Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yawgmoth posted:

Do you go into real restaurants and order "whatever I don't care" too?

I once walked into a Moroccan restaurant with about 20 other people and said "please feed us, whatever you recommend" and it was great. I sometimes tell a waiter I'll have whatever they recommend, it always works out.

Also, you should look into tasting menus. They're a whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Did that at a Thai place, pretty sure the elderly lady brought me yellow curry with potatoes, other veggies and chicken.

Maybe they'll have that same curry at Subway.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Subjunctive posted:

I once walked into a Moroccan restaurant with about 20 other people and said "please feed us, whatever you recommend" and it was great. I sometimes tell a waiter I'll have whatever they recommend, it always works out.

Also, you should look into tasting menus. They're a whole thing.
See I find that more acceptable because you're asking for their recommendation and trusting it, not telling them to guess blindly at what you want or will like. It gets you much the same thing (assuming the subway guy doesn't hate you for it and gives you the exact opposite because gently caress it you're gonna bitch anyways) but one has a much better tone.

And yes, tasting menus are :krad:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Instead of jumping on The Generals back, we should have offered him advice he could use. Preferably in the form of a flow chart. I'm working on one right now!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Instead of jumping on The Generals back, we should have offered him advice he could use. Preferably in the form of a flow chart. I'm working on one right now!

I don't need a flow chart. Generally at sitdown restaurants I just reach into my pocket and throw a wad of bills at the server. I give them a death glare if they open their mouths, and if sound comes out, I just produce a shrill shriek until food arrives.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The General posted:

I don't need a flow chart. Generally at sitdown restaurants I just reach into my pocket and throw a wad of bills at the server. I give them a death glare if they open their mouths, and if sound comes out, I just produce a shrill shriek until food arrives.

This is the rare derail in which both sides are entertaining me.

:munch: continue. Tell us about other decisions that you hate to make. Is your college transcript, for example, just a random assembly of arbitrary courses from every department, for which you received many failing grades for refusing to select an essay topic from the list provided by the instructor?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

CommonShore posted:

This is the rare derail in which both sides are entertaining me.

:munch: continue. Tell us about other decisions that you hate to make. Is your college transcript, for example, just a random assembly of arbitrary courses from every department, for which you received many failing grades for refusing to select an essay topic from the list provided by the instructor?

:same:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
As somebody who has worked at a Subway before, The General is absolutely right. I'd just fix him up what I thought was a nice sandwich if he said "I don't care" :shrug:

The General posted:

Alright, but don't be surprised is the waiters start stripping...

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Julias posted:

As somebody who has worked at a Subway before, The General is absolutely right. I'd just fix him up what I thought was a nice sandwich if he said "I don't care" :shrug:

"Here. This is my favorite sandwich."

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

You know, I agree with you, and you're not the first person to say the same thing. So it's that way on the bottom of the planet, too, huh? I wonder what the cause of Eau Du Subway really is? We have one built into a Circle K, and even when I go in just to buy a gallon of milk, I almost can't stand the smell. Weird.

I'm with you and Tiggum in the 'Subway smells loving weird and bad club'. Doesn't matter what country, Australia, UK or New Zealand are ones where I've smelt it, they have an overpowering sour and nasty yeast smell. Puts me off ever wanting to eat there.

I'm imagining The General on a dating site now.
"What's with all the questions?! I DON'T CARE WHAT LIFE PARTNER I GET JUST GIVE ME SOMEONE NOW!"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just don't eat at Subway because it's overpriced and lovely. That they ask you what you'd like on your bullshit sub is the best part.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I like Subway because it's the only place I could conceivably order a pizza sub with marinara sauce and then have them put that delicious southwest chipotle mayo and pickles on it. And other veggies, but those are the two that give people pause.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Aesop Poprock posted:

"Here. This is my favorite sandwich."

I'm assuming there's a flatbread or something under there to make it an open-faced sandwich. Otherwise, based on the spinach underneath, this is a salad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BraveUlysses posted:

that's a bad thing? would you prefer someone who apparently doesnt give a poo poo at all?
Yes. I value honesty.

Helith posted:

I'm imagining The General on a dating site now.
"What's with all the questions?! I DON'T CARE WHAT LIFE PARTNER I GET JUST GIVE ME SOMEONE NOW!"
That actually sounds like a great idea. No profiles, no pictures, just "Here is someone who lives near you. Talk to them."

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tiggum posted:

Yes. I value honesty.

Not everyone who is upbeat is faking it

hth, autistic goon

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2011/12/07/whats-behind-the-subway-bread-smell/

:iiam:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The few times I went to Subway I never came away feeling great about my sandwich. Dunno what it was. Pretty sure I tried a few different stores too but no dice. Quiznos on the other hand was much better for fast-food subs. Not perfect mind you but they were generally good. My dad and I used to go every couple of weeks to have lunch and chat until they started closing branches everywhere. Do they even still exist? I haven't heard anything about them in a long time.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Subway and Quiznos are both trash compared to Togo's. Apparently Togo's only exists in California though so...

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FPzero posted:

The few times I went to Subway I never came away feeling great about my sandwich. Dunno what it was. Pretty sure I tried a few different stores too but no dice. Quiznos on the other hand was much better for fast-food subs. Not perfect mind you but they were generally good. My dad and I used to go every couple of weeks to have lunch and chat until they started closing branches everywhere. Do they even still exist? I haven't heard anything about them in a long time.

There are very few of them left compared to a few years ago. I think something changed with corporate and it became really expensive to run a franchise so they started folding.

https://medium.com/@james_dasilva/how-quiznos-failed-itself-by-failing-its-franchisees-cc74040ad375#.rzq3r7m9k

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plinkey posted:

There are very few of them left compared to a few years ago. I think something changed with corporate and it became really expensive to run a franchise so they started folding.

https://medium.com/@james_dasilva/how-quiznos-failed-itself-by-failing-its-franchisees-cc74040ad375#.rzq3r7m9k

Weren't they like really bad at franchise contracts, as well? Also, I think they over-saturated the market in some areas, until they crashed.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

whiteyfats posted:

Weren't they like really bad at franchise contracts, as well? Also, I think they over-saturated the market in some areas, until they crashed.

Yeah, it sounds like a combo of being an expensive franchise, over predicting the market demand, having franchise buy supplies from corporate for more than market value, subway's $5 footlong thing, and places like Pot Belly's and Jimmy Johns starting to show up for cheaper. I always thought Quiznos was horribly expensive compared to almost anywhere else.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
beach hut is the s+ tier sandwich shop but their aesthetic is deeply embarassing

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I used to work at a Subway a million years ago, and IMO the weird smell is just because at most places the employees suck at making the bread. It's not exactly a complicated process, but there's still multiple steps and if you gently caress it up the bread gets musty and weird.

Seeing as how the employees have to deal with weirdos that can't look at a salad bar that's right in front of them and choose for themselves what they want, they're probably not paid enough to also really give a poo poo about exact proofing and cooling times.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
How hard can it be to pick a topping at random if the customer tells you they don't care what you put in their sandwich?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Because a customer who would do that sounds douchey enough to still complain if they don't like it probably.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

quick, get me a pizza stone and a clay oven stat we can save him.

wait why are ketchup and mayo there?

OFFICER ARREST THOSE CONDIMENTS

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Mayo is great on pizza

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

caption from tumblr

quote:

im watchin this vlog and this dude took his gf to a vegan restaurant and this is literally what was served to them..literally..no seasoning.. nothing..just…this

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

angerbeet posted:

Mayo is great on pizza

Found the Korean

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

angerbeet posted:

Mayo is great on pizza

"No mayo" is like the first rule of pizza.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bud K ninja sword posted:

quick, get me a pizza stone and a clay oven stat we can save him.

wait why are ketchup and mayo there?

OFFICER ARREST THOSE CONDIMENTS

For real. It should have been grated parm, pepper flakes, oregano, and garlic salt.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm curious how the General would handle a Which Wich, where you fill out a sandwich checklist on the bag and hand it to the people behind the counter. Maybe just draw a dick on the bag?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Brawnfire posted:

For real. It should have been grated parm, pepper flakes, oregano, and garlic salt.

This.

Mayo is a common pizza topping in several Asian countries, and I don't know why :barf:

Admittedly, a lot of Asian Mayor tend to be sweeter than American Mayo, but still!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Asian Mayor tend to be sweeter than American Mayo

hellooo thread title

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Mymla posted:

"No mayo" is like the first rule of pizza.

no pizza rules :colbert:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Someone post that video of a guy squeezing half a bottle of what looks like mayo (I forgot what it really was) over a pizza. Just imagine it's mayo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mng posted:

Someone post that video of a guy squeezing half a bottle of what looks like mayo (I forgot what it really was) over a pizza. Just imagine it's mayo.

It was catupiry, a Brazilian cream cheese

I like catupiry but put enough of it on a pizza and the results look like they belong in here

e:found the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5gTx1fVU4

Alaois has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Jan 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alaois posted:

It was catupiry, a Brazilian cream cheese

I like catupiry but put enough of it on a pizza and the results look like they belong in here

e:found the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5gTx1fVU4

It's better when you put it with some calabrese sausage on a Calzone. I love them!