Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I think that's pretty much the regular price for the kit. Basically figure about a hundred bucks for each bare tool, with two batteries and a charger thrown in if it's a larger kit.

I personally love my 3 amp hour batteries, I wouldn't want bigger unless I were using them with a grinder or something. For 90% of projects where you're switching between a dozen different tools, two 3 amp hour batteries will last you all day, and they charge fast enough the other battery will be ready by the time you need it anyways.

I'd personally get the larger combo kit with the circular saw, that's hands down my favorite tool of the bunch, with the impact driver a close second.

I'd also get a decent impact bit set. I recently got this milwaukee impact set for Christmas and it's just awesome. The Dewalt impact bit set is garbage though, for reference. The bits aren't cut well and just don't fit right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Powershift posted:

Also, check local industrial auctions for piles of old service carts. They sometimes go for peanuts and often have 4-6 beefy as all gently caress castors underneath.

Be weary though because there are also often 2 ton metalworking machines that also go for peanuts and are just begging you to take them home.

Will that 10 foot long cast iron press brake fit in your garage? who knows but it's $200.

I would say my lack of a shop+concrete floor basement has prevented me from making these decisions in the past but that would be a blatant lie, since I ended up with a free bridgeport and a free lathe and a free 60 gallon compressor and a free 3-phase monster of a drillpress with nowhere to put them.

What I'm saying is go to more places where cheap equipment is available and you'll find places to put them...

(zero casters were included but it was still worth it)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

OSU_Matthew posted:

I think that's pretty much the regular price for the kit. Basically figure about a hundred bucks for each bare tool, with two batteries and a charger thrown in if it's a larger kit.

I personally love my 3 amp hour batteries, I wouldn't want bigger unless I were using them with a grinder or something. For 90% of projects where you're switching between a dozen different tools, two 3 amp hour batteries will last you all day, and they charge fast enough the other battery will be ready by the time you need it anyways.

I'd personally get the larger combo kit with the circular saw, that's hands down my favorite tool of the bunch, with the impact driver a close second.

I'd also get a decent impact bit set. I recently got this milwaukee impact set for Christmas and it's just awesome. The Dewalt impact bit set is garbage though, for reference. The bits aren't cut well and just don't fit right.
The batteries are physically the same size. There aren't monsters like the 9.0Ah Milwaukee.

I wasn't a fan of the Milwaukee Shockwave stuff a few year ago. Unless they've improved the fit of the P2 bits, they used to be really loose. The R2 (S2) bits were fine, as were the P1.

The Makita Gold impact bits are loving great, however.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Been waffling on a lithium ion impact wrench for the past few weeks - finally pulled the trigger on a Dewalt DCF899P1.

Was originally considering a Milwaukee 2763 M18 but it's practically the same tool as the Dewalt above in terms of torque but is substantially longer and I like the light being on the base instead of just below the anvil.

Already eying the angle grinder and reciprocating saw that use the same battery ecosystem too :homebrew:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

sharkytm posted:

Those things are legit. The finish on my first #2 phillips bit is a little worn and I've had the set for about half the time I've owned the impact driver. In the first half of that drivers life (about the same number of screws) I broke about 6 of the Milwaukee bits and threw out a few others because they had worn down too much and started stripping screw heads.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
CamelCamelCamel just notified me that Amazon has a Warehouse Deal (essentially open box return) on the California Air Tools Compressor everyone here loves so much. Currently $101. Not sure what "acceptable" condition means, but they're pretty good about returns if you have an issue.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BeastOfExmoor posted:

CamelCamelCamel just notified me that Amazon has a Warehouse Deal (essentially open box return) on the California Air Tools Compressor everyone here loves so much. Currently $101. Not sure what "acceptable" condition means, but they're pretty good about returns if you have an issue.

Who here loves them? I haven't heard of them, but I'm looking for a quiet compressor. The specs on that look super weak, though. 2 cfm at 90psi is going to take a LONG time to do any work.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I definitely remember seeing one in AI at some point and all over the internet for a while. They're praised for how quiet they are but are definitely not intended to run any high CFM tools

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They come in larger sizes, too. Look at the scale of the air output on that compressor, it's tiny.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

sharkytm posted:

The batteries are physically the same size. There aren't monsters like the 9.0Ah Milwaukee.

I wasn't a fan of the Milwaukee Shockwave stuff a few year ago. Unless they've improved the fit of the P2 bits, they used to be really loose. The R2 (S2) bits were fine, as were the P1.

I am completely blown away by how good the Makita Gold phillips bits are. They fit so damned well it's honestly a little ridiculous. The magnetic holder is pretty good too.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Galler posted:

I definitely remember seeing one in AI at some point and all over the internet for a while. They're praised for how quiet they are but are definitely not intended to run any high CFM tools

I love mine. AL tanks, and quiet enough to use in the house, and I can still chat with the wife while it runs. QUIET. Not powerful, but perfect for nailers and whatnot.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Has anyone ever used a Turbine setup to paint?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaJnjfYUXSY

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/hvlp-turbine-paint-systems.529675/

It sounds perfect for anyone looking to paint in their own shop: Little overspray, uses very little paint, no need for an air compressor setup, professional quality paint job for $500.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 28, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

It sounds perfect for anyone looking to paint in their own shop: Little overspray, uses very little paint, no need for an air compressor setup, professional quality paint job for $500.

I had a Turbinaire HVLP and it was loving horrible. Would have worked good for staining cabinets but that's about it.
That's the only thing I've used so idk if there are better/worse products out there.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Holy poo poo. Let the research commence.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I need that.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Does anybody have a good recommendation on a snow blower? I'm about to be balls deep...

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Does anybody have a good recommendation on a snow blower? I'm about to be balls deep...

Ariens used to be the good stuff. Probably a Chinese company now but worth looking into.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

rdb posted:

Ariens used to be the good stuff. Probably a Chinese company now but worth looking into.

Ariens are still good but I personally prefer Husqvarna (kind of depends on the size you want though). They're less expensive, but I like the chute control more and they use LED headlights instead of bulbs. Ariens has a nicer transmission and the gearbox is probably more stout though. From memory, I don't think the Ariens have shear pins on the impeller itself (I know Troy-Bilt and Cub Cadet don't) so if the softball sized chunk of your rotting driveway or whatever misses the cutting blades and gets caught in the impeller instead you're SOL. Also, for some weird reason, Ariens still uses metal skid shoes even though everyone else is moving to plastic because it doesn't scratch your driveway up (seriously. People used to have to pay extra to buy a plastic set to change over.)

All the above applies to 2-stage snow blowers only. If you're going to be up to your balls in snow and looking at a single-stage, I'd recommend that you reconsider.

Lowe's sells both Husqvarna and Ariens so you can dick around with both (and Troy-Bilt, but only one of them is cheaper than a Husqvarna and takes >7 cranks of the auger to turn the chute around when you reach the end of the driveway and doesn't have headlights or heated hand grips or the thing that locks the auger control in the "on" position while you're holding the drive control down so you can fiddle with the controls while driving) but they don't have the cool fuel injected Ariens (that cost more than their carbureted brothers) that dealers (and Home Depot?) do, in case that matters to you. The Husqvarna I got at the beginning of the season has fired right up every time though, even when I don't use the electric starter.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

So it snowed like a foot here and finally I said gently caress it, I'm getting a snow blower. After doing a bunch of research, I decided on a 24" two stage recently. This one has more features than most comparably priced ones. Electric start, chute control, "power steering" (pretty sure it just freewheels one wheel or the other so it's a lot easier to turn), has like 6 loving speeds in forward and 2 in reverse, includes the the wear sliders (why some don't I don't know), a headlight, etc. There's a million handles, levers and knobs to control everything, it's silly. I ordered from HD because they delivered right to my house and brought it to my garage on a pallet for free. Had to do some minor assembly. Fired right up once I threw some gas in.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cadet-24-in-208cc-2-Stage-Electric-Start-Gas-Snow-Blower-with-Power-Steering-2X-24/207161450

It hasn't really snowed since. :v:

How big is your driveway/sidewalk? How much space do you have to store it?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Confirming that the power steering is a trigger that disengages the wheel on that side to make the machine turn. Ariens instead uses some weird automatic locking differential (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7_T0Ny9Jes). Most manufacturers don't put power steering on <27in models though because it isn't that hard to turn a smaller machine on a snowy driveway imo. I don't like the single lever chute control that Cub Cadet/Troy-Bilt use personally. On the Troy-Bilts, at least, there is more effort involved, but I don't know if they loosen up a bit over time.

BTW, Husqvarnas are currently $100 off at Lowe's right now (http://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-208cc-24-in-Two-Stage-Electric-Start-Gas-Snow-Blower-with-Heated-Handles-and-Headlights/50223009).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Cat Hatter posted:

I don't like the single lever chute control that Cub Cadet/Troy-Bilt use personally.

I can understand that, it's a little awkward in its operation but it works.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
My parents bought an ariens sometime in the 2000's. It definitely had a shear bolt.

Fwiw I see they offer a fuel injected model now. I had a fuel injected Subaru robin engined pressure washer. It started in two pulls every time even after it sat all winter. It was sooo nice and every time I dick with the choke on the Honda GX I have now I regret selling it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I love my old rear end Ariens 1032. I put a predator 14hp on it a few years ago, and now it shoots 50 feet.

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

sharkytm posted:

I love my old rear end Ariens 1032. I put a predator 14hp on it a few years ago, and now it shoots 50 feet.

Why did you go with the 14hp? Did you have to regear the pulleys for different engine speed? I was thinking about the $99 HF honda clone (6.5 hp?) to replace the old 6 hp tecumseh on my blower.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Thanks for all the input. Looks like a 27 inch Huskvarna 2 stage is a grand, and the 24 inch is 800. Are the three inches worth it? :mmmhmm:

What about chainsaws?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Thanks for all the input. Looks like a 27 inch Huskvarna 2 stage is a grand, and the 24 inch is 800. Are the three inches worth it? :mmmhmm:

What about chainsaws?

Where do you live, how much do you need to clear and what's the average snowfall? If it doesn't come with a larger engine I would go with a 24", we got lots of lake effect and poo poo would bog in the heavy wet stuff.

I like my stihl MS362CM, starts easy, plenty of power for the bar I have on it, however it's not cheap.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

jailbait#3 posted:

Why did you go with the 14hp? Did you have to regear the pulleys for different engine speed? I was thinking about the $99 HF honda clone (6.5 hp?) to replace the old 6 hp tecumseh on my blower.

It was the biggest that would fit... Naturally.

No difference in pulleys, the engine speeds were close enough.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I've got the 24" Husqvarna and it does my circle drive just fine. I've only had it for this year though and grew up with a 15" single stage so ymmv.

rdb posted:

My parents bought an ariens sometime in the 2000's. It definitely had a shear bolt...

The cutting augers have shear bolts but the impeller doesn't (I just checked), I don't know if the old ones did though. It's possible that with the gearing that it wouldn't help anyway and that's why nobody but Husqvarna puts shear bolts on the impeller?

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 30, 2017

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

sharkytm posted:

I finally caved and bought this impact. It's loving great. Lugs popped right off, brake calipers, ditto... Installed the new front hitch on my truck with nothing but this and 2 sockets.

I started making brackets to hang all my Makita stuff in a spot where I had a cabinet previously. I've got a lot of Makita tools...

Finished this today, and hung it up. I'm relatively happy with the final layout, but it'll need some tweaks.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

sharkytm posted:

Finished this today, and hung it up. I'm relatively happy with the final layout, but it'll need some tweaks.

This garage brought to you by Makita.

I'm so loving jealous.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Cat Hatter posted:

I've got the 24" Husqvarna and it does my circle drive just fine. I've only had it for this year though and grew up with a 15" single stage so ymmv.

The cutting augers have shear bolts but the impeller doesn't (I just checked), I don't know if the old ones did though. It's possible that with the gearing that it wouldn't help anyway and that's why nobody but Husqvarna puts shear bolts on the impeller?

I misunderstood what your original reference was. Not sure if it had a bolt on the impeller. I thought you were implying it had no sheer bolts whatsoever.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

What about chainsaws?

I dunno poo poo about snow blowers, but I have a little 16" husqvarna chainsaw and I have cut down some plenty large trees with it...

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

Nice. I really wish those chargers had an easy way to wall mount them. I think I'm going to try making a backing plate with recesses for the feet and using heavy zip ties to hold it in place. My Ridgid charger had keyholes on the back (too bad Ridgid sucks).

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Geoj posted:

Been waffling on a lithium ion impact wrench for the past few weeks - finally pulled the trigger on a Dewalt DCF899P1.

Put this through its paces today, overall pretty impressed. Only downside vs pneumatic is size and weight, definitely can't wedge it into tight spaces and it's pretty heavy.

Broke free a lower shock bolt that hasn't been touched in over 10 years, seemed like it had to hammer the fastener for a bit longer than expected but it eventually drove it out. Chews through other fasteners like lug nuts without even skipping a beat, and the middle power setting is perfect for reinstalling wheels - if I had to guess it applies about 90 ft-lbs of torque, plenty to seat the wheel and drop the car back down before finishing with a torque wrench.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 30, 2017

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

rdb posted:

I misunderstood what your original reference was. Not sure if it had a bolt on the impeller. I thought you were implying it had no sheer bolts whatsoever.

Fair enough, most people don't think about the impeller because its behind the augers and in theory you would hit one of those first. The only reason I was even looking for that is because my friend's wife managed to bullseye a newspaper right between the augers and get it wedged in the impeller pretty bad. I would have thought you'd practically have to try to miss the augers.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

One Day Fish Sale posted:

Nice. I really wish those chargers had an easy way to wall mount them. I think I'm going to try making a backing plate with recesses for the feet and using heavy zip ties to hold it in place. My Ridgid charger had keyholes on the back (too bad Ridgid sucks).

Me too. I used two pieces of wood with angles cut into them to secure them. I even notched the back one for the vents so they don't get hot. It's annoying, just like routers and switches with no keyholes.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

This garage brought to you by Makita.

I'm so loving jealous.

Thanks. I want a few other tools, but that's most of what I need.

The OMT is supposed to be good, and I could use a radio maybe.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 30, 2017

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Are there visible bloodstains on the finished piece?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm actually a little bit sad that my wife and I are moving to New York, because I was looking forward to buying a chain saw and a snow blower.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

sharkytm posted:

Me too. I used two pieces of wood with angles cut into them to secure them. I even notched the back one for the vents so they don't get hot. It's annoying, just like routers and switches with no keyholes.

Thanks. I want a few other tools, but that's most of what I need.

The OMT is supposed to be good, and I could use a radio maybe.

Don't forget a string trimmer! Also, can confirm, the oscillating multi tool is pretty great, especially the quick change chuck

Those brackets turned out awesome by the way! Much nicer than the shelf all mine are crammed on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
LOL, nope. No blood was shed in the garage, actually. I clamped my other hand onto it, plus it didn't bleed right away. The open fracture plus the compression injury meant it didn't bleed for a solid 30 seconds.

The Dr isn't sure what's gonna happen with my nail. It could come in fine, it could come in semi OK, or it could come in sideways crazy rear end gently caress. If that's the case, I'll get the nail killed completely. :airquote: Yay. :airquote:

OSU_Matthew posted:

Don't forget a string trimmer! Also, can confirm, the oscillating multi tool is pretty great, especially the quick change chuck

Those brackets turned out awesome by the way! Much nicer than the shelf all mine are crammed on.
I've got a Toro strimmer, probably going to keep that until it dies. The wife has a Ryobi hedge clipper, it's OK. We're thinking about ditching it, since it's our only Ryobi tool.

Thanks. The brackets are really simple. 3x3x1/2" HDPE angle, table saw, drill and impact. Sadly, I didn't even build the bracket for the sabre saw that I got injured mocking up.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 30, 2017