovely show. I did like how everyone had yellow gross teeth though. Really added to the realism.
I wanted to like Frontier but I went through the whole season and well, nothing happened. They should've crammed that entire season into like, a pilot, maybe a 3-episode arc.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My brother has been trying to get me to watch Frontier. Should i punch him?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I can't make up my mind about The Good Place, usually about halfway through an episode I decide I don't like it. The cast is good, but some of the writing/plot is pretty eh and a lot of the humour a bit too newtork sitcom... half the time I feel like I might as well be watching Big Bang Theory or something), then they'll have a couple of really good gags and hook me with a twist or cliffhanger and I keep watching. It's interesting that unlike most sitcoms it's plotted as an ongoing/evolving story and it wears the fact that it's biggest influence is Lost, on it's sleeve. Much like Lost, I could do without the flashbacks though. Also, it doesn't hurt that Jameela Jamil is crazy hot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How much have you seen? Finish out the season for sure. (not that it sounds like you were planning on dropping it, but seriously)

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Escobarbarian posted:

How much have you seen? Finish out the season for sure. (not that it sounds like you were planning on dropping it, but seriously)

I think we binged all that's out so far. I didn't realise that was the season and just assumed it was on haitus. The fact that I'd seen a lot of people saying they liked where it went is one of the reasons I stuck with it, but I didn't think it picked up that much. I think a big part of why I stuck with it is does go places through. It doesn't just return to the status quo at the end of each episode. I'll probably keep watching when it returns because even if I'm still on the fence, my wife loves it and Schur shows almost always pick up (and continue to improve) after the first season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like you definitely haven't finished the season, from your post. There's 13 eps if that helps. And there was an inexplicable two month gap between eps 10 and 11.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Escobarbarian posted:

I feel like you definitely haven't finished the season, from your post. There's 13 eps if that helps. And there was an inexplicable two month gap between eps 10 and 11.

Looks like I'm missing the last three then! Nice, something to watch. Good thing it's already renewed as inexplicable two month gaps would usually be a bad sign.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Networks, in their infinite wisdom.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Solice Kirsk posted:

Haha I was sick at home yesterday as well and also blasted through Frontier, and even though I love Jason Momoa, I couldn't even tell you anything important that happened in it. Pretty disappointed.

It wasn't super action-packed either, but I did enjoy Versailles!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Norse Code posted:

Haha I was sick at home yesterday as well and also blasted through Frontier, and even though I love Jason Momoa, I couldn't even tell you anything important that happened in it. Pretty disappointed.

Yeah, Frontier had potential but was almost criminally underwhelming. Let's get that next season of Red Road up and out there! :D

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Frontier had a very interesting, underutilized premise that has bunch of interesting history and weight behind it to make a very good period piece. Too bad that they apparently had a gun to the makers' head and told them to underutilize it even more? Christ how does someone get the money and network to make such an useless show. The first historical series where I couldn't even sit through the first episode.

Now, I've only watched the first episode of Sneaky Pete so I can't say how it goes on, but I found it really entertaining with bunch of excellent actors (such as beloved character actress Margo Martindale) and the first role I've seen Giovanni Ribisi play where he isn't some sort of miserable weak sociopath - and he is excellent.

Norse Code posted:

I enjoyed it too - the plotting wasn't that strong to be honest (same problem as lot of historical shows, invent a soap opera plot out of nowhere and have it take time and space from actual poo poo that happened) but the main character (Louis XIV played by the monk from Vikings) and his brother are interesting enough to follow.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 24, 2017

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Gravy Jones posted:

Looks like I'm missing the last three then! Nice, something to watch. Good thing it's already renewed as inexplicable two month gaps would usually be a bad sign.

It has not yet been renewed, but fingers crossed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It is a decent series finale if it had to be.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I was also sick all day yesterday too, so I finally gave in and tried watching Travelers. Loved it. Watched all twelve episodes. It avoided two of the biggest problems I have with sci-fi shows. Namely: awkward attempts at humor, and blatant sexual pandering. The premise was kind of silly, but that's never stopped me from enjoying a show (see: The 100). Definitely one that lived up to the hype.

It also marked one of the first times that I could actually remembered the names of the main characters by the end of the series. I'm really bad at that normally.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I borrowed Modern Marvels: Engineering Disasters from the library, and this is like crack for my studying background-noise for my construction/architectural/mechanical-electrical drafting/hvac/electrical/electronics (no that's not a barf pile or random words, that's what I'm focusing on) poo poo I'm working on.

Does anyone know if it's available to stream anywhere? I borrowed some DVDs from the library but I want to just leave them on repeat while I'm crying at myself at how hard my thermal transfer math is.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Picked back up on The Messengers and it's getting good. Also Diogo Morgado can have it any way he wants it at any time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finding Always Sunny is slipping a little in seasons 7/8. They've stated getting goofier and going more "look it's the always sunny version of <this genre>!" and I don't dig it as much.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Finding Always Sunny is slipping a little in seasons 7/8. They've stated getting goofier and going more "look it's the always sunny version of <this genre>!" and I don't dig it as much.

It doesn't get much better. I think maybe twice a season now there's a solid full episode.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still enjoy it but there's no doubting that Always Sunny has since its first season been on a nonstop move towards more and more cartoony until the point where I assume they'll just be puppets.

They haven't done puppets yet, right? I was going to go with "animated" but then I remembered they've gone there already.

Mind you, this isn't a criticism. The fact they have ANY jokes after 12 years is kind of remarkable. I think they've weathered this better than a lot of other once great long running comedies like Scrubs or Roseanne.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Season 2, episode 11 of the sopranos...tell me it gets better?

it's so loving slow. This last episode was titled house arrest and was just Sonny moping around in his house, and tony loving getting light headed every time Richie is around and scratching his arm.

Is every season slow like this and have the same tempo? I liked the wire, which was a slow burn, but nothing is loving happening.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I've been enjoying Schitt's Creek on Amazon. It's pretty funny.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Season 2, episode 11 of the sopranos...tell me it gets better?

No.

I mean, I very much like the Sopranos and think it changed TV, but its a moody character study. There will be periods of excitement as poo poo hits the fan or deep rooted issues come to a head, but for the most part its a show about the psychology and mental state of a man so most of it is all about him and how he's feeling. The Wire is a very different show and a better comparison would be Mad Men. There will be things that happen and people that come and go but at its core its a show about one troubled guy and you're basically watching to get into his head.

If you're 2 seasons in and don't like it its not going to suddenly change. You're already watching the stuff that made it beloved and changed TV forever. So if you don't like its just not for you.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
Binged through both seasons of Ash vs. Evil Dead this past week and oh my god that show was incredible.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Joburg posted:

I've been enjoying Schitt's Creek on Amazon. It's pretty funny.

Me too. I think the worst thing about the show is the unfortunate name. It's a lot cheaper joke than what's in most episodes. For those who haven't looked beyond the name, you should give it a chance. Eugene Levy, and his son Dan put the show together. Levy Sr. plays a recently financially ruined former captain of industry. The show starts off with him losing everything except this small town he bought on a lark. So the family is forced to move from the city to hicksville, Canada. Catherine O'Hara is along for the ride as a former soap opera star, wife and mother of 2 grown rear end adult children who are still living with mom and dad. Dan Levy plays the son, and Annie Murphy the daughter. Both O'Hara and the younger Levy ham it up to the max, playing spoiled rear end rich people starting to come to grips with being broke.
As always, Eugene Levy is funny as hell throughout. He mostly plays a solid straight man kind of character in this series. An uncomfortably well cast Chris Elliot plays the town's slovenly and dimwitted mayor Roland Schitt.

:five: just for the chance to see Catherine O'Hara ham it right the gently caress up. :canada: The Levy men's performances are excellent bonus material.

This show can also serve as a PSA how-to treat queer/pansexual people like real people for your average cbc viewing small town :canada: audience. The show's lack of abusive language from the local populace towards the recent arrivals is one departure from an accurate depiction of middle of nowhere Canada.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Schitt's Creek is fantastic. I watched the first two episodes and then binges through the other two seasons in the days with my roommates. One of my favorite new comedies. And The Detour. That show is awesome too.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Binged through Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency this weekend and is freaking hilarious

Ive heard it not very faithful to the book, but I dont care cause Ive never read it. If you dont mind that, it is tons of fun

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Binged through Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency this weekend and is freaking hilarious

Ive heard it not very faithful to the book, but I dont care cause Ive never read it. If you dont mind that, it is tons of fun

Not being faithful to [previous iteration] is being faithful to an Adams property.

I loved this version as well. There's a second season planned too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Where can I watch this Holistic detective show?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Solice Kirsk posted:

Where can I watch this Holistic detective show?

BBC America, but it's not on the schedule right now. Depending on your TV provider, you can watch it on their website.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
Dirk Gently's up on Netflix, at least in Canada.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Crummelhorn posted:

Dirk Gently's up on Netflix, at least in Canada.

You syrup swilling maple-backs get everything before us!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's on Netflix Australia too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's on Netflix Australia too.

Solice Kirsk posted:

You syrup swilling maple-backs vegemite chugging koala-backs get everything before us!

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Kitchen Nightmares. I watched an episode about "Amy's Baking Company" and enjoyed it so much I went back to the first episode.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The Oa...

was ready to drop it halfway through the first episode

then the end of the episode happens :stare:

weird death lady in some universe room :catstare:

i love weird poo poo like that

i hope the show gets even weirder with it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I was hesitant to start on The Expanse as I've been burned so man times on mid-budget Science Fiction. Kind of swings between complete turds and CW type stuff which I know some people like but it's not for me. But I binged half the season last night and was really into it. It's kind of generic space miners vs corporations and space politics stuff, but atmospheric and a good story and passable script/acting etc. Effects are fairly good as well. Elements of Babylon 5 and BSG (the latter especially in terms of the aesthetic) but a bit more near-earth and grounded than either of those. Also reminded me of a couple of parts of Mass Effect for some reason. Looking forward to the rest of it.

Finished off The Good Place as well. It defiitely went places... which was fun, and I'm glad it's been renewed, but I'm still not into the actual sitcom/comedy aspect of it despite liking the cast. I hope that gets better as time goes on (it has done in Schur's other shows so I have hope).

Solice Kirsk posted:

You syrup swilling maple-backs get everything before us!

I just watched this fine (and it's v fine, think it edges out Stranger Things as my fave show of 2016) televisual show on the Netflix streaming video service in the United Kingdom pip pip what-ho.