Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
It sounds like WWE UK talent won't be allowed to work shows that are livestreamed. Great deal for WWE -- you pay the guys less than even NXT wrestlers, don't have to train them, and keep bleeding away talent from the indies that don't play ball with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Has that poll always been there? Am I blind?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Yes and DJ Hyde is the rightful victor now as it was then

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Food Court Druid posted:

It sounds like WWE UK talent won't be allowed to work shows that are livestreamed. Great deal for WWE -- you pay the guys less than even NXT wrestlers, don't have to train them, and keep bleeding away talent from the indies that don't play ball with you.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet :ssh:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/822739805071097856

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Pete Dunne has just been announced on two shows in promotions that don't seem to be in cahoots with WWE

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
King Cuerno at the next AAW show at 115 :swoon:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

AAW: Cage match, intermission, 3+ hours, I'm exhausted.

Deathlove posted:

:yeah:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thrifting Day! posted:

Pete Dunne has just been announced on two shows in promotions that don't seem to be in cahoots with WWE

Not for broadcast. Its the same deal that sorta-kinda NXT dudes are getting. You get poo poo money, can't work broadcast shows(including DVDs unless its WWN) and gotta give WWE bookings priority.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Nm, not getting into this

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 21, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There's nothing unusual about any of this, and lesser televised/iPPV American promotions have operated under these challenges and restrictions for years.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Deathlove posted:

Is he being billed as King Cuerno or Hijo de Fantasma? Or something else?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

StarkRavingMad posted:

Is he being billed as King Cuerno or Hijo de Fantasma? Or something else?

Twitter has him as Hijo de Fantasma, I expect they used Cuerno in the hall for better name recognition. They did the same with Rey Horus (El Dragon Azteca Jr.) for his first visit.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

dont even fink about it posted:

There's nothing unusual about any of this, and lesser televised/iPPV American promotions have operated under these challenges and restrictions for years.

That's true and people will get used to it BUT it is a huge sea change from 2016 and before where UK fans were treated to dream matches every weekend. So it is a short sharp shock.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Pinwiz11 posted:

Twitter has him as Hijo de Fantasma, I expect they used Cuerno in the hall for better name recognition. They did the same with Rey Horus (El Dragon Azteca Jr.) for his first visit.

LU gets after people who advertise using their trademarked names, they got mad about the Pentagon Dark name being used to advertise a show with Pentagon Jr

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mob posted:

LU gets after people who advertise using their trademarked names, they got mad about the Pentagon Dark name being used to advertise a show with Pentagon Jr

The showrunner said on an interview this week that they want to start setting up licenses for the talent to be able to use their LU gimmicks at other indies. Which would make sense, that way they can protect their IP, and still keep the workers happy, and get free advertising. That's why I was curious how AAW were billing Cuerno, I thought it was probably too early for those agreements to be in place yet, but it was possible.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

https://twitter.com/AAWPro/status/822913509956665347

The ad is definitely for Hijo.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

StarkRavingMad posted:

The showrunner said on an interview this week that they want to start setting up licenses for the talent to be able to use their LU gimmicks at other indies. Which would make sense, that way they can protect their IP, and still keep the workers happy, and get free advertising. That's why I was curious how AAW were billing Cuerno, I thought it was probably too early for those agreements to be in place yet, but it was possible.
Pentagon Dark is a stupid name and his gimmick isn't any different than Pentagon Jr though, it's a silly thing to fight over. I can see some of the more exclusive gimmicks, Cobb isn't out on the indies running his Lucha Underground gimmick

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

NEW was pretty fun. The crowd liked The Kingdom a lot more than I did.

Adrenaline Rush d . Shazam. Long tag match. Not a great opener.

Wrecking Ball Legursky d. Ace Perry. Good Squash. Wrecking Ball isn't as round as he could be but he's a fun local hoss.

Keith Lee d. Dijak. Very good. Dijak's second goon (not Webb) took a gross chair to the head and got busted open.

Mandy Leon & Maria Manic d. Tessa Blanchard & MJ Jenkins. Very slow and bad.

Flip Gordon d. Ricochet. Good match. Flash pin to set up a rematch that wasn't booked. Gordon is a Fury student and pretty good after ~18 months.

#1 Contender Rumble was fine. Bennett won, 1/5th of the crowd left, and the main event was killed because they were so obviously doing a Kingdom title match.

TK O'Ryan(c) d. Sami Callihan. Ok. Remaining crowd really liked O'Ryan but the positioning was terrible.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

RealFoxy posted:

Pentagon Dark is a stupid name and his gimmick isn't any different than Pentagon Jr though, it's a silly thing to fight over. I can see some of the more exclusive gimmicks, Cobb isn't out on the indies running his Lucha Underground gimmick

Good/Bad News. He Penta El Cero Miedo now. He left AAA

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

Good/Bad News. He Penta El Cero Miedo now. He left AAA

pentagram as many people already suggested for this eventuality would've been better

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

aaw

Show opened with the advertised cage match between Ohio Is 4 Killers (Dave+Jake Crist) and Homicide+Eddie Kingston, so the cage was set up before the show. They brawled around the ring and both Crists bled before even entering the cage. Homicide+Kingston isolated Dave and kept kicking Jake as he tried to get in the door, so he scaled the cage and did a big dive to the inside to save his brother. Couple impressive spots after that, including a top-rope Russian leg sweep onto a bed of chairs. Sami Callihan ran in to interfere, followed by Abyss; those two had a hardcore match here when Abyss last appeared so the presumption was Abyss was out for revenge. The swerve came as Abyss laid out Homicide allowing OI4K to get the win, so he has apparently joined the Killer Kult.

Weird scene after the match as Eddie Kingston was kicking away the staff and ring crew and demanding a doctor for Homicide. Homicide didn't get up for a while and was holding his wrist when he did - I think he took a chair to the wrist at an odd angle. Eddie kept yelling and threw a chair at a staff guy at one point, and then the promoter Danny Daniels came out and Eddie yelled at him about not caring about his check. It wasn't clear what the controversy could have been from either a shoot or work perspective to be honest but people eventually started chanting for Eddie just because he came across as genuine and passionate about whatever was going on.

They ran a video promo with Mat Fitchett+Davey Vega while the cage was deconstructed. Next match was a four-way spotfest with AR Fox, DJZ, Moose and Dezmond Xavier, with AR Fox pinning DJZ.

Fitchett/Vega challenged Andrew Everett and Jack Evans for the tag belts next. Trevor Lee technically holds the title, not Jack, but they'd worked as a trio previously so it halfway works as a Freebird gimmick. There was a fun dynamic here I hadn't seen before, with Jack and Vega each cheating for their respective teams and Fitchett and Everett both trying to get them to be good sports and babyfaces. The action was a bit disjointed though so the crowd wasn't real involved. Evans and Everett retained.

Sami Callihan came out to promo, said he'd issued an open challenge. He went on and on about how Steve Austin had replied to his tweet about it on Twitter and even put Austin's tweet up on the screens which was pretty funny. Then he ranted about people making GBS threads on him online and how he doesn't care, so it was very much a promo of the Twitter era. Candice LeRae was the surprise opponent and Sami then recanted on his challenge and said she had to beat him first to get a title shot.

So she won a quick pinfall with a reverse frankensteiner and they started the title match in earnest. This was the definite match of the night and the crowd was hot throughout. Crowd bit on at least three near-falls for Candice. I think there's a marked difference in both how she works and how she's perceived when she's wrestling men as opposed to women and I definitely think people would rather see the former. Sami tapped her out with the stretch muffler in 12 minutes, really good match.

Sami cut a promo afterwards saying he'd made everyone tap out, Candice, Fenix, Hero, Morrison, etc. Who was next? Kongo Kong entered and grabbed the belt. Sami kept thinking about re-entering the ring but eventually thought better of it and left. Scarlett Bordeaux entered with Connor Braxton and Eddie Machete and sicced them on Kong. Braxton ended up escaping to the ring while Machete got wrecked and Scarlett took a Rikishi Driver. Kongo seems to have possession of the belt now, probably setting him up as a challenger for the downstate LaSalle show.

Matt Sydal vs. Davey Richards was next. This went right to technical wrestling and matwork and it couldn't follow the previous match with that focus. Sydal pinned Richards with a shooting star press. Davey then cut a promo to introduce Angelina Love and put over that she's his wife and he gets to go home with her regardless of whatever cute chants people might yell at him. It didn't work.

Mercedes Martinez defeated Angelina Love in 7 minutes. Mercedes has only worked one previous match here within the last year or so, so the crowd wasn't invested in either like they've been for Candice or Heidi.

It became evident at this point that there wasn't going to be an intermission, presumably because they had the cage deconstruction break earlier. Drew Galloway came out for his match with Silas Young. Silas entered as a total babyface which has to be a rare sight. Galloway cut a promo saying he likes to do research on a promotion before he debuts and said he learned that before AAW was buzzworthy and filling the room every month, Silas was the longest reigning champion and put the company on his back and worked hard every time out for small crowds. Galloway respects him for that and was honored to be his final AAW opponent and he would prove he can be the new AAW measuring stick. Smart approach for babyfacing both guys, really. Good match with the crowd solidly behind Silas. Went 17 minutes which was a lot to ask with no intermission on this show but managed to keep the crowd. Galloway won and Silas took his curtain call.

Abyss defeated Colt Cabana after the Killer Kult manager JT Davidson interfered.

Main event was Brian Cage+Michael Elgin vs. ACH+Fenix. Just a fun whirlwind of impressive spots, as you'd expect. Fenix won with a pin on Cage. Very fun show overall but would have traded an intermission for the cage stip.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 24, 2017

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/AAWPro/status/823736894504796160

2/4 in LaSalle:
Sami Callihan vs. Kongo Kong - AAW World Title
ACH vs. Trevor Lee - AAW Heritage Title
OI4K vs. Dezmond Xavier+Zachary Wentz
Allysin Kay+Jessicka Havok vs. Candice LeRae+Samantha Heights
DJZ vs. the former Adam Rose
Hooligans+Buck Nasty vs. Zero Gravity+Brubaker
David Starr's AAW debut
Besties In The World
Arik Cannon
Ace Perry
Kody Rice
Scarlett Bordeaux
Connor Braxton
Eddie Machete
Mike Hartenbower

2/17 in Merrionette Park
Sami Callihan
Matt Riddle
Rey Fenix
ACH
Eddie Kingston
Low-Ki
King Cuerno/Hijo Del Fantasma
OI4K
Michael Elgin
Matt Sydal
Trevor Lee
Abyss
Jack Evans
Chuck Taylor
Trent Beretta
Brian Cage
Besties in The World
Dezmond Xavier
Zachary Wentz

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 28, 2017

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
How was Abyss/Cabana? I liked some of his brawling matches in the past.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I was pretty drunk and distracted for that one but I think pretty solid?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

scott norton vs joey ryan

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

its me glenda posted:

Not like this, Flapjack... not like this :(

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

mariooncrack posted:

How was Abyss/Cabana? I liked some of his brawling matches in the past.

Aggressively fine. That late without an intermission, I wasn't really into it. Colt stole a dude's phone and gave it to the ref. :allears:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AAW's Jim Lynum tournament is now up on the Highspots Network.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

its me glenda posted:

So, I take it this will be the end of Ryan's powerful dick, right? Norton will grab Joey's dick, Joey will do his flexing, Norton no-sells, and just beats the crap out of Joey.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Germansimp posted:

So, I take it this will be the end of Ryan's powerful dick, right? Norton will grab Joey's dick, Joey will do his flexing, rip off somebody's move, Norton no-sells, and just beats the crap out of Joey.

Spiteful/bitter edit for you :)

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Evolve is coming to Chicago and Detroit

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/EVOLVE-To-The-Midwest---.html?soid=1103872774606&aid=Rv84DvnIeMk

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Oh poo poo. Need to keep my eyes out for that.

https://twitter.com/AAWPro/status/824430168076877826

Looks like everything is okay in the aftermath of the cage match.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
For those of you who have and enjoy the Highspots Channel, it's getting a new show, hosted by Excalibur called Existential Crisis. This is awesome because I always enjoy it when he pipes in during Chuck's shows, and he's a funny, self-aware dude. It's gonna start taping WM weekend.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

gently caress this why aren't they bringing FIP

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I start to get so much anxiety before PWG tickets go on sale.

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me

The_Rob posted:

I start to get so much anxiety before PWG tickets go on sale.

Same. Good luck.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

For those of you who have and enjoy the Highspots Channel, it's getting a new show, hosted by Excalibur called Existential Crisis. This is awesome because I always enjoy it when he pipes in during Chuck's shows, and he's a funny, self-aware dude. It's gonna start taping WM weekend.

Wonder how many Super Dragon stories we'll get

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Of all the services, highspots is by far the best value for me. There's a ton of poo poo on there and just about anything you could be in the mood for. It really is tremendous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
Yee-Haw. Got 'em