Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Are you guys talking about the 12 rotary engine?

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/video-exotic-12-rotor-rotary-engine-ready-for-dyno/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
So... I'm building a boat. Well, two boats.

It all starts with me sitting at the local hackerspace BSing about making stuff. One thing lead to another, and now I've got a chunk of my garage dedicated to boat building.

What we're building is a pair of Puddle Ducks. As it sits, both hulls are 3d. One is about 1/3 sealed, and next build session we'll get the corners glassed.

Here's Dan, that grin is the smile you get when your hull first goes 3d:

This is the first bottom we put on, we did the job much better on the second hull. And we didn't need the tape.

You can see dan hiding there... This is hull number two.

These boats are supposed to be built fast, and they're going quickly. Dan is an aspiring cabinetmaker, so getting him to do things the fast way is hard. Goop like this makes him a bit twitchy. It's also the first time I"ve worked with silica and microsphere filler on epoxy.

This is as far as the furthest boat got.

We chose to go with 12" deep hulls instead of the plans 18". And we're going with side air tanks, as those make it easiest to do deep water recoveries.

Delivery McGee posted:

I've been daydreaming about having a WWII submarine as a private yacht. They just look cool. (VIIC looks cooler, but would have to be a repro; American fleet boats you could probably still find an original for sale and fix it up, plus it's bigger and has A/C.)

Edit: also I currently live in a singlewide trailer house, so a VIIC would actually not require any of the space compromise one usually has to make to live on a boat! (I measured it. My house is exactly the same width as the pressure hull of a u-boat. And I'm rather short, so I could deal with rounded ceilings. Hell, the house has 7' ceilings, pretty sure the u-boat would actually be higher in the middle.)

So there are a lot of things to say to this. First, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UC3_Nautilus The UC3 Nautilus, was built by the people who eventually became Copenhagen Suborbitals. The boat is.. kinda ww2-ish inside. Versus modern fleet subs that are dry and clean-ish. So "roll your own" is an option.

"Real" submarines are pretty nasty things. Even when cleaned, and beautifully restored. I recently toured the USS Cobia in Manitowoc Wi. Even after years of being carefully taken care of, there are lots of nasty bits still sitting around. Also, to make a boat like that.. plesant.. and nice to use, you're going to be looking at cutting the pressure hull open to extract the big bits you don't need for casual cruising. You'll also need to consider what it would take to put batteries in them, as those are typically removed. Once you remove the combat gear.. there's a fair amount of space in one.

I have like.. 200 pictures of the interior of the Cobia, if anyone is interested.

The Locator posted:

Have you guys ever been on an actual sub? They are so full of crap, that even though the pressure hull measurements might make you think they are decent sized, in reality, they are cramped and tiny inside (subs of that era anyway).

If you are ever in San Diego, go to the Maritime Museum and for the $16 entry fee you can tour a Russian boat from the cold war era, and as US boat, the USS Dolphin, that was used for various experimental purposes. They are both just crammed full of equipment, and I am not sure how much of it could realistically be removed. It's really quite amazing how such a huge vessel can feel so small inside.

Chicago's got the U505 too. And 3 hours north is the Cobia. I was pretty darned comfortable on Cobia. Oh, and right after being on that boat, I took a ride on this one:

Steam powered boats are SPOOKY to ride on. The boat just.. moves... No rumble, no transmission catching. Just water starts moving at the stern and the boat goes. Once it's going fast enough you feel the prop thrum on the hull, but that's it.

Maybe I should share my relationship with boats too? My grandparents, then parents, had, and have boats. I've spent most of my time on powerboats. With my grandparents it was a (oddly) deep-v houseboat on the ozarks. My dad got a boat when my stepmom said "no more motorcycles." And it went from a no-name 70's boat that we usually took to Lake Geneva, to a series of SeaRay twins. Every weekend was at the marina, so I got a lot of on the water time growing up.

Somewhere in there I learned to sail on some little sailboat at boy scout camp.

And now, I visit my dad's boat two or three times a year, and i'm building my own little sailboat.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nerobro posted:

I have like.. 200 pictures of the interior of the Cobia, if anyone is interested.
:justpost:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Every sub I've been on also has an air of sweaty balls and I'm not sure how you get that out.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Deeters posted:

Every sub I've been on also has an air of sweaty balls and I'm not sure how you get that out.

The Cobia has an midsize industrial A/C unit sitting on deck, that pumps air in through the torpedo loading hatch. The boat was cool, dry, and comfortable. I do not want to know what it was like under way...

And I'm uploading the tour pictures now.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nerobro posted:

The Cobia has an midsize industrial A/C unit sitting on deck, that pumps air in through the torpedo loading hatch. The boat was cool, dry, and comfortable. I do not want to know what it was like under way...

And I'm uploading the tour pictures now.

She had air conditioning when she was in service. Operating R and S boats in tropical waters in the twenties proved to the USN that AC was a cheap alternative to condensation and humidity loving RUINING the submarine.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

An Awful tour of the Cobia.

So... click for big.

This was part of a motorcycle trip. When we pulled up in the parking lot at the maratime museum. This is the view we had.

This is the aft emergency exit. I'm not sure why I found it interesting.

I found the deck surface interesting. I always expected to see a "lot more" underthe deck. It turns out that there's a good two to four feet of free air udner hte deck but before the pressure hull. There are some high pressure air bottles further up on the hull, but that's it.

Our motorcycle trip continued on the badger, here's my first peek at our ferry bocking.

This is part of the sonar gear , I think it's the tranducer driver. We spent a lot of time in the forward torpedo section, so I've got a few pictures here.

The sonar is retractable, on the left is the shaft that the transducer rides on. The brass disk has degree markings, and on the floor there's a matching set of markings.

Also in this compartment, is one of hte heads. It looks liek there's a 12 or thirteen setep process to get your poo to exit the vessel while underway.Amusingly, it's stocked with vintages paper, and reading material.

The toilet.. has guages.

This is the crane they use for moving the torpedos in the forward compartment.

That's the tour guide. On the left you can see a bunk. Further in the background you can see the forward escape trunk.

I'm almost at the aft bulkhead here. Looking forward into the ropedo room.

Here's another shot of the sonar gear. There was a nearly identical set on the port side.

This must be for measuring sailor's gas levels. That guage is directly above the door for the head.

When they converted the boat for display use, they disconnected a lot of the ventilation passages.

This is the reciever for the sonar.

I like that they had a catch pan for fuel. I don't like the idea of having open fuel in the boat.

finally people cleared out of the torpedo room. I love that the tube hatches are brass.

This is a shot up into the escape trunk. You can see where they modified it for the AC unit installation. We're going to skip the staterooms and go straight to the control room.

Meters on top of the main switch panel.

I want to know how this regulator works. We're in the main control room now.

I have a thing for guages.

The next compartment is the engine room. This is a bench seat next to the intake (exhaust?) manifold for the diesel.

The next compartment was to tight to get much picture wise. They had a lathe, and other repaire stuff in the engineering compartment.

This thing is powered by GE. Those are big damned electric motors.

Engine Guages.

Aft torpedo room.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So the music here is pretty terrible, but the footage is pretty great..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olFNIqe9ylA

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
^^^I watched that to get all psyched up for a race today. We ended up in 3 knots of wind the whole time.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

MrKatharsis posted:

^^^I watched that to get all psyched up for a race today. We ended up in 3 knots of wind the whole time.

I'm so tired of this summer bullshit. Give me 35 knots, raining ice sideways and 3 foot inland swells, please.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

SuperDucky posted:

I'm so tired of this summer bullshit. Give me 35 knots, raining ice sideways and 3 foot inland swells, please.

The closest I have ever gotten to fully understanding the fleeting, fragile nature of life was in the middle of one of those sudden Florida thunderstorms in Apalachicola Bay on a Hobie 14 Turbo.

I loved every pants-making GBS threads second of it and if I hadn't been forced to develop a very healthy respect for lightning, I would still be out in every blow on a beam reach flying a hull out in the trapeze whoopin' and hollerin' like a damned idiot.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
The most fun and fear I ever had on water was in one of these dinghies in an autumn gale (except it had a carbon fiber mast but no foresail)

I had managed to stay upright by luffing, spilling my wind and tacking upwind until the only option to get home was a run straight downwind through a narrow passage with land on both sides. Once the centerboard was up the thing was planing like a surfboard, which was lucky for me or else I'd flipped forwards or lost the rigging. I still to this day don't understand how I managed to pull off the two jibes needed to reach the dock.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I have an old laser. Years ago in high school a friend and I used to take it sailing in large craft advisories.... I have no idea how we didn't get ourselves in trouble doing that. We had that stupid thing up to like 25kt surfing down waves.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Invalido posted:

The most fun and fear I ever had on water was in one of these dinghies in an autumn gale (except it had a carbon fiber mast but no foresail)

I had managed to stay upright by luffing, spilling my wind and tacking upwind until the only option to get home was a run straight downwind through a narrow passage with land on both sides. Once the centerboard was up the thing was planing like a surfboard, which was lucky for me or else I'd flipped forwards or lost the rigging. I still to this day don't understand how I managed to pull off the two jibes needed to reach the dock.

What is that thing? Looks like an Opti and a Thistle had offspring

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

SuperDucky posted:

What is that thing? Looks like an Opti and a Thistle had offspring

Their website is swedish only but maybe chrome's translate function or similar might make it at least semi-readable: http://www.kronaboats.com/
(it's the small one, "1-kronan")

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Heres my fat butt starting my boat. Sorry about the snapchat quality and length, I didnt take it, but the sound is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx3FxFsYPuk

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I drool every time you post/snapchat that boat. Jesus what a gorgeous craft.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Heres my fat butt starting my boat. Sorry about the snapchat quality and length, I didnt take it, but the sound is nice.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Ooh man, Chris Crafts :swoon:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Invalido posted:

Their website is swedish only but maybe chrome's translate function or similar might make it at least semi-readable: http://www.kronaboats.com/
(it's the small one, "1-kronan")

Google translate makes me giggle sometimes

quote:

1-krona is a durable dinghy that can be used in many ways! Depending on the weather it can be pleasant walk or sail exciting and challenging moguls in choppy seas!

1-krona is perhaps not so great but it is a real family boat and be able

to: > sailed as a - or tvåmansbåt with crew weight from 30 up to 175
kg. > Be decent
rowboat. > Be power boat with 2 hp
outboard. > Be släpdinge - get place on the foredeck of a medium-sized sailboat -hänga the
davit. > loaded on car roofs with all equipment stowed in the boat.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I think I want a sailboat. My nautical experience is limited to drinking beer on other people's boats so I'm going to try to take some classes in the spring but I was hoping you could help me set my expectations.

I've noticed that there always seem to be $800 dinghy/trailers on Craigslist which I assume would be good for taking to local lakes. How big of a money pit would a boat like that be?

Is there a point where (sail)boating goes from cheap and cheerful to hilariously expensive?

Should I just got full AI and buy a $2000 Catalina full of spiders and tow it around with a beater Camry?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

monsterzero posted:

Should I just got full AI and buy a $2000 Catalina full of spiders and tow it around with a beater Camry?

worked for me

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

monsterzero posted:

Is there a point where (sail)boating goes from cheap and cheerful to hilariously expensive?

• when you decide you like the look of a wooden boat instead
• when you decide to start racing

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

meltie posted:

• when you decide you like the look of a wooden boat instead
• when you decide to start racing

* when you want a boat you can live on
* when you get a boat larger than 22' or newer than 2006

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Racing, when you need 3 brand new head sails to shave a few milliseconds off your time.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Man, what a beautiful boat. Sounds great, too!

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Popete posted:

Racing, when you need 3 brand new head sails to shave a few milliseconds off your time.

In my time in a competitive J24 program, (~5 years with the same team/boat, ~3 out of town regattas a year, ~10 weekends worth of hard racing locally, 35-40 beercan races and ~10 one day events) we've bought 2 genoas, 1 main, and 1 kite. Our practice sails are the suite that came with the boat when it was handed down to us by our buddy's dad, and we actively raced them for the first 2.5 years. Still perfectly serviceable for beercan/club racing. Our blade is older than myself and the skipper combined, nearly, because when you get to the point that you need to put the blade up in a J, it doesn't matter, you're gonna do hull speed.

e: Racing isn't exorbitantly expensive if you're racing anything smaller than a 10 meter sportboat.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 14, 2016

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp6ce0Ov1gw

200k on a 2 stroke surfboard.

Check the other linked vids. 750cc Kwaka triples or big bore motocross motors on surfboards basicly

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

wildemere posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp6ce0Ov1gw

200k on a 2 stroke surfboard.

Check the other linked vids. 750cc Kwaka triples or big bore motocross motors on surfboards basicly

I don't see how those guys could steer with their balls dragging monster wake.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

monsterzero posted:

When you buy one.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Big Taint posted:

When you buy one.

Turns out I know a guy who knows a guy with a '73 Catalina for sale. I might be making a huge mistake soon.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I initially read that as "a 73' Catalina" :eyepop:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

I initially read that as "a 73' Catalina" :eyepop:

Same, that's not a mistake that's a sea castle...

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

monsterzero posted:

Turns out I know a guy who knows a guy with a '73 Catalina for sale. I might be making a huge mistake soon.

doitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoit

Theyre so much fun

granted ive spent way more time drinking in the backyard on mine than i have in the water with it but "details"

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I'm at about a 50:1 maintenance to sailing ratio.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Adiabatic posted:

doitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoit

Theyre so much fun

granted ive spent way more time drinking in the backyard on mine than i have in the water with it but "details"

On it. We're taking a look at the boat Sunday.

That doesn't sound too far off my expectations, at least for this season. It helps that I'll be parking it in my buddy's back yard, and he's got a pool and smokes a mean tri-tip.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Deeters posted:

I've got an acquaintance in the navy, stationed on the swedish submarine Gotland, (the one that got a "kill" on the USS Ronald Reagan ten years ago,) and as he tells it no air filters/scrubbers in the world can save you from the sweaty balls fragrance after a 7 day sortie without snorkeling.

To quote some dude:

quote:

What nobody had warned him about was the smell. As a rough comparison, imagine your teenage son has just come home from three days at the Glastonbury festival where he hasn’t washed once. Multiply that by 120 (the number of men in a submarine crew) and think months instead of days, and you begin to get the idea.

One submariner describes his wife waiting for him at the front door when he comes home from leave with a bottle of Febreze in her hand. She insists on spraying him before she’ll let him in the house and his clothes go straight into the washing machine - even the ones he hasn’t worn.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
I've made a huge mistake.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

monsterzero posted:

I've made a huge mistake.

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You know boats are supposed to go on liquid and not solid water, right?