Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/825074895562366976
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/825356487572742144
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/825357631556575232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Xaerael posted:

I feel like there's about to be another Sad Trombone moment for MoMA...

he needs a cock ring that works like his belt. you know to make sure everything stays inflated like his ego.

oops read that as limp bizkit.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Does this guy ever I dunno, do any work? Have a job? Have a family?

I wish I had enough free time to play more than one or two games maybe once or twice a week. :(

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

OK, this is my prediction:

Before mid year, a hired company has been brought on to do major work. 50%> chance that company is Chinese.
Mid year-last quarter: "Everything is going great guys, expect 3.0* by xmas!"
Xmas 2017: "Working with a Chinese studio has proven harder than expected, 3.0* is going to have to be delayed a bit longer, probably 1st 1/4 2018

*"3.0" is replaceable since they will probably shovel out 'something' with no substance that doesn't resemble anything they said will be in 3.0. Jesus patch effect, etc.

to be fair this would be better in a blog

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Xaerael posted:

OK, this is my prediction:

Before mid year, a hired company has been brought on to do major work. 50%> chance that company is Chinese.
Mid year-last quarter: "Everything is going great guys, expect 3.0* by xmas!"
Xmas 2017: "Working with a Chinese studio has proven harder than expected, 3.0* is going to have to be delayed a bit longer, probably 1st 1/4 2018

*"3.0" is replaceable since they will probably shovel out 'something' with no substance that doesn't resemble anything they said will be in 3.0. Jesus patch effect, etc.

guys we just hired a translator and we should be up to speed. here is a jpeg buy it.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Wait. So you're on the record as saying that there were no departures on Friday?

*Mass* departures. If a person or two left, I'd like to know how that equates to "mass."

Oh, and what does putting me on record have to do with anything?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

*Mass* departures. If a person or two left, I'd like to know how that equates to "mass."

Depends on how much they weigh, dumbass.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Production normally indicates when the team size is increased in order to fill the prototype/verticle slice with content. CIG never having a verticle slice means they ramped up and had nothing to do.

This guy is confusing "production" with start of the game design; if you can call what CIG has done game design that is.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The citizens were actually right. Production hasn't really started yet.

What we have is theorycrafting, some tool building, and a few tech demos to keep the cash coming in.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My favorite part of all of this is that any "reasonable" prediction about scheduling now would have been considered FUD-laced trolling a year ago.

That is what happens when the mentally broken draw firm lines in quicksand.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
yeah, I will say I don't know specifics of who left but that it was more than just "one or two" people lol

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Given your track record?

Absolutely nothing aside from our chuckles.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also what exactly is ground breaking about this project

I have never understood the "they are creating tech that's never been designed before" line

there's no technology here that hasn't been used before

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I have never understood the "they are creating tech that's never been designed before" line

Now now, give them due credit. The website/propaganda that can consistently separate spergs from their money?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

Marketing Tech

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

No but you see, Star Citizen is taking all games and genres and smashing them together like a toddler does with several jars of playdough and hoping that its parents will approve of the result.

Its a 1st Person 3rd Person Farming Trading Economics Flight Sim Combat Game with literally any scenario you can think of being possible!

Can your character get cancer? Yes, of course!

Can you adopt a pet, and will that pet have a detailed background that would make even the most accomplished poet, and novelist, weep at the detail and prose? loving DUH IT WILL!

Can I make all my money back from selling in-game items to other players so that my 10,000 dollar investment doesn't look so loving stupid? GET CHRIS ON THE LINE, HE CAN ARRANGE IT!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TheAgent posted:

The techs that allow the backers to become Operating Citizen V's?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

While I don't trust an Agent rumour, I'd trust a MOMA rumour even less.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TheAgent posted:

In order to fulfil their promises they would need to create tech that's never been made before.

So, if you believe they're working towards fulfilling their promises, they MUST be working on tech that's never been made before.

There is another explanation though

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Tokamak posted:

While I don't trust an Agent rumour, I'd trust a MOMA rumour even less.

You just don't have faith, unworthy rumour locust

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Nah guys, I can't go out to the bar, I'm already planning on speculating about a game this weekend.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Nah guys, I can't go out today, I'm too busy telling people that what they are doing is bad and wrong and so is doxxing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Do you think Ben could take up knitting?

He's shown that he actually can t-rex well enough to make his hands meet up, so that part is covered. The problem is that he'd have to learn to do it by touch rather than by sight.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

Decent salary managing a multi-million dollar marketing campaign for a company making a revolutionary game? Sounds good. Sign me up.

:lol:

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

I really hope they can release a working single player game so my stuck money there will have some value

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ben alone is considered a Mass Departure

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

TheAgent posted:

Ben fell off his chair once.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Look, what I'm trying to say is he's fat.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Yea he definitely eats too much

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

https://www.playhellion.com/

Helions countdown until people can start playing.

For the discerning space gamer (and goons who want to construct goatse/dong style stations and crew it with clewns, buttbots and robotisists). :)

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

MoMA I think you missed my question.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I know I said it a number of times: I really expect at least a mission or two out of SQ42 this year as a teaser, with release of SQ42 next year (summer maybe)? And I'm thinking we'll enter beta by the end of next year with full release in 2018. That said, my 'oh-poo poo' moment will likely be observation of progress by end of Q2 next year: if procedural tech, netcode and and other gameplay mechanics aren't more refined at that point, it's probably too far past a salvage point. Then again, I fully expect the grey-market to still be a viable alternative to offload most of my assets, even by Summer of next year.

Can you name your most crucial 'must be working in 2017' feature? Or 'Must be working by summer 2017' would be interesting as well. I'm pretty astonished a space game can get this far without demonstratable mining or trade. But tell us what you think is most important. It's very easy to argue over if the netcode has improved or not so please choose something concrete.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Well a mass shooting is formally 4 or more. So was it 4 or more? That would be a mass departure.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

BitBasher posted:

Well a mass shooting is formally 4 or more. So was it 4 or more? That would be a mass departure.

:eng101:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

12x12 is a lot of fun currently.

2017 CIG company wide tournament.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Decent salary managing a multi-million dollar marketing campaign for a company making a revolutionary game? Sounds good. Sign me up.

I'm gonna tell Sandi that Toast is gunning for her job.

She is not going to be pleased.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Nah guys, I can't go out to the bar, I'm already planning on speculating about a game this weekend.
both bars and the females that frequent them cause me an undue amount of stress and emotional suffering

space games, on the other hand, provide me with

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Contractors get paid more right? Like a lot more? But they can be axed fairly quickly I think too.

Smart long term thinking.

From my experience, it depends. Like you'll have degreed contractors that make $200/day with zero benefits and are willing to do it in order to get their foot in the door or because they're lovely and can't do any better or just because they don't want to work for a company long term and like to bounce around. You hire them to be peons and do poo poo that anyone could do but you don't want to or don't have time.

And you also have contractors that make $2,500/day because they're superstars in their field and you hire them for five or ten days at a time to do something very technical and specific.

The majority of the time it's somewhere in the middle where you're paying 50-100% more than a regular employee on a per day basis but you also save a lot of money on health insurance and 401k and vacation and poo poo, so the actual out of pocket difference isn't necessarily that huge.

There's probably a lot of variation between industries though so maybe it's different than my experience.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

12x12 is a lot of fun currently.

Certainly is a lot of fun to have so few players, I believe quake 2 was the last fps limited to 24 players. Such wonderful memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chalks posted:

Certainly is a lot of fun to have so few players, I believe quake 2 was the last fps limited to 24 players. Such wonderful memories.

Nuh-uh. Borderlands was limited to 4! Check-mate goonie.

Also, some BF modes limit the number of players and furthermore