Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

JohnnyCanuck posted:

This is probably an extension issue (willing to bet Tab Mix Plus has something to do with it), and I haven't done any troubleshooting yet, but I figured I'd ask you guys first!

I have a bookmark folder with about 25 links in it (webcomix). I'll often middle-click to open everything in the folder up in tabs. Since 50.x, it seems to display the following behaviour:

1) The tabs don't actually load until I click on them
2) They'll often load a cached version of the page until I refresh, even if browser.cache.check_doc_frequency is set to 1.

Has anyone seen anything similar?

It's Tab Mix Plus. Go look at Events > New Tabs > Groups of bookmarks/history. I'm guessing you want to turn the second option in there off. Or just both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

Geemer posted:

It's Tab Mix Plus. Go look at Events > New Tabs > Groups of bookmarks/history. I'm guessing you want to turn the second option in there off. Or just both.

I've been having exactly the same problem recently, and this has fixed it. Thanks!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, it's real cool and good when a thing that makes it a giant pain in the rear end to look at the changelog decides to just turn on a new default like that. I guess they figure "if Mozilla and Microsoft can do it, so can we".

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Any way to hide the zoom level indicator in the URL bar (new in 51)? Now I have to aim when I want to click the dropdown menu, what a bunch of crock.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

mike12345 posted:

Any way to hide the zoom level indicator in the URL bar (new in 51)? Now I have to aim when I want to click the dropdown menu, what a bunch of crock.

code:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
#urlbar-zoom-button { display: none !important }
Paste into userChrome.css or a Stylish stylesheet, though you should probably disable updates on Stylish for the time being - at least until an update breaks it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Zoom level indicator seems like a great idea to put onto a Status Bar.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Wasn't 51 supposed to be the release that finally rolls out multiprocess for everyone? I don't see anything about it in release notes.

Second question: Does anyone know a download manager addon that puts the download manager in a tab and is compatible with multiprocess? I've been using Download Manager Tweak for years but it's not compatible with multiprocess and looks like it's dead. I don't even care what the download manager looks like really, as long as it's in a tab.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Lakitu7 posted:

Wasn't 51 supposed to be the release that finally rolls out multiprocess for everyone? I don't see anything about it in release notes.

Second question: Does anyone know a download manager addon that puts the download manager in a tab and is compatible with multiprocess? I've been using Download Manager Tweak for years but it's not compatible with multiprocess and looks like it's dead. I don't even care what the download manager looks like really, as long as it's in a tab.

Isn't there an about :config toggle for that?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I don't think so? I don't see anything like that in about:config and google searches just find extensions that haven't been updated in years.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Geemer posted:

That totally seems to have fixed both issues! Thanks so much!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Read posted:

code:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
#urlbar-zoom-button { display: none !important }
Paste into userChrome.css or a Stylish stylesheet, though you should probably disable updates on Stylish for the time being - at least until an update breaks it.

I can't find userChrome.css on my pc, but I have stylish. Will look into that. But I hoped it's some flag I can switch in about :config.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

mike12345 posted:

I can't find userChrome.css on my pc, but I have stylish. Will look into that. But I hoped it's some flag I can switch in about :config.

You have to make userChrome.css and its containing folder yourself, it's not there by default. The proper full path is %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<your profile>\chrome\userChrome.css.

Stylish is much easier to use though, so I'd recommend just doing that. I mentioned userChrome because some people dislike installing addons, and because there are privacy issues (eg: tracking every webpage you visit) with the Chrome version of Stylish after the addon was bought out - and it's unclear whether or not the changes will come to the Firefox version as well.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Read posted:

and because there are privacy issues (eg: tracking every webpage you visit) with the Chrome version of Stylish after the addon was bought out - and it's unclear whether or not the changes will come to the Firefox version as well.

So far no, the firefox version hasn't even been updated since mid-2016. Also mozilla only allows a lot of that stuff as opt-in, not opt-out.

(Though I don't know where they'd fall on this "we're not sending tracking data, it's loading new styles" method of selling your web history.)

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Fuuuck.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

That sucks, I use Findbar Tweak and Tab Groups, I guess it's not unexpected with the way extensions are going. I did start weaning myself off Tab Groups after it got spun out because I figured this would happen.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Even for the addons that can be made to work with the new APIs the shock of having to rewrite them more or less from scratch is going to cause many to just give up and not bother. The closest analog is when Opera rewrote itself to be Chrome after Opera 12, and it still hasn't recovered.

Mozilla's not going to put tons of work into allowing people to undo the work they just did on unwanted feature X (which is what classic theme restorer needs). We had a mass die off of addons for e10s but at least firefox is fast again; this is going to require even more substantial rewrites.

Mozilla is going to solve the XUL maintenance burden by reducing Firefox's market share so much that they stop needing to do any maintenance at all. This is purely to reduce the maintenance burden on Mozilla engineers so they can chase Chrome faster. The silver lining for users - that it'll be marginally faster (maybe?) - is just tin foil.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Desuwa posted:

The silver lining for users - that it'll be marginally faster (maybe?) - is just tin foil.

I've been following some of the Quantum stuff, and the performance benefits are ludicrous. As of 6 months ago, Quantum CSS was literally 4 times faster than the "regular" Gecko CSS engine. Apparently they've been optimizing it further since then.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Avenging Dentist posted:

I've been following some of the Quantum stuff, and the performance benefits are ludicrous. As of 6 months ago, Quantum CSS was literally 4 times faster than the "regular" Gecko CSS engine. Apparently they've been optimizing it further since then.

What do you use to measure it? Sounds neat

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Avenging Dentist posted:

That's actually really good and better than I'd have expected. I knew XUL addons were not performant but I hadn't considered how much else they'd be able to speed up without having to support XUL and other legacy technologies. I know for a fact that browser performance matters more to people than they're conscious of, and tiny improvements can lead to much more engagement by users, but even so I just can't see this tradeoff as being worth it.

Even as a heavy Firefox user I would Chrome to my family members because I honestly believe it's the best browser for the majority of users. But as a power user I find Chrome to be absolutely unusable as a daily driver and Firefox is the only remaining major browser I can stand. Even in the worst case scenario I can think of with WebExtensions Firefox is still probably going to remain the least bad for my personal use amongst the major browsers, and I'm not one to use a niche browser with limited support. If I were dedicated enough to hack the features I wanted into a browser I'd probably do it based on Chromium, but that's a pipe dream and I'll just grind my teeth and be miserable instead.

I'm probably among the most cynical about this because I'm one of the Opera 12 refugees.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

fishmech posted:

What do you use to measure it? Sounds neat

I gather that the Quantum CSS branch (stylo-central, I think) has some perf monitors in the toolbar. Here's a comparison shot from that branch circa June 2016: https://people-mozilla.org/~bholley/stylo-london-2016/stylo.html#5.0

Quantum CSS is neat because it's the first CSS engine I'm aware of that even attempts to use multiple cores.

e: Another rad feature coming soon is Quantum Compositor, which puts all the "talk to the GPU" code into a separate process, so when your graphics drivers crash, it takes Firefox approximately one second to restart it and then everything's back to normal.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 28, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Welp that one dude makes two of the extensions that are on my list of things that make use firefox. When they get rid of webextensions entirely I'll lose at least 3 or 4 others that I really like, probably.

If the only extensions that still work are the same ublock / greasemonkey / stylish combo that other browsers have, why exactly am I sticking with with this one? Extensions + configurability + UI are the reason I started using FF back when it was still phoenix. Now all browsers have basically the same UI, firefox is taking away user options more often than adding them, and my extensions are gonna be trash.

Looks like v52 will get an ESR version, so I guess I'll move to that for a while and use the time to decide between palemoon, reduced-function FF, or moving to vivaldi full time.

Desuwa posted:

I'm probably among the most cynical about this because I'm one of the Opera 12 refugees.

Have you been following vivaldi? That's now my secondary browser, but I can imagine it becoming my first choice if the future of firefox continues to be pessimistic.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
The bug in 51 where pressing enter in the address bar takes you to the last URL you typed is incredibly annoying
I keep pressing enter to recenter on an anchor and ending up deeply confused

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Am I supposed to be on Firefox 51.0.1 (32 bit)? Last I checked the "about firefox" only said 51.0.1, not including the 32 bit thing. am i just being paranoid?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

spit on my clit posted:

Am I supposed to be on Firefox 51.0.1 (32 bit)? Last I checked the "about firefox" only said 51.0.1, not including the 32 bit thing. am i just being paranoid?

32-bit is normal for Firefox unless you went out of your way to install a 64-bit build in the past (sometimes these accidentally updated to 32-bit if I remember right)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

spit on my clit posted:

51.0.1 is the current version, yes.

I'm using x64 and don't have anything specifically calling that out in about firefox myself. Possibly they just now consider the x64 version to be at par with 32 so they've stopped distinguishing them. (the x64 were marked as experimental for a long-rear end time)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
About Firefox says 64 bit now for me for the first time. Pretty sure they added the bit tag in 51. Was using x64 for a long time, though.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Findbar is really cool, and then I got this notice today:

chrome://findbartweak/content/lastnotice.html
E: oops that's a local address:

http://fasezero.com/lastnotice.html
From this reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/5qmqdy/i_cannot_continue_working_on_my_addons_anymore_im/

Squish fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 29, 2017

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Im sure that the Chrome Firefox team will make good choices.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Is there anyway whatsoever to run the Unity web player in 64-bit Firefox? Yeah, I know it's basically deprecated, but still.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Killed By Death posted:

Is there anyway whatsoever to run the Unity web player in 64-bit Firefox? Yeah, I know it's basically deprecated, but still.

Give up, just install a 32bit browser (Firefox even) to use for this.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Killed By Death posted:

ESR 45? Or was x64 NPAPI gone even by then?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

dont be mean to me posted:

Not sure x64 NPAPI ever existed. Why do you want to run in 64bit?

ESR 32bit should work for you.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

wooger posted:

Not sure x64 NPAPI ever existed. Why do you want to run in 64bit?

ESR 32bit should work for you.

1) Unity wouldn't offer a 64-bit NPAPI plugin if 64-bit NPAPI never existed.

2) Killed by Death doesn't have to justify architecture choices to you.

3) Killed by Death was the one asking, not me.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 30, 2017

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

dont be mean to me posted:

Unfortunately it seems it was :(

wooger posted:

Why do you want to run in 64bit?
I was hoping to avoid having to use multiple browsers (and would prefer to use 64 bit as default), but oh well, can't be helped I guess.

Thanks anyway for the suggestions, guys.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Killed By Death posted:

Unfortunately it seems it was :(
I was hoping to avoid having to use multiple browsers (and would prefer to use 64 bit as default), but oh well, can't be helped I guess.

Thanks anyway for the suggestions, guys.

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid suggesting different architectures or versions of Firefox because I was hoping to avoid fights between them over your browser profile.

Realistically, the future of anyone whose use case mandates a lot of Unity Web Player involves a lot of Internet Explorer or Safari, which thanks to institutional inertia probably aren't ditching ActiveX/NPAPI any time soon.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Why have they still not changed the master password prompt so it's not so easy to spoof?

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101611

This bug has been open for 15 years...it doesn't seem like something that would be that hard to solve

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Mozilla is like Microsoft in that they will completely redesign their UI every few years without rhyme nor reason, but odd little warts like modal dialogs or the font picker will be unchanged since the Netscape/Win95 days.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

~Coxy posted:

Mozilla is like Microsoft in that they will completely redesign their UI every few years without rhyme nor reason, but odd little warts like modal dialogs or the font picker will be unchanged since the Netscape/Win95 days.

This is pretty much any large/enterprise software. Whatever dev or team that owns that particular thing just has way too much to do and doesn't get around to stuff like that. I see it in our software all the time where admin or rarely viewed screens look like they're straight out of 1996 because there's just too many priorities to bother.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

Welp that one dude makes two of the extensions that are on my list of things that make use firefox. When they get rid of webextensions entirely I'll lose at least 3 or 4 others that I really like, probably.

If the only extensions that still work are the same ublock / greasemonkey / stylish combo that other browsers have, why exactly am I sticking with with this one? Extensions + configurability + UI are the reason I started using FF back when it was still phoenix. Now all browsers have basically the same UI, firefox is taking away user options more often than adding them, and my extensions are gonna be trash.

I only use Firefox for the flexibility in extensions and most of them won't work in a year, very frustrating situation. Oh well, I will check out Vivaldi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I use firefox because I can have my tabs under the adress bar.

Why did the other browsers (and mozilla) change it to the top? I think most of them don't even allow you to switch it the bottom. I'm glad classic theme restore is a thing in firefox