Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Frontier is really good.

It's impossible to feel macho when watching Jason Momoa do anything. If that guy was born 200 years ago, he'd be in history books.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He was on Jimmy Kimmel the other day and demonstrated throwing axes. The guy can actually do it and just watching him makes you emasculated instantly.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i literally just found that, he's such a likable guy. He makes axes...wolves, Lisa Bonnet. Hit the genetic lottery, big time.

Someone cut his face open and just him look tougher.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I watched Riverdale and found it to be dreadful pap, but then I have no idea why anyone gives a gently caress about Archie

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pan Dulce posted:

If you're talking about him never sticking to one girl, it's standard procedure with him. He's been with all of 'em, every female character, except Moose's girlfriend, but I think she's not going to exist, given how they're shaping up that storyline. Also, Grundy... jeez. Long way from someone who looks like Olive Oyl's grandmother.

Her sleeping with Archie is hosed up though. He was max 14-15.
I remember being 15 and crushing on some of my teachers, though I wouldn't have known what to do in the back of a Volkswagen.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I'm watching Riverdale right now cause my son is sick and I've got nothing else to watch

And good lord every girl and woman on this show is straight loving fire. Is every CW casting call just, 'Note, must be hot as poo poo.'

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

muscles like this! posted:

CW App

Also tonight's Sleepy Hollow is the John Noble episode.

Even thinking about Sleepy Hollow hurts my heart bones :(

Season one was just so loving good.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like Elementary. the whole first season was just good tv, the end was amazing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

"[/spoiler posted:

IRQ" post="468835639"]
I fell off The 100 when it turned into Clarke and Whoever's apocalypse politics tower hour last season, did it get good again?

Not so much that I would tell you to catch up if you hated season 3 enough to stop watching. The season cliffhanger was that the evil AI was assimilating people because nuclear reactors all over the world are getting ready to all melt down at the same time in six months or so, so Clarke and the gang probably have to go on a world tour to stop them, somehow...? Or maybe just wait things out until they die...? I dunno

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Like Elementary. the whole first season was just good tv, the end was amazing.

Elementary is still pretty good though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

In between fits of blind rage watching CNN this morning I saw that Black Sails comes back tonight, so friendly reminder to set your dvrs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

trash person posted:

I'm watching Riverdale right now cause my son is sick and I've got nothing else to watch

And good lord every girl and woman on this show is straight loving fire. Is every CW casting call just, 'Note, must be hot as poo poo.'
I like to think there's a giant sign in the lobby of CW headquarters that says "SEX SELLS"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Mu Zeta posted:

He was on Jimmy Kimmel the other day and demonstrated throwing axes. The guy can actually do it and just watching him makes you emasculated instantly.

He can even do it while slightly buzzed

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

What's Glitch like?

And how has People Mysteriously Return From The Dead But They're Not Zombies become its own genre?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Junkenstein posted:

What's Glitch like?

And how has People Mysteriously Return From The Dead But They're Not Zombies become its own genre?

I enjoyed it. Nothing ground breaking but a nice concept.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Pan Dulce posted:

Also, Grundy... jeez. Long way from someone who looks like Olive Oyl's grandmother.

Her sleeping with Archie is hosed up though. He was max 14-15.

It's definitely hosed up, but this happened before on Dawson's Creek, so they're just ticking all the boxes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

trash person posted:

That's not a CW thing. That's a TV/Movie thing in general.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

Any visual media really. Print, movies, tv, cave paintings.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

X-O posted:

I'm alright with that but I seriously wish they'd knock off the "Look how beautiful that girl is, I have no chance with him" in every show ever. Poor Felecity Smoak, the ugliest woman ever...oh wait.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Medullah posted:

I'm alright with that but I seriously wish they'd knock off the "Look how beautiful that girl is, I have no chance with him" in every show ever. Poor Felecity Smoak, the ugliest woman ever...oh wait.

Felicity wears glasses with her hair tied back, the universal symbol of ugliness and undesirability.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

raditts posted:

Felicity wears glasses with her hair tied back, the universal symbol of ugliness and undesirability.

I do love that they fully embraced that trope, having her hair down and contacts in during the romantic times.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Yeah, so Riverdale is pretty loving good. I think I admire it more than I actually like it -- in the sense that I admire the balls it takes to turn a comic known for being a lighthearted romp into a melodramatic teen soap centered around a murder mystery, even if cognitive dissonance has been Archie's thing for a few years now. But I admire it a whole hell of a lot, and I'm very curious where it's going to go.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I thought it was ok but nothing special. Everyone in HS looks like they're 30 but I guess that's par for CW. I'll keep watching but I'd prefer more murder mystery than cheerleader drama.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've read comics my whole life, but never Archie. It never had any appeal to me as a kid, a teenager, and certainly not now. That said, the company has become a lot more progressive and hired some A-list writers and artists to dust off these old properties, take some risks, and make them relevant for the 21st Century.

This article by Abraham Riesman (really good writer for Vulture/New York Magazine who loves comics) made me appreciate it that much more, seeing as how it's a lifelong passion project for the showrunner, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa. When people who give a poo poo about comic characters and concepts get the chance to adapt them to TV or film, it works so much better than Hollywood hacks who change everything due to not understanding or respecting the source material or the audience. This isn't the Archie gang that was around for 70+ years, but that's a good thing. At least he cared enough to do something interesting, and it shows.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/01/archie-riverdale-cw-c-v-r.html

I enjoyed the Riverdale pilot a lot, maybe due to having a rough week out in the world and craving some normalcy and "comfort food." Riverdale seemed to borrow liberally from two of my favorite shows, Twin Peaks and Veronica Mars, and I liked the darker tone. The actors all seem well-cast, and the show looked great. I'm not into teen melodramas, although I seem to be just fine with comic-inspired melodramas.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

Her forehead is too big when she doesn't wear the glasses.

For CW she's basically a monster.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I like how he calls his little boy Lobo, because he's a total savage.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHSqngVhh7c/?taken-by=prideofgypsies

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, so Riverdale is pretty loving good. I think I admire it more than I actually like it -- in the sense that I admire the balls it takes to turn a comic known for being a lighthearted romp into a melodramatic teen soap centered around a murder mystery, even if cognitive dissonance has been Archie's thing for a few years now. But I admire it a whole hell of a lot, and I'm very curious where it's going to go.

Yeah it takes real balls to make a standard issue melodramatic teen soap with, shock! a murder mystery! Real groundbreaking stuff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

trash person posted:

Is every CW casting call just, 'Note, must be hot as poo poo.'

Yes. Most TV shows cast models as "normal people", but CW uses underwear models.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah it takes real balls to make a standard issue melodramatic teen soap with, shock! a murder mystery! Real groundbreaking stuff.

Whats the deal with this trope anyways? Veronica Mars/Nancy Drew kids grown up and with decision making power? I would like a Nancy Drew show actually.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sarah Shahi filmed a modern day Nancy Drew pilot but it's been canned.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't Nancy Drew a teenager?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
They're all teenagers!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wandle Cax posted:

It's a 70+ year old property that is being presented in a way that is faithful to the characters but is miles away from its original tone. The changes that were made are the kind that tend to get mocked as cynical studio mandates, but they're being done with sincerity. Yeah, I'd say that takes some minerals.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
It's a 70+ year old comic that's been turned into any other teen soap we've seen 100 times before, I don't see how that's special. If it were presented as its original tone while still being a serviceable modern drama that might have been worth some praise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Isn't Nancy Drew a teenager?

It was a grown up Nancy Drew.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

It was a grown up Nancy Drew.

THIS SHALL NOT STAND

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wandle Cax posted:

It's a 70+ year old comic that's been turned into any other teen soap we've seen 100 times before, I don't see how that's special.

I'm not saying it's special, I'm saying we live in a purist culture where changes to source material are seen as betrayals of that source material. You can say it's Archie and nobody gives a gently caress -- which is part of the point of that fantastic Vulture article that was posted upthread -- but that's still a hell of a lot of history to just ignore, and that takes a certain amount of courage.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

I'm not saying it's special, I'm saying we live in a purist culture where changes to source material are seen as betrayals of that source material. You can say it's Archie and nobody gives a gently caress -- which is part of the point of that fantastic Vulture article that was posted upthread -- but that's still a hell of a lot of history to just ignore, and that takes a certain amount of courage.

And the showrunner who made those changes was a true lifelong fan, not some suit who completely misses the point. In another article I read this week, some meddling exec wanted to make an Archie movie with time travel or "portals," and possibly cast Louis C.K. as Archie. Aguirre-Sacasa and comic publisher Jon Goldwater probably backed out of that meeting very slowly, looking scared.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, the creator of the show is clearly a lifelong Archie fan--even the excellent Afterlife With Archie comic that he writes shows a fairly good grasp of Archie's history, and the show definitely nailed the core characters. (full disclosure--I am also a lifelong Archie fan)

The strength of the Archie property--whose potential Archie Comics itself only started to realize a little under a decade ago--is that the archetypes that their comics practically invented half a century ago are so ingrained in cultural consciousness that you can cast them in basically any situation and automatically have a team of core characters that people will immediately "get" than a newly invented cast of teens, even if the viewer has never read Archie. I would compare it to casting a well known character actor in a role that they're always known for playing, while changing things like making Moose gay is less for the shock value than it is for the novelty of seeing them play against type.

Riverdale is not the 60s idea of Archie, that's for sure, but Archie comics have been so carefree about their continuity that it's hard to say what constitutes "made them edgier" versus "gave them a different perspective". Jughead's gone from hating women to having two girlfriends to being asexual to whatever he is now, Moose has gone from stupid to just dyslexic, and Hiram Lodge has wavered back and forth between being Warren Buffett and Donald Trump.

Heck, Jughead was famously a member of a time-travelling task force back in the 90s, so even that time-travelling Archie movie wouldn't have been unprecedented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Nobody in Canada watched Mary Kills People or Cardinal last week? Both got good reviews pre-premiere. Especially interested in MKP as it stars one of my eternal crushes in Caroline Dhavernas.

• Locked thread