Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the real hope for a baa anime is if cameron ever manages to make that live action baa movie he's been going on about for so long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cameron is going to die before he does BAA. oh wait production already started?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

yeah cameron is just a producer now

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The Colonel posted:

ugly cg adaptation directed by a comedy director with no experience with cg that cuts up the story to fit a bunch of arcs in a 12 episode time slot

I think there was a bit of "Holy poo poo, just cram it all in. We have to get to the part from this loving century that has the really iconic poo poo already." going on.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I thought Cameron was knee-deep in making like half a dozen Avatar sequels

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I imagine there's an element of "Magic/Supernatural Is Real" for Urara but I can't help but be amused that in-universe Penn & Teller are probably apoplectic with rage at the existence of this town.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ranzear posted:

I think there was a bit of "Holy poo poo, just cram it all in. We have to get to the part from this loving century that has the really iconic poo poo already." going on.

"We cannot waste our time on a third Golden Age adaptation, god dammit"

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

"We cannot waste our time on a third Golden Age adaptation, god dammit"

the show was poop from a butt so I didn't bother to watch it but I did appreciate this at least

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It was golden time wasted on a golden butt.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

the new show has been especially dire but berserks art is such that even the most well intentioned of adaptations isn't gonna match up

The same could be said of One Punch Man, but look what we got out of that from a studio that gave a poo poo.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nipponophile posted:

The same could be said of One Punch Man, but look what we got out of that from a studio that gave a poo poo.

To be fair, the mangaka for OPM is so good that they probably just colored in a bunch of panels and strung them together for most action scenes.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I just watched the first episode of Chaos;Child. It had an episode lenght recap of Chaos;Head and I read the plot summary on Wikipedia afterwards, is that enough to make sense of this going forwards or should I watch Chaos;Head?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Demicol posted:

I just watched the first episode of Chaos;Child. It had an episode lenght recap of Chaos;Head and I read the plot summary on Wikipedia afterwards, is that enough to make sense of this going forwards or should I watch Chaos;Head?

I don't know about any links between the ;s, but in general: don't watch Chaos;Head.

VN's worth playing, though, if you enjoy VNs.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Demicol posted:

There haven't been any meaningful references to Chaos;Head as yet besides 'The New Generation murders were a thing that happened' yet so you're good for now. I assume it's going to get weird(er) like Chaos;Head though so it's hard to tell.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I don't know about any links between the ;s, but in general: don't watch Chaos;Head.

VN's worth playing, though, if you enjoy VNs.

Just don't go in expecting Steins;Gate level stuff. It's a decent read but it goes pretty off the rails. I'd say it's worth trying at least if it sounds interesting.

Polsy posted:

There haven't been any meaningful references to Chaos;Head as yet besides 'The New Generation murders were a thing that happened' yet so you're good for now. I assume it's going to get weird(er) like Chaos;Head though so it's hard to tell.

I heard a lot of bad things about the Chaos;Head adaptation, so I've been intentionally avoiding Child. Is it a decent show so far?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

I heard a lot of bad things about the Chaos;Head adaptation, so I've been intentionally avoiding Child. Is it a decent show so far?

It seems fine so far, though I haven't played the VN so I don't know if it's veering off-track or anything.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Polsy posted:

It seems fine so far, though I haven't played the VN so I don't know if it's veering off-track or anything.

My impression was that it was so bad that it was a bad show even ignoring the source material. But anyway I think I'll give Child a try.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Huh. Looks like Bang Dream snuck onto Crunchyroll. Second episode was nice. Lower-key than I was expecting, but nice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

Just don't go in expecting Steins;Gate level stuff. It's a decent read but it goes pretty off the rails. I'd say it's worth trying at least if it sounds interesting.

Out of curiosity, are any of other ;'s as good as Steins;Gate?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

No

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The chaos;head VN is pretty good, but steins;gate is still definitely the best one

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

steins;gate zero is nearly as good as steins;gate

but yeah the secret to the ; series is that the writers aren't really that similar across the series. there's one guy that's in all of them but he doesn't seem to be the lead guy in any of them, and the other writers are a revolving door.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

steins;gate zero is nearly as good as steins;gate

but yeah the secret to the ; series is that the writers aren't really that similar across the series. there's one guy that's in all of them but he doesn't seem to be the lead guy in any of them, and the other writers are a revolving door.

Agreed but the way they phrased it made me think they were referring to the non stein games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Agreed but the way they phrased it made me think they were referring to the non stein games
i just wanted to make that joke honestly

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

occultic;nine was good but also will probably be a better game than anime

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i heard the good part of occultic was the direction tho? the story as far as i could stomach it at least... wasn't good

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Davincie posted:

i heard the good part of occultic was the direction tho? the story as far as i could stomach it at least... wasn't good

Yeah Occultic;Nine just felt like a bunch of static characters stumbling around in the dark while occasionally having the real plot explained to them (and the audience) directly.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Davincie posted:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah Occultic;Nine just felt like a bunch of static characters stumbling around in the dark while occasionally having the real plot explained to them (and the audience) directly.

it's a fine conspiracy thing, it's just they really don't do much with the characters. even for being half the length of s;g there's not enough where you can say it's anything other than a flaw. also yeah the direction (aside from the ep by the Denpa-teki guy) is really great.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Occultic;Nine was pretty garbage. It took an okay occultic murder mystery and then focused it around garbage protagonists who talked like they had to read War and Peace in their episode run so even normal dialogue felt fast paced and frantic. It could just never let itself sit and breath.

I haven't read it the VN's but Steins;Gate is the only good anime. Since White Fox is coming back for 0 as well, that will be good too probably. Otherwise just toss the other ";" series stuff in the trash.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm probably dropping Urara Meirochou, it's just kinda boring.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

nielsm posted:

I'm probably dropping Urara Meirochou, it's just kinda boring.

Ah, the boring meme.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
occultic nine is one of those things that is less than the sum of its parts, there's no room for everything to breathe, but lots of individual elements work quite well. and it has some crazy high production values, everything is so lavishly detailed that you could work out the mid-season plot twist just by carefully examining background details

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lemon-Lime posted:

Ah, the boring meme.

The I'm not watching a show anymore because I'm not enjoying it meme?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Strange Quark posted:

It's better than the "I'm not enjoying this but I watched it all anyways" meme.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

That one's not a meme!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's better than the "I'm not enjoying this but I watched it all anyways" meme.

Since when have common behavioral patterns suddenly become memes? Is this the elusive "everything done more than once is a meme" meme?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only if you post about it on the internet

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Only if you post about it on the internet

I've been told several times in the past couple of months that this is no longer true, and that memes are now real.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
life is but a meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Urara seems like the kind of show where you should know pretty quickly if you like it or not and sticking around is not really going to change your mind one way or the other.

I think it's a cute and fun show though. :shrug:

That's my Way of the Memeja.

• Locked thread