Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Tell that to the sandsharks and bonesharks that bounce off the seamoth every couple of seconds in their respective territories. They're hyper aggressive and I often end up having to ram the bastards a few times before they bugger off, and then have to knife one to death that swam over to try and mess with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Ok I'll admit that they are not entirely consistent in their behavior. On my end, at least, there seems to be fewer and less aggressive sandsharks than when I played last, in October. I have noticed that the infected fish seem a little more aggressive. I had a peeper trying to headbutt my seamoth for a while, it was weird.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I agree with Section Z about the Stalker. There is a very specific way to distract them and sneak by. you can feed them titanium and they leave you alone to scan. It would be great if there was this nice variety of creatures and interesting ways to deal with them. I never tried baiting predators with dead fish, but it would be good if that worked. Kinda that Alien Isolation thing where you can distract the creature long enough to get where you need to go. It would really be a nice addition to the non-lethal-these are just animals gameplay.

There are some very frustrating bits. Like that reef with about 5 Bonesharks constantly hanging around. it's either avoid, fight or save and hope you get past. Maybe you could find a hard to catch fish and throw that at them to distract them. I also really wish they would go back to the less aggressive Sandshark AI but up the damage. They only really got you if you were careless and they really just felt like this dangerous animal you pissed off, it might attack and eat you or it might go back to sleep. Like a Rattlesnake or Blue shark. (no expert, but you get my drift) Just that bit of diversity. not everything running at you all the time.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 21, 2017

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
There's a new update today! I recognize at least some of these things from the experimental builds (the home goods stuff mainly), but I'm not sure about the lava castle and droids. Do any of you know?

Here are the patch notes:

Unknown Worlds posted:

The Castles & Coffee Update
A secret lies hidden deep within the bowels of the Lava Castle: A Precursor Base. Great peril awaits any diver attempting to explore this mysterious structure. Should you prevail, you will shed light on more of the secrets that shroud this underwater world.

-New Features in the Castles & Coffee Update-
Gravsphere & Airbladder:
  • Both items get a major overhaul with new in-game models and animations. Additionally, the Gravsphere has been updated to grab loot nearby.

Home Improvements:
  • Many home goods now function! From working trashcans, to exciting vending machines, to a fancy coffee machine, get ready to make home a little sweeter.

Ping Management System:
  • Change the colors and visibility of pings in the world. A highly requested feature from the community!

Lava Castle Precursor Base:
  • Deep within the Lava Castle, another Precursor Base comes online. Exploring inside yields new blueprints for the new Ion Battery & Ion Powercell, glimpses of ancient droids, and more.

Precursor Droids & Ion Power:
  • Roaming the abandoned corridors of the Lava Castle Precursor Base are the Precursor Droids. Charged with the solitary task of maintaining the base through the years, these droids can be seen wandering the base, going about their business. Inside these walls you can also find blueprints for two new types of power: Ion Batteries and Ion Powercells.

Home Goods:
  • Beds - Lying in bed now allows players the option to skip night.
  • Trashcans - Now actual receptacles into which you can permanently throw things away.
  • Coffee Machine - Now pours a caffeine jolt for late night research.
  • Luggage Bag - The luggage bag now does exactly what it should do: It stores things!
  • Vending Machine - Craving a snack? Look no further. Guaranteed to not get stuck.
  • Lab Trashcan - Dispose of your used Nuclear Reactor Rods safely!

Stability & Optimization:
  • This update includes many changes in an ongoing effort to alleviate performance issues on Xbox and Steam. Since automatic terrain deformation during base building was part of the problem, we decided to get rid of it. This was a difficult call for us, but we're committed to delivering an optimized 1.0 at launch this year. We're quietly hopeful that you might even enjoy the new location-specific challenges this new restriction brings to late game base building. We’ve also made lots of usability and stability improvements to base-building in the meantime.

Improvements
  • Ping System: Manage UI HUD pings from your PDA, such as lifepods pings, Seamoth pings, etc.
  • Gravsphere: A model addition and design tweaks make the Gravsphere an even better tool. Now the arcs grab not just fish but nearby loot as well.
  • Air Bladder: A functioning placeholder of this existed in game for some time, but now it has its final model and animations.

Other Additions
  • You may notice new terrain features as you explore previously empty areas.
  • More and more Precursor Caches have been added around the world.
  • Seaglide light energy cost halved and active energy cost quartered.
  • Oxygen warning shortened.

To see the full list of changes, click here: http://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/castles-coffee/#

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

They can't actually decouple terraforming can they? They're just removing terrain deformation and calling it a day.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is there any hope of reduced pop in without full terraforming removal?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

They can't actually decouple terraforming can they? They're just removing terrain deformation and calling it a day.

If they remove all ways to deform the terrain they can stop tracking changes to the terrain.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Those seaglide changes are going to actually make the seaglide usable outside of "dive" or "poo poo poo poo get back to the sub".

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah you can now actually use it without it crapping out on you constantly. I'll be tempted to go dangerous places without the seamouth now that I'm not trying to out swim goddam sharks.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Dyz posted:

Those seaglide changes are going to actually make the seaglide usable outside of "dive" or "poo poo poo poo get back to the sub".

Is the power drain reduction enough that you can seaglide perpetually with charge fins?

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Dyz posted:

Nice, this means I don't have to carry a bandoleer of batteries with me anymore when I want to use it.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Awesome, I noticed during the start of the game that I needed to bring about 5 batteries with me if I wanted to go anywhere with the seaglide. There are some great changes here. Especially the coffee, beds and the ping system. I might load up Subnautica and see whats what.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i got back into this game just in time for this update. i have been to the lava zone, been beneath the lava zone, and survived in this hosed up hell world. i went to go check out the new thing in the lava castle, but i was having a lot of trouble fitting my prawn suit in the tunnels there so i left it outside and swam in. when I got back it was covered in worms, worms who I THOUGHT were chill bros but I guess not. They were all stuck to it and had sucked my batteries completely dry, which was extremely hosed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ooh, they updated beacons so they now show an exact distance. Nice. I wanted that little QoL improvement.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Demiurge4 posted:

While I've seen them mentioning stuff that involves effort like adjusting buildings so they don't displace terrain?

I've also seen them saying stuff like how just disabling the terraforming GUN is "Essentially having removed it" :downs:

The hurdles of technical :effort: aside, I'm hopefully about their change in mindset to at least TRY and unfuck some of the QoL stuff that was caused by "feedback" from their more sterotypical sandbox gamers. They have admitted silver is a problem like has been said forever (Even if their ideas like 'put it on reefbacks :pseudo:" are... lacking). They are trying to make the Seaglide useless in itself instead of based around the screams of people saying "Who cares? ,We can just recharges stuff gently caress all the players in the early game!".

So part of the struggle will be the fact a lot of their feedback over these improvements will be from the people made them in a state requiring fixes in the first place :v:

Ion Batteries finally officially being a thing is also sweet, I just hope they don't have a similarly long recharge time. Because it would take away a lot of the feel of improvement if it meant waiting around in your base longer for your ride to top off, or still needing just as many chargers as ever so you're not constantly going back out with only mostly full ion stuff.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i got back into this game just in time for this update. i have been to the lava zone, been beneath the lava zone, and survived in this hosed up hell world. i went to go check out the new thing in the lava castle, but i was having a lot of trouble fitting my prawn suit in the tunnels there so i left it outside and swam in. when I got back it was covered in worms, worms who I THOUGHT were chill bros but I guess not. They were all stuck to it and had sucked my batteries completely dry, which was extremely hosed.
New and exciting ways to negate your tech progression does seem to be how they are handling the late game difficulty curve, yeah.

"gently caress yeah, I got an exo suit! Time to get revenge on some warpers- *Teleport*... Wow, really? Fine I'll just use my prop gun on it like I've been using on everything all loving game then I guess."

As for the worms snacking on your suit battery. I wonder if they are tuned to drain it faster than the thermal modification if you park the thing someplace hot enough to refill it's energy? Antics like this as much as loving to travel for long times away from my cyclops/base are why I always try to bring at least one spare power cell along. Even with mods that would refill energy one way or the other.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 27, 2017

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Section Z posted:

As for the worms snacking on your suit battery. I wonder if they are tuned to drain it faster than the thermal modification if you park the thing someplace hot enough to refill it's energy? Antics like this as much as loving to travel for long times away from my cyclops/base are why I always try to bring at least one spare power cell along. Even with mods that would refill energy one way or the other.

My experience with the worms is that one is slightly less than the Thermal Mod's recharge rates. So I would assume that two is a full on constant drain.

I always pack a spare on me or in the suits storage, especially since there's not much to farm down there aside from some sulphur.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

there were 3 or 4 of them stuck to my prawn and it drained it from 80% to like 7% in the 15 minutes or so i was messing about in the thermal plant place

heres the sick lava place when I went back a second time:

on the way back (note how banged up my prawn got) this little fuckin guy stuck right to the middle of my face:

I liked his moxie so I decided to leave him on there and try and take him back to my big base, but when I docked with my cyclops the little guy disappeared and I was really disappointed.

Then I got inside my cyclops and lo and behold:

eventually I made it back to the surface, with my little pal intact. You can't see him on this picture but he's there, I wanted to show my cyclops' beautiful colours:

he's still on my cyclops parked next to my base. I want to get him off it and put him in an aquarium but I can't figure out how. I'm worried he'll get crushed when i inevitably crash my cyclops into a rock.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 27, 2017

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, what does coffee actually do now?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Speedball posted:

So, what does coffee actually do now?

Relieves 4 points of thirst.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Does it need supplies or does it just generate java on a timer like the medikit dispenser?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Does it need supplies or does it just generate java on a timer like the medikit dispenser?

From the videos I've seen, you just set it up on a wall, activate it, and then ~10 seconds later it'll generate a coffee. It'd be real tedious to try and get your water to 100%, but if you return to your base, activate it, store your stuff and do whatever you need to, then have a drink, it'll be a nice little marginal improvement with no real investment beyond a click. Don't know if it draws any significant amount of power.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Huh, when did they add being able to deconstruct the fabricator and signal receiver in the lifepod?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
This latest patch, because I was trying that a few weeks ago when I started and couldn't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Huh, when did they add being able to deconstruct the fabricator and signal receiver in the lifepod?

If they're going to let you do that I would have thought they'd let you pull out the power cells as well.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It seems like letting you deconstruct the fabricator would allow for an actual failure state.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I don't think you can deconstruct the fabricators on the other lifepods you find, which is total bullshit if they let you deconstruct the one in yours.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

It seems like letting you deconstruct the fabricator would allow for an actual failure state.

Well, you'd have to deconstruct the fabricator and then intentionally throw away the components. I suppose it could happen through a glitch but at that point its not operating as intended anymore.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
You'd have to gently caress up pretty enormously to do it, but it could be done.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

If they're going to let you do that I would have thought they'd let you pull out the power cells as well.

They have such a tiny output and capacity that I'd adore being able to unlock the self recharging powercells. It'd give us a more tangible reason to track down the crashed lifepods if they were the source of very specific salvage towards their recharging cells. Even if they were limited to one per base (And only one is just a tiny slowly charging 25 capacity) that would still be a nice backup buffer towards keeping the lights on.

But since it's convenient, you generally get people screaming at you that it's "Unrealistic" (despite it being right there) and "Clearly it's solar powered! Even though it's recharging at night". Rather than debate the balance of a single 25 capacity object.

See also, any time people bring up the possibility of further looting the aurora for some of that sweet dark energy, even if just with a power relay chain. Where like the life-pod cells, the usual problem people cite is that dark energy existing is "Unrealistic" despite the fact it's right there in front of us in game :v:

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I liked his moxie so I decided to leave him on there and try and take him back to my big base, but when I docked with my cyclops the little guy disappeared and I was really disappointed.
You are a true scuba mans that other should aspire to be like :allears:

Bhodi posted:

I don't think you can deconstruct the fabricators on the other lifepods you find, which is total bullshit if they let you deconstruct the one in yours.
If intentional, it's easier to rig up the main lifepod's stuff as deconstructable. And gets them free PR for "Giving you options". I'd much prefer being allowed to mount a battery charger onto the walls of the lifepod later for visits, myself.

Meanwhile, crashed lifepods being lootable for anything of actual merit would be "Too easy". But more importantly, require more effort on the Dev's parts. Are we (and predators) still able to swim directly through the walls of lifepods like they don't exist? If so, making the fabricator deconstructable would be a bit tricky compared to one with real walls.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 28, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The lifepods I've seen are all properly collision-mapped.

Also I should note that the one up by the Underwater Islands (3) is very close to a motherlode of silver (that's guarded by a mesmer), so it's a useful one to have around as a guidepoint.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Section Z posted:

They have such a tiny output and capacity that I'd adore being able to unlock the self recharging powercells. It'd give us a more tangible reason to track down the crashed lifepods if they were the source of very specific salvage towards their recharging cells. Even if they were limited to one per base (And only one is just a tiny slowly charging 25 capacity) that would still be a nice backup buffer towards keeping the lights on.

But since it's convenient, you generally get people screaming at you that it's "Unrealistic" (despite it being right there) and "Clearly it's solar powered! Even though it's recharging at night". Rather than debate the balance of a single 25 capacity object.

See also, any time people bring up the possibility of further looting the aurora for some of that sweet dark energy, even if just with a power relay chain. Where like the life-pod cells, the usual problem people cite is that dark energy existing is "Unrealistic" despite the fact it's right there in front of us in game :v:

It's unrealistic? :shepface: You can push a button on a device to create a large room complete with oxygen scrubbing and lighting out of some chunks of titanium, but a scifi power source is where people call foul?

to be fair, I've always been on the side of "It's cool, so gently caress it" scifi reality, but still

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

It's unrealistic? :shepface: You can push a button on a device to create a large room complete with oxygen scrubbing and lighting out of some chunks of titanium, but a scifi power source is where people call foul?

to be fair, I've always been on the side of "It's cool, so gently caress it" scifi reality, but still

Highly selective usage and interpretation of "Realism in games" is a mindset that hits even the most well meaning of people. A lot of the time people honestly think they are being helpful good game suggestion people like this.

I've got a longtime pal in nerd games who has come up with bullshit magical swiss army weapons to give my fighter at level 2, while their GMPC is still slumming it with a generic +1 staff.

But if I ask to implement "Hey, just let us knock people out with ranged attacks if we feel like it. That's standard rules for the other edition"? Well, arrows and javelins are SHARP! So clearly it makes no sense for those to knock people out, it's unrealistic. Maybe if we came up with blunt tipped arrows with penalties because of a lack of aerodynamics then-Now, back to working out how much to pay those goblins we hired to fire a ballista at a dragon! They know how fun works, they know how unrealistic the game is, but they still regularly short circuit over "realism" in game design.

Sometimes it is people just using it as free PR to win their personal arguments, and knowing full well how hypocritical they are once they 180 and declare Realism/Lore pointless if you bring it up mid argument. But a lot of the time, they really, honestly, think this makes perfect sense to say at the cherry picked times it matters to them. Usually when it means less convenience for players, instead of more.

Like how people arguing that Dark matter "is a pipe dream" are completely fine if you bring up the alien fish monsters capable of opening holes in space time with their mind "Because Einstein theorized wormholes :pseudo:" and they legit think this way.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 28, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Danaru posted:

People draw their logic lines in survival games at the strangest places.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

My little lava grub pal fuckin vanished when i loaded the game and also now my game, whenever i load it, slows down super fast and crashes within a minute. i think my save is busted.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
He's draining energy directly from your computer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Danaru posted:

Specifically, unplugging one of the power cells on the wall and plugging it into your base is presumably very difficult.

I can only assume the self charging cells use BS1363 and everything else uses Walsall Gauge 13A

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 28, 2017

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Nah, it's just the pod power cells have rounded dome ends, which are really hard to grip with wet hands

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Looks like they're moving the Cyclops 'modes' back onto the To-Do list.

By default, the Cyclops will generate noise that will attract larger prey, but you'll have the option to go silent or 'flank' mode to evade monsters. Supposed to have some type of visual+ping noise to annoy the crap out of you. Seems they definitely want the bigger species to start dealing damage to the Cyclops, hope you enjoy putting out fires or welding holes while some retarded AI mercilessly hits your ship.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I got to the mountain on my new save; and man the change to the Seaglide makes life so much easier. I ran into my first warper...who actually zapped me in front of a node with a diamond in it! Thanks buddy! That saves me a lot of

*REAPER OUT OF loving NOWHERE*

:what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Evil Mastermind posted:

I got to the mountain on my new save; and man the change to the Seaglide makes life so much easier. I ran into my first warper...who actually zapped me in front of a node with a diamond in it! Thanks buddy! That saves me a lot of

*REAPER OUT OF loving NOWHERE*

:what:

Can warpers teleport stuff as large as reapers? He may have given you a present.