Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I haven't had a spinning disk drive in my main machine since 2010

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I need to replace an hdd in an older machine that generally sees little use (thinkpad t410 in my workshop), cheaply. 120 gigs is fine, maybe even 60 - can I go lower than the $54 for the sandisk z400s?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
When I built my mother's PC I used a 64GB SanDisk SSD that I had lying around. Haswell i3, 8GB RAM and Windows 10. Runs really well for what she needs it for. I wouldn't recommend going as low as 64GB for anything other than a surfing and email machine though. She also keeps her Dropbox photos on there. I think she's got about 20GB free.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Even health insurance companies provide SSDs in their employees' laptops now. Health insurance companies. Let that sink in for a moment.

Get a single 128GB SSD for your OS if that's all you want to spend. I'm about to buy one for my wife's laptop right now because the HDD makes troubleshooting anything too slow.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I loving hate troubleshooting computers with spinning rust. It makes me literally mad. And to think that those were state of the art up until very few years ago...

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SSD isn't the way of the future. It's the way of right now, and that's if you are late.

Starting rule of thumb: don't buy home-use HDDs. Those are the tech of the past. They're over for home users and most gamers.

This is becoming less of an opinionated generalization and more of a universal ... fact? as the months wear on.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

SSD isn't the way of the future. It's the way of right now, and that's if you are late.

Starting rule of thumb: don't buy home-use HDDs. Those are the tech of the past. They're over for home users and most gamers.

This is becoming less of an opinionated generalization and more of a universal ... fact? as the months wear on.

Do you have any idea how expensive it would be to store all my Linux ISOs on flash

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I wouldn't call you a home user.

Cue tit-for-tat discussion on the broad gray lines between home users, gamers, enthusiasts, SOHO, SMB, and mid / full enterprise.

Extra points for nested venn diagrams.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

VostokProgram posted:

Do you have any idea how expensive it would be to store all my Linux ISOs on flash

I can't tell if a massive amount of Linux ISOs + anime avatar makes this a joke or serious post

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Potato Salad posted:

I thought NVME is the way of the future now.

Hey buddo nothing wrong with HGST DeskStar 4tb for media storage. No way in hell I'm paying the prices they are charging for SSD storage.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Agrajag posted:

I thought NVME is the way of the future now.

Hey buddo nothing wrong with HGST DeskStar 4tb for media storage. No way in hell I'm paying the prices they are charging for SSD storage.

NVMe's a *glimpse* at the future. The interconnect isn't ideal, and it takes up too much space on a motherboard, but it does allow OEMs and console makers to use thinner and smaller chassis.

Honestly, the most 'exciting' development on the horizon are DRAM-less SSDs. Right now they're not large enough and cost too much, but as NAND gets better, you'll be able to affordably eliminate HDDs for storage altogether in favor of SSDs that might only make ~300MB/sec, but they'll do it at the same low latency as a current SSD, with no moving parts. I'd love a 4TB 3.5" block of slower NAND in favor of a 4TB spinner.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BIG HEADLINE posted:

NVMe's a *glimpse* at the future. The interconnect isn't ideal, and it takes up too much space on a motherboard, but it does allow OEMs and console makers to use thinner and smaller chassis.

Honestly, the most 'exciting' development on the horizon are DRAM-less SSDs. Right now they're not large enough and cost too much, but as NAND gets better, you'll be able to affordably eliminate HDDs for storage altogether in favor of SSDs that might only make ~300MB/sec, but they'll do it at the same low latency as a current SSD, with no moving parts. I'd love a 4TB 3.5" block of slower NAND in favor of a 4TB spinner.

Read that got me soooo excited.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

VostokProgram posted:

That's why you get a NAS, with spinning rust...

...and an SSD cache drive!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They'll have to include some form of long term power source in them though since SSD's aren't as effective at long-term data storage as a HDD is.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

SourKraut posted:

They'll have to include some form of long term power source in them though since SSD's aren't as effective at long-term data storage as a HDD is.

whats the definition of long-term storage?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Agrajag posted:

Today, for home users? Cloud.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Agrajag posted:

Park data on it and let it sit for > 1 year on a shelf.

Potato Salad posted:

Today, for home users? Cloud.
Should be one of the methods used, but not the only.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

metallicaeg posted:

I can't tell if a massive amount of Linux ISOs + anime avatar makes this a joke or serious post

A little of one, a little of the other

But, actual question, I want to get a second ssd to use as a steam library. I've been kicking myself for missing the black Friday deal on the 1 TB 850 evo. Is there a decent 500 GB or 1 TB drive that's cheaper than the evo?

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I use a Sandisk x400 for that exact purpose. It's $265 for 1tb vs $319 for the 850 evo 1tb.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the x400 is a great line of drives. The best cheap option.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Samsung Magician has been bumped up to v5.0. Sleek new UI with not many user options. They finally got rid of all the useless performance 'optimisations'

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cowwan posted:

I use a Sandisk x400 for that exact purpose. It's $265 for 1tb vs $319 for the 850 evo 1tb.

I've bought new in box 850 Evo 1tb from Newegg on eBay for $260. In fact, I've bought three of them. They've sold them multiple times on eBay with batches of 300-400+.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

SourKraut posted:

Park data on it and let it sit for > 1 year on a shelf.

Well sure, SSDs can't be used for that, but I doubt anyone was even thinking of using them like that. Maybe you should look into Blu-Ray disks, they should last even longer than harddrives in offline storage.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I just "scored" this 512 GB NVME SSD of craigslist for $100.

I quote scored because I dont know if it works, I've certainly never heard of Lite-On whom I associate $8 DVD drives with having a sticker on cutting edge SSD technology, and frankly the "Dell Products" tag makes me think (know) this is stolen lol

He said his sister gave it to him, although he was otherwise very well versed in computer tech and was totally willing for me to pop it into a laptop to check it, he conveniently did not know where "she" got it

This drive was the last piece of the puzzle for my little MITX monster machine. Guess its time to sell and do it all over, I heard there was a 0.4% improvement over skylake with the new Intel stuff I gotta have it

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It's probably just a Dell OEM drive. Not really surprising for Lite-On to make it, they could totally be an ODM for other companies' SSDs too.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Eletriarnation posted:

It's probably just a Dell OEM drive. Not really surprising for Lite-On to make it, they could totally be an ODM for other companies' SSDs too.

Oh yeah im sure. Perhaps a work laptop got an equivalent amount of cheap rear end SSD space in its place ...

In any case, it seems to work just installed Windows and the read/write usage is pretty much exactly what he said

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

They have the specs on their site: http://www.liteonssd.com/pcie-ssd/CX2-SERIES.html.

Lite-On's also apparently the parent company of Plextor, and Plextor's M8Pe "shares its hardware platform with parent company Lite-On's CX2 client SSD for the OEM market" (Anandtech). The Lite-On's specs are a little more conservative, though.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Grog posted:

They have the specs on their site: http://www.liteonssd.com/pcie-ssd/CX2-SERIES.html.

Lite-On's also apparently the parent company of Plextor, and Plextor's M8Pe "shares its hardware platform with parent company Lite-On's CX2 client SSD for the OEM market" (Anandtech). The Lite-On's specs are a little more conservative, though.

Oh nice, sweet. I didn't think I'd read a review of this, even if its a shared platform sort of thing. Seems like it was worth $100 at any rate

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

replacing a 512gb nvme drive with a lovely platter drive and giving the laptop back to your workplace seems like a really slick way of fencing for money since most people wouldn't actually notice

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Better pray the owning office isn't watching for that exact thing in system center.

"Excuse me, between 5pm Tuesday and 8am Wednesday someone hosed with tpm, there is a chassis intrusion and there's a new drive in the device."

"Holy poo poo someone broke into my home?"

"Looks like it, hey, don't worry, I'm taking the laptop right now, FBI will see if they can print / look for hair and see who stole hardware and encrypted important data, we'll tell you if someone is identified"

I wasn't involved when that happened, and to my knowledge it hasn't happened again.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 29, 2017

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

replacing a 512gb nvme drive with a lovely platter drive and giving the laptop back to your workplace seems like a really slick way of fencing for money since most people wouldn't actually notice

lol

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I've been reading about M2 drive heat problems. How much of this is just weird edge case events or something equally rare? I thought flash memory and such was supposed to be cool and quiet.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The controllers can use a good amount of energy for their size and what is often a very tight space with little airflow.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It is surprising how hot nvme drives get, the external of most u.2 drives are one big heatsink and will be VERY hot to the touch if it is workin hard. I think the intel 3700 is something like 25W active (10W idle) which is a fair amount for something not very big.

Once controllers move to smaller processes like how cpus do this will hopefully get better, but who knows once pcie gen4 comes around!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That said, it takes a moment to heat the hell up. 7s continuous full load for 950 PRO and it starts to thermally throttle if memory serves correctly.

If you're loading that thing full bore continuously for more than 7s, though, you've got a fairly heroic use case. 960 EVOs fixed this issue somewhat with the Polaris controller and a minor heat-spreading feature. I'm not aware of throttling being an issue in the real world on high-quality nvme for home, game, and productivity users. Let me know if you find a good case though.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
A number of newegg reviews are making GBS threads on the Plextor M8Pe for overheating, but I'm not one to judge accurately if that means much or not.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What kind of situations cause overheating? I just play videogames so I'd say that's a pretty common use.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dali Parton posted:

What kind of situations cause overheating? I just play videogames so I'd say that's a pretty common use.
actually using the sick throughput

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Dali Parton posted:

Here we go again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Potato Salad posted:

That said, it takes a moment to heat the hell up. 7s continuous full load for 950 PRO and it starts to thermally throttle if memory serves correctly.

If you're loading that thing full bore continuously for more than 7s, though, you've got a fairly heroic use case. 960 EVOs fixed this issue somewhat with the Polaris controller and a minor heat-spreading feature. I'm not aware of throttling being an issue in the real world on high-quality nvme for home, game, and productivity users. Let me know if you find a good case though.

Would playing a game that is installed on a 960 EVO encounter heat problems?