Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Mad was WB animation. Though yeah CN also gave the

treatment to the CN Studios produced Sym-Bionic Titan, Robotomy, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, and Problem Solverz

Plus Ben 10 Ultimate Alien and Omniverse both got proper finales if you count the different Ben 10's as separate shows

Kind of. But, I don't think Regular Show will be rebooted.

It feels like it's going to end-end.

Ben 10 will keep going forever.

Scooby-Doo will keep going forever.

I think that's the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Regular Show ended, and Adventure Time is going to end in early 2018. It's the end of an era for Cartoon Network, but they'll do fine. Those two shows put them back on the map.

I'm not sure whether I learned this from this thread or somewhere else, but The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack has quite the track record of people involved with the show doing other things. Regular Show, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, and Over the Garden Wall were all created by people who worked on that show.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If bronies couldn't kill MLP then furries can't kill Zootopia.
Disney sought the advice of furries on how to make Zootopia better. This is the world we live in now.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I need to go back and re-watch Flapjack as well as Chowder.

I remember loving Chowder's super upbeat, bright and colorful world, and the grungy, and weird world of Flapjack. (I guess those kind of both did get endings, and weren't ever picked back up.)

KND did, too. I don't know if those are from the same, new "era" as Regular Show, Adventure Time and SU.

I'll always be sad we didn't get more Sym-Biotic Titan. THE HAMMER. Netflix' Voltron kind of eases that loss, though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

get that OUT of my face posted:

Regular Show ended, and Adventure Time is going to end in early 2018. It's the end of an era for Cartoon Network, but they'll do fine. Those two shows put them back on the map.

I'm not sure whether I learned this from this thread or somewhere else, but The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack has quite the track record of people involved with the show doing other things. Regular Show, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, and Over the Garden Wall were all created by people who worked on that show.

Disney sought the advice of furries on how to make Zootopia better. This is the world we live in now.

Yeah Flapjack is basically this era's Rocko's Modern Life or Mighty Mouse in that regard

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Chowder and Flapjack are part of the pre-AT/RS era, they were more contemporary with Samurai Jack and were part of that bad old era where shows got murdered after 52 episodes and the person who was running CN hated cartoons and wanted to cram in lovely live-action wherever possible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I believe CN was still really shaken after Boston, too.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Waffleman_ posted:

I believe CN was still really shaken after Boston, too.

Wait, what?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Adult Swim promo went bad, they put all these lite brite looking things around the city and people called in because they thought they were bombs.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
It cost Warner something like $2 million in a settlement to the city and was a huge black eye for their PR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_Mooninite_panic

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I thought the PR takeaway from that was more "the city overreacted" than "Turner was irresponsible."

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hearing about the bomb scare on the radio and then coming home and seeing pictures of the "bombs" before it had been officially been revealed what they were was one of the most amusing moments of my entire life. I also, just by chance, saw the artists that were behind that do a DJ set and during it they played footage of them going around the city setting the Mooninites up, which was oddly rad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Regular Show probably didn't deserve as much of a huge sendoff as it got, but it's nice that it got one all the same. Really meta and cheesy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

New episodes of Gumball are coming!

In February!

EVERY DAY

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Surely you mean every weekday and not all 28 days.

Also nice of them to cheap out and skip the leap year.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They were very specific in saying every day and not every weekday.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I recently remembered that Super Monkey Robot Team Hyperforce Go! existed. I never really watched it when it came out but looking at the wiki, it had a pretty good voice cast.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I got a spot at that new Butch Hartman cartoon Bunsen is a Beast and I know it's a show aimed at children but the humour was so bad that I don't even children would be entertained by it. Many jokes are overexplained (if they only require one line they get three or four) and the main antagonist has a very annoying spitty voice.

Meanwhile I'm slowly binging through Danny Phantom and I like this show but I don't know if it's better with Hartman's style of storytelling. It's not a bland show but it's not as stylistically interesting as it could be and I think that's because Hartman's involvement.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

DoubleCakes posted:

I got a spot at that new Butch Hartman cartoon Bunsen is a Beast and I know it's a show aimed at children but the humour was so bad that I don't even children would be entertained by it. Many jokes are overexplained (if they only require one line they get three or four) and the main antagonist has a very annoying spitty voice.

Meanwhile I'm slowly binging through Danny Phantom and I like this show but I don't know if it's better with Hartman's style of storytelling. It's not a bland show but it's not as stylistically interesting as it could be and I think that's because Hartman's involvement.

I think I mentioned it way back, but IIRC they hired Stephen Silver to do designs and then decided "gently caress it, just do it all in Butch's formula". It was the completely wrong style both artistically and cinematographically for a show that wanted to attempt action/adventure.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Bunsen is a Beast isn't really a show I can't really devote to watching and keeping up with, but I do appreciate how very Nickelodeon the art style of the show is. Like with the exception of the flash/toon boom-esque animation of it, it would fit right in with the 90s Nickelodeon stuff. I also wouldn't have known it had anything to do with Butch Hartman had you guys not said anything.

Danny Phantom really shouldn't have had Hartman's art style attached to it, because it really didn't work. That style worked great for Fairly Oddparents, since it was such a comedy driven and spastic colorful kids show. But Danny Phantom wanted to be a bit more serious with sort of an ongoing story. But there were too many ways the characters moved and looked and stuff that was too reminiscent of FOP. Plus so much of the show was very action oriented, and the FOP style is just too... stiff? fla? to really pull that off

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Regular Show probably didn't deserve as much of a huge sendoff as it got, but it's nice that it got one all the same. Really meta and cheesy.
I liked the finale and the run-up to it. It was a good homage to the entire series.

Gaunab posted:

I recently remembered that Super Monkey Robot Team Hyperforce Go! existed. I never really watched it when it came out but looking at the wiki, it had a pretty good voice cast.
I watched reruns of it when I was in college. They showed it on Toon Disney (the precursor to Disney XD). It was OK. I've heard Kevin Michael Richardson in a lot of things, he has a very distinct voice. I'm amazed at Tom Kenny's range of voices. He's probably the best voice actor out there today.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Help me, General Kids Show Discussion Thread, you're my only hope.

I think Star Wars Rebels is cool and good, so I tried watching a few Clone Wars (the CG one, animated one was great) episodes. I kind of hate it...

I did some digging and apparently the whole series isn't even in chronological order, and people all recommend different jumping on points. I also found this list:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/05/the-essential-clone-wars-episodes-every-star-wars-fan-should-watch/

Is that a good place to start? Goons mostly have good taste, or at least bad taste in a similar way I do.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it's fine watching from the start, but earlier on, it was definitely rougher. It's got a bit of a different tone than Rebels, less focused on a single group of characters, and more vignettes. I've never heard of the series being out of chronological order though, you can pretty clearly see a progression both in story and the series's growth as a whole. There are a few flashback episodes though, set before the series began.

That being said, there's something neat about watching series all out of order and disorganized like it was on TV. Every so often I wish I could set a DVD or one of these internet services on shuffle rather than go through linearly every time.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

So, Transformers Prime. I'm just over forty episodes in and loving it again. The first time I watched it I only went through the first season and then fell off, so it's nice to be finally closing the book.

I said before how good Arcee and Starscream are but Ratchet is performed wonderfully and Knock-Out's great too.

It's a not a perfect show. The inclusion of the kid trio is awkward for the first season and you can only have so many "Is he gonna die?s" before I get annoyed, but this is a lot of what I want from the Transformers so :)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I'm angry how clearly the regular show ending was written to be that they died then 15 billion years later would win the next fight by remembering instead of the glitch in time nonsense they did to return to the same battle.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

How is that clear at all?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

New Gumball will start Monday at 5, new episodes every weekday for the entire month.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cartoon Network has greenlit a series based on "Summer Camp Island," a short made by an Adventure Time writer and screened at Sundance.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I saw it. It was cute and funny but felt extremely derivative of AT's humor. Kinda disappointing because other shorts by that particular person have been way more interesting. Like this
https://vimeo.com/46233381

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 3, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs premieres in March with a month-long bomb.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I still say The Choices needs to be nominated for an Emmy.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

raditts posted:

How is that clear at all?

They made a big deal that when the fists meet like that time resets. Then the show reset back to the first episode. But instead of resetting the fight just went on for no real reason and they returned back to it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

what happened with regular show where the final episode ended up being some kinda dramatic battle? i only watched a bit of season 1 and it just kinda seemed like lowkey whimsical comedy at that point

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

what happened with regular show where the final episode ended up being some kinda dramatic battle? i only watched a bit of season 1 and it just kinda seemed like lowkey whimsical comedy at that point

They went to outer space.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

In true "we're a genre savvy show that's on our last season fashion," they go to space because major setting changes to try and revitalize a show is what always happens in an inevitable last season

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Like every episode of Regular Show was a simple low key problem ending in a wacky over the top confrontation so I think the impression that it was ever anything else and where it ended up is any different is what's confusing me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They made a big deal that when the fists meet like that time resets. Then the show reset back to the first episode. But instead of resetting the fight just went on for no real reason and they returned back to it.

They flew between the fists, so time reset but it was broken and hosed up because nobody existed but them. It was pretty unambiguous that way, if anything was clear it was that it was a parody of the "reset button" series endings.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the real peak was when they went to Planet Nielsen to hear about how their show was rated, but the whole planet was devastated by streaming wiping out most of the physical media, as well as taking over from normal broadcast. Got me to wondering what most content creators feel about streaming services taking over. I don't think they pay residuals like syndication does.

I was disappointed that there wasn't an SD card dude though.

Also, the Amazing World of Gumball is still great.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Futaba Anzu posted:

Starting in Season 6, each season had either an overarching plot or a theme that most of the episodes touched upon. Season 6 was a love triangle between Mordecai, Margaret (the cardinal) and CJ (a character introduced a couple seasons prior). It was bad, and even one of the last episodes admitted it. Season 7 was a character redemption of sorts about Rigby dating Eileen (the beaver girl who's Margaret's co-worker at the coffee shop) and finally graduating high school. This last season was about the park being launched into space and Pops being some kind of savior of the universe. I felt that both of those were pretty good, actually.

It never lost its sense of whimsy but callbacks to and appearances by old characters ramped up by the end, so how good it is depends on how you feel about that kind of thing.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

I saw it. It was cute and funny but felt extremely derivative of AT's humor. Kinda disappointing because other shorts by that particular person have been way more interesting. Like this
https://vimeo.com/46233381

Uh...did you link the wrong video? Cause I don't see how that's anything remotely like AT. It's actually pretty depressing and terrifying. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

^ You misread. Glam rock hamhock was calling the other short the animator did that got picked up derivative of Adventure Time, while citing the linked video as the more unique and interesting one.