Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

scrubs season six posted:

Deep thoughts. from star citizens.

Sillybones posted:

Such deep humility on display here.

Is he trying to say he's almost went his whole life without been hollow, like death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I don't like Elite, I gave it a fair try and found it boring and shallow. The notion that it will never be able to compete with Star Citizen ever because the real, live, stable, playable-right-now game is compared to the imagined headcanon bdsse is loving unreal though.

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

scrubs season six posted:

Deep thoughts. from star citizens.

I used to believe I was humilant when I was younger, but I actually wasn't.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I think if anything beyond how to/not to scam people come out of this, it should be the importance of graphics.

SC looks like a AAA game, the boring grey drab aside. It looks like a fantastic game. Because of this appearance, I think people are assuming every aspect of it is equally polished, like the underlying code. This just isn't the case though. But because it looks good, it gets tons and tons of breaks from people who would otherwise hate it.

So I guess good job there!

You know as well as I that disturbingly often with technical people/wannabe investors, shiny often beats substance.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Kosumo posted:

I too would like to her again why some of you brought into this for, in some cases, hundreds of dollars.

It was always Chris Roberts, he had been away from gaming for over a decade with his last project, Freelance, having a troubled development.

I was never in on this but did not care until it became apparent, at if I recall, about the $9 million mark that this was getting funded in a cult like fashion.

Here is a quote from me from another site, back in Dec, 2013.

But what if the game (SC) is a total snoozefest with lovely combat, a 'fake' economy and bits that are still 'works in progress'.

Roberts should have kickstarted Squad42 and finished it, then done another kickstarter for the Star Citizen after he had delivied on the first project. To me it looks like it's out of his control now, so many promise and faith based ship sales that I doubt everyone is gonna get what they want. (also totally open to taking many years to get done)

Just my 2cents (anyone got change for a dollar?)

I totally stand by that still and now feel smug. :smuggo:

I bought a $45 package in feb 2014 because the website said it was going to be released in the fall and I hadn't been following it at all to know better.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sillybones posted:

Why did people ever buy into this poo poo? Was it the other people on the kickstarter (who have since left to make a Descent clone??) that made you think it was a good idea?

I am talking to YOU.

Not me. CIG has never and most prolly will never see a penny of my money.

EDIT: Let me clarify. If you look at my Steam account, you will see WAY too many of those .99 on sale cut-rate titles in my library. Need I explain more?

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 29, 2017

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Never pledged but CIG continues to deliver high quality self-owns regardless. Thanks Chris :tipshat:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

phosdex posted:

I bought a $45 package in feb 2014 because the website said it was going to be released in the fall and I hadn't been following it at all to know better.

Alpha. You should have done your homework and knew the website and CR are bullshit. Alpha.

Actual arguments I've read.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I never pledged to SC because I don't buy into crowdfunding or early access.

There are plenty of finished games to play as it is, and not enough time to play them all.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Rudager posted:

I just wish journalists would stop seeing a pile of stuff labelled as "Development information stuff" and assume it's at least mostly good information.

I mean, it's hard to blame them too, CiG pumps out so much poo poo with so much filler it'd be a full time job for a journalists to go through it all properly

That's precisely it. They pump out so much poo poo, that it completely obfuscates the true state of the project. And besides us the OCD creeps, and the Shitizens, nobody has time to go through the plethora of info that is out there. Heck, not even the media can do that, and the regularly data mine my resources, as well as other places, in order to get up to speed. And that's precisely why I have no less than three (my blogs, my blog discussion archives, my web forum) resources, all pertaining to Star Citizen. That poo poo needs to be preserved for the next generation so they see the next charlatan coming a mile away.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Someone put Derek's posts in a Prothean tomb.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
A reporter just a quick 2 minute drive by of the site and sees they do several shows a week with employees and concludes they communicate a lot so its cool.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Decrepus posted:

Someone put Derek's posts in a Prothean tomb.

"Ah yes, 'refunds'. We have dismissed those claims."

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

TrustmeImLegit posted:

A reporter just a quick 2 minute drive by of the site and sees they do several shows a week with employees and concludes they communicate a lot so its cool.

this is what frustrates me, they just keep saying things like "The most open development ever!" because they spew out a constant stream of trash, but with no actual details or expectations. It's true post-fact bullshit and people accept it because it has been said so many times.

There are dozens of project you could link that have actual updates about what they're achieving right now that are a hundred times more open

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Honestly the best part about all of this is going to be when it all goes belly up and everyone who was just accepting "the most open game development ever" at face value asks out loud "How did no one see the signs?!" or "HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?!"

As Derek descends upon them with his entire blog printed out into book form to wrap it around their loving skulls.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

I was on that poo poo real early dawg.

And it still confuses me to this day, I'm still playing NMS occasionally and have fun with it. I look at Star Citizen and there's no fun, not even a sign this shitshow could ever make fun.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 29, 2017

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Sedisp posted:

Here's the thing about MoMA. He's either been a troll all along, was a true believer who lost faith and decided to keep the gimmick since he lost everything else or a true believer still that's riding the line so he can claim he was trolling all along when SC implodes.

He is actually a paid shill

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

neonbregna posted:

He is actually a paid shill

CIG should get a refund.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

TheLastRoboKy posted:

CIG should get a refund.

MoMA has an iron-clad TOS :grin:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

moma is trolling this thread and it's pretty funny

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Still waiting on that gameplay video with live commentary

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

moma is trolling this thread and it's pretty funny

Yeah, his gameplay video is like Derek's 100% guaranteed legal action blog. The thread needs its Eldorado, it needs to dream!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

the lost city of parp

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Ho Lee Cow! OK, that's a rant.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

:eyepop: That's almost half a blog right there

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Rants are the path to the Smart side. Rants lead to anger. Anger leads to doubt. Doubt leads to refunding.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Foo Diddley posted:

:eyepop: That's almost half a blog right there

almost :grin:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Most of that rant is about not being able to buy the ships he wanted and slow customer service times lol. If CS had not become disillusioned and lost respect for their customers they'd still have a happy whale.

But its literally impossible to cultivate a culture of respecting your customers when they spend 1000s on nothing. Its instinctive.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Rants are the path to the Smart side. Rants lead to anger. Anger leads to doubt. Doubt leads to refunding.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Contemplate this at on the Tree of Woe Lord Elric Fluffypants.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Welcome to the Refunderdome

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Course he is. He has many interesting and thoughtful opinions on things, he's an eloquent and erudite speaker, and he's a decent writer on top of that.

He's a smart guy.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/825730909391450112
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/825731207686152193
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/825732698660597760
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/825733538393817094

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

A day in the life of TheRealGremlich