Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are we getting a 3.Oh or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Presumably the AI team would be dealing with having the AI handle a day/night cycle.

IF TIME=(NIGHT) then SLEEP

Sort of thing?

I mean, this is CIG, but still.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Lladre posted:

Are we getting a 3.Oh or not?

You'll get a patch called 3.0 in december hands down. Whether it will have even a quarter of that monster list of features is another story. We won't even have 2.6 technically til April.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TrustmeImLegit posted:

You'll get a patch called 3.0 in december hands down. Whether it will have even a quarter of that monster list of features is another story. We won't even have 2.6 technically til April.

This is CIG. They'll release 3.0 "come hell or high water" and trumpet this as a triumph, but of course "to make good on our promise of 3.0 we had to remove some of the features that weren't quite at the quality level we're comfortable with" etc. so 3.0 will release with no features at all, except a celebratory ship sale*.

*does not include ship

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TacticalNecromancy posted:

Presumably the AI team would be dealing with having the AI handle a day/night cycle.

Sort of thing?

In this sci-fi future of limitless imagination, all NPCs are either diurnal or nocturnal, also happen to match their work cycles to where the sun is, and all live on planets with Earth-like day/night cycles in the first place.

Chris is truly a visionary of our time. By which I mean he uses the sense of vision to look around at things happening in this time, and regurgitate them. Badly.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TacticalNecromancy posted:

Sort of thing?

I sure am looking forward to not being able to find the NPC I need because he's in bed and won't be available for another 8 hours. The one thing I crave in a video game is things I need being completely impossible to locate.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chalks posted:

I sure am looking forward to not being able to find the NPC I need because he's in bed and won't be available for another 8 hours. The one thing I crave in a video game is things I need being completely impossible to locate.

Didn't some of the later Ultima games do this? I distinctly remember horror stories of people rushing to get to healers and the like before they died from poisons or curses or something, only to arrive in the middle of the night and the healer not getting up until 6h later… 3 hours after the affected character died.

It would be truly CIG-like innovation to make that concept real-time too. :D

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
what's exciting in Erectile Dysfunction 2.4? Been meaning to get back into that

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chalks posted:

Somewhere there's a Citizen thinking this unironically

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Very likely a German.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Hahaha the 'especially awesome' sneak peek is literally called concept.jpg

Crusader Moon Concept Cellin
This week’s sneak peek is of a surface outpost on Cellin, one of Crusader’s moons. Visitors must be careful as the moon has over a hundred dormant volcanoes. This led to it being named Cellin after the youngest sibling in the children’s morality tale, “A Gift for Baba,” who is portrayed as stewing with anger.

Its just a jpg for a moon no ones ever seen.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Chalks posted:

The oblivion school of poking them until they wake up should work? Of course, you're as likely to wake them as you are banish them to the land of wind and ghosts, wake up someone in the wrong building and be caught in a horrifying nether-realm where you're talking to the wrong person in front of them while also being several rooms away or just accidentally deskeletonising them.

TacticalNecromancy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 27, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Scruffpuff posted:

This is CIG. They'll release 3.0 "come hell or high water" and trumpet this as a triumph, but of course "to make good on our promise of 3.0 we had to remove some of the features that weren't quite at the quality level we're comfortable with" etc. so 3.0 will release with no features at all, except a celebratory ship sale*.

*does not include ship

They will cut planetary landings but instead offer character creation as a trade off because "gently caress you guys, Braben is laughing at us! Laughing at ME! Aliens and character creation are #1 priority for the PTU now!"

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Reddit is full of threads saying everyone should just go take a break. Totally normal.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

DAMAGE REPORT!
Sir the citizens are finding it difficult to differentiate between earnest concern and FUD! It's becoming impossible to distinguish!
DEPLOY THE MOST HOPELESSLY POSITIVE RETARDS TO WHINE AND WHINGE! TELL THEM TO USE THE WORDS ENTITLED, AND TAKE A BREAK, AND OTHER THINGS THAT STOP THE DISSONANCE TEMPORARILY!
Sir, I tried to deploy the retard but it glitches and fired me through the ship into space and I'm dead. Luckily the super advanced AI is nowhere near completion and my actions are scripted or I'd be in pain.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Reddit is full of threads saying everyone should just go take a break. Totally normal.

That's actually pretty sound advice.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

It's very cut and dry to me, LA studio makes ads and bug fixes. F42 trawls through mocap footage and makes demo after demo. Tony Z and his Austin dudes ARE the 'AI team', 'planet landing', 'large map', '64bit position', 'localized physics', 'netcode'.

It's the same loving people making the same loving nothing. Trying to discuss if 3.0 is real is hilarious because like everything else it's fake and there are no actual teams you dumbos.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Lladre posted:

That's actually pretty sound advice.

Well they also say to come back and everything will be done and great.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

This week’s sneak peek is of a surface outpost on Cellin, one of Crusader’s moons. Visitors must be careful as the moon has over a hundred dormant volcanoes. This led to it being named Cellin after the youngest sibling in the children’s morality tale, “A Gift for Baba,” who is portrayed as stewing with anger.

That's no moon, it's a jpeg.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

I would value that jpeg at 2.3 million dollars

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SelenicMartian posted:

you notice how the real moon only shows one side to the earth?

yeah

cupitor
Oct 13, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

CIG would never post a completely unachievable hype jpeg.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Seriously though what's the point of a surface outpost on that dead rock

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Whoo..thank the heavens that earth doesn't haven't many. Next they'll generate a planet with a super large dormant volcano.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

you notice how the real moon only shows one side to the earth?

yeah

It's apparently still no moon (now anyway):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l1Y7zsdLJc&t=60s

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn28487-our-moon-would-be-a-planet-under-new-definition-of-planethood/

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?
Any one know how CIG handles someones account if they die? Unfortunately have to ask as a gaming buddy had a stroke and they took him off life support this afternoon.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Berious posted:

what's exciting in Erectile Dysfunction 2.4? Been meaning to get back into that

Frontier announced the beta date for 2.3 today: Feb 26th. That will add multi-crew and avatar creator to the game. What will be in 2.4 is still very much ??? at the moment.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Any one know how CIG handles someones account if they die? Unfortunately have to ask as a gaming buddy had a stroke and they took him off life support this afternoon.

I'm so sorry, that's really sad.

I imagine they don't do anything with it and I'm not sure they'll have a process in place to allow someone else to access an account even in a situation like this. Unfortunately I imagine it would just be too easy to fake something like this to mess with someone.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

That's terrible :(

Not sure how you mean by handling it though. His estate could probably ask for a refund, I'd be astonished if CIG would question that.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chalks posted:

I'm so sorry, that's really sad.

I imagine they don't do anything with it and I'm not sure they'll have a process in place to allow someone else to access an account even in a situation like this. Unfortunately I imagine it would just be too easy to fake something like this to mess with someone.

I don't know the American for this but there'll be laws governing this for sure. his estate could show it's got right of attorney

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

drat. Sorry to read that. Was he married? Typically, if an executor knew about the account/knew what to do, they would liquidate (refund) the account into cash and distribute to the heirs. In reality, probably not something most people would consider. If he has a substantial amount and married, maybe help the wife/kids process a refund some time after the funeral. (or email the executor a quick note with links to the refund details.)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Seriously though what's the point of a surface outpost on that dead rock

Space fuel cartel conspiracy — just think how much extra they make from everyone going down and up the gravity well all the time, especially if there's no atmosphere and they have to do powered descents.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Oh god no, if there's one thing I am utterly afraid of, it's the ever present threat of dormant volcanoes, especially if there is up to and including one whole hundred of them. Be very careful of the immediate danger commandos, especially when visiting.

I grew up in a village that was located right next to a dormat volcano that has lain dormant for nearly 30,000 years (this is actually true), I'll never forget the silence, the complete lack of activity, and worst of all, the lack of lava flows and devastation normally associated with ACTIVE volcanoes. :shrug:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Frontier announced the beta date for 2.3 today: Feb 26th. That will add multi-crew and avatar creator to the game. What will be in 2.4 is still very much ??? at the moment.

Oh nice, dressing up my dolly will be fun

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

His estate could probably ask for a refund, I'd be astonished if CIG would question that.
I wouldn't be.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

condolences man.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

D_Smart posted:

They're lying. I 100% guarantee it. But also, in the interest of plausible deniability, they didn't say they'd done it, or were doing it; but only that's how they want to do it.

Seriously, the netcode sux balls. The game's performance is horrid. But they're going to do planetary rotations which relies on both client and network performance. Yeah, OK.

HINT: You don't need AI to do day/night cycles or planetary rotations. LoD has both day and night cycles - zero AI or planetary rotations required - fully dynamic (dawn to dusk)

I really like your ship designs and the color choices you make. Its turning out to be an awesome looking game. Also, seriously, thank you for not just using 4 shades of gray. Its a really nice change from standard scifi drab colors.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

SC has permadeath so the problem is basically solved.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
You say there's volcanoes?

Not just volcanoes man. Dormant volcanoes :derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sabreseven posted:

Oh god no, if there's one thing I am utterly afraid of, it's the ever present threat of dormant volcanoes, especially if there is up to and including one whole hundred of them. Be very careful of the immediate danger commandos, especially when visiting.

I grew up in a village that was located right next to a dormat volcano that has lain dormant for nearly 30,000 years (this is actually true), I'll never forget the silence, the complete lack of activity, and worst of all, the lack of lava flows and devastation normally associated with ACTIVE volcanoes. :shrug:

Was going to say, I'm not a geologist but I thought active volcanoes were more of a problem. I guess it's a bad idea to fly into a dormant volcano, but it's a bad idea to fly into a mountain as well.