Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

werbear posted:

Respawning F.O.E.s? That sounds... ugly. Killing them is my Plan B if I can't be bothered with the puzzle and my Plan A on return trips to the stratum.

I know F.O.E.s sometimes respawn if they are needed to progress but that usually only happens once you exit the room.
To my knowledge only the robots in the 4th Maze of EO4 respawn faster than that (which is a great surprise if you cleared the way forward but have a bot spawn in your back, spot you and resummon the dog you just defeated...)

Still, I am curious how it works out in EO5.

Depth Dancers from EOU say hi. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
What Clarste means by "respawning," if my memory serves me right, is that Heretic Sword-Corpse spawn points won't disappear if you just burn one from that point in the sun, but if you actually kill a Heretic Sword-Corpse from that spawn point, the spawn point will disappear for an in-game week.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, I just meant from the sunlight. In a certain sense, the real FOE is the clown car of corpses that they come from.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Ragnar Homsar posted:

What Clarste means by "respawning," if my memory serves me right, is that Heretic Sword-Corpse spawn points won't disappear if you just burn one from that point in the sun, but if you actually kill a Heretic Sword-Corpse from that spawn point, the spawn point will disappear for an in-game week.

Ah, now that sounds way better. You can get rid of them the old-fashioned way or can use the sun to give you some breathing room. But going during the day still does not simply remove the threat of the F.O.E.s - it only hinders their assault.
But you have to deal with damage floors in return.

That seems like an interesting design. It looks a bit more like of a trade-off than "F.O.E.s are asleep/awake" that the 3rd Stratum of both EO3 and EO2U offered. Or even compared to the hot/cold mechanic of the 3rd Maze of EO4.
Now the easier option has a downside.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The third stratum of EO2U blocked your progress if you travelled while the F.O.Es were asleep. I guess in that case they aren't giving you an option at all. Then the largebills and gigapedes of EO3 only showed up at day / night.

I'm looking forward to seeing the other F.O.Es of the stratum.

A little.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
I'm getting a real Castlevania-like vibe from some of these monsters, and not just the skeletons. I'm liking this stratum more and more.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

The third stratum of EO2U blocked your progress if you travelled while the F.O.Es were asleep. I guess in that case they aren't giving you an option at all.

It's been a while since I played EO2U, but if I'm not mistaken, those FOEs would block some paths by sleeping, but others would be blocking paths while awake, so the end effect was changing which path you took across the floor, not preventing progress altogether.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Efe posted:

I'm getting a real Castlevania-like vibe from some of these monsters, and not just the skeletons. I'm liking this stratum more and more.

It's been a while since I played EO2U, but if I'm not mistaken, those FOEs would block some paths by sleeping, but others would be blocking paths while awake, so the end effect was changing which path you took across the floor, not preventing progress altogether.

Actually, there is a mission you need to complete before you can move on, on the same floor where these nocturnal F.O.Es are, and you can only complete the mission at night, because the item you need to find is only found at night.

So no choice. For that part, at least.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

This image is both magnificent and topical, although I don't know that skeletons have any skin to apply the image to.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Hello, everyone! As my friends can attest if they fudge the truth a little, I've been hard at work on the next update. However, an idea occurred to me earlier today that I wanted to bat around before going any further.

See, I'm sure many of you know that SA has a 50k characters limit on posts (well, effectively more like 49k). My issue with this is that, due to how many small graphics I use for information (item icons, music links), depending on the update, these can end up eating 10k characters or more, once I also do normal image link replacements. This can be extremely annoying, and I've had several instances in EO5 where I've had to cut pretty significant portions of updates out to fit them in. (In EO2U, I had updates where I'd end up cutting out music links to fit them in the character limit!)

Now, my idea is simple: host updates as static HTML pages on my website, and link them here, instead of writing updates as forum posts. It's...really not that much more complicated than that, and I'm interested in hearing thoughts or objections to it.

(Also one small benefit of that method would be that pages with multiple updates don't end up potentially causing browsers to choke.)

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Having been around for most of the EO LPs and seeing how often post limits get in the way, I personally can't think of any reason not to do that. Music links are dumped, updates are cut short or split in to two, and overall it feels like that would be a much cleaner way of doing things. Might run in to issues when it comes time to Archive, but I have no idea how that specifically is done so I cant say for certain. I say go for it.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
I just looked through your LP and realized how many updates were cut in half.
So I'd say: go for it.

Etrian Odyssey is a game with clear break points - finishing a floor, completing some quests or at the very least finding another shortcut.
EO2U tried to give us a "save in the dungeon" feature but afaik it's horribly bugged.

I really love the framing of your posts (starting at the Inn with some friendly banter), the narrative, the input of your co-commentators, all the infos like materials and what they unlock.
There is nothing I would want to miss.
So instead of bending your LP to the character limit (or continiously cutting updates in half) I personally think bending the medium on which you present your updates to the needs of the LP is the right way.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

It's fine with me.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I don't mind it either, it's just one click away.

Would be neat if you have a small banner or something to link it, by the way, so it's not easily missed.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
https://rhematic.net/eo5_lp/u0/

Well, I whipped up a quick test using update 0. How's that look?

also I made a banner:

this'll 100% get peoples' attention

(in all seriousness that's just a placeholder till I have more time to make something)

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I think it looks fine.

I was on my phone though.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

this'll 100% get peoples' attention

It will 100% get the job done.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

(in all seriousness that's just a placeholder till I have more time to make something)

Don't rush, I saw this update banner and my day was officially made.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Ragnar Homsar posted:

How's that look?

Overall it's fine.
But to give some (hopefully) constructive criticism: on PC the lines are a bit long, running from one edge of the screen to the other.
I don't know how easy it would be to get two inches of border without screwing mobile users over.

If it's even a bit complicated or if no one besides me has a problem with the line length just leave it like that. I can resize my browser window for easier reading.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I actually started fixing that before I left for class; I just reverted style.css before I stopped.

My rule was limit width to 800px when the viewport is 801px or bigger; otherwise, it uses 100% max width. Could do with some refinement, probably.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Does the test-poster also hold to the 50k character limit? Because otherwise it seems to solve all the problems you solved by hosting updates on your website.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

vdate posted:

Does the test-poster also hold to the 50k character limit? Because otherwise it seems to solve all the problems you solved by hosting updates on your website.

I don't think the test poster is limited to 50k characters, but there's other formatting stuff that I can't do without hosting it on my own end.

Speaking of which:

https://rhematic.net/eo5_lp/u0/

Revamped a whole bunch of poo poo since I last posted the link. Any feedback on this current iteration?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Looks really good, especially the light grey background.

The big blue boxes feel a bit daunting but that's update 0 for you - there is a lot of stuff you have to talk about at once.
In combination with Edgar's text it works really well. And a quick look over one of your other updates leads me to believe we won't get too many huge splashes of solid color.
If you plan to put enemy bios, gathering point info and/or shop updates in boxes I would suggest you use something really calm and unintrusive - maybe another grey or even just white.

But having your comments in light blue and your co-commentators in stronger colors works well once the gameplay starts since there is enough variety.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Maybe testing with a normal update would be more helpful.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Looks really nice. I like it.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Clarste posted:

Maybe testing with a normal update would be more helpful.

Excellent idea.

https://rhematic.net/eo5_lp/u1/

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I did notice that none of the SA emoticons work ( :allears: being the particular one I noticed, but I'm sure there are more). Probably not a big deal, of course.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

GeneralYeti posted:

I did notice that none of the SA emoticons work ( :allears: being the particular one I noticed, but I'm sure there are more). Probably not a big deal, of course.

I think the :allears: in update 0 is literally the only emoticon we've used so far, so...

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
What!? :eyepop: We haven't used any more emoticons?! :cool: Sounds like a job for me

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

The boxes work really well as highlights now that they are not the majority of the update.
It's looking good.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
It is with a bit of exhaustion but mostly pleasure that I announce that all of the main LP updates are now hosted on my website as HTML pages. I've been incredibly busy this week, which is why that took a while and why I haven't had a chance to work on update 18, but I finally got some time to finish that up.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
I found a tiny mistake in your transition: While all the other class overviews have their proper names, the page title for the Necromancer one is "Update ##".

Edit:
The skill progression tables for Gunpowder Dragoon: Hypno Cannon and Deeply Compassionate Docter Herbalist: Lingering Scent seem to have been eaten. None of my browsers will display them.

And while bold works just fine, italics seem to cause some problems.
Base Dragoon: Bunker
Adamantine Dragoon: Full Guard
Gunpowder Dragoon: Hypno Cannon
Gunpowder Dragoon: Pillbox
Combo Boxer Cestus: Lead Blow
Reaper initial description
Death-Bringing Reaper: Fresh Blood Slash
Base Warlock: High-Speed Incantation
Necromancer initial description
Necromancer ghost description
Base Hound: Hunter Shot
Falcon-Accompanied Hound: Million Shot
should all have italics in their comments that just did not get translated.
Strangely enough the comment for the Spirit-Summoning Necromancer: Curse Bomb is bold, underlined and italics just fine.

Some images are not getting translated:
Update 2 about 80% down the scroll bar when talking to the first 3F bar patron there is an Item:0x06F2
Update 5 about 50% down on the list for the 5F, B2 Take Point

And some text has [sub] around it so I assume it should be small but just isn't:
Update 4 about 80% down in the banter between Lanzon and Mio after meeting Genetta on 3F
Update 6 right at the top
Update 9 about 40% down between Genetta finishing Friedrich's present and Friedrich's first text box
Update 13 about 50% down after you check your 3DS's battery and before cooking food
Update 15 about 10% down after meeting the guard on 10F and about 70% down after defeating the Hippogriff
Update 16 about 10% down after Sasha got her second name and about 25% down after Jana got hers

werbear fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 17, 2017

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

werbear posted:

I found a tiny mistake in your transition: While all the other class overviews have their proper names, the page title for the Necromancer one is "Update ##".

Edit:
The skill progression tables for Gunpowder Dragoon: Hypno Cannon and Deeply Compassionate Docter Herbalist: Lingering Scent seem to have been eaten. None of my browsers will display them.

And while bold works just fine, italics seem to cause some problems.
Base Dragoon: Bunker
Adamantine Dragoon: Full Guard
Gunpowder Dragoon: Hypno Cannon
Gunpowder Dragoon: Pillbox
Combo Boxer Cestus: Lead Blow
Reaper initial description
Death-Bringing Reaper: Fresh Blood Slash
Base Warlock: High-Speed Incantation
Necromancer initial description
Necromancer ghost description
Base Hound: Hunter Shot
Falcon-Accompanied Hound: Million Shot
should all have italics in their comments that just did not get translated.
Strangely enough the comment for the Spirit-Summoning Necromancer: Curse Bomb is bold, underlined and italics just fine.

Some images are not getting translated:
Update 2 about 80% down the scroll bar when talking to the first 3F bar patron there is an Item:0x06F2
Update 5 about 50% down on the list for the 5F, B2 Take Point

And some text has [sub] around it so I assume it should be small but just isn't:
Update 4 about 80% down in the banter between Lanzon and Mio after meeting Genetta on 3F
Update 6 right at the top
Update 9 about 40% down between Genetta finishing Friedrich's present and Friedrich's first text box
Update 13 about 50% down after you check your 3DS's battery and before cooking food
Update 15 about 10% down after meeting the guard on 10F and about 70% down after defeating the Hippogriff
Update 16 about 10% down after Sasha got her second name and about 25% down after Jana got hers

The missing images are errors that I only fixed after the fact with the original updates that I didn't transfer to the HTML versions. WHOOPS.

The italics stuff is just me batch find-replacing the italics BBcodes in everything with empty space, because otherwise manually cleaning up the tags around commentary would've been annoying. It's not a big thing so I consider it secondary on stuff I need to do.

Everything else is genuine errors on my part that I'll get to fixing. Thanks for pointing those out.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hey, look, Update 18. It's been a while, hasn't it?

Sorry for the big delays, I've been busy with both the HTML stuff and a lot of personal business. I plan to get back to a more frequent schedule now, though!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Huh, playing through this Stratum, I was wondering why that wall of skeletons disappeared. I thought some border got set or something to smooth that section over.

I do like this Stratum, I think it handled appealing to traveling at different times of day quite well without outright hindering you. (Though I believe that one section in the lower left is outright impossible to go through without fighting the FOEs.)

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 24, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Yaaaaay! Update! Update! :toot:

Also Smugfried. Rude. I wonder if character development will ever kick in?

The Beat's voice part was gold. Getting in F.O.E fight underleved not so much.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So FOEs can come out of the walls now?

...yeah, I suppose that makes sense.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Glazius posted:

So FOEs can come out of the walls now?

...yeah, I suppose that makes sense.

To be fair, there's precedent--flying FOEs and a fuckton of serious dick moves in the original EO1 and EO2, namely.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

To be fair, there's precedent--flying FOEs and a fuckton of serious dick moves in the original EO1 and EO2, namely.

Remember FOEs that spawned the moment you opened a treasure chest and trapped you in the room? :suicide: (Honestly kind of surprised that "trap" FOEs like that haven't been used in games past the first one.)

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Ha, power of pot. ...Anyhow, looking forward to ghosts ambushing you from behind walls

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Does Genetta also speak in Anime Episode Titles in the original? Because that's great :allears:

How does Reflower work with Mist Slice, by the way? If the first hit inflicts Sleep, does that mean the second hit will immediately wake the enemy up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

blizzardvizard posted:

How does Reflower work with Mist Slice, by the way? If the first hit inflicts Sleep, does that mean the second hit will immediately wake the enemy up?

Yeeeeeeeeeup.

• Locked thread