Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Hey talk about gunzfunz and how they're cool and good and you'll probably need to learn how to shoot them here pretty soon with the way the country is going. Pew Pew :69snypa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKq5wmCz0wM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHeSC_Ws5Ic

RIP Hunter S. Thompson, may he ever be drunk, high, and shooting guns at his neighbors.

Mike-o fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

tell me what to buy in ct

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Should I buy a nice bolt action or an M1A, while dealing with CT restrictions.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
PYF freedom device

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

the coastal elite will be defended

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

M_Gargantua posted:

Get both? Remington 700, M1A and get a 10/22 takedown for cheap ammo

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

tell me what to buy in ct

gently caress man i don't even know i gotta go lookup CT laws

Zeris posted:

PYF freedom device

the one that kills nazis, so probably an M1 Garand

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

If I lived in a lovely state for gun laws I'd probably just get a .357 revolver of sorts and a lever action carbine in the same caliber. That and maybe a decent surplus bolt action rifle.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

sky shark posted:

Get both? Remington 700, M1A and get a 10/22 takedown for cheap ammo

Well is the cost worth an M1A over an nicely finished 700? Which leads to recommendations for necessary accessories. I've got 22s and shotguns already.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Mike-o posted:

if someone could help me id appreciate it

i live down the road from an NCO from my old company, he runs pistol permit classes and is a cool dude

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

What are CT's restrictions on M1As? A nice bolt action will probably be more practical if you've got magazine restrictions.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

DoktorLoken posted:

If I lived in a lovely state for gun laws I'd probably just get a .357 revolver of sorts and a lever action carbine in the same caliber. That and maybe a decent surplus bolt action rifle.

I've got a 30/30 lever action that I love. Never tried it with those poly ballistic tips I've heard about though.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I've been looking at options for MA. Looks like the Mini 14 and M1A are good options, PS90, CZ805 and Tavor seem to be allowed too because of their unique operating mechanisms
Mini 14 and M1A are especially nice because there are so many pre-ban magazines available, and in the case of the Mini, there aren't date codes to distinguish pre- and post-ban ones

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

edit this is dumb look at this and tell me what i should look at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Connecticut#Post-Sandy_Hook_gun_control_legislation

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

if someone could help me id appreciate it

i live down the road from an NCO from my old company, he runs pistol permit classes and is a cool dude

I've put off getting a pistol permit for so long it's embarrassing.

Kazinsal posted:

What are CT's restrictions on M1As? A nice bolt action will probably be more practical if you've got magazine restrictions.

Really just the 10 round magazine restriction and I think some accessories like military muzzle breaks or something dumb. I haven't had to look into it for years, but I know they've only gotten worse.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Well is the cost worth an M1A over an nicely finished 700? Which leads to recommendations for necessary accessories. I've got 22s and shotguns already.

Answer is "depends"

What do you want the rifle to do? Honestly I'm not a super fan of the M1A; these days AR-10 variants are much nicer and take the same accessories as your various ARs. If it's for hunting only, yeah, just go for a bolt action 700 in whatever flavor.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

I've got a 30/30 lever action that I love. Never tried it with those poly ballistic tips I've heard about though.

You can shoot a lever action ridiculously fast with skill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsexKLYtCkI

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Suicide Watch posted:

I've been looking at options for MA. Looks like the Mini 14 and M1A are good options, PS90, CZ805 and Tavor seem to be allowed too because of their unique operating mechanisms
Mini 14 and M1A are especially nice because there are so many pre-ban magazines available, and in the case of the Mini, there aren't date codes to distinguish pre- and post-ban ones

I had an AWB era Mini-14. Good gun, but look for ones made after the ban was lifted.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Mike-o posted:

Look up MA while you're at it? Wife finally got off the anti-gun wagon and it's time to get a decent rifle or shotgun.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
tfw you finally find a range that lets you draw from the holster

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

DoktorLoken posted:

You can shoot a lever action ridiculously fast with skill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsexKLYtCkI

A note about this:

Cowboy action guns in videos like these are routinely hotrodded to hell and back with all kinds of go fast parts and deburring work and poo poo. Don't really expect this out of the box :v:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Actually looked up MA laws. Shotgun looks like the optimal choice. Means I get to go sport shooting a bit more often.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Been wanting to get my ccw for years now; this is the year I will actually do it. Not sure what I'll get to carry; I like my m&p but it's full size so I want to get hands on and some trigger time with the compact and the shield to see which one I like more.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'd go Shield if you want it for CCW unless you're a giant. I have a 9c and I love it, but it's not really all that concealable for me.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I keep this in my bookmarks for every time someone is considering an M1A: http://looserounds.com/2015/01/30/the-m14-not-much-for-fighting-a-case-against-the-m14-legend/

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Ahhhhhh, there it is, I was just about to ask the question. Nice play, rat.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

DoktorLoken posted:

I'd go Shield if you want it for CCW unless you're a giant. I have a 9c and I love it, but it's not really all that concealable for me.

Guess I was more worried about how it'd feel in my hands rather than how concealable; hadn't thought of that

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
By the way, if you are in South Florida and have your DD-214 the turn around on getting your concealed carry is insane. My wife went and applied for ours on the Monday, it got approved on Wednesday, and we had them both by Saturday.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I had an AWB era Mini-14. Good gun, but look for ones made after the ban was lifted.

I got a stock made for a older mini-14 with a pistol grip and folder I don't need.

Since I'm a CA refuge I bought both a mini14 and M1a. Love them both. Some day I might pick up an AK of some sort but in States with prohibitive "assault" weapon laws you can't really go wrong with a mini or M1a.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Help make dik big plz

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I moved to a different state but haven't gotten a new driver's license. Do I need a new license in the state I currently live in order to buy a firearm? I moved here for school.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

For concealed carry a Shield in 9mm is awesome. Super thin, light weight, accurate, and loving cheap as hell. That said, if you can at all conceal a Glock 19, consider that instead. The Shield is 8+1 by default, the Glock 19 is 15+ 1. The Shield conceals extremely well.

There's a growing number of people running around with what's known as a "Roland Special" - Glock 17/19 with a SureFire light, mini red dot sight, threaded barrel with or without compensator. The preferred carry method for these boat anchors seems to be appendix IWB. It shoots flat as hell, but goddamn $2k for a carry pistol is out there.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Help make dik big plz

You got a free gun shutup !!!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Alright, that kinda sold me. I've seen some nice match grade M1A's and the semi-auto is attractive, but if it loses practical effectiveness I'll just pursue a nice 700. Now knowing all the kind of marketing poo poo Remington probably pulls that will be fun to research.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

M_Gargantua posted:

Alright, that kinda sold me. I've seen some nice match grade M1A's and the semi-auto is attractive, but if it loses practical effectiveness I'll just pursue a nice 700. Now knowing all the kind of marketing poo poo Remington probably pulls that will be fun to research.

It's not even the marketing, Remington is just poo poo now. That said I do have old ads from Shot Show 2014 for the R51 talking about being stranded in Meth Valley or something. Of course the R51 speaks more to how poo poo Remington is in the production and design area now more then anything else.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

The M1A is a romantic notion that has been obsolete for 50 years or so. It's been superseded by better rifles, like the AR-10. Define what your objectives are for the rifle, and there's a ton of choices to be had. Heck, the civilian version of the SASR is available now.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

For CCW I have a Kahr CW380 and a SIG P290RS. The CW380 had huge reliability problems that required 4 trips to the factory to solve, so I'd probably not recommend going with one. But the gun itself from a size and shootability standpoint is amazing.

The SIG on the other hand is slightly larger and shoots very well, although the trigger is extremely long and heavy like a double action revolver. Great little gun though, pretty much the smallest good quality 9mm you can buy. I'd have probably got a Kahr PM9 if not for my experience with the CW380, although if SIG makes a striker fired version of the 290RS, I'm buying one in a heartbeat.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Reverand maynard posted:

I moved to a different state but haven't gotten a new driver's license. Do I need a new license in the state I currently live in order to buy a firearm? I moved here for school.

Yes, you need a license with the address you claim residency at to buy a firearm (at a retail establishment, so go to a gun show).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Doubly fun to research then. (Someone just tell me what to buy for like 100-500yrd)

N4B we should do a range day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

sky shark posted:

The M1A is a romantic notion that has been obsolete for 50 years or so. It's been superseded by better rifles, like the AR-10. Define what your objectives are for the rifle, and there's a ton of choices to be had. Heck, the civilian version of the SASR is available now.

I would only recommend it to people who don't want to gently caress around with bullet button garbage guns.